Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Bisexual Flag - Proudly Pulling My Panties up the Flagpole

By Heze Douglas

We often illustrate our identities with symbols, to locate ourselves, and to find our kindred. The bi-flag was born 7 years ago and has given us a new alternative to wrap about our bodies if we so choose. Given its young life and somewhat limited visibility, I don’t think I’ve actually laid my eyes on one “in the flesh.” To be fair though, I’m sure they have been toted through my hometown streets during Pride, at least. I dare say past my very nose, but I was probably too busy checking out all the cute ladies and gents to register this colourful swath. I can almost hear myself thinking “Hmm, that pink, purple and blue flag is a pretty version of the Pride flag…” and not taking the thought one step further. This made me wonder if others know about the bi-flag? Is it unknown, unrecognized, and unappreciated? Who does befriend this symbol and what does it mean to them?

Historically there have been many symbols adopted and used to identify different sects of queer culture. Some of these have been rejected as they have become dated or revealed as controversial. Certain picks are more visible than others, more desirable, more marketable. There are those of us who create our own symbols, not available for mass marketing, nor mass recognition, and those of us who reject all symbols of identification.

Throughout time queers have had symbols pinned to them against their will, and chosen to pin themselves with symbols. Peering back to the dark days prior to WW II, Hitler was rapidly gaining power, writing laws and creating his reign of terror. He made all forms of homosexuality illegal, including erotic dreams. During the war he put his law into practice and homosexual men were marked with a pink triangle upon arrest. Women who were known as feminists, lesbians, or prostitutes were marked with a black triangle. These symbols have been reclaimed to draw attention to past and present persecution, and to defy historical denial.

The Lambda symbol was adopted in the early 70’s by New York’s Gay Activist Alliance. This lowercase Greek L is associated with liberation. To the Spartans it resembled unity. And the Romans adopted the letter to mean “the light of knowledge shed into the darkness of ignorance.” The chemists and physicists use the Lambda to connote charged energy, me-ooow! In the past sporting the Lambda allowed you to breeze by gay bashing frat boys who would easily mistake it for a college frat symbol while your fellow gays could identify you with it. This is one of the more controversial numbers.

A ladies pick has been the double-edged hatchet, known as the Labrys. It was used as a symbol of feminist and lesbian strength and self-sufficiency. Word has it most feminists eventually dropped the symbol leaving it for the lesbians. I can picture the labrys hugging the strong neck of my beloved past classmate, an old school lesbian.

The early 70’s also introduced the gender symbols for identity purposes, displaying either your sexuality or gender. The two interlocking male symbols for the gay boys, while the lesbians proudly started interlocking two female symbols. Trans people merged the cross and the arrow on the same ring. Another symbol used in the trans and intersex communities is the mercury symbol. This has a cross extending down to represent femininity and a crescent moon at the top to represent masculinity.

The symbol most recognized by us modern queers is the rainbow flag. San Franciscan artist, Gilbert Baker, designed this flag and took it to Pride in 1978. It started out as 8 colours representing the various components of our culture: hot pink=sex, red=life, orange=healing, yellow=sun, green=nature, turquiose=art, indigo=harmony, violet=spirit. In its 1979 mass production pink and turquoise were dropped as they weren’t commercially available colours, and royal blue replaced indigo. Drop pink and turquoise? Sex and art? Maybe that’s why the current rainbow flag doesn’t resonate with me. In any case this six colour version has become visible like hickies the morning after a high school dance and is known as the symbol of gay pride and diversity. Although I don’t drape myself with this symbol I must admit if I’m going to an establishment outside of the queerborhood I do feel more at ease if the door is marked with the rainbow sign. And I tend to peer more curiously into cars I pass on the highway sporting the rainbow stripe.

Then along came Michael Page. He feels that none of these symbols speak specifically to bisexuals. Upon talking to other bisexuals and searching his own experience he concluded that bi people need their own “flags and symbols to rally around.” In existence at this time were the bi-angles, the interlocking pink and blue triangles merging into purple. Page drew from these colours to design the bisexual flag. The top 40% of the flag is pink, the bottom 40% is blue, and the 20% midsection is purple. “The pink colour represents sexual attraction to the same sex (gay and lesbian), the blue represents sexual attraction to the opposite sex only (straight) and the resultant overlap purple represents sexual attraction to both sexes (bi). The pixels of colour blend unnoticeably into both the pink and blue, just as in the ‘real world’ where most bi people blend unnoticeably into both the gay/lesbian and straight communities.” This flag was unveiled on Dec.5, 1998.

“The intent and purpose of the flag is to maximize bisexual pride and visibility,” says Page. For journalistic purposes I called upon my sweet Saturday night date to drive us up and down the local queer neighborhood in search of such a flag. I felt like we were cruising the drag reminiscent of lost youth looking for action. None was to be found. Not a single bi-flag was flying in one of the world’s biggest queer villages. Not even a sticker pressed to a steamy window. I must note here that the lack of rainbow flags and signage surprised me too. Although they did exist there were less than I had imagined. Maybe it’s redundant in an already queer-identified neighborhood? I took my search a little further and checked some local queer run/friendly book and sex shops outside said neighbourhood. Nary a bi-flag anywhere. Ah, dear. I did however witness some bi-flag visibility when I searched Page’s Bi-Flag website. He has compiled pictures from international events that did have the bi-flag present. We see it flapping in the wind, and held in smiling hands at Pride celebrations in Florida, Rome, New York, and Reykavik Iceland. Not to mention various bisexual conferences, events, and activist happenings that have taken place since 1998. To learn more about Michael Page’s bi-flag endeavors go to: www.biflag.com

I decided to take a poll from a few bi-identified pals. “Are you familiar with the bi-flag?” A couple of respondents had never heard of it, while another was familiar with the bi triangles, and one had to check her fridge magnet to be sure.
    “Do you identify with the bi-flag more than other queer symbols?”
    -“My short answer is no, I don't identify with the bisexual pride flag. I don't like how gendered it is.”
    -“I don’t identify with any queer symbols.”
    -“I prefer the rainbow because it’s more representative of varied queer identities, not that I’m very drawn to the rainbow either.”
    - “No, but could if I knew more about them.”

The final question “Would you buy, make, or wear any bi-gear?” got one yes, one no, one “maybe just for Pride, but probably not” and “I would never because my sexuality should be more subtle than symbolism.” Finally my pal Dez states that he really wants bi-coloured parachute pants with “One leg for the ladies, and the other for the gents.” Obviously this is just one small pocket of people, and we all need to find our own identities, their markers, and expression of these. I do not harbour any ill feelings towards those who deck themselves out in colours or symbols of choice. Myself, I’d have to say the only flag I need to wave is my panties at the boy or girl who has caught my eye. Or if I’m in the mood a little hanky coding a la navy blue, red, or houndstooth can complete my outfit with a dash of confidence and a splash of solidarity to my community and myself. But hey, chacun son gout and cada su propio.

If you’re up for some bi-gear why not whip up a little something? If you aren’t the crafty type there are no shortage of shops on-line and otherwise waiting to take cash off your hands and proudly deck you out in pink, blue, and purple. When browsing for availability I came across flags, key chains, posters, necklaces, stickers, pins, magnets, bracelets, and bookmarks. My personal favorite was the pin “Bi – twice as likely to have a date this weekend.” Ah, if only that were true…
    www.biresource.org
    www.biprideshop.com
    www.bipridestore.com
    www.desertpride.com
    www.outsidethelines.biz

There you have it folks. Throughout history people have been eager to brand themselves and others through recognizable symbols. The bi-flag was born in wake of this movement and its lovely colours, and intentions are worming their way into many a bisexual heart. Others can leave them be. Will this flag become as recognized and appreciated as other queer signifiers have? Will it draw together in strength and celebration the solo shooters and gangs of bisexuals who are looking for each other? It just may. Is it for all of us? Does it need to be? Hey you already know what kind of flag I’m waving, and I’m happy with those panties of mine.

Cool

That was a great read.
    While I've never really clung to any symbol I do have pride in who and what I am and like displaying those things as flamboyantly as possible.
    And for the first time ever I now know why the bisexual flag is the way it is.

