Register
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Bisexual.com's Interview with Angie Bowie

By Jon Pressick

Angie Bowie is far more than a famous last name. Yes, she was married to David Bowie. She is widely-considered as a main influence on David’s breakout years in the early 70’s. But she is so much more than just attached to that last name. A highly considered writer, musician, dj and bisexual advocate, Angie is a true renaissance woman.

Born in Cyprus, Angie spent her youth being educated in England, Switzerland and the United States. She was expelled from the Connecticut College for Women for having an affair with another student. She met David in 1969 and they married a year later. They have one son together. She also has a daughter with punk musician Drew Blood.

With the release of her autobiographical bestseller, Backstage Passes: Life on the Wild Side with David Bowie in 1993, and the fact that the delicious film Velvet Goldmine is loosely based on her life with David, you might think Angie Bowie is just another groupie. Far from it. This is a person who has continually challenged her self in many different artistic genres. She’s released an album called Moon Goddess and she recently released a new book, POP.SEX.

She is also a frequent commentator on bisexuality. In 2002 she authored the Pocket Essentials book Bisexuality. Her Lecture on Bisexuality can be found on her website, and it is definitely a provocative read. She also has a website for people to ask her questions. I caught up with her for bisexual.com via email, after missing her recent visit to Toronto for a djing gig.

What do you think are the major issues for bisexuals over the time since you discovered your bisexuality, from the 60s to present?

The major issues for bisexuals since the 1960s are visibility and health—the advent of AIDS and its discovery in the early 1980s and not being seen, not being known, having no voice, this was not a good time or a good thing. Focusing attention on the existence of bisexuality was more subtle and required more time and due diligence to make the case and consistently be sane and rational so that entertainment stereotypes of crazy bisexuals were discarded and there was a fair playing field for all sexuality. There was always an issue with venereal disease. Multiple partners and licentious behavior do not encourage good health, honesty or safe sexual practices.

One cannot allow one’s sexual behavior to upset the general good health of friends and partners by selfishly doing whatever you want with no thought as to the possibility that disease could be the result of not taking precautions.

One of the most disturbing trends in the United States are lobbyists and pressure groups who aim to influence our youth by peddling commercials and jargon vilifying termination of pregnancies and the right to choose whether one becomes pregnant and another group who are advocating preserving virginity until one marries. They have to advertise marriage because most folks apart from the odd future parent who does not have the reserve resources of a career or job training need a fiscal guarantee to care for the children.

There has been a significant growth in sex clubs and singles or couples sex clubs that swap partners etc.

The emphasis on taking sexuality to extremes bothers me and yet there is a huge difference in costuming and dress-up since the 1960s. Hopefully this has caused less sexual repression and more pleasure and satisfaction for the average person.

At least the talking points have been established so that now for some folks there is a way to live without the confines of marriage and relationships that are not satisfactory.

Without marriage we still benefit from monogamy.

Monogamy is a much more satisfactory and ethical way of dealing with relationships. Living one’s life as a Soap Opera is tiresome at best and fatal when bottom-lined!

Sexuality itself is an interesting subject and way to encourage folks to talk endlessly about themselves. We are all so sure that no-one has ever experienced our exact dilemma “sexually!” I am here to tell you that you’re wrong!

If you have experienced it; there are several million who share your experience. Terrifying though it is, just as there are aliens due to the sheer number of planets and stars so someone else has thought of what you are thinking and describing.

There are 20 million hermaphrodites on the planet at any one time. In my new book POP.SEX the collected facts about sexuality are remarkable and astounding; to the point that one’s previous conversations on the subject
    melt like warm ice-cream.

Did you ever waver in your bisexuality? Did you question yourself?
    Yes, of course I questioned myself. I never wavered in my belief that bisexuality is perfectly acceptable and a choice that one makes. But when you hear all the tired old cliches from drunken people in bars that you are not bisexual you must be either straight or gay and live that way. I wanted to respond, and have on many occasions, that that is even more unfair than the challenges that gay folks and women have endured for years. If I am not totally straight why should I be gay…because you say so?

