PDA

View Full Version : QUOTES - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Doggie_Wood
Aug 21, 2010, 9:40 PM
This thread is not to stir up anything! It is mearly the posting of memorable, and not so memorable, meaningful and not so meaningful quotes .... from where ever and who ever.
That being said, let the QUOTES begin . . . . . . . .

‎"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests."--Patrick Henry

darkeyes
Aug 21, 2010, 10:06 PM
I wish no harm to any human being, but I, as one man, am going to exercise my freedom of speech. No human being on the face of the earth, no government is going to take from me my right to speak, my right to protest against wrong, my right to do everything that is for the benefit of mankind. I am not here, then, as the accused; I am here as the accuser of capitalism dripping with blood from head to foot.

John Mclean (1879-1923) to the High Court, Edinburgh in 1918 at his trial for sedition.

DuckiesDarling
Aug 21, 2010, 10:09 PM
Be not angry that you cannot make others as you wish them to be, since you cannot make yourself as you wish to be. ~Thomas Ă* Kempis, Imitation of Christ, c.1420

Long Duck Dong
Aug 21, 2010, 10:09 PM
*freedom*...... william wallace before he was drawn and quartered 23 August 1305

( I am refering to braveheart with mel gibson )

DuckiesDarling
Aug 21, 2010, 10:10 PM
Now that it's all over, what did you really do yesterday that's worth mentioning? ~Coleman Cox

darkeyes
Aug 21, 2010, 10:16 PM
I do not wish [women] to have power over men; but over themselves

Mary Wollstonecraft (1759-1797)

DuckiesDarling
Aug 21, 2010, 10:18 PM
You can tell more about a person by what he says about others than you can by what others say about him. ~Leo Aikman

Just remember, there's a right way and a wrong way to do everything and the wrong way is to keep trying to make everybody else do it the right way. ~M*A*S*H, Colonel Potter

Long Duck Dong
Aug 21, 2010, 10:23 PM
If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z, X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut.
John Dryden
Astroea Redux

Since the general civilization of mankind, I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations.
James madison

MarieDelta
Aug 21, 2010, 11:38 PM
"Leave the problems of God to God and karma to karma. Today you're here and nothing you do will change that. Today you are alive and here and honored and blessed with good fortune. Look at this suset, it's beautiful, neh? This sunset exists. Tomorrow does not exist. There is only now. Please look. It is so beautiful and it will never happen ever again, never, not this sunset, never in all infinity. Lose yourself in it, make yourself one with nature and do not worry about karma, yours, mine, or that of the village. "
— James Clavell

All successful newspapers are ceaselessly querulous and bellicose. They never defend anyone or anything if they can help it; if the job is forced on them, they tackle it by denouncing someone or something else.
H. L. Mencken

In the United States, doing good has come to be, like patriotism, a favorite device of persons with something to sell.
H. L. Mencken

The world always makes the assumption that the exposure of an error is identical with the discovery of truth--that the error and truth are simply opposite. They are nothing of the sort. What the world turns to, when it is cured of one error, is usually simply another error, and maybe one worse than the first one.
H. L. Mencken

Under democracy one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule - and both commonly succeed, and are right.
H. L. Mencken

There is always a well-known solution to every human problem--neat, plausible, and wrong.
H. L. Mencken, Prejudices: Second Series, 1920

Not2str8
Aug 22, 2010, 12:07 AM
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." - Groucho Marx

mikey3000
Aug 22, 2010, 12:31 AM
"Of course President George W Bush isn't lying. He's from Texas." :bigrin:

- woman on the street interview

12voltman59
Aug 22, 2010, 3:36 AM
My regular tag line to my posts is a pretty good one I do believe.

darkeyes
Aug 22, 2010, 8:08 AM
O bugger.. the laccie has just gone in me knickers.:eek:

My mum while upon entering my brothers fiancee's parents house on the occasion of their engagement party..:bigrin:

Excuse me, Alex, would you mind putting that away.

My mum addressing same brother at the same party on the occasion of him walking out of the loo with his willie on show..

Realist
Aug 22, 2010, 8:21 AM
Don't remember who said this:

"Sir, you are obstinate, arrogant and ignorant....... and I am drunk. Tomorrow I will be sober, but you will remain obstinate, arrogant and ignorant!"