Thank you

Re: The Bisexual Flag - Proudly Pulling My Panties up the Flagpole

I too have always wondered who designed these flags and why as well as the meaning behind the colors. I am a little discreet about displaying the symbol but I do, and I do it proudly even if I do it quietly. That was especially interesting about the lambda symbol and what it meant to various societys.
    BiBoz49 Live in the moment

Great read but I never was a flag-waver myself. Sex is what I do....not who I am. While I totally support those who struggle against repression and oppression over sex, I don't necessarily derive my identity from it. To say that I should wear this, drive that, listen to their music and talk like him simply because I enjoy sex with both genders is ludicrous. In short, I think there's a lot more to me than where I put my dick. The term "bisexuality" is enigmatic in and of itself. We all differ in our leanings and preferences to the point that I really feel we should simply use the term "sexual" to describe ourselves.

I saw a rainbow choker on a clerk at 7-11, and another one on a clerk at safeway. It made me feel not so alone. Just imagine how we we all feel if we all wore them. If we were all born purple then everyone would know, and they'ld have to deal with it.

Noone knows what the bi colors mean except a small percentage of bisexuals. So I made me a rainbow bracelet with bi colored beads on it.

I will kiss the first person who knows what those beads mean!
    I don't know of any heterosexual who would keep it a secret
    that they are attracted to, and date, the opposite sex

So why should I
    keep my orientation

secret?

Great article.

I i now know what the colors of the flag stand for and I like it. I've never been a flag waver of any type execpt for the rid white and blue. I have seen the gay pride flag alot, but not the bi-pride flag. I would love to see people used it or wear it or do somehting with it.
    If you can't be with the one you love, love the one your with.

Hello...
    I haven't posted for quite a while, but I felt compelled to comment here.

I have three beads, one for each bi pride color, on my assemblage of keys; they are located on the secondary ring, which carries my car keys. Thus, while I keep it low-key, I do display the pride colors, albeit not terribly prominently. So far, there have been no responses or reprisals (or else no one has noticed; I usually don't have the keys out except when I actually use them.).

I also have the colors in beads on a key ring that is attached to one of the chains around my neck, under my shirt.

As I have said many times before (albeit not lately), I am not really very "out" as the saying goes -- yet I do feel a certain responsibility to make indentification slightly possible, just in case.

No wrapping myself in the bi flag for me, however.

Bum_Ditty

I find it hard to get behind the bi flag because, as the designer's said, the middle stripe symbolizes the way that bisexuals fade imperceptibly into the other two fields. So it's a symbol of visibility that represents ... invisibility?

I used to wear a triangular yin-yang earring, which was also the symbol of the now-defunct local bi group; had a Bisexual Pride T-shirt, too, so it's not like I'm shy.

Back when freedom rings were still big I used to wear a set, and it never failed to startle me when random people would recognize them and comment (always approvingly). There really are plenty of like-minded people in the world, however isolated you may feel, and for that reason I'd be happy to wear a bi pride symbol if I thought anyone would know what it meant. As it is, I'll probably wait until I actually see someone else wearing them.

i am realy new to this community - as in.. i have only just acepted that i am a bisexual. i figured that a rainbow symbol would be a great way to support my community as well as the lesbian/gay community. boy was i wrong!!! we have an annual sex show here in my city and so i wore a rainbow barrette to show my support. i recieved some rather nasty looks from both the strait and gay/lesbian community. although i am not activly looking for a partner for my husband and i.. i feel that the more support is the better. i was frankly disapointed that i was treated that way. on top of this.. at a sex show.. where you see all types of things.. from bondage to gay and lesbian to drag queen shows.. one would think that they would have some sort of symbol... or anything else that would show off the proud bisexual... but alas.. not at this show.. or anywhere else for that mater. i did some research and found out the bi symbols, and meanings , and colors.. and i wear them proudly!!! my friends know what it all means.. and i know eventually other bisexual symbols and colors will become recognised world wide.. one just has to be patient. untill that time.. i will continue to support the wide communities around me and anyone who askes what the colors .. or the symbols mean, will get an education leson from me

Bright

Quote Originally Posted by Drew
    By Heze Douglas

If you’re up for some bi-gear why not whip up a little something? If you aren’t the crafty type there are no shortage of shops on-line and otherwise waiting to take cash off your hands and proudly deck you out in pink, blue, and purple. When browsing for availability I came across flags, key chains, posters, necklaces, stickers, pins, magnets, bracelets, and bookmarks. My personal favorite was the pin “Bi – twice as likely to have a date this weekend.” Ah, if only that were true…
    www.biresource.org
    www.biprideshop.com
    www.bipridestore.com
    www.desertpride.com
    www.outsidethelines.biz

These places charge extortionate P&P for overseas customers. I posted last week asking if anyone knew of any UK outlets, but nobody seems to. So I thought I'd hassle one of the many UK places that stocks merchandise for gay men and women, and will share the correspondance with you.