Why should I abandon the sexuality that suits me because others think it is their place to tell me how to enjoy my sexuality? I would not practice any sexuality apart from that of the committed relationship in which ones finds oneself.

Who did you look up to as a bisexual icon or role-model?
    Oscar Wilde. Oscar Wilde epitomizes the bisexual hero. The Ballad of Reading Gaol hastened prison reform in Victorian England. All those public School boys couldn’t bear the thought of one of their own and an Irishman enduring that sort of barbaric imprisonment for something that many of them had dabbled in at school when there weren’t any women around. Wilde’s refusal to give in to his lover, Lord Alfred Douglas’ oafish father cost him his health and career after two years of hard labor he was broken by the legal system. In the British legal system at that time it was against the law to be Gay. “One could not practice sodomy either men or women. The Church was in everyone’s bedroom.” Oscar Wilde protected his wife and children from public scrutiny and humiliation; as a result we almost did not realize what a magnificent, talented, witty and devoted bisexual father, Oscar Wilde was.

Any specific persons of note these days you look up to?
    Concerning sexuality? There are a few exemplary folks around but in this time of Republican rabble, their effectiveness is lost in the cacophony of moral and religious indignation about a pat on the butt or a sneak view that shouldn’t have happened of someone’s tit. It’s all bullshit. “Thou protest too much.”

Gay marriage, there’s another non-issue that the religious right drag out when the American politicians have painted themselves into a corner. That and flag burning. Most gay people are not dumb enough to want the chains of marriage. But gay and bisexual folk should have the right to ensure succession, inheritance and health insurance for their family and loved ones. Why should they stand in the corner and feel deprived because we did not stand up and make it widespread this wonderful bill of human rights that should be in every person’s house and car has not been upheld.

How do you incorporate your bisexuality into your work and your art?
    I don’t think like that. I am who I am. The word art is bandied around too much by those who want to excuse laziness with being “artistic.“ You become an artist when you have painted, sculpted or whatever your forte in the fine arts and been apprenticed at a great master’s side for 30 years.

I am not judgmental about sexuality except I have no time for pedophiles or those who torture and condemn animals to participate in bestiality.

How have you spoken to your children about your bisexuality and
    bisexuality in general?

My children know my music and my books, there is no necessity to discuss it with them.

How did your parents and family react to your bisexuality?
    They never reacted at all. My parents had no interest in that type of conversation . They were older; I was an afterthought!

Wisdom comes with age. Wisdom includes the lack of interest in playing selection card games as we did as children and as we reach our late 30s, the selection template of our genetic make-up scrolls through the candidates for sex as we prowl through the “need-to-procreate” years. After that time we define ourselves less sexually and more intellectually as we appreciate the breadth and width of human experience.

As humans, we do not lose our interest in sex, we define our reasons for having sex more closely. Thus before one might be driven to couple due to the desire to procreate which affects humans for 25-30 years. The first 10 years we are way too young and the middle period of our sexual prowess 25-40 affords the next generation. After that we start to value the relaxation, decreased stress and all round good times of sex for exercise and well-being.

Your art has spanned many different genres...can you tell us what you’re working on currently?
    I am involved in writing several books with some very good friends. I think I had better wait before making any press releases on those projects. And we are selling POP.SEX.

What types of art you might like to revisit?
    I am assembling a new album of music and spoken word called Fancy Footwork. Stage work where I can still light up a stage and chew down the scenery!

What currently message do you have for the members of bisexual.com?
    Enjoy life with your career, your talent, your children, your job, your family. Find endeavors that maximize your creativity and satisfaction. We have but one life, all the rest is smoke and shadows. Promises of life after death notwithstanding, surely there must be points for having enjoyed a corporal existence while in the physical plane. That’s my lot!

