Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Do you think Homosexuality is genetic?

In a conversation with some friends (none know of my sexuality), one of them stated he thought homosexuality was genetic. That got me thinking about my family, and I know of 3 others (all BI) in my family. My family is very open about sex, but very straight acting, typical rural area family. No one in my family is an open gay. Over the years I have had a few lovers who also had gays or BIs in there family. Is there anything to this or is it just normal. How many others on here have gay or BI family members? What is your opinion?

Re: Do you think Homosexuality is genetic?

i think it's partly genetic, how much i don't really know. but more likely there are probably much more gay/les/bi than we're aware of there just not letting anyone know. alot are probably not aware themselves.

Ah, the perineal question of nature vs nurture. My life experiences indicates it's nature for some, nurture for others and Both for others still. The insight would come with empirical data...
    East Bay Gary

I do not think you can learn to be homosexual.

Why are you even posting this thread on a site dedicated to Bisexuality ?

This is a deep subject matter and does not pertain to the subject at hand....bisexuality. The argument will go on and on about homosexuality being a nurture or nature thing. Bisexuality is definitely a learned behavior which in my case, can lead to homosexuality by preference. My $0.02.

It is pertinent in that bisexuals have sexual attraction attraction to a greater or lesser degree for their own gender.. call it what u will, but when two peeps of the same gender get together and have some rumpy pumpy with each other that, my dear, is homosexual activity however much u may wish it to be otherwise. One or both may also be attracted to and have sex their own gender but the fact that they play or attracted to their own gender is homosexual activity or attraction not bisexual even although it may stem from their inherent bisexuality.

I, unlike some gay people do not deny that bisexuality exists, but just as a bisexual person has sex with a person of the opposite gender is heterosexual activity, a person having sex with her or his own is homosexual activity. Neitrher activity means a bisexual person is anything other than bisexual.

The question really should be is bisexuality in a persons down to a bisexuality gene or genes or is their sexuality down to having both a str8 and gay gene or genes. Or, is it something else?
    Do not think so little of me as to grant me your tolerance. Allow me your acceptance and understanding of who and what I am with the love, respect and dignity with which I do you.

darkeyes very good answers......& questions!

Quote Originally Posted by darkeyes View Post
    It is pertinent in that bisexuals have sexual attraction attraction to a greater or lesser degree for their own gender.. call it what u will, but when two peeps of the same gender get together and have some rumpy pumpy with each other that, my dear, is homosexual activity however much u may wish it to be otherwise. One or both may also be attracted to and have sex their own gender but the fact that they play or attracted to their own gender is homosexual activity or attraction not bisexual even although it may stem from their inherent bisexuality.

I, unlike some gay people do not deny that bisexuality exists, but just as a bisexual person has sex with a person of the opposite gender is heterosexual activity, a person having sex with her or his own is homosexual activity. Neitrher activity means a bisexual person is anything other than bisexual.

The question really should be is bisexuality in a persons down to a bisexuality gene or genes or is their sexuality down to having both a str8 and gay gene or genes. Or, is it something else?
    Hello lovely darkeyes! The way that I look at sexuality is that it is more about attraction than sexual activity as far as bisexuals are concerned. We are not monosexuals like heterosexuals and homosexuals. Sex is sex regardless of the gender for bisexuals. (although a lot of us bring in other words) Add to the attraction for some biguys as only cockcentric with no emotional component and it grows more confusiing to rationally dismiss sexuality as gene based?

Is there a genetic aspect to it? That at the moment that is unknown. There are reports of homosexuality running in families which might suggest homosexuality may have a genetic component. Would a bisexual have a different genetic make up from monosexuals ? Maybe....but it seems that the possibility of attraction to both genders has not started. I've read some comments from gay people who object and fear studies to examine same gender attraction out of concern of genetic manipulation to cure sexualities outside of heterosexuality.

Instead of having hetero and homosexual attraction genes I would wager that if there is a genetic component why not a bisexual gene?

