Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Hell Yes, You Do Exist! Biphobia in the World

Lets take a look at this from another point of view.

If you are Straight, Bisexual, bicurious, Gay, Lesbian Polly etc, and you venture into any kind of alternative "Lifestyle" that is outside of soceity's acceptance or normal regardless of what it may be, do people have the right to be judge mental, because in all fairness who has the right to judge anyone.

We are a Very happily married (F/M) couple and we have been actively involved with in the lifestyle for 23+ years, "Both Bi" and from what we hear and see on a daily basis from others absolutely amazes us:

eg: Quotes

BI or Gay people should NOT come to adult clubs..your not welcome go else where you freaks?

Bi or Gay people are just people that are sick?

Bi or Gay people have no place within the lifestyle?

I consider myself Straight, unless I/we are with a couple then were bi?

As long as I/we receive and not give then we are Straight"?

I am Bi-Situationaly bi? WHAT THE HELL!!!!

Bi men are gross...dont want to watch that...BUT bi women Woooo-Whoooo?

Hope everyone knows what were trying to say here, so simply put, we have started to see a patteren happen caused by others within the lifestyle, this needs to STOP.

P.S people involved within any lifestyle outside the normal, are starting to become more judgemental then those in/of soceity that are not involved!!!!!!

Everyone just please be respectful of others decisions everyone is seeking the same common factor...FUN FUN FUN......

Bye, have fun but always play and be safe.

Dallas & Diamond

Quote Originally Posted by Drew
    By Jon Pressick

"You're a fencesitter."
    "You're just confused."
    "You're just halfway to gay."
    "You spread disease.
    "You're just being trendy."
    "Make up your mind."

When I take a look at a website such as Bisexual.com, I am filled with joy at seeing so many bi folks coming together. We're a community, we're strong people. But that doesn't mean the road for us is paved in pink, purple and blue! Among the many struggles we still have to deal with is the undeniable influence that biphobia has on our lives.

I've been a freelance writer/activist in the greater queer and the smaller bi community for a number of years. And when I write articles, I often ask for input, putting out emails for people to comment. Never have I ever received such response than from my simple call out for experiences with biphobia. This is a topic that many people have, unfortunately, had experience with and is a definite touchstone for our community.

What is Biphobia?
    Wherever there exists differences in our world, there exist phobias. Be they an individual thing or a group mentality, humans seem to have a natural predilection toward fear. Perhaps the most widely recognized societal phobia is homophobia—the fear of people who love those of the same sex. Be it the result of religious beliefs, societal conditioning or just personal misunderstanding, homophobia is still rampant throughout the world. And for the longest time, bisexual people would have been lumped in under homophobia, given that we do have the ability to love those of the same sex. However, it just doesn't cut it. Bisexual people have a different set of experiences, that are, ahem, more complex than those covered by homophobia. And many of these experiences are based on where biphobia comes from.

Stereotypes and Biphobia
    Maybe you could relate to some of the quotes at the beginning of this article. They are just some of the many, many stereotypes that are affixed to bisexual people. Basically, bi people are considered sex-crazed, indiscriminate, confused, disease-carrying fools who are deluding themselves with the idea that they can't or don't have to chose between the two genders. Perhaps the most powerful idea of bisexuality is that it simply doesn't exist. Robyn Ochs, longtime bi activist, educator and author tells of doing workshops across the United States: "Almost every place I visit, one or more person says, "I don't believe in bisexuality."

Of course, any of these characteristics are unfair to place on a community as a whole or individuals. Unfortunately, it isn't even necessary for you to be directly assaulted with any of these stereotypes for you to be affected by them. Your very existence as a bi person can render you helpless in the face of outright discrimination. Cheryl Dobinson, an activist and creator of the bi women's 'zine The Fence, suggests that those who are confronted with these stereotypes may choose to "identify as another label, or no label at all."

Biphobia in the Straight Community
    Given the prevalence of homophobia in the world, it is easy to see how the straight community is a major influence of biphobia. Robyn Ochs, in Bisexuality: The Psychological and Politics of an Invisible Minority (Ed. Beth A. Firestein, Sage, 1996, pp 217–239), makes a blunt statement:

“It is obvious that bisexual individuals who are being approached by someone intent upon perpetrating violence against them as they leave a gay bar are unlikely to have the opportunity to say to the gay basher, "Oh actually, you see, we're bisexual, not gay, so please, only beat us up on one side." Nor would such a plea be likely to dissuade the person from assaulting them.”