Me:
    Thought I would let you know I like your site, and it has a great range of stuff on sale, apart from the fact that there is no bi pride merchandise at
    all. I know the rainbow theme is intended to cover all expressions of
    sexuality, but maybe you could investigate stocking some of the
    blue/purple/pink or MFF/MMF symbol accessories and bi-themed cards,
    stickers, etc. which seem to be common in the US but not so readily
    available in the UK.

Them:
    thank you for your comments. We have no immediate plans for extending the range of pride merchandising we carry but I will bear your comments in mind in the future.

Oh well, at least they replied.

Might have to go with a rainbow instead, but a little concerned about a reaction like another poster (sorry, I forget who) commented; it being seen as exclusively a gay symbol rather than all-encompassing.

Minty

Quote Originally Posted by MintyFresh
    Them:
    thank you for your comments. We have no immediate plans for extending the range of pride merchandising we carry but I will bear your comments in mind in the future.
    You might consider replying to thank them and ask them to let you know when they get some bi pride items in stock. Kind of a subtle way of reminding them that they're turning away business.

Hi Minty,

I'm not sure what your closet condition is like, but maybe you should consider being a distributer for bi items in the UK. It could be fun and profitable!

Just a thought.
    'The mind is open, the body is willing, and the heart is free to love all beings equally.'
    Bi-ten

I am very interested in this thread because I am in the process of deciding just how much I want to be out to people other than a select group of friends. I already have my Unitarian and Democratic bumper stickers but I just don't know if I have the courage to put a Bi-Pride bumper sticker on my car yet. I am positive my female friend would be supportive...yet it seems weak to be afraid. Of course, I am not out to most of my family and seeing anything that indicated that I was bi might start a huge scene. I am really trying to come out to more people but is it wrong to just never tell anyone in my family except my sister? Can't I just go to the Pride Parade and belong to the GLBT group at church? Do I have to wave a flag and bring down scorn from my family?

Quote Originally Posted by Iowabiguy
    I am very interested in this thread because I am in the process of deciding just how much I want to be out to people other than a select group of friends. I already have my Unitarian and Democratic bumper stickers but I just don't know if I have the courage to put a Bi-Pride bumper sticker on my car yet. I am positive my female friend would be supportive...yet it seems weak to be afraid. Of course, I am not out to most of my family and seeing anything that indicated that I was bi might start a huge scene. I am really trying to come out to more people but is it wrong to just never tell anyone in my family except my sister? Can't I just go to the Pride Parade and belong to the GLBT group at church? Do I have to wave a flag and bring down scorn from my family?
    Iowa brings up some very good points, most of which reflect my feelings on this subject.

I say to Iowa and everyone else, go with what you feel comfortable with.

At this point in my life--I am nowhere near the point of "being out" about this for I am still trying to sort it all out and make sense of this whole thing. I don't have any idea as to where I "fit" into the bisexual world or where bisexuality fits into my life. It is still a work very much in process.

At this point--the issue of how we as bisexuals identify ourselves to the rest of the world is something that I am not yet concerned. I am sure, that at some point in the future, I will arrive at that level.

Basically, whatever is developed to express bisexuality will be fine by me. Whether I ever make use of such identifiers--I have no idea.

The main point I want to make in this post is this: if you choose to openly and freely identify yourself as a bisexual, trisexual,nosexual, or whatever--then do it. If you don't care to--then don't.

Everyone finds his or her own way to live---it would be nice if the world would really allow everyone to live their lives as they see fit.
    "Injustice anywhere is injustice everywhere..." Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Hey this is whitney i am new to the site and am not quite sure how it works someone care to explane how do you communicate with others

I have some bi pride items. When I'm not at work I wear a beaded necklace and a beaded anklet with the bi pride colors. I also have some beads on my key chain too. And in my house some decorative candles in the same colors. I'm out to most of my friends, so they know what the colors mean. Other than them, I can't say I've seen the bi-flag or others wearing the colors. The jewelry has started a few conversations though as people liked the colors. It may never catch on to the extent that some would like, but I enjoy wearing it.