How that factors in with some men switching gender attraction mid life may be easier to explain by looking at sexual repression but then some male bisexuals claim no attraction to other men at all..until after 40.
    Last edited by tenni; Apr 26, 2017 at 10:28 PM.

Aaaahh.. tenni, me luffly. I have not dismissed a bisexuality gene and asked the question.. no1 knows wot part genes play in our sexuality. I doubt there is a gene or genes wich make us gay or bi or str8 or owt else, but there may be a gene or genes wich make us more likely 2 b woteva we r. Wot part nurture plays is arguable.. in me own case I was allowed 2 b wot I think my nature was telling me. Is that genetic or something else? Several family members are gay or bi and the incidences seem to lead down me mum's side of the family, and are exclusively female as far as I am aware. I am not sure wot that tells us tbh. Interesting questions arise but I just don't beat mesel up about it tho I am am insatiably curious just as I am about many questions in the natural world.
    Do not think so little of me as to grant me your tolerance. Allow me your acceptance and understanding of who and what I am with the love, respect and dignity with which I do you.

I think darkeyes has something on the Genetics angle...I've said this in the past, my oldest brother was Bisexual, and I had a great Aunt who was Bi , but mainly a Lesbian....

Quote Originally Posted by darkeyes View Post
    Aaaahh.. tenni, me luffly. I have not dismissed a bisexuality gene and asked the question.. no1 knows wot part genes play in our sexuality. I doubt there is a gene or genes wich make us gay or bi or str8 or owt else, but there may be a gene or genes wich make us more likely 2 b woteva we r. Wot part nurture plays is arguable.. in me own case I was allowed 2 b wot I think my nature was telling me. Is that genetic or something else? Several family members are gay or bi and the incidences seem to lead down me mum's side of the family, and are exclusively female as far as I am aware. I am not sure wot that tells us tbh. Interesting questions arise but I just don't beat mesel up about it tho I am am insatiably curious just as I am about many questions in the natural world.

This thread peaked my interest and as an engineer I don't know much about genetics.
    But it got me thinking about how nice it would be to start fresh. Erase all previous notions about sexual orientation and start where sex was something people shared without being labeled. If you have a good friend and share common interest why should sex be limited to people of the opposite gender.
    How many of us have had a nice occasion with someone of the same sex and at the end of the day making love to each other, if considered was never explored.
    If you don't want to take part in an activity there should be no pressure to do so. But if you do you should not be judged.
    I don't golf or eat cauliflower or judge those who do.

cauliflower yuck how can people eat that? lol but seriously i really wish more people had that attitude. i like u, u like me. let's fool around. shouldn't be a big deal. maybe a big something else lmao!

I like cauliflower! We make roasted cauliflower steaks, topped with buttery rye croutons, and I eat the florets raw, dipped in plain Greek yogurt & Frank's Red Hot sauce. Good stuff!

I learned a long time ago that it's fun putting things into your mouth that you never imagined you'd like...

Quote Originally Posted by silkyhoselover View Post
    I like cauliflower! We make roasted cauliflower steaks, topped with buttery rye croutons, and I eat the florets raw, dipped in plain Greek yogurt & Frank's Red Hot sauce. Good stuff!

I learned a long time ago that it's fun putting things into your mouth that you never imagined you'd like...
    i gotta keep that in mind!

I think all sexual orientations are natural and a gift from God.

I think I was born bisexual. I love to eat pussy and suck cocks. I’m very oral and while intercourse feels great, I’d rather have oral sex, giving and receiving. I clearly remember being attracted to older men’s cocks in the public showers. I’d dream about sucking them and I’d jackoff and fantasize about sucking. My first time was around 8 or 9 and I instigated the connection.

