PDA

View Full Version : Update on coming out to my aunt...

Mimi
Apr 6, 2006, 8:50 PM
For those of you interested, I just wanted to update you on the situation about coming out to my aunt, which I did over e-mail last week. I had been waiting with baited breath all week.............. So she wrote me back and said that she supports me and does not look at me any differently. She also said that I have a right to choose my own lifestyle. She also praised me for my courage in telling her.

I was so touched and thrilled! :bigrin: It was such a heartwarming e-mail, that really expressed the best thing a bi person could hear.

Bitheway, my aunt and I are pretty close, even though she lives on the east coast. We don't see each other much, but we keep in touch through e-mail (she's pretty computer savvy for a 60-something Asian woman). She is someone who has always been a very warm and encouraging force in my life. That's why I was so nervous in telling her -- it was a big risk for me, to possibly lose her support in my life. So that's why I'm so ecstatic about this!!!

Mimi :flag1:

alleycat
Apr 6, 2006, 9:17 PM
This is a wonderful story! Congratulations Mimi! It takes a lot of courage to do that - and risk loosing family that means so much to you. Good for your Aunt to hear you and support your decisions in life - don't you wish everyone could act like that?!

Alley

arana
Apr 6, 2006, 9:28 PM
Congratulations on the great response, Mimi. It's always good to hear when someone has been accepted by their loved ones.

serenity
Apr 6, 2006, 11:34 PM
Yeah Mimi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wiggle2: :bounce: :bounce: I'm very proud of you for your courage. Especially with the challenges you face in a very traditional asian family. :bowdown: thank you for being such a positive role model in the bisexual community. Your strength and guidance as an "out" bisexual woman is inspiring and supportive. All my love my dearest friend :grouphug: :kiss:
Serenity

MsDivineRaven
Apr 6, 2006, 11:43 PM
Hey Sexy Lady!
I'm very happy that your aunt responded in that way!
Heaven knows that the 60 year olds in my family surely don't react that way.
Hell, I don't even think the younger ones would react in a positive way, oh wells.

Flounder1967
Apr 6, 2006, 11:46 PM
very happy for you mimi

Mimi
Apr 7, 2006, 1:27 PM
Thanks alleycat, arana, serenity, msdivineraven, and flounder, for your responses. I am very happy indeed for myself, and to be able to share some positive news and a successful coming-out story in a our community. :bibounce:

Mimi :flag1:

rumple4skin
Apr 7, 2006, 3:17 PM
Mimi,
Congrats on taking a risk and having it pay off. Good for you. I recently told a new friend of mine I am bi. I was not sure how he would react because I think he is very religious but he did not seem to care. We are still friends. Just figured I would throw in my :2cents: about a positive recent out coming as well.
Thanks,
Rumple

serenity
Apr 7, 2006, 10:26 PM
rumple, good for you!!!!! Glad to hear of another positive coming out!!!! :kiss:

PeterH
Apr 9, 2006, 3:50 PM
Hi Mimi,

I'm so glad for you that you got such a positive response from your aunt, who means so much to you. It was very courageous of you to tell her.
All the best, PeterH

BI BOYTOY
Apr 10, 2006, 4:57 AM
HEY WAY TO GO MIMI.it is hard to tell someone your close to.im happy all wenr well. :bibounce: :bibounce: :flag2: :bigrin: :bigrin: