Register

Question It's a New Year -- maybe time to ask this question...

Hope everyone is well and ready for new, exciting things this year!

Can't help but wonder: Is it possible that our old buddy pole_smoker has been tossed or has voluntarily taken his leave? Seems he's logged no activity here since early August.

Inquiring minds, ya know...

Re: It's a New Year -- maybe time to ask this question...

Shhhh, Let sleeping dogs lie.

Don't say his name three times.

i got that asshole blocked for over a year

maybe he just left for good

Coastocoast

"He-Who......."

Blocked him a LONG time ago.

Also blocked him a long time ago.

Yes, I too, blocked "He who shall not be spoken of" a long time ago.

The sad thing is, once there was a controversial thread on the forum, and " He" agreed with the response that had I posted. . . Yeeckkk. I wanted to chop my fingers off.
    Last edited by csreef; Jan 3, 2019 at 9:12 PM.

I suspect he checks what is happening on this site occasionally. But has lost interest in running the show here.
    Last edited by jem_is_bi; Jan 3, 2019 at 10:09 PM. Reason: add an 's' on check
    JEM

Quote Originally Posted by jem_is_bi View Post
    I suspect he checks what is happening on this site occasionally. But has lost interest in running the show here.
    I dunno. There are a couple of threads that would have been lightning rods to him, particularly the one where a picture of an uncut penis was shown, along with a question about whether or not you might find it appealing.

He was always spitting fire about circumcision being 'mutilation'. If that didn't get his attention, I don't know what will...

If you look at his profile you will see a sentence under his name that those who were on the site, may recognize. It is something that Drew (the founder owner) made up like a time out when he was still working out if he wanted to block posters. I do not remember how to do a search for pole-smoker. I noticed awhile back that this "block" had been used. Who ever is in charge now may have done that?
    Last edited by tenni; Jan 4, 2019 at 12:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by csreef View Post
    Yes, I too, blocked "He who shall not be spoken of" a long time ago.

The sad thing is, once there was a controversial thread on the forum, and " He" agreed with the response that had I posted. . . Yeeckkk. I wanted to chop my fingers off.
    I never did block him. (or anybody else) He claimed to have blocked me at one point, after I made a critical remark directed at him. I got where I'd ignore his incessant, senseless polls, but would either read or skip past his responses in most threads, depending upon the subject.

There were a couple of occasions after this site came back online after being unavailable for quite some time, that he made comments that were somewhat responsive to a thread, weren't insultingly-judgmental or accusatory, and actually seemed somewhat reasonable to me.

In the end, nobody is either always wrong, or always right. And some people don't deserve the respect they're afforded. IMO, he was close to that point...

The sentence that shows pole-smoker blocked is/was "cooling off". As I wrote above it was the first type of block by Drew came up with and Drew later used other words. Cooling Off phrase seems to have been re used and posted in the last year or so. Originally Drew meant it as a temporary block from posting.
    Last edited by tenni; Jan 4, 2019 at 3:30 PM.

"Cooling off" is in pole_smoker's profile currently. If you find a posting by him, "Cooling Off" is shown.

I also noticed the 'Cooling Off', but figured that it was a 'canned' designation, that the forum software inserts based upon the frequency of posting/activity, just like the other various labels that seem to be associated with the number of posts someone has made over time.

I think Tenni has provided a reasonable and likely explanation of its origin. Although these descriptions could easily be assigned by the forum software based upon the number of contributions to the discussion, they'd also be customizable by the admin. So somebody who came here 3 times/hour and has posted 59328 times, could easily be called either 'Member with too much time on his hands' or anything else the admin found humorous and appropriate.

I remember back a few years, when I first saw poley being listed as 'Unofficial Community Leader', I thought "You've gotta be kidding! They made this insulting judgmental jackass a community leader?" That's when I decided that it meant nothing, other than the fact that he came here and posted a lot...

I believe that silkyhoselover is correct when it comes to labelling of "community leader", or in my case "some kind of Super Member". That seems purely connected to how many posts that you have made and was part of the software.

However, I was on the site when Drew started deciding about kicking people off the site. (member actually since 2006 with another user name-forgot password) I believe that the site started in 2005. Drew did not want to kick anyone off the site. He said and believed that the members would self correct other members. Long before Pole showed here, Drew tried to face the troll concept. Drew actually posted and interacted with members both in the forum and on PM. Discussion between members on a forum post happened about the troll concept and who might be a troll set out to destroy or "play" with the site. The chat area existed and strong friendships developed beyond posting about bisexuality. Remember bisexuality is not a completely accepted concept even less accepted than gay.

I believe that someone has placed the cooling off label and blocked Pole finally. I wonder but see little proof that a new owner is keeping things running smoothly but the site is running sans trolls and smoothly. Someone (administrator owner) posted that improvements were being made to the software recently.

As far as trolls are concerned lets be thankful that they/he/she is not active and out to destroy the site.
    Last edited by tenni; Jan 5, 2019 at 1:39 PM.

In essence"Cooling off" has been used to ban members (look for Drugstore Cowboy as an example). "Banned" has also been used (SJMurph is one screen name I came across with that designation).