Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

List nearest city as well as state

I live in Florida which is a large area. It is very helpful to know the approximate city (or area) the person lives in in order to respond.

Re: List nearest city as well as state

I see what you mean. 11 pages of Personal Ads for Florida! I definitely need to break out Florida into smaller areas.

Any suggestions as to a smart breakdown?
    Miami and Area
    Tampa and Area
    Rest of Florida?

- Drew

Re: List nearest city as well as state - Florida

On the old site the members usually gave there location by city or town or general area, I think this system worked, it let you know how far someone was from you and if it was possible to easily meet.

Quote Originally Posted by ricmun View Post
    On the old site the members usually gave there location by city or town or general area, I think this system worked, it let you know how far someone was from you and if it was possible to easily meet.
    I am pretty sure we have the same areas setup as the old site ricmun. You might be thinking of another site? I think the solution for Florida (let's hear it for so many members from Florida!!) is break down the single state-wide area into smaller areas - 11 pages of ads is too many to wade through, and too far to travel.

But I need help Floridians, what would be a logical breakdown into smaller areas for Florida?

- Drew

At over 1 million square kilometers (+400,000 square miles) Ontario is more six times the size of Florida, albeit with abnout 70% of its population. We have 12 pages of ads!

If i were to break it down (and correct me if I'm wrong fellow Ontarians) I'd say

Northern Ontario (including Thunder Bay and Sudbury)
    Central Ontario (including Barrie and Peterborough)
    Eastern Ontario (including Ottawa and Kingston)
    GTA (Greater Toronto Area - including Mississauga and Oshawa)
    Southwestern Ontario (inlcuding Windsor and London)
    Golden Horseshoe (including Kitchener, Hamilton, Niagara Falls)

You know what? I actually had a breakdown of Ontario and the UK and some other areas scoped out for this new system, but it got lost in the shuffle. We do however have the system in place to make these changes. So I will be breaking out Ontario, and re-organizing the UK (based on feedback from UK members on the old site - remember that thread?) in the next couple of days.

And let me know about Florida you sun-lovers!

- Drew

Below is what I have in my notes. Feedback requested. Let me know if you suggest better break outs:

UK
    Current:
    UK- Southern GB
    Ireland
    Northern Ireland
    UK-Wales
    UK – Scotland and Northern GB
    UK – London Area

Proposed:
    Scotland
    Wales
    Ireland
    North West England
    North East England
    Midlands
    East Anglia
    London
    South East England
    South West England

ONTARIO
    Current:
    Ontario

Proposed:
    Ontario – Greater Toronto Area
    Ontario – Ottawa
    Ontario - South West
    Ontario – East
    Ontario – Rest of Ontario
    (Herculoid Poirot's may be better)

WASHINGTON
    Current:
    Washington

Proposed:
    Washington – Seattle and Area
    Washington – Rest of state

OREGON
    Current:
    Oregon

Proposed:
    Oregon – Portland and Area
    Oregon – Rest of state

GEORGIA
    Current:
    Georgia

Proposed:
    Georgia – Atlanta Area
    Georgia – Rest of state

ALBERTA
    Current:
    Alberta

Proposed:
    Alberta – Calgary
    Alberta – Edmonton
    Alberta - Rural

BRITISH COLUMBIA
    Current:
    BC

Proposed:
    BC – Vancouver
    BC – Victoria and Island
    BC – Rest of BC

And now we are proposing FLORIDA be broken out.

Let me know what you think of these, and any other areas.

Keep in mind we don't want to break things out too much - a list of 4 ads in each small area is kindof useless. I think we want at least 10 or 20 ads in each area, and if it is less than that then maybe we have broken it out too far.

- Drew

I have take the liberty of renaming this thread since the topic has expanded somewhat.

- Drew

I sure would love to know how far the person I am talking to is far from me, Cause everybody (I sure wont) would be interested to know how far he is going to travel for a date. I sure would not drive 50 miles to get laid.

Used to live in FL... Try the Panhandle, North Florida (Jacksonville, St. Augustine), Central Florida (Daytona, Orlando), West coast (Tampa, Largo) and South Florida. Just a few suggestions.
    Te occidere possunt sed es edere non possunt nefas est.

Translation: They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are rather dicier.

Quote Originally Posted by ko50001 View Post
    I sure would love to know how far the person I am talking to is far from me, Cause everybody (I sure wont) would be interested to know how far he is going to travel for a date. I sure would not drive 50 miles to get laid.
    I hear ya. All (most) of the members being bisexual presents a unique problem... many of our members are paranoid about privacy. I know, because I get their panicked emails sometimes. So we can't go with anything like people setting a location on a googlemap or entering their zip/postal code - I am pretty sure that just won't work on a bi site.

