PDA

View Full Version : Breaking the taboo over the mental health crisis among Britain's gay men

slipnslide
Aug 25, 2010, 8:28 PM
The Guardian: Breaking the taboo over the mental health crisis among Britain's gay men (http://gu.com/p/2j6ph/tw)

The article is specific to gay men, but I think a lot of the problem is very applicable to bisexuals in general.

Long Duck Dong
Aug 25, 2010, 10:41 PM
I would be bloody careful with stuff like that...... and I say that based on personal experience....

I have dysthimia that is a type of depression, so I deal with issues on a daily basis, now the dysthimia affected me well before the bisexuality did.... yet if I was to take my own life, the bisexuality would be classed as the reason for me doing it, and a inability to resolve issues with the bisexuality

its a bit like the idea that smokers die from lung cancer, and if any non smoker has been near or around a smoker, and the non smoker develops lung cancer, its cos of being around the smoker

most people take their lives cos of a unability to resolve issues within themselves..... and unless they clearly state the reason for it, we apply a reason..... then add them together..... so gay man commits suicide and gay man with mental health issues commits suicide = gay men commit suicide more
but if its heteros, its different..... hetero man commits suicide and hetero man with health health issues commits suicide = two people that commit suicide, one was mentally ill

citystyleguy
Aug 26, 2010, 1:41 AM
i suppose that i should read the actual article, but sounds like a whole lotta' statistical hooey, another means for the general hetero-centered society to make anyone different feel inferior, thus to control thru manipulation. hell, if religious dogma wont scare them, if fear of beatings wont scare them, all that etc load of shit, then lets make them think that they're mental sickos. i mean after all, statistical anaylsis cant lie! :rolleyes: if you believe that, then here is an urban folk lore for all you believers, the pope, the dalai lama, and the ayatollah are actually in a menage a trois! ...and are spreading religious dogma as a smoke screen! :eek:

i have to laugh, straight men are less likely to suffer from mental heallth issues??? ...and the ones declaring this enlightenment are other straight men???; mmmhhh this is beggining to sound just like religionistas and their declarations that the godhead they created declares these same religionistas the ones best to lead us out of the darkeness.

...and now, all the pundits that will declare the guardian, and whatever that other publications name, sound points of reference. damn, makes the head swim!

i think this is time for an espresso break! :cool:

coyotedude
Aug 26, 2010, 2:28 AM
Thought-provoking article. Thanks for sharing.

One reason I found this article to be interesting is because I volunteer for a local non-profit that works with LGBT youth. The organization is trying to help LGBT youth avoid some of the very problems mentioned in this article - to provide a supportive and safe environment and to help foster a sense of pride in themselves and their community. Even though this area is known for its acceptance of the LGBT community, a lot of these young people still face some serious obstacles as they come to terms with their sexual orientation or gender identity.

Peace

Hephaestion
Aug 26, 2010, 4:52 AM
Agree with LDD on this.

Classifying people and making associations is very fashionable.

Medics are one big problem in leaping to erroneous conclusions. They like to tick boxes and make up words to suggest knowledge.

Those familiar with statistical analyisis will know that correlations do not necessarily mean causality. Even where causality is implied there may or may not be a direct link etc.

And of course, as the maxim says, there are lies damned lies and statistics.

slipnslide
Aug 26, 2010, 4:59 PM
Thought-provoking article. Thanks for sharing.

One reason I found this article to be interesting is because I volunteer for a local non-profit that works with LGBT youth. The organization is trying to help LGBT youth avoid some of the very problems mentioned in this article - to provide a supportive and safe environment and to help foster a sense of pride in themselves and their community. Even though this area is known for its acceptance of the LGBT community, a lot of these young people still face some serious obstacles as they come to terms with their sexual orientation or gender identity.

Peace

I thought it was interesting too - especially the thoughts about how sexualized the gay/(bi) world is now. I agreed with Todd how "there's nothing that's just healthy, gentle and relaxed."

slipnslide
Aug 26, 2010, 5:34 PM
I find the denial and defensiveness of this community absolutely fascinating - something that is addressed in the article.

Also fascinating, the number of threads and replies relating to eating cum, either yours or someone else's, and pubic shaving.

The end of civilization is near.

slipnslide
Aug 26, 2010, 10:07 PM
Bah, just ignore me. I'm in a long running angry self-loathing phase.