Register

The ?Double Closet?: Why Some Bisexual People Struggle With Mental Health

From The New York Times - https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/30/w...alth-lgbt.html

Good article.

Re: The ?Double Closet?: Why Some Bisexual People Struggle With Mental Health

The idea that others would would believe I can't be turned on by both is hard to digest. It seems so black and white in a gray world.

If a person owned a black car it doesn't mean he/she could never want a white one, or (gasp) a red one. It is possible, and I as a Bi person that has owned and liked many different color cars can understand and easily tolerate it in someone.

My Bi declaration is simply an observation of what I've enjoyed doing.

I understand it's more complicated that, but I hope she can find some less uptight friends. Her present acquaintances may be somewhat controlling and/or have issues that they haven't dealt with.

It's frustrating when people try to fit you into rigid boxes. Being bisexual is all about embracing the spectrum of attraction. Your car analogy is spot on - it's about personal preference, not limitation.
    It's essential for your friend to find a more accepting circle. Life's too short to be around uptight folks. Sometimes, people's issues can spill over onto others.
    And if anyone here needs someone to talk to about these struggles or anything else, don't forget there's a national mental health hotline. They're there to lend an ear and provide support when you need it most.

I know that some struggle with mental health issues because when you're bisexual, you're the weirdo: Neither straight nor gay. A lot of bisexuals hear all the bullshit that's been around since before I was born and they take it to heart while others wind up with issues because their socially conditioned mind is telling them that they can't like both while everything else about them is screaming for both and now it's a conflict that they can't resolve on their own. This can also include the crisis of faith conflict where one's religious beliefs clash against the reality of being bisexual and finding out that what others are going to say the most attention to is the homosexual side of things - and they will judge accordingly.

See, what some talking heads would have you believe is that if you're bisexual, you're going to have mental health issues and issues that are going to go unaddressed and untreated when the truth is that no one is immune to mental health issues and sexuality may or may not have something to do with this. I've watched bisexual men and women worry themselves into mental health issues worrying about what someone is going to say or do should their secret get out - and even when no one else knows that they have this secret. People would choose to struggle with whatever's bothering them than to seek professional help because that means outing themselves to said professional help - and the fear that doing this means the professional is going to tell everyone they come across about this new and confused bisexual they're seeing. But, again, people will do this even when it's not their sexuality that's at the root of their mental health issues.

And that's the part I've yet to see anyone bring into the light. Easier to let it be known that if you're bisexual, you're going to be a mental case and that's just not the truth of things - but we still prefer to believe perception over the actual truth. If you're struggling with mental health issues of any kind, seek professional help and the sooner, the better!

its a a struggle more than people know but mostly bi people struggle because they dont accept it

Quote Originally Posted by cornholejoe View Post
    its a a struggle more than people know but mostly bi people struggle because they dont accept it
    Or they struggle due to not being able to indulge their sexuality adequately and not being able to be more open about who they are.
    All this makes life difficult .
    It isn't true that any of this is easily done.