I must be the luckiest man in the world. Not only am I bisexual, I live in Hawaii.

wow that was a good read Ilearned something new

Ok so it's true I don't know everything! I now want to display a flag.....Maybe I could bead my own setup on my loom are somthing? HHHmm well thanks for the knowledge and I'll be looking at these threads from now on!

oh! oh! can i put my panties up the flagpole? pleeezepleezepleeze??? oh wait, i dont wear them.. hhhhmmmm maybe i should try it... any recommendations for a place that has panties that will fit a man with a 39 waist? i want something sexy, not those everyday granny grundies
    "To each monkey, it's own swing.." - old Latino Provberb

I used colored thread and put the bi colors on a money clip so that I could show my colors if and when I want to. I dont think anyone has picked up on it yet though

i love the bi pride symbolism and colors. i just recently got this tattoo representing female/female/male & the colors are 40% pink(the gays/lesbians), 20% purple(bisexual), and 40% blue(straight). when put together the two colors equal purple (bisexual) my favorite color. enjoy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tattoo.jpg   tattoobottom.jpg  

Got the flag on the back of my car, I have had a few people ask about it, one straight female at work who thought i was joking when I said it was for bi pride, and some gay men in my nudist group who didn't know there was a bi flag,,,, they know now!

Dai

Thumbs up Re: The Bisexual Flag - Proudly Pulling My Panties up the Flagpole

i never actually knew there was a bi pride flag out there , hell since i know theres a symbol out there that we can all call our own ima get it tatooed on my neck and let ppl know i have pride ,
    I CAN MAKE ALL UR FANTASIES COME TRUE BE IT PHYSICAL OR EMOTIONAL ILL BE THAT,SIGNED, ~CTHRU~

Hey there, good excerpt. Since I am a new member and I have just recently became more active in my bisexuality, it's great to know that we as bisexuals have our own represention of our orientation. And at Pride I will be rockin' yeaahhh boy!!!

Hi,

I have a website with Bi Pride logos on it.
    (self made stuff, nothing fancy).

The "ironic" thing is that I don't really believe in things like gay pride
    or bi pride.
    I mean, I'm definitely not ashamed of being bi, but proud?
    No, I just AM.

Why have you got a website with Bi Pride logos on it then, you might ask.
    Well, for those who are proud of being bi and want to let the world know
    about it.
    ...Oh, if this describes you, my site can be found at:

http://home.planet.nl/~chrysalis/bigraphics.html

On my Website, I've used the colors of the bi pride in my logos a lot.
    Mostly because I don't have high quality picture editing software
    and using these colors in a logo is a lot easier than creating
    overlapping triangles or overlapping mars and venus symbols from scratch.
    (I have been able to make a few items with these in them though.)
    Besides, I like the color combination of the flag.
    I don't like the symbolism behind the use of the colors.

Take care,
    Dani

I'm new to the site. Thank you for all the information, it was well written and very informative! I am bisexual and like the idea of having a symbol that shows what I am. Now I won't get flack from others for being so called confused.

Originally Posted by kandy71
    I'm new to the site. Thank you for all the information, it was well written and very informative! I am bisexual and like the idea of having a symbol that shows what I am. Now I won't get flack from others for being so called confused.
    Hi kandy71,

Oops, I'd almost missed your introduction.
    I'm sorry you're getting so much flack from people who think you're confused.

Welcome to the forum!

Take care,
    Dani

Thank you for the info! I'm new to the site and I really enjoyed reading your post. Thanks!!
    Last edited by sassy_scientist; Jul 5, 2006 at 4:16 PM.

but that's my name!!

Thank you, have a gold star and a big fat kiss.
    I recognise some of the symbols used but recently I bumped into the bi flag plastered all over the place, I was going to try to look it up on the internet but how do you look up something like that if you don't know what it's called?

Anyway I've always liked the rainbow flag, it's bright, bold, unmissable and I think it's pretty (I'd love to see the 8 coloured version) but this bi flag, okay fantastic we now have our own flag (yipee I think), but Eik it's ugly. My favorite colour varies between pink and purple but that thing is just horrible.

but that's my name!!

okay I've been thinking about this bi flag thing and I'm kinda convinced, I like the rainbow but it's not really mine, just on loan. So lets wave a flag