Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Cool Re: Brokeback Mountain: The Sorta Gay Cowboy Movie

Quote Originally Posted by stimpycat
    Very interesting article - you should check out 'metrodaddy' Mark Simpson's review of the film; it seems he has a similar take:

Lonesome metro-cowboys

'Brokeback Mountain', front-runner in the Oscar nomination race and big winner at the recent Golden Globes has been dubbed the ‘gay cowboy movie’. Mark Simpson the ‘father’ of the metrosexual argues it’s more metro than homo and explains why its unconvincing nature is probably the reason for its success

http://www.marksimpson.com/pages/jou...o-cowboys.html
    This is a great article. Of course, it expresses what I think of the film. I do think I need the support group!

Re: Brokeback Mountain: The Sorta Gay Cowboy Movie

John R, nicely written.. but I disagree. Ultrmax.. concur. I'm an Ennis. I have a love I see about twice a year. Our distances are a lot further. He comes from Europe to vist. I so cherrish our times together. I'm bi. I could be gay. I'm married and have two children and four grandchildren. I was so very moved by the similarities in their lives as in mine. I loved the movie. Say what you will, as a very 'bi' person, it was fantabulous!! I felt drained when it was over and so very much alive that a movie was made about the exact way my life is and the way I feel.. Bravo Zulu!! Well done!! I don't give a rip what you say.. critics aren't always right. For me it was. I think it should be seen by all and it deserves every award it has been nominated for.

Wink Re: Brokeback Mountain: The Sorta Gay Cowboy Movie

Well, the whole thing has ruined my personal style. I was wearing cowboy boots and hat (I was an actual cowboy-until I broke my back in an accident) before the damned movie and now when I wear them I'm doing the "brokeback mtn" thing.... and none of you see the huge joke running through the entire movie...the guys aren't "Cowboys", helloo... they herd sheep - they're "sheepherders".... you know like "MARY had a little lamb"...."Montana where the men are men and the sheep are scared"....I think Eng Lee is pulling a fast one on all of us...LOL

Talking Re: Brokeback Mountain: The Sorta Gay Cowboy Movie

Quote Originally Posted by otter4bear
    and none of you see the huge joke running through the entire movie...the guys aren't "Cowboys", helloo... they herd sheep - they're "sheepherders".... you know like "MARY had a little lamb"...."Montana where the men are men and the sheep are scared"....I think Eng Lee is pulling a fast one on all of us...LOL
    rofl - that is such a funny reply - thankyou you've just made my day!

Sorry to hear about your back though - very much not so funny.
    All the best to you.

Love and Peace

Rupe
    Love conquers all

I agree with otter4bear in large part. I grew up in Wyoming and although I realize sheep can be grazed in the high mountains it doesn't happen often, especially in the part of Wyoming this took place. Plenty of good pasture in the lower elevations. Also, I have never seen sheepherders without dogs. Remember this is the 50"s, no atv's to use. The two guys were cowboys that took a job as sheepherders, not real uncommon. God almighty, didn't those two like to fuck in a bed?

Personally, I liked the movie, didn't think the acting was all that great. The story was good.
    RUN FOR YOUR LIFE

The highest reward for a person's effort is not what they get for it, but what they become by it

Cool Re: Brokeback Mountain: The Sorta Gay Cowboy Movie

Quote Originally Posted by otter4bear
    Well, the whole thing has ruined my personal style. I was wearing cowboy boots and hat (I was an actual cowboy-until I broke my back in an accident) before the damned movie and now when I wear them I'm doing the "brokeback mtn" thing.... and none of you see the huge joke running through the entire movie...the guys aren't "Cowboys", helloo... they herd sheep - they're "sheepherders".... you know like "MARY had a little lamb"...."Montana where the men are men and the sheep are scared"....I think Eng Lee is pulling a fast one on all of us...LOL

That is the best thing anyone has said about this movie... why the hell didn't I think of that? ROTFLMAO!

And yes, I too refuse to wear my black cowboy hat for fear of the association to this film. Pisses me off really.

I saw Brokeback Mountain twice, the first time with my girlfriend (more on that later) and the second time with 3 gay male friends.