Of course, biphobia is not just about physical violence. Biphobia from the heterosexual community can take many forms. People who come out to family can be ostracized and disowned, in much the same way gay men and lesbians are. Many people will not come out to their families fearing losing them. Bi people, particularly men, are also condemned as transmitters of disease to the straight community. They are perceived as recklessly engaging in gay sex and then coming home and infecting their unsuspecting wives and girlfriends (of course the same does apply to women), with STI's such as AIDS. In the same vein, bisexuals are often blamed for the breakdown of families, if after time, they come out to their spouses. The courts can then treat them unsympathetically when issues of custody of children arise.

All of these instances come from the societal belief of the superiority of heterosexuality over homoiphobia? Well, the best thing is to just be ourselves. Live your life the way you want. Take as a spouse whomever loves you and you love. If it works for you, have a lover of each gender, and carry a picture of each in your wallet. And while it may not be possible for everyone, wear your sexuality on your sleeve to establish you—and bisexuality in general—as someone and something that needs to be taken seriously and be respected.

(c) Copryight 2006 Jon Pressick
    it took me a long time to be comfortable with my bisexuality, but now that i am it its like a big weight off my shoulders
    Last edited by Drew; Apr 27, 2006 at 4:03 PM. Reason: just fixed the broken quote tags for you

I am a bit frustrated after having spent some time in the chat room with a certain individual who allowed his religious upbringing to enter into our discussion. Unfortunately, he was making moralistic calls on those of us who engaged in sex with two or more at once than the more generic one on one sex. Anyhow, I addressed this with him and left the room. I think it still ultimately is because of his own Biphobia and he still can't come to terms with it in the process just yet. I was angered at the time because he seemed to want to bring others down with him because of his own insecurity. I apologize for not having read all the entries here nor even the actual article here....I am simply venting.

Thumbs up Re: Hell Yes, You Do Exist! Biphobia in the World

kudos to u man thank you for saying what needed to be said , bi-sexuals all round i bet appreciate what u rendered in a short explanation of what prolly would have taken me forever n a day to put on paper , but there is something interesting about what uve said here , as u said in tha begining of this u wrote the typical statements that others often say but wehat about each sexual orientation individualll , like str8 ppl can lok at me can call me a fag or a homo and gays and lesbians can sit and call me a breeder or worse idk aint been called worse yet but ill let u know when i do , but at tha same tyme what tha hell can we say back , were half gay and half str8 so if i was to sit and call someone a fag or otherwise i would it would be tha pot calling the kettle black or if i said something to a str8 person it would be tha same situation u know what im saying , so i agree whole heartedly about what u say but ill add something , in a way most of us will never be truly happy , being bi-sexual we will always crave either a man or a woman always , so even while in a relationship with a woman i still wanna succ a dicc or bend over for some hott guy i met 5 mins ago , or while im with a man its the same thing i crave the opposite sex than what im with so i dont know , me personally , i fell ill never be hapy like this but ill say this much i love being bi-sexual so hell i aint gon change , i jus dont k now if ill ever be happy with having just one or the other but yea ur post is awesome and totaly true
    I CAN MAKE ALL UR FANTASIES COME TRUE BE IT PHYSICAL OR EMOTIONAL ILL BE THAT,SIGNED, ~CTHRU~

Question Re: Hell Yes, You Do Exist! Biphobia in the World

As a young bisexual just starting to come out to a few close friends, I was delighted to find a gay community in my city. Although I have made many good friends in this community in the years since, I am still shocked at the number of ignorant people who shun me upon finding out that I am bisexual. Many people assume that I hang around gay clubs because I am a 'fag hag' and I have been accused of dating wimmin just for appearances. I once overheard a conversation in a local gay bar wherein one man explained that the problem with bisexuals is that they are either in denial about being homosexual or are on the "straight" side of bi. How is it that a community that has overcome so much adversity with regards to gender identity and sexual orientation can turn around and shun those that don't fall clearly on one side of the line?

In the straight community I am often accused of being a slut because of my preferences, however I am very fortunate to be surrounded by good people who may be puzzled by my lifestyle but who aren't afraid to ask questions and to learn!

When I was first coming out I was known to say that I wish I was either straight or gay, either would make it easier for me. I would either have to come out to everyone or not have to at all, and would never have to choose between men and wimmin. Ask me now and I will tell you that I am proud to be bisexual, and wouldn't change that for the world!

Quote Originally Posted by glantern954
    I have to agree that this largely seems to be the case. It makes me sad.
    I must tell you that I am a bisexual woman, and after happily and contently reading your article and the responses to it I feel very blessed in my life. I run an LGBT at my local uni, which i set up with a guy friend, I have met 2 very good friends through this and aspire to help as many gay, bicurious, bisexual etc young people as I can in feeling comfortable with thier sexuality. All my friends and most my family know Im bisexual as i practically scream it from the rooftops and am proud to be bisexual. I went to london europride for the first time this year, it was fantastic and I felt at home.
    What I am trying to say is that yes you do need to be yourself, and use your confidence to help nuture and educate people about being bisexual, and help people who dont feel the wholeness I feel in my identity as a bisexual woman to realise its the best thing on earth, there is not enough love in the world as it is, and definatley I garentee you the majority of homophobes and biphobes are gay themselves, its so true! My ex boyfriend was a homophobe but was so feminine, and other signes led me to believe he was bisexual but he was so set in his ways (due to upbringing) that it was like getting blood out of a stone I couldnt help him, but through suppressing (to an extent) my sexuality due to his homophobia(which I now realise was biphobia to) he actually helped me to be stronger through my rejection of his ideas, and needless to say the stupid arse lost me!
    Anyways, be strong, be proud and most of all be yourself. I have not experienced biphobia in the gay community. Everyone come to london pride next year yeh babes!!!!
    Lucy xxxxx

Kudos, Driver 8. I feel the same way.

I've definitely experienced the "you just can't decide"/"there's no such thing" sentiments from both hetero *and* homosexuals. So while I have numerous gay and straight friends, none of them seem to completely understand bisexuality, even if they believe that they are accepting of it. I've been called a fag and a breeder from both sides, but what can I really say in my defense? In these cases, instead of seeing me as a person, they tend to see only the side of me that doesn't agree with their lifestyle.

Oh, and does anyone else get "if there weren't something wrong with you, you'd be happy finding a nice man (or woman, if you're a man) to be with"?

One of the favorite ideas where I am (when I'm at school) is the "college bisexual," AKA, the attention whore. I suppose because girls (moreso than guys) get drunk at parties and make out with each other, it leads everyone to think it's okay to assume that we're all just bi when we're drunk (and that we'll go back to being completely straight again when we graduate). I've been to one frat party in my entire life, and I didn't even drink when I was there (nor make out with anyone, regardless of gender). At a rather conservative, small school like mine, it seems impossible to break this stereotype...

EDIT: Oh, and while I'm thinking about college, I can't forget the straight male friend of mine who said he hates bi women because all they do is create more competition for him... So even the straight guys have reason to hate us!

Another thing I've found is that people think bisexuality = no discretion. As if having the ability to be attracted to both genders means that we're attracted to/will have sex with anyone and everyone at any time. I know for me, at least (and probably most everyone else), being bi doesn't make my sex life a rampant free-for-all. In fact, I've had few partners and I take my relationships very seriously because I'm a rather picky person.
    Last edited by EludedSunshine; Jul 13, 2006 at 3:44 PM. Reason: Something to add...
    How delicate her feet who shuns the ground, stepping a-tiptoe on the heads of men.
    ~Homer

arifureta nichijou kara issou tobifurite shimaitai kurai

i like boys and i like girls and i confirmed this after a particularly exciting party when i was a teenager. nuff said. i was really lucky, all my friends were comfortable with that, most were admitted to being more than a little curious.

recently i ended a serious relaionship with a boy and to cheer myself up went out with a lesbian friend of mine to a gaybar. i look very femine so am used to the usual taughts about not being gay enough (!) to fit in but after chatting up a girl all night i mentioned that i was bi and suffered a torrent of abuse, like i had led her on and was in some way diluting what it was to be gay! i left in a fury and mentioned this to my friends who all said "but isn't about time you chose tho?" that comment led me to this site where i am relieved and touched to be reassured that people like me exist. thank you so much, now i feel confident that the decisions i made as a teenager were and still are right for me. its true that many people see bi as a halfway house to gay but thats their problem not mine!