So that is how we have the location system we have, as imperfect as it is.

- Drew

Tallahassee, Florida

Then there are peeps like me who live on the border of 2 states, (IN & MI) which is called Michiana which is the South Bend and surrounding areas....

Drew-

For California, the "Other Areas" designation can mean 800 miles from one town to another. I'm sure those of us in California would like to have "Other Areas" broken down into "Northern", "Central" and "Southern".
    Last edited by LeeNorCal; Apr 2, 2013 at 8:44 AM.
    Religion and Politics are like penises. It's okay to have and be proud of them, but it's not okay to whip them out in public and try to shove them down other people's throats!

Tampa/Brandon and can host love extra males for both of us. Sherry & Eddie

Midwest City, just east of Oklahoma City on I-40.

I agree about California, can we possibly break it down to at least 4 or 5 different areas?

what about breaking up into counties or Zip codes for the US...???? or is that too close ?????

The programmer is working on a system where a person with a personal ad will indicate where they are located (approximately - as detailed and accurately as they choose for their level of comfort - using either their postal code or placing a marker on a map, their choice). Then a searcher will search around a particular point of their choosing (their home, a hotel, whatever) and ads will be displayed by order of distance away.

We have hesitated to go this route in the past because of concerns people have about revealing their location, but over time it has become apparent to me that distance/location is very important to people searching the ads. Those who are sensitive to revealing their location can always enter a nearby postal code or select the next town over or whatever to protect their privacy. And a user's location will never be displayed on a map (except to the user themselves), just distance in miles or kilometres from the searcher.

THIS DOES NOT AFFECT USERS WHO DO NOT HAVE A PERSONAL AD - in that case we will continue to just ask users to indicate their broad geographical area (such as state) to promote and facilitate member interaction.

I previewed the new system last night and it is looking quite good. I hope to roll it out in a few weeks.

- Drew
    Last edited by Drew; Apr 4, 2013 at 8:28 PM.

Drew you have got to be the hardest working web master around...always making improvements and refereeing all the threads that go awry...where do you find the time and energy, LOL. THANK YOU very much for all your efforts for making this the best damn community site of any sort on the web...keep up the good work....a grateful fan of the site

Very kind words DrBi. Thanks so much. I am thrilled you like the site.

- Drew

Drew-....if it's not too late, could you break down Minnesota into two areas: 1. Within 10 minute drive to Timid's house. 2. Beyond 10 minute drive to Timid's house. Thank you.

We live In Tampa bay/Brandon we are both bi and always love an extra male/men to do the wife and I. clean up is on me LOL.. Hope to here from some friends in the area. Sherry & Eddie

Lakeview ohio,Indian lake............close to belfontaine ohio

Berkeley, and I can see San Francisco from here!

I like to maintain a reasonable amount of anonymity, we never know who's reading this stuff. For obvious reasons I don't want my family (other than my wife), business, civic and most social contacts to be aware of my personal activities. A zip code could pin point things a little too closely for my comfort but a general location gives folks an idea if you're close enough to be convenient. In my case "SE WI, and/or Kenosha area" is plenty. Even those in a very rural area can use the direction and distance to a city. For example "30 miles ESE from Rapid City SD".
    "

Dearborn , Michigan . Just outside Detroit

I live in Orlando but have traveled the whole state & the population seems mostly in 7 pockets (Clusterfucks? LOL):

Panhandle - Talahassee
    Northeast - Jacksonville
    West Coast/Tampa-FtMyers
    Central FL - Gainesville / Orlando /
    East Coast - Daytona / Cocoa Beach / Vero Beach
    South FL- Boca Raton / Ft Lauderdale / Miami / Naples
    FL Keys

Drew,
    Many other sites allow for distance calculations off of user postal/zip codes. Perhaps engineering something along that would allow for better 'within xx miles' references?

Al

Quote Originally Posted by BloodSugarSexMagic View Post
    I live in Orlando but have traveled the whole state & the population seems mostly in 7 pockets (Clusterfucks? LOL):

Panhandle - Talahassee
    Northeast - Jacksonville
    West Coast/Tampa-FtMyers
    Central FL - Gainesville / Orlando /
    East Coast - Daytona / Cocoa Beach / Vero Beach
    South FL- Boca Raton / Ft Lauderdale / Miami / Naples
    FL Keys
    I agree with this. Daytona and Orlando could be listed as one