From a conversation between famous adversaries...do you know who said this?:

Lady: "Sir, if you were my husband, I'd poison you!"

Man: "Madam, if you were my wife, I'd drink it!"

**Peg**
Aug 22, 2010, 10:19 AM

From a conversation between famous adversaries...do you know who said this?:

Lady: "Sir, if you were my husband, I'd poison you!"

Man: "Madam, if you were my wife, I'd drink it!"

Lady Astor to Winston Churchill:

“'Mr. Churchill, if you were my husband, I'd poison your tea!'
his reply: "And if you were my wife, I would drink it!”

Lady Astor was giving a costume ball and Winston Churchill asked her what disguise she would recommend for him. She replied,
"Why don't you come sober, Mr. Prime Minister?"

He replied: "The water was not fit to drink. To make it palatable, we had to add whiskey. By diligent effort, I learned to like it."

MarieDelta
Aug 22, 2010, 11:00 AM
"If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive."
— Audre Lorde

"Your silence will not protect you."
— Audre Lorde

"I have a duty to speak the truth as I see it and share not just my triumphs, not just the things that felt good, but the pain, the intense, often unmitigated pain. It is important to share how I know survival is survival and not just a walk throught the rain."
— Audre Lorde

"Unless one lives and loves in the trenches, it is difficult to remember that the war against dehumanization is ceaseless."
— Audre Lorde

"It is not our differences that divide us. It is our inability to recognize, accept, and celebrate those differences."
— Audre Lorde (Our Dead Behind Us: Poems)

"For within livin structures defined by profit, by linear power, by institutional dehumanization, our feelings were not meant to survive. Kept around as unavoidable adjuncts or pleasant pastimes, our feelings were expected to kneel to thought as women were expected to kneel to men. But women have survived. As poets."
— Audre Lorde (Sister Outsider: Essays and Speeches)

darkeyes
Aug 22, 2010, 11:08 AM
You can take no credit for beauty at sixteen. But if you are beautiful at sixty, it will be your soul's own doing.

Marie Stopes (1880-1958)

darkeyes
Aug 22, 2010, 11:27 AM
The only thing wrong with being an atheist is that there's nobody to talk to during an orgasm.

Unknown

darkeyes
Aug 22, 2010, 1:05 PM
Bessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving wordy evidence of the fact.

George Eliot

MarieDelta
Aug 22, 2010, 1:07 PM
Life isn't fair. It's just fairer than death, that's all.
William Goldman
The Princess Bride

darkeyes
Aug 22, 2010, 1:24 PM
Oh, wad some power the giftie gie us To see oursel's as ithers see us! It wad frae monie a blunder free us, And foolish notion.

Rabbie Burns (1759-96)

MarieDelta
Aug 22, 2010, 1:25 PM
God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of his own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players, to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.
Terry Pratchett, "Good Omens"

MarieDelta
Aug 22, 2010, 1:31 PM
Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.
Terry Pratchett, Discworld

RockGardener
Aug 22, 2010, 1:33 PM
You can try to teach a pig to sing, but neither of you are going to have any fun!!!

I have no idea who, but I say it alot.

littlerayofsunshine
Aug 22, 2010, 1:58 PM
Rhett Butler: You're like the thief who isn't the least bit sorry he stole, but is terribly, terribly sorry he's going to jail.

Rhett Butler: No, I don't think I will kiss you, although you need kissing, badly. That's what's wrong with you. You should be kissed and often, and by someone who knows how.

Gone with the wind.

Baby: Me? I'm scared of everything. I'm scared of what I saw, I'm scared of what I did, of who I am, and most of all I'm scared of walking out of this room and never feeling the rest of my whole life the way I feel when I'm with you.

Johnny: Now, you'll hurt me if you don't trust me, all right?

Dirty Dancing *sighs*

and another 'from inside, we all bleed red'

I don't know where its from.

TaylorMade
Aug 22, 2010, 2:21 PM
"It's like I've got a shotgun in my mouth, with my finger on the trigger, and I like the taste of the gun metal," ~ Robert Downey, Jr. to a judge on his heroin addiction , c. 1999

*Taylor*

MarieDelta
Aug 22, 2010, 3:41 PM
Here we go round the prickly pear
Prickly pear prickly pear
Here we go round the prickly pear
At five o’clock in the morning.