Unhappy Re: Hell Yes, You Do Exist! Biphobia in the World

Why's it so hard to love one another ?
    Why's it so hard to love ?
    What do I have to do to be accepted ?
    What do I have to say ?
    What do I have to do to be respected ?
    How do I have to play ?
    What do I have to look like to feel I'm equal ?
    Where do I have to go ?
    What club do I have to join to prove I'm worthy ?
    Who do I have to know ?
    What do I have to learn to know what's right for me ?
    What do I have to know ?
    What am I going to do when I feel righteous ?
    Where do I have to go ?
    Who should get to say what I believe in ?
    Who should have the right ?
    What am I going to do with all this anger ?
    Why do I have to fight ?
    I'm telling you brothers, sisters !
    Why can't we learn to challenge the system
    Without living in pain ?
    Brothers, sisters !
    Why can't we learn to accept that we're different ?
    Before it's too late !
    Why's it so damn hard ?
    } }

awsome JON
    i sent this to my gay friends
    They still dont get the bi thing
    they swear im gay.
    i hope they read it
    BIGREGORY

Also in response to the "so far back in the closet they don't know where the door is" comment...

Everybody has a different story, it's just a matter of degree. Some people hate the idea of calling attention to themselves in any way, others jump right out without invitation or provocation and proclaim their state of being to the entire world. Others fear reprisals from one or many quarters, and still others (me, for example) know that people whom we love would be hurt by such an admission, and that the loved ones would lash back with extreme actions (whatever they may be).
    Yes, I understand the idea that I and others who share my outlook are just "pathetic cowards (overheard recently in a local restaurant) who lack a backbone and need a good swift kick." Do not make the mistake, however, of thinking that just because I understand it, I therefore agree with or do not dispute it. Nothing, in fact, could be further from the truth.
    We know where the door is, all too well -- and we know what lies beyond it. On a lighter note, there is more than one way to fight a battle.
    Two unfortunate things to have to admit are
    (1) that there are still people here in the US who are not completely free to do as they wish, and
    (2) that it is not always as simple as just throwing away what a criticizing person insists is an unhealthy relationship.
    I also understand the idea that denying to oneself and to others one's true state of being is a life-shortening act. I agree that lying to oneself about what one is, or is not, is quite literally unhealthy. I do not agree that stepping out from behind a rock before the major threats to one's wellbeing have all been taken care of is a good idea. Such is not an act of growth, but of suicide.
    Some may feel that such an outlook is cowardly. Fine. They can feel that way if they want, while I go on and live a happy life knowing what I am and not requiring myself to parade it around for everybody to stare and shake their heads at. I dont mean to dis anyone on this site; I have, however, encountered quite a few such outlooks in real life.
    As for what one's gay friends have to say about it, well...one should consider the fact that gay friends don't always know whats best for their bi friends, or really have their bi friends' best interests at heart (or vice versa). Many, I suspect, are actively trying to reduce what they see as a "threat" of dilution to the gay community ("dilution" meant literally; in other words, lessening the strength of the gay community by allowing yet another term into the "club"). Please forgive me if I am inserting unsaid or unimplied words, buuuuuuuuuuttt (lol) the apparent idea that they know more about the bi person than the bi person knows about him or her self is in my opinion indicative of a personality that needs to work on it's acceptance of others).

bum_ditty

in one town i lived in we had a bi coffee shop and its was awsome, but alas now im in an area were you just cant be or least act anything but straight. But it does make it hard when both sides are pullin agaisnt the middle
    Leoben To Starbuck) I know you. You're damaged. You were born to a woman who believed that suffering was good for the soul, so you suffered.

Starbuck: frak! your b... stole my ride

I was so happy to see this article posted as I myself have had many experiences with bi-discrimination. Conditions may be different elsewhere, but where I live there is not a lot of support for bisexual people. I mean, we have a gay/lesbian dance club and a gay/lesbian news bulletin, and responses to those groups have been fairly positive. I've found however that being bi, I've been met with negativity from both sides- straight people haven't been accepting of my love of both genders, and a lot of gay/lesbian people have told me I'm in denial of being lesbian. And yes it is sometimes awkward participating in BGLT groups, but I would rather suck it up and ignore the negative comments of a few in favor of being around folks who, for the most part, are a lot more welcoming then the straight community. *shrug* Might be different for most folks, but that's my experience and opinion.
    "He who laughs at himself will forever be amused."
    ~one of life's many truths~

but that's my name!!