I tend to think that most people are born capable of bisexual activity. This is proven by the amount of same-sex activity in prisons and other places where opposite-sex is not available. However, there are probably a number of people who, for various reasons, are incapable of having any form of sex with persons of a different gender. I guess I would refer to those folks as homosexual. There's also people who are incapable of any sexual activity at all and they would be referred to as asexual. In short, I think bisexuality is natural for the vast majority of the population and we are lucky to be able to realize that fact and enjoy it.

I had a cousin that showed his homosexuality when he was a small child. He was born that way. I don't know his dad's family history, but have done a lot of research of his mother's. I didn't see any obvious clues to gays in the tree. The odd ancestors that disappear from early records may suggest it. I had never considered that until a moment ago.

As for myself, I don't know. I was a thumb sucker, broken of the habit and started again about 8 years old for a short while. Maybe an oral fixation for sucking cocks.

I dated a woman with a PHD in psychiatric nursing year ago, she told me we are all born bisexual. I have no reason to doubt her.

I have a reasonable understanding of genetics and its very unlikely that homosexuality and bisexual is genetic or hereditary but more likely to be personality based and influenced.

Now I do not mean that we are born bi, gay, lesbian or straight in terms of sexual attraction but it can be as a dispensation to attraction to people based on gender in terms of friendship and ease of interaction: IE I may be sexually attracted to males and females but more comfortable around women as friends than males.

Things that happen during life such as change in life style, personality, even head injury and stroke can have a influence on our sexuality, where as genes are less likely to do that but tend to play more of a role in things like cancer... also nature vs nuture is a ongoing argument but is more individual than mass.....
    The only thing more painful than a broken heart, is catching yourself in your zip and having very cold hands

My therapist tells me that sexual preference comes from a combination of vulnerability and environment. Vulnerability, which may be at least in part genetic, influences how we respond to the environment. After years of therapy, I've learned that my sexual preference - bi strong preference for men - comes, in large part, from my vulnerability to an uncle having sex with me from the time I was 4 or 5 until I was 13. I've also learned to walk away from the shame of being a victim of child abuse and to be happy with who I am sexually.

I believe my father was bi - just going by some things he had in his house after he died. In his old photos from WW2, there were a few of guys in camp with big cocks hanging out. Myself, (and no one believes me when I tell them this), I had sexual attraction to men when I was 4. My family used to go to a public swimming pool. I'd lie on my stomach and watch the other guys (always was attracted to older men), and rub my little boner on the towel. This was long before I ever knew what sex was, of course. Sorry to veer from the discussion of genetics, but I could have inherited my tastes from dad.

Quote Originally Posted by delpark View Post
    I dated a woman with a PHD in psychiatric nursing year ago, she told me we are all born bisexual. I have no reason to doubt her.
    Considering that most men far prefer the company of other men to women in other parts of their life - just in the realm of shared interests. The bar I play pool at is almost 100% men, apart from the bartender for instance. It doesn't seem like a huge leap into sex, if it wasn't for the stigma involved. I think there is a possibility of meeting someone in that bar if I could just figure out how to do it.

maybe men tend to prefer the company of other men because of at least assumed heterosexuality so the sexual pressure is off. maybe some of what is homophobic out there is afraid opening the options sexually would throw that balance off eliminating the "safety" of being with people there isn't gonna be anything "funny" with. just a thought i don't necessarily agree with this.
    Quote Originally Posted by WMassM4M View Post
    Considering that most men far prefer the company of other men to women in other parts of their life - just in the realm of shared interests. The bar I play pool at is almost 100% men, apart from the bartender for instance. It doesn't seem like a huge leap into sex, if it wasn't for the stigma involved. I think there is a possibility of meeting someone in that bar if I could just figure out how to do it.

I don't think a "what causes homosexuality" question makes sense without a "what causes heterosexuality" question to go with it. After all the peak of the bell curve on a Kinsey distribution line is somewhere around 2, not 0...