Between the idea
And the reality
Between the motion
And the act
Falls the Shadow

For Thine is the Kingdom

Between the conception
And the creation
Between the emotion
And the response
Falls the Shadow

Life is very long

Between the desire
And the spasm
Between the potency
And the existence
Between the essence
And the descent
Falls the Shadow

For Thine is the Kingdom

For Thine is
Life is
For Thine is the

This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but a whimper.

TS Eliot - The Hollow Men

void()
Aug 22, 2010, 3:49 PM
Allow the world to live as it chooses, and allow yourself to live as you choose.
-- Richard Bach

Ask yourself the secret of your success. Listen to your answer, and practice it.
-- Richard Bach

Avoid problems, and you'll never be the one who overcame them.
-- Richard Bach

I gave my life to become the person I am right now. Was it worth it?
-- Richard Bach

The bond that links your true family is not one of blood, but of respect and joy in each other's life.
-- Richard Bach

The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly.
-- Richard Bach

You are always free to change your mind and choose a different future, or a different past.
-- Richard Bach

You teach best what you most need to learn.
-- Richard Bach

Your friends will know you better in the first minute you meet than your acquaintances will know you in a thousand years.
-- Richard Bach

And one finally not from Bach but my mom.

"Live and let live."

MarieDelta
Aug 22, 2010, 4:01 PM
"I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by
madness, starving hysterical naked,
dragging themselves through the negro streets at dawn
looking for an angry fix,
angelheaded hipsters burning for the ancient heavenly
connection to the starry dynamo in the machin-
ery of night..."

Allen Ginsberg - Howl

darkeyes
Aug 22, 2010, 7:19 PM
Rosa Luxemburg (1871-1919) on freedom..

Those that do not move, do not notice their chains;

Freedom only for the members of the government, only for the members of the Party - though they are quite numerous - is no freedom at all;

Freedom is always and exclusively freedom for the one who thinks differently;

Freedom is always the freedom of dissenters.

wyrd_truth
Aug 22, 2010, 7:47 PM
"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people." - Eleanor Roosevelt

"Hate and force cannot be in just a part of the world without having an effect on the rest of it." - Eleanor Roosevelt

AND

"NO ONE CAN MAKE YOU FEEL INFERIOR WITHOUT YOUR CONSENT." - Eleanor Roosevelt

coyotedude
Aug 22, 2010, 8:33 PM
Text, without context, is pretext.
- Rev. Jesse Jackson (quoting other sources)

Love of one's country is a beautiful thing. But why should love stop at the border?
- Pablo Casals

'He deserves death.'
'Deserves it! I daresay he does. Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends.'
- Gandalf to Frodo, The Lord of the Rings (J.R.R. Tolkien)

Peace Is Patriotic
(Random bumper sticker)

coyotedude
Aug 22, 2010, 8:42 PM
And when this happens, when we allow freedom to ring, when we let it ring from every village and every hamlet, from every state and every city, we will be able to speed up that day when all of God's children, black men and white men, Jews and Gentiles, Protestants and Catholics, will be able to join hands and sing in the words of the old Negro spiritual:

Free at last! Free at last!

Thank God Almighty, we are free at last!

- Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

sammie19
Aug 23, 2010, 6:27 AM
Chastity: The most unnatural of the sexual perversions.

Aldous Huxley - Eyeless in Gaza

The tragedy is when you've got sex in the head instead of down where it belongs.

D.H. Lawrence

A woman occasionally is quite a serviceable substitute for masturbation.

Karl Kraus

darkeyes
Aug 23, 2010, 8:25 AM
Sam.. you are a little tart.. you have sex on the brain...

Sammie's Auntie Flan :tong:

Humdidity
Aug 23, 2010, 12:46 PM
We must believe in free will, we have no choice.
-- Isaac B. Singer

Wrenn
Aug 23, 2010, 1:12 PM
Never kick a turd on a warm day.
-----Harry S. Truman

NEPHX
Aug 23, 2010, 3:10 PM
You can try to teach a pig to sing