"You're a fencesitter."
    "You're just confused."
    "You're just halfway to gay."
    "You spread disease."
    "You're just being trendy."
    "Make up your mind."

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :I go into frenzied rage: AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH :I sit and cry:

Hi all, I love this site, but some people think we are promiscuous just cause we're bi. My Profile probably didn't do much to change that, but I was being honest at least. I think most people are bi but for whatever reason can't deal with it, and I understand that, it's taken me years to finally accept the fact that I'm bi. I like both sexes, so what! "It's no hanging matter, it's no capital crime" Mick Jagger sang on "Stray Cat Blues" and he was exactly right, if it feels good for you it's probably ok, so sue me. (Great comments from EludedSunshine in Chicago earlier, she hit the nail on the head.)
    Last edited by stillconfused; Mar 5, 2007 at 11:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew
    By Jon Pressick

[FLOATLEFT][IMG] And while it may not be possible for everyone, wear your sexuality on your sleeve to establish you—and bisexuality in general—as someone and something that needs to be taken seriously and be respected.

Jon Pressick is the feature article editor for Bisexual.com. He is also the publisher of TRADE: Queer Things and a past contributor to Xtra!, Gaiety, Broken Pencil, Women’s Post and Quill and Quire.

I have to disagree. My friend Kyle is homosexual, doesn't act it, doesn't dress in rainbows, He's himself and happy with who he is, and he's the most accepted gay man I know. My friend Wyatt told me once "yeah, I used to be homophobic, but when Kyle told me he was gay, it made me realize homosexuals are just like everyone else."

I think wearing it all over can help OR hinder.

Just joined the site 20 minutes ago.
    Really enjoyed the article.
    I do have a few points/observations I'd like to share.
    1.According to Kinsey, most people are bi to some degree, & therefore, WE'RE the majority/mainstream!!! Perception is reality. Some of you may feel oppressed because you may PERCIEVE yourselves as the minorities, when in fact...There's a reason why you get "vibes" from people no matter where you go...

2.People will never accept your orientation because they haven't yet gotten around to accepting their own. Those who hate those who've done nothing to cause them any harm, really have a problem with their own orientation/color/gender, and are simply projecting their own self-hatred onto you. My personal experience is that the more honest they are with themselves, the more comfortable they are with you.

3.I've been very lucky in that I've only had one negative experience like the ones discussed in the article, but that was from a gay guy I used to sleep with who didn't want to, as he put it, "lose me". I've noticed that people comfortable w/ themselves ask me if I'm bi, while the uncomfortable ones assume I'm either gay or straight. Perhaps once you know yourself, you're far better able to "read" others vibes, etc. My whole family was like "Well, duh!!! You like big muscle guys and busty women. What else would you be?" I was like, "Well, you could've told me and saved me YEARS of anguish!" Actually, it turned out that my "anguish" had more to do with the fact that I wasn't attracted to anyone around me at the time, leaving me to feel asexual. Then, I discovered Europeans. YUM!!! Is it me, or is the whole Continent Bi-sexual?

4.As for those "guys" who want girl/girl action for their own benefit, I think it's time to read between the lines. Don't you get it? What those guys are really saying is, "Please, like me, make me feel good about myself because I'd feel like such a loser otherwise". They know that same-sex sex has a much more powerful energy to it than opposite-sex sex, and this makes them feel useless. They already use so many camouflages to compensate for their severe feelings of masculine inadequacy. That's simply one more.

5.They call you "slut" because the fantasize about your sex life, then become bitter when they realize that theirs will never be as interesting. Look at the first person in the room who'll use that word about you, and you'll see that I'm right on this one.

Love the site. Glad it's here. Can anyone recommend any bi clubs in Toronto, NYC, London or LA?
    Thanks in advance.
    Later.