(c) Copryight 2005 Jon Pressick

Jon Pressick is the Feature Articles Editor for bisexual.com. He recently co-produced, with Xtra!, the world’s first queer literary festival, Writing Outside the Margins. Hi lives and works in Toronto, Canada.
    Last edited by Drew; Nov 9, 2007 at 10:35 AM.

Re: Bisexual.com's Interview with Angie Bowie

Well - well - well..Hooray for Angie.
    I have done many veryu interesting things in my life and one of them was to become involved in a bisexual rap group in Boston from 1973 to 1975 (three winters). It happened in my Living room for 2 years. I listened and listened and listened. At the end of it I knew more about sexuality than ANYONE. Also I began to realize that there are more bisexuals than anything else - homos and heteros. And today, with all the sexual liberation of the last40 years, I believe there are more bi's than homos + heteros + cellibates !!! Especially among the 20 year-olds. Us older ones are mostly in the closet.
    Thank the Great Mystery for Angie. She is kicking the closet door down!

Crazy Owl Bi at 80 and public.

Exclamation Re: Bisexual.com's Interview with Angie Bowie

It was during those "bowie years" that I almost came out of the closet, but now I'm glad I stayed safely inside!

Society's whims tend to make radical changes, since HIV/AIDS?SIDA has raised it's ugly head, it's not "trendy" to be gay/bi/lez!

I'd hope the day would arrive when the "status quo" wouldn't deem us aliens, but so far..."they" have!

I appreciate the Bowies for their outspokeness, while others are too afraid. Sadly this fear is death...

Quote Originally Posted by richarddennis View Post
    It was during those "bowie years" that I almost came out of the closet, but now I'm glad I stayed safely inside!

Society's whims tend to make radical changes, since HIV/AIDS?SIDA has raised it's ugly head, it's not "trendy" to be gay/bi/lez!

I'd hope the day would arrive when the "status quo" wouldn't deem us aliens, but so far..."they" have!

I appreciate the Bowies for their outspokeness, while others are too afraid. Sadly this fear is death...
    don't be afraid.

who says life is easier in the closet?

Who care if it not trendy to be gay/bi?

Why isn't Angie Bowies' bisexual hero her ex husband David?

str8 ppl can get AIDS too and many have it, spread it, and do not know they have it since they think it disease for gay men and junky.

While I applaud your "outness", it is not for everyone!

Society tends to treat "outsiders" with a grim determination, whether it be confrontational or behind your back!

I sincerely hope your "outness" never depreciates your quality of life, but I know only too well that even "well meaning" family members and friends, let alone, coworkers or BOSSES/government disregard equality and consider bisexuals as little more than gays and ARE threatened immensely!!

While you may be overjoyed to flaunt your "openness" there are many of us that are downright afraid and with good reason to be!

Living in gay/bi/les friendly areas is one thing, living in the real world is...reality!

I wish you only the best, but hope you never become "dead right"...the lingering reality of our constitutional rights are swell in court...but on the street you might be surprised...

Has anyone here figured out what connection that photo has with the article?
    Why must it be "either/or", why can't it be "and"? Love needs to be inclusive, not exclusive.

The photo is of the author of the article...me!

Quote Originally Posted by tradeqt View Post
    The photo is of the author of the article...me!
    Thank you, Mr. Pressick, for reliving that confusion, because I was like, that doesn't look like Angie Bowie.

*Taylor*
    You can't change the way I am. . .are you strong enough to be my man?
    --Sheryl Crow

Protect your unicorn!!

Pssst! There's naked men ------------->Here!

آزادی راست کاملاموجودات ذی شعوراست

Thank you. . .

Unofficial Community Leader

Talking Re: Bisexual.com's Interview with Angie Bowie

Quote Originally Posted by TaylorMade View Post
    Thank you, Mr. Pressick, for reliving that confusion, because I was like, that doesn't look like Angie Bowie.
    Perhaps Angie Bowie is the young lady who is curiously positioned with her head between Mr. Pressick's legs? Or is that just me lettiing my imagination run wild...
    "I used to be influenced by peer pressure, but my friends talked me out of it."