I've read the short story, and the movie holds true to the story more than most movies do. The ending was slightly different, and much more powerful than in the story. Otherwise, it held very few surprises for me for a number of reasons, mostly because of my history.

The past 10 years have been spent in close company and in dear friendships with closeted bi married men. I've listened to their stories, held them as they cried in anguish and confusion and tried to help with their wives (when asked) as the closet doors came open.

Brokeback Mountain was the personification of the past 10 years, bringing together the common thread in so many of my guys lives.

I fell in love with Ennis, with his struggle to do the "right" thing (as he knew it) by his wife and daughters, with his torn heart yearning for Jack. Jack was the one willing to take shortcuts, to cut corners, while Ennis understood committment.

Ennis is a monogamous bisexual, and I think this is the point that the original poster missed. Some bisexuals are monogamous, some are not. In the era that the story is set in, it made Ennis' life impossible any other way than the way he struggled to live it.

Now Otterbear...those poor schmoes were "moonlighting" for the summer working the sheep herds. Quite a come-down for cowboys, I know. But you'll remember, that Ennis was working for ranchers around the area, and Jack was riding bucking stock in the rodeos.

Rather than "cowboys", us country folks would just call 'em
    "hands".

Brokeback is a great film. Great films are hard to come by and this one has moved and touched many people and caused them to think deeply about thier lives and the society we live in. This is something great artists seek to accomplish.

I've been out 18 yrs as a gay male and never had a bf. Closest I came was my bi lover of 2 years, but he's like Ennis to a T. I, like Jack couldn't get him to come around. But we're not dead yet, some people are even though they claim to be alive. I make films too and was very happy to read how it impacted many people here. I was devastated and depressed for a week after reading the short story which say somethings the film can't show. I recommend it highly. best of luck, anything is possible and the world will change.

xx T.

My wife and I saw it the day it opened in Memphis. It only showed in 1 theater, and that in the "artsy-downtown area" (the accepted "gay" part of town).

We both thought it was groundbreaking.

We both thought it could have been a little different (better?)

We did both comment on many aspects of the movie and discussed it frequently afterwards however....

The thing that struck us both (and still does) is how incredibly sad it was. So much pain, so much confusion and turmoil. So little happiness.
    I believe that all mammals are inherently bisexual to one degree or another. Many of the greatest learned cultures in history accepted it. So... When did it suddenly become so wrong?

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Midsouth_Bisexual_Guys_Support_Group/

I just came out to my Mom today about being a Bisexual. She was'nt surprised and finds out that my Step-dad already kinda knew for a long time now. Anyways, she brought up that she saw Brokeback Mountain and she said good movie, but it was sad at the end?? I have'nt seen the movie yet, but can someone explain why that is?. Thank you..

I have seen the movie twice now. I bought the movie and watched it at home by myself. I absolutely loved the movie and was just in awwww through out the whole thing. Maybe it's just me....but after just finding out your husband is bi, to me it was a real eye opener.
    There was alot of confusion, alot of hurt feelings and it was sad. I cried alot, but then I cry very easily anyway. The ending was not what I expected and I think if anyone told the ending it would ruin the whole movie for you biangel.

I recently bought the movie to watch with my honey Ken.

It was rather telling - he couldn't sit through it. I think it was too deeply moving, touched too many tender places.

Azrael

Watched it a few nights ago. Very sad indeed. Quite moving as well- gave me a lot of respect for Heath Ledger's talents as an actor. For some, it's not a far cry from the environment they find themselves stuck in- that is to say being constantly teased with happiness.

I tried watching it recently. I thought that I would really enjoy it. But I fell asleep because it was long and drawn out. I'll have to watch it again where I left off. Thanks to the magic of DVD, I can do that. What I did get to see was great. Fallin asleep doesn't mean I didn't like it, Took me three times to watch Silence of the Lambs in it entirety.

I'm not nearly as skilled or eloquent a writer as the person who started this thread but I do have a few comments.

I've seen Brokeback twice on Pay Per View on Dish Network. It's on there fairly often if you can't find it otherwise.

First off I don't believe that Ennis discovered his Gay or Bi side while in the presence of Jack up on the mountain. The fact that he tried to sleep out in the cold rather than get in the tent with Jack gives it away. Two completely straight guys would have slept together, side by side in that tent without every having a sexual thought. The fact that they didn't is testiment to the fact that Ennis knew Jack was gay and knew that he was gay (or bi) and was trying to resist or deny the fact. (denial is something I have had a lot of experience with as I suspect many of you have too). It would leave one to believe that Ennis had thought about gay sex for a long time but had tried to stay straight. Thus his reluctance to be close to Jack in either a physical or emotional way.

Second, the actual sex scene, which I found to be a bit course to say the least, shows Jack reaching over to a sleeping Ennis, taking his hand and placing it on his (Jack's) cock. This scene just didn't seem realistic to me.
    Ennis' reaction is to jerk away as if shocked, surprised and mad. However, within 5 seconds of his shocked reaction (in this otherwise SLOW movie) he snatches down his pants, spits on his hand, rubs it on Jacks ass and rams his cock home as if he had done it many times before and just wanted to be finished with it.

That whole scene just didn't add up and seemed as if the writer just wanted to rush through the "ordeal" and be done with it. Is it possible that straight folks wrote the movie?

Overall I like the film. The scenery is beautiful and for the most part it is a reasonable depiction of the double life experienced by many "in the closet" gays and bi's. Myself included. I just think the initial sex scene was poorly written and acted.

Quote Originally Posted by hottrodd
    I'm not nearly as skilled or eloquent a writer as the person who started this thread but I do have a few comments.

I've seen Brokeback twice on Pay Per View on Dish Network. It's on there fairly often if you can't find it otherwise.

First off I don't believe that Ennis discovered his Gay or Bi side while in the presence of Jack up on the mountain. The fact that he tried to sleep out in the cold rather than get in the tent with Jack gives it away. Two completely straight guys would have slept together, side by side in that tent without every having a sexual thought. The fact that they didn't is testiment to the fact that Ennis knew Jack was gay and knew that he was gay (or bi) and was trying to resist or deny the fact. (denial is something I have had a lot of experience with as I suspect many of you have too). It would leave one to believe that Ennis had thought about gay sex for a long time but had tried to stay straight. Thus his reluctance to be close to Jack in either a physical or emotional way.

Second, the actual sex scene, which I found to be a bit course to say the least, shows Jack reaching over to a sleeping Ennis, taking his hand and placing it on his (Jack's) cock. This scene just didn't seem realistic to me.
    Ennis' reaction is to jerk away as if shocked, surprised and mad. However, within 5 seconds of his shocked reaction (in this otherwise SLOW movie) he snatches down his pants, spits on his hand, rubs it on Jacks ass and rams his cock home as if he had done it many times before and just wanted to be finished with it.

That whole scene just didn't add up and seemed as if the writer just wanted to rush through the "ordeal" and be done with it. Is it possible that straight folks wrote the movie?

Overall I like the film. The scenery is beautiful and for the most part it is a reasonable depiction of the double life experienced by many "in the closet" gays and bi's. Myself included. I just think the initial sex scene was poorly written and acted.
    I must agree with most of your opinions here. I just watched it last night on Direct TV. I hardly watch dramas at all but since there was so much buzz and hype about it I had to. Most dramas are slow, and yes I think the characters first sexual encounter was not that realistic, I expected them to argue or fight, they did though too briefly. Denial happens to all of us of any sexual orientation or tendency, but I don't see it as the big theme here. Given the time period, social status of the characters and that region of the US, it would have been a scandalous at the time.

I really hated that this was a sad story for all the parties (characters) involved. Once Enis was divorced he should have gone straight (no pun intended) to Jack, he clearly did love him. I don't see the movie as being gay or bi, but rather a sad love story, they were really star crossed lovers. They were really in love with each other and were afraid to show that love to the world. I would have written a different happier ending. I was so sad, and tears ran down my face when Ennis saw the two shirts together. He should have listened to Jack.
    Lonelyness is a big issue for me, and I couldn't stand seeing Ennis all alone in the end. I cried my eyes out. It wasn't fair in any way.

On a happier note I don't think I have ever seen two men kiss each other that passionately nor held so much so affection for each other ever on any film.

I really enjoyed your essay, as well as many of the responses to it, but I must, must say this: Please stop referring to those who seek to destroy you and your good names as "Christians". There's nothing Christian about what they try to do to you. Read the Gospel of St. Matthew, preferably the Good News Edition(Today's English Version). Once you read that, you'll know that those people do, "preach" and "teach" the exact opposite of what Jesus Christ actually taught, felt and said. Those people are no more followers of JC's teachings than I am the illegitimate son of Prince Charles & Camilla!
    BTW, truth is, they really hate JC's teachings, and "lose it" when one of us confronts one of them w/ something He actually said, esp. when it completely obliterates one of their hateful, misused "scriptures". They just call themselves "C's" for the perceived status, as if using that name outright will somehow make people drop their guard and listen to their bigotry. They can't be openly racist or sexist anymore, so they focus on us, though most of them are bi or gay too. Example: Jerry Falwell. Bisexual. Don't believe? Check your radars the next time you see his image and ask yourself...
    It's time to take JC back from those who preach hate, bigotry, self-loathing, misery-spreading and ignorance and claim to do it in His name! JC taught about love of yourself and your fellow man. Anyone who teaches anything other than that simple message really isn't teaching his word, as I see it.
    It's time to refer to them as they are: Pseudo-Religious Bigots. If they were Klan members, preaching racism and the murder and destruction of people of color, would you still refer to them as "Christian "Right"(WTF?)". I hope not. So, why do you deserve any less consideration?
    BTW, that old guy who ALWAYS protests outside of gay funerals, etc., is at least a Kinsey 5, if not more. Check your bi-dars.

kinda love this movie... reminds me of my past relationship.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bru.jpg  

Um, I live in WYO, and weren't they sheep herders instead of cowboys, besides I never have met any one like that , yet, besides I have yet to watch the movie, just a comment.

Mark Simpson rocks.

I haven't seen the movie but I have wanted to. After reading all your comments, I'm not sure I want to. -- This I have to say: your comments bring me to the realization that Hollywood does not make realistic movies because people do not want to see reaslistic movies. They can see realism all around them all day every day 24/7/365. What people want to see is:unreal, different and relaxing. And new. It is better than getting drunk and puking up all over the place. If Brokeback is confusing to so many because of its almost real topic, maybe that is beneficial because it makes most of us THINK. Maybe that is what is its virtue.
    But I don't want to cry for 3 or 4 hours. And I might do that because my love life has been 90% miserable. The other 10% was wonderful but I destroyed it anyway. So sad - I wish I could do it over and change the ending --but I can't do that either.
    I use the name Crazy Owl because I spent 30+ years in psychotherapy trying to find reality. I also have an IQ of 180+ which gives me enough balance to survive in this crazy world.
    Love is the answer....if I/you/we can handle it.
    Crazy Owl, age 80

i didnt like the movie. its sucked. and they were BISEXUAL NOT GAY.
    they both got exicted to girls too.

Sorry, I do the same

I think the article has good points but I don't like the point about Ennis not being bisexual because he did not want to love/have sexual attraction towards other people of both genders throughout his life. I think that's insulting to bisexuals. It makes us seem like we are only out for a constant orgy with all different people of both genders. Sure, some may be like that. But some may love one person for the rest of their life.
    That's like saying he's not a straight man if he isn't constantly chasing skirts when his wife isn't looking.
    so close no matter how far
    couldn't be much more from the heart
    forever trusting who we are
    and
    nothing else matters

Quote Originally Posted by sometimesitbethatway View Post
    I think the article has good points but I don't like the point about Ennis not being bisexual because he did not want to love/have sexual attraction towards other people of both genders throughout his life. I think that's insulting to bisexuals. It makes us seem like we are only out for a constant orgy with all different people of both genders. Sure, some may be like that. But some may love one person for the rest of their life.
    That's like saying he's not a straight man if he isn't constantly chasing skirts when his wife isn't looking.

I do hate that notion that somehow if you are "bisexual" then you are the ultimate slut----just one of those myths that gets put out there as "fact!"
    "Injustice anywhere is injustice everywhere..." Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.