Oh, and one last thing.
    I've tended to notice that the "hotter" the person, the less likely anyone is to give a crap about their sexual orientation, esp. bi or gay. As my mom put it after she learned that study about gay men having the highest rates of test. in their systems, "This is why so many people have a problem with so many gay men. It's becuase most gay and bi people LOOK LIKE CRAP, don't take care of themselves, etc. My point is, different goups of people have different gifts from which the rest of society can used to be "shown the way", as it were. To my mind, LGBT folk were blessed with the extra hormones, etc., which some say makes them the most sexual people around(regardless of how much sex they actually have), but they tend to present themselves in such unflattering, unappealing ways that NO ONE wants to learn from them about how to be comfortable in one's own sexual skin, which, I believe is their collective gift to the world, teaching others how to be that comfortable, kinda like the way White rockers always seek out Blacks bluesmen in order to become more credible musicians."

At first, I was taken aback. Everytime she saw an unattractive gay man, she'd always say that he'd "be better off str8", pointing out his unlikelyhood to get laid, etc., whereas if str8, str8 women's standards are so low, that he still "had a shot". Anyway, she was right.
    Example:
    I used to worked at Colony Records, "in" the Brill Bldg. in NYC.
    Most of the guys there assumed I was either gay or bi because guys kept coming back into my section...but never bought anything. Never mind all of the hot, exotic girls there, too. Anyway, I began to work out during my "tenure" there, and as I got more buff, the less uncomfortable they were as they began to as me all kinds of questions they've always wanted to ask...someone, anyone, which, in turn made them more comfortable w/ themselves. I like being a big, beefy Yoda. Others do not. Long story short: By becoming the best me I could be, I became someone from whom they all wanted to learn...and sometimes, be, and my sexuality was never again an issue...mainly because I was seen as sexy. Being 6'7" tall w/ really broad shoulders and a 50+" chest kinda helped, too.
    Being anything-sexual without actually being sexy is like being a eunuch-with no harem to protect. we want to see sexy bi-sexuals. If
    Ricky Martin or Mario Lopez(Aaaaaaaaaand there's the flop sweat...)
    were to ever come out as bi, trust me, we'd gain a whole new, POSITIVE visability. Or as mom says, "If HOT same-sex couples tried to get married, the laws would change in their favor TOMORROW! It's bad enough to have ugly opposite-sex couples marrying and breeding..."
    IT'S TIME TO BRING THE SEXY BACK TO BISEXUAL, PEOPLE!!!

CRAP, I forgot something else.
    The main reason that I never get the "you're just confused" crap is because people know that I only sleep with people who are on the exact same spot on the KInsey scale as I am(Equally gay & srt8, which, I guess, accounts for the fact that I can build a house with my bare hands, then decorate the hell out of it!lol) and no one else. Yes, this represents a small number of the population, but, for me, it makes the finding of such a compatible person all the sweeter. I never sllep with gay men or straight women, or even other bi's of differing Kinsey spots because we don't share similar desires in similar amounts. For me, it always comes down to total compatibility. Yes, I'm really long-winded. Sorry about that.

The reason I looked for a site like this tonight was because of the very things mentioned in this article. I finally just got sick of biphobia from people (specifically my family and friends). I have a friend to talk about this with, who seems to understand, but she's straight and as kind as she is, it's really not the same. I'm really glad to have found somewhere to feel better about these subjects with, and even more thrilled to have read this article since it was like a confirmation that, indeed, I am not alone.

Thanks, Jon!

I've told everyone except my family. Both my parents are specificaly bi-phobic...they say they can understand homosexuality because its "like straight, just reversed". But apparently bisexuality is just a way of sleeping with everyone you can find and is just made up. This is why I had a hard time accepting that i was bi

Quote Originally Posted by EludedSunshine View Post
    Kudos, Driver 8. I feel the same way.

I've definitely experienced the "you just can't decide"/"there's no such thing" sentiments from both hetero *and* homosexuals. So while I have numerous gay and straight friends, none of them seem to completely understand bisexuality, even if they believe that they are accepting of it. I've been called a fag and a breeder from both sides, but what can I really say in my defense? In these cases, instead of seeing me as a person, they tend to see only the side of me that doesn't agree with their lifestyle.

Oh, and does anyone else get "if there weren't something wrong with you, you'd be happy finding a nice man (or woman, if you're a man) to be with"?