Oh, thank you! I'm so happy to know that Angie Bowie doesn't have a beard and 'stash.
    Why must it be "either/or", why can't it be "and"? Love needs to be inclusive, not exclusive.

Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    Perhaps Angie Bowie is the young lady who is curiously positioned with her head between Mr. Pressick's legs? Or is that just me lettiing my imagination run wild...
    Hehehe, I wondered if anyone would notice that!
    No great story there, other than an eager photographer trying to get a good shot....of the band on stage!

Hey yall was wonderinin if there was any hot sexy bi chiks i herre holla back now!

frankly, I don't care about celebrities, thanks.

when is a new article going up for us to read?

Nice article. Bring Angie around with a fifth of Johnny Walker Red and see what I come up with -Buster Highman, City Affairs desk, The Patriot, Nashville, TN

Thumbs down Re: Bisexual.com's Interview with Angie Bowie

How long is long enough, to leave one artical up,Shouldn't this one be burried already??
    I do not always make the best decisions.
    I'm not always right, but I do stand by my
    decisions until proved wrong.
    Hum, guess I'm still human after all !!!

Is there a way to hide this article? I'm kind of tired of seeing it personally...

Yup, we gotta agree. Time to change the article. Been up there way too long. Let's move on.

normally i mnot one to be pissed of but the fact that this articale has been up here for ever makes me mad

You're absolutely correct Johnny! Please...give us something new!

This interview with Angie Bowie was interesting, but i take exception to her assertion that "Monogamy is a much more satisfactory and ethical way of dealing with relationships. Living one’s life as a Soap Opera is tiresome at best and fatal when bottom-lined!"

Given that this might be an edited version of her remarks, Jon, do you believe she is saying that monogamy is "more satisfactory and ethical" than.... polyamory? Open relationships? More satisfactory for whom? She can speak for herself, frankly. Polyamorous relationships can be just as ethical as monogamy. Or is she comparing monogamy to cheating, with her reference to life as a soap opera?

hadra

how about changing this article? I'm tired of looking at that ugly picture for the last 3 months

Quote Originally Posted by 2Hoteez4U View Post
    how about changing this article? I'm tired of looking at that ugly picture for the last 3 months
    2hoteez4u - I can just imagine the kind of peron you are , you've already proven who the ugly one is. Cheap shots like this are very unbecoming.
    You might forget a persons name , you might even forget what they said , but you'll never forget how they made you feel.

I truly wish people would realize that this is a FREE site...you are getting a great deal for absolutely NOTHING....cheap shots and insults are hardly necessary. If you are tired of the article and the picture...don't look at it!

Kate

Quote Originally Posted by Oralguy View Post
    I wish CSR would go someplace else.. she tends to think she owns this site and the chat room.. and it's people like here who dominate and think they
    should decide who is bisexual and who isn't...

Maybe she would be better off tending to her husband instead of being on
    the computer on this site all the time... I wonder if she has a 'government'
    job or something..

good day!
    Oral, people in glass houses should not cast stones. I have seen both Kate and you on this site since you both joined. And from the positive things that she has contributed to so many here over the years and the negative input you always seem to bring to the chat room, maybe your the one who would be happier not coming here. A dominate person is one who belittles others that do not conform to your ideas and constantly attacks people like Kate. Kate has NEVER forced her ideas on anyone, but she is more like a magnet. People come to her not because she demands or dominates, but because she reaches out to others value her opinions. She says nothing about who is or is not bisexual, quite frankly I detest the bisexual label. We are all sexual people from all parts of the world who come here to hopefully gain a positive experience. Like she said, Drew has given us this wonderful site FREE of charge and I for one am grateful. There are things here I care not to see. But rather than flame those who work so hard to keep this site here, I just ignore assholes who come here and promote hatred. Now that you have opened ANOTHER asshole can of worms, I await you and others like you to attack me now. Aqain Drew, thank you and Jon and all those on your staff for giving us a place to come to express our wants, needs, joy and tears.

