Register

Bisexual and Bipolar

Has anyone else noticed a connection here?

Re: Bisexual and Bipolar

Yes, I think you are on to something.... I'm serious. I agree. I have even 'met' some people on this site that should probably be medicated or at least see a therapist. I don't know if the people I'm referring to have or do, but just sayin'.

Hypersexuality is on the list of symproms of Bipolar Disorder.

Perhaps you are struggling with hypersexuality. Hypersexuality is an increased need, even pressure, for sexual gratification and is often a symptom of mania. It may also include decreased inhibitions or a need for "forbidden" sex. A forum member in our community described her experiences as follows: "I have a very low sex drive unless I'm manic, in which case I'm willing to do it with anyone or anything, male or female, married or unmarried - all my morals go right out the window. I have gotten myself in serious trouble this way. Aaaagggh!!" Another wrote: "I'll go a few weeks and have to be with my husband every night, sometimes waking him up in the middle of the night if I wake up."
    emphasis mine
    Last edited by MarieDelta; Oct 27, 2010 at 12:06 PM.
    The third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. The second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. The first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.
    —A. A. Milne
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7E-aoXLZGY

Had a bf here that turned out to be bipolar. Ain't no joke. I had no idea how serious bipolar disorder can be. Personality changes, audio hallucinations and all manner of delusions, subconsciously stealing and losing communication devices... it was hell.

But no, I was the bi one. He was gay as the month of May. Had no comprehension of my bisexuality and hated it. And yet I was part of a pattern of his, of attracting bisexual men.
    Cheers
    Atiq

.................................................. .................................................. ........
    I'll decide between men and women the day you decide between food and oxygen.

When people talk about the fluidity of their sexuality my thoughts go to neurochemicals. If this is the case, that brain chemistry affects sexuality then those of us who wish the bi side would go away might be able to achieve this through medication.

Quote Originally Posted by WolfKing View Post
    Has anyone else noticed a connection here?
    ...haven't seen it as a connection; otherwise, it would once again be one of those attempts to define bisexuality as maladjustment. once again, to put a name to it, bisexuality is a norm, not a dysfunction!
    get in! sit down! hold on! and shut up!

Quote Originally Posted by NotLostJustWandering View Post
    But no, I was the bi one. He was gay as the month of May. Had no comprehension of my bisexuality and hated it. And yet I was part of a pattern of his, of attracting bisexual men.
    Hmmmm maybe he was living vicariously (bisexually) through you....

Maybe he was only as Gay as March (I never knew May was Gay :-) but what do I know )

Quote Originally Posted by SodomandGomorrahShow View Post
    There is no relationship between being bisexual and being manic, bipolar or manic depressive.

One is a sexual orientation. The other is a mental illness.

It's not like when someone is bipolar and in a manic state they suddenly become as though they are bisexual and fuck anyone. It's not the case, their sexual orientation/preference remains intact.

If you have a mental illness or chemical disorder like being bipolar or manic depressive medications can help. These medications are not going to make you stop being bisexual or gay/lesbian or somehow change your sexuality.
    I vaguely recall a thread a while ago where more than one person stated that their same sex attractions increased as their mood decreased. Even I notice that as my mood elevates my sexuality moves more towards heterosexuality. There could be multiple scenarios that trigger bisexuality - from physical to neurochemical. I recall doing some reading about this the last time it came up. If I get a chance tonight I'll look again for research I found.

Quickly I was able to find this about turning fruit flies bisexual.
    Bisexual Fruit Flies Show New Role For Neurochemical

It's not a direct path from there to humans, but it shows there is some role for brain chemistry.

Quote Originally Posted by NEPHX View Post
    Hmmmm maybe he was living vicariously (bisexually) through you....
    ??? No, that he kept winding up with bi partners was something he didn't understand. Certainly had no tolerance for it.

Quote Originally Posted by NEPHX View Post
    Maybe he was only as Gay as March
    Mad as a March Hare, anyway.
    Cheers
    Atiq

.................................................. .................................................. ........

Quote Originally Posted by slipnslide View Post
    I vaguely recall a thread a while ago where more than one person stated that their same sex attractions increased as their mood decreased. Even I notice that as my mood elevates my sexuality moves more towards heterosexuality.
    Hmm. Would like to read that thread if you can find it.

I'm a moody bugger, but have noticed no relation between shifts of mood and shifts of preference. I do seem to go through periods of preferring one over the other, but have no idea what influences that. I think the people I meet have a greater effect on me than anything neurochemical. Even when going through a pendulum swing I have fallen for people of the gender opposite to my preferred gender at the time, and had dizzying reversals, like doing a hairpin turn at 90 mph.

Right now I really have no idea if I'm in a homo-leaning phase, or if it's just that there are a lot more men than women around here, so more of the hotties I meet are male.
    Last edited by NotLostJustWandering; Oct 28, 2010 at 6:57 PM.
    Cheers
    Atiq

Quote Originally Posted by citystyleguy View Post
    ... bisexuality is a norm, not a dysfunction!
    I am Bisexual and I am Bipolar. Neither One is a Dysfunction.

Every One knows I'm Bisexual.

No one knew of my Bipolar until now.