One of the favorite ideas where I am (when I'm at school) is the "college bisexual," AKA, the attention whore. I suppose because girls (moreso than guys) get drunk at parties and make out with each other, it leads everyone to think it's okay to assume that we're all just bi when we're drunk (and that we'll go back to being completely straight again when we graduate). I've been to one frat party in my entire life, and I didn't even drink when I was there (nor make out with anyone, regardless of gender). At a rather conservative, small school like mine, it seems impossible to break this stereotype...

EDIT: Oh, and while I'm thinking about college, I can't forget the straight male friend of mine who said he hates bi women because all they do is create more competition for him... So even the straight guys have reason to hate us!

Another thing I've found is that people think bisexuality = no discretion. As if having the ability to be attracted to both genders means that we're attracted to/will have sex with anyone and everyone at any time. I know for me, at least (and probably most everyone else), being bi doesn't make my sex life a rampant free-for-all. In fact, I've had few partners and I take my relationships very seriously because I'm a rather picky person.
    Confession time. I admit to being one of those guys in college, who held a certain amount of animosity towards bi girls and lesbians for something as trivial and stupid as creating more competition. I wasn't good with ladies back then, so I blamed the bi's. Sorry.

But, look at it this way. It proves that a lot of homo/biphobia comes from people who are closeted themselves.

(Yes, I'm lurking and I tried to leave before. Of course I came back in here... with curiosity of how it's been going 'sigh. :|)

I have gotten the "Bisexuals are just greedy" line, and boy did it make me mad, and of course I wanted to correct it. Turned out he was ignorant of bisexuality. I was suprised that this one said it, because he claimed he was gay. It's such a contradiction. Beleiving that gay orientation isn't a choice for gays, and yet saying "Aha! Look at that bisexual chooseing to like both.." WTF?... Logical? no.

I of course protest the gay hate that I surprisingly seem to just stumble across repeatidly in World of Warcraft. (If I played other online games, it might be there to. 'sigh' What a drag) I like to play the male sex primarily, and got called Faggot for some stupid reason now and then. Sometimes the chat will be like "Go suck cock, stupid fag." "What about your two daddies?" used negatively, not possitively for trade chat fighting. *eye roll*

At which I promtly state things like "YOU shut up. All of us are trying to relax here, and you #$% it up for everybody!"... "Could you please leave everyone else in peace?! GOD!", "Oh you're soooo proud... right..." they just go further like the trolls they are till, basically just about everyone has had it with them. I more than imagine, if I stated I was bisexual they would be stupid accordingly. "Oh so you like to sleep around with everyone? Wow!"
    "OGM that's discusting... AIDS!"
    "Is your dog ok after you entered it?" (People just assume you play your own sex.)
    "See? Zanthis confessed that he just can't get satisfied." uhm no.

.... troll logic of theirs, you know how it is. I seem to get screaming urges to feed trolls sometimes.
    Last edited by Lienda; Feb 9, 2009 at 2:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lienda View Post
    (Yes, I'm lurking and I tried to leave before. Of course I came back in here... with curiosity of how it's been going 'sigh. :|)

I have gotten the "Bisexuals are just greedy" line, and boy did it make me mad, and of course I wanted to correct it. Turned out he was ignorant of bisexuality. I was suprised that this one said it, because he claimed he was gay. It's such a contradiction. Beleiving that gay orientation isn't a choice for gays, and yet saying "Aha! Look at that bisexual chooseing to like both.." WTF?... Logical? no.

I of course protest the gay hate that I surprisingly seem to just stumble across repeatidly in World of Warcraft. (If I played other online games, it might be there to. 'sigh' What a drag) I like to play the male sex primarily, and got called Faggot for some stupid reason now and then. Sometimes the chat will be like "Go suck cock, stupid fag." "What about your two daddies?" used negatively, not possitively for trade chat fighting. *eye roll*

At which I promtly state things like "YOU shut up. All of us are trying to relax here, and you #$% it up for everybody!"... "Could you please leave everyone else in peace?! GOD!", "Oh you're soooo proud... right..." they just go further like the trolls they are till, basically just about everyone has had it with them. I more than imagine, if I stated I was bisexual they would be stupid accordingly. "Oh so you like to sleep around with everyone? Wow!"
    "OGM that's discusting... AIDS!"
    "Is your dog ok after you entered it?" (People just assume you play your own sex.)
    "See? Zanthis confessed that he just can't get satisfied." uhm no.

.... troll logic of theirs, you know how it is. I seem to get screaming urges to feed trolls sometimes.
    Oh I see this crap all time and in WoW especially, but it's gotten better. But I'm so dissapointed in homosexuals who disown or hate use because we like both. There are lesbians who say that bi girls end up with men. You wanna know why? 1. they fell in love. Yeah 'Love' you know that thing that you're always trying to convince religious fanatics that your sexuality is about and not choice? Yes that thing. 2. Because a whole lot of lesbians hate us and don't want to associate with us. "If you hang around dykes you tend to meet dykes." - http://liliane.comicgenesis.com

And I think that it is equally hard to biguys and bigirls; bigirls are seen as being trendy, or whores or solely for feeding the fantasies or hetero couples or hetero men, or confused. And bi guys get to go with the same crap that gay men go through, plus the, "It's a stage", "You're really gay" "You're confused" crap and the worst in my mind. "Its okay for me (the girl) to be bi but I wouldn't like it if my guy were bi because men are bestial and gross and it spreads disease." Um, WTF? I know there are as many types of bisexuals as there are starts in the sky but common, we at least have to support each other.

I wish I had read this article when I was 17.

-

Verses and proseof Maria KarpinskayaFrom the "PILGRIMAGE TO HOLY PLACES"India "MEETING WITH THE MOUNTAIN"Here in the heart of IndiaThere is a sacred mountain Arunachala,The legends say that Shiva-God lives in the mountainOn a full moon I walked around Him from all the sides.I walked by hard and lengthy wayAnd saw my whole life as integralAnd wall of time was crumblingAnd the past lived here near to the presentAnd light of future was dissolved in it foreverMy soul heeded music of all timesAnd sang the song of life and glorified God:"God, youre so fineYou created this mountain and the valley,In which gave me mildness of night,And clarity of clear moon.Soul cries to the body to love youAnd the body is so obedient to meAnd it continuesIn the beautiful lines of the holy mountainAnd sanctity of my bodyCalls me to heights of senses.I go by timelessnessIn circle of four spacesAnd every spaceShows me new look of GodAnd I see myself in it.Here the thoughts like cloudsCapped the mountain top,I accepted them joyfully and without sorrowAnd the thoughts slid down the mountainsideThen slipped offAnd touched with valley of my heartThe warmth of the heart turned them in weightlessnessOn the sky had grown wonderful patterns of clouds,But suddenly they sawPale princess - my moonAnd played with her,Moon hid behind the cloudsAnd in the world suddenly spills ink,And the night descends veil for those,Who doesnt sleep and praises GoddessTalents and thieves singing songs for herThe poet takes the ink and writes a poems about loveAnd the thief takes the excess of propertyAnd eases my way.But suddenly the moon will playfully come out from behind the cloudsAnd the world will fill with white paintAnd holiness will reign on earthMy beauty, Goddess,Give me white paint of lightIll paint with it the peoples hearts.But need I also some red colour.I want to see smileIn the light of the moon - red,She promises me luckAnd agitates the blood.I want to kindle fire in your nightThe fire in the minds of people with smile of love.What else would you give me on the way?Do you propose the milk of your celestial cows?Thank you, I do not drink it.For me more pleasant Milky Way in heavens,But you hid it from my eyes.O beauty, how many stars you overshadowed with white light?I go by way of eternity around the circle And the mountain sends me kisses,And there are lights from kissing left.They move into some houses,Which called here temples,And Im entering into your kiss,My mountain, my God,And clean my body and touch youAnd fire tickles my palms.You are so greatAnd how gentle Your kissesOn the road of timeThe trees affably waving to me;Hello, treesI was waiting for you longDo you know about me?"Yes, we have all the knowledge of your heartWe remain peaceful.Peace is in you, O Mary "And I became the soul of the trees,They let me into their essence.And the trees have become smarterAnd the trees became animatedAnd we melted into each other,And my leaves told me "Hello"My clouds as thoughts of feelingsFell on the top of the mountainThe mountain smiled at me: "See you, child"At the end of the pathMeeting and parting mergedIn one mighty stream of life and light...And... LOVE reigned in the soul.Author: Maria Lilith Karpinskaya. 1995.Translation Of Maya Nikolaeva.