CMM (chatter since 2003)

I wish CSR would go someplace else.. she tends to think she owns this site and the chat room.. and it's people like here who dominate and think they

job or something..

good day!
    Talk about cheap shots and insults. Right on the money, aren't you?

Yet she is the one who was insulting someone...
    Where is this insult? I can't see it.
    Last edited by BiphobiaFighter; Feb 3, 2008 at 9:13 PM.

can you see what I mean about the men 'protecting' a woman when she is trying to rule the site.. see what I mean?
    No, I don't see what you mean. All I see is that Kate says that insults and cheapshots are unnecessary, and you go right ahead with insults and cheapshots.

Want proof? Here's proof.

Kate says:

I truly wish people would realize that this is a FREE site...you are getting a great deal for absolutely NOTHING....cheap shots and insults are hardly necessary. If you are tired of the article and the picture...don't look at it!
    That's ALL she says.

You say:

I can't really decide if this is an insult or a cheapshot, it kinda qualifies as both.

And then you say:

job or something..
    That's quite a cheapshot, and also an insult. Actually, 2 in one. Now, what kind of FUCKED UP understanding do you have if you can't see that for yourself?

This is what happens in chat too.
    It does? All I see there is some guy talking about tasting cum with a couple and yada yada, named Oralguy or Orallybi4cpl, who is apparently the same person AND completely fucked in the head.

Just so a guy can get on the GOOD side of her...
    Too bad you will never get on the good side of anyone. The only side you're getting on right now is the bottom side of my foot.

Yet she is the one who was insulting someone...
    Proof. I dare you. You already have 3 insults to make up for, idiot.

oh well..
    Yeah "oh well".

This is American and this is the treatment that bisexual men get. It's a wide spread problem... now if you're a bisexual woman .. well then... that's another story.
    It is? I don't get treated "that way" (whatever the hell that may mean). The only one who is treated "that way" is YOU. Now, did you EVER consider to think that YOU might be the problem here?

*edit*

To top it off, Oralguy just came into the chat and says this:

Oralguy: what do you expect from a communist hiding out in belguim

Yeah Oralguy, really, I have no idea why you can't get on somebody's good side. Really.
    Last edited by blackout; Feb 4, 2008 at 1:35 AM. Reason: addition

Azrael

Quote Originally Posted by curious married m View Post
    Oral, people in glass houses should not cast stones. I have seen both Kate and you on this site since you both joined. And from the positive things that she has contributed to so many here over the years and the negative input you always seem to bring to the chat room, maybe your the one who would be happier not coming here. A dominate person is one who belittles others that do not conform to your ideas and constantly attacks people like Kate. Kate has NEVER forced her ideas on anyone, but she is more like a magnet. People come to her not because she demands or dominates, but because she reaches out to others value her opinions. She says nothing about who is or is not bisexual, quite frankly I detest the bisexual label. We are all sexual people from all parts of the world who come here to hopefully gain a positive experience. Like she said, Drew has given us this wonderful site FREE of charge and I for one am grateful. There are things here I care not to see. But rather than flame those who work so hard to keep this site here, I just ignore assholes who come here and promote hatred. Now that you have opened ANOTHER asshole can of worms, I await you and others like you to attack me now. Aqain Drew, thank you and Jon and all those on your staff for giving us a place to come to express our wants, needs, joy and tears.

CMM (chatter since 2003)
    Agreed. Oralguy can perch and spin for all I care. Kate's a sweetheart and I shant stand for his tomfoolery any longer.

you set the example I was referring to.. ya want to be on the good side of CSR huh.. ok.. be that way.
    No, I do not want to be on Kate's good side, i just have a problem with assholes like you.

you proved the point I was making.. enjoy
    Is that right? How so? Please elaborate, instead of quoting a ton of text and not replying to it.