Quote Originally Posted by softfruit View Post
    "what causes heterosexuality"
    That's an easy one. The need of all living things to reproduce, and apart from artificial means, can only happen with a heterosexual act. . All sex derives from the breeding instinct. The biological purpose for cum is not as a beverage.

yeah I tend to agree......heterosexuality has been the default for reproduction for the longest time.... but as the default sexuality? I am not really sure... we do know of a lot of people that are not strictly heterosexual but call themselves heterosexual... and then there are the ones that are curious but never experimented.....

I do have a opinion that it has been the last 10 centuries with the raise and dominance of religion regarding women and their place in society, that has changed the world as we know it and installed monogamy and heterosexuality as default..... but with a disclaimer that personal interaction and preference also play a part as well
    maybe in 50 years, society will have evolved again and it will be different to the society of 50 years ago....

I am not going to suggest that in 50 years we will change to a natural poly default with bisexuality becoming more main stream.....but with the advances in IVF and in NZ, LGBT couples choosing to have IVF in order to have kids, it gives more freedom to LGBT couples....
    Also I base that opinion on the dropping of marriage rates in NZ for a number of reasons, including legal law and divorce issues.....and also the fact that many people are questioning if marriage is actually a show of love and interest in unity for themselves or a way of a partner * owning * another person.....

Another factor I am taking into consideration and this is a bone of contention, is the non binary people... I read there was now as much as 72 gender definitions... and heterosexuality is defined as male and female.... BUT the argument that personal self identity does not override human biology and that debate is quaranteed to start a furious debate with the trans community as part of their stance does include the idea that personal self ID overrides human biology
    The only thing more painful than a broken heart, is catching yourself in your zip and having very cold hands

Quote Originally Posted by Long Duck Dong View Post
    Also I base that opinion on the dropping of marriage rates in NZ for a number of reasons, including legal law and divorce issues.....and also the fact that many people are questioning if marriage is actually a show of love and interest in unity for themselves or a way of a partner * owning * another person.....
    Or perhaps more people are thinking (as I do) that government and church should not be in the business of licensing human relationships. How absurd that one would have to purchase a permit to co-habitate. I know quite a few same sex couples who have gotten married and the reason I often hear is for the legal benefits of marriage. It's absolutely absurd that people are given financial incentives to pair up with a license. It defies logic and probably wouldn't stand up to a constitutional challenge. People who pair up and produce children get enormous benefits (beyond those of shared living costs) while the taxes they pay don't even begin to cover the cost of educating those children. It is those of us who stay single and do not produce children who cover the deficit. I put same sex marriage in the same category as tradition marriage - absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by Long Duck Dong View Post
    we do know of a lot of people that are not strictly heterosexual but call themselves heterosexual... and then there are the ones that are curious but never experimented.....
    I think the biggest trend in the future will be people who have always been gay, but lived heterosexual lives (on the surface) to fit society's norms, realizing that they don't have to do it. I can't even count the number of cases I know personally of men who were once married with children who are now exclusively same sex partnered. Hell, when I was young and studly, I worked in straight singles bars and slept with endless women who would make you drool. Once I realized the only purpose for my conquests was to hide my real feelings, I couldn't get a boner for the sexiest woman in the world. Cock is where it's at. Too bad so many men don't realize that until they are well past (how can I put it delicately)....their prime? A guy I played with for years was adamant that he was 99% straight, but spent an extraordinary amount of time looking for sex with men and NEVER went looking for females or even M/F couples though he hadn't had sex with his wife for years.
    Last edited by WMassM4M; Nov 28, 2018 at 6:49 AM.

Do you think Homosexuality is genetic

Dont think the acquisitions will even be stand out assets in the Championship. Murphy probably, but others, Reid, Cunningham, Smithies et al???

Re: Do you think Homosexuality is genetic

I believe that I was genetically destined to be homosexual. I have always desired to be a cocksucker. But, I was raised to be heterosexual and developed a limited desire for sex with women. So, now I am bisexual even though I would prefer to be totally homosexual. A few women, still excite my sexual desires and probably always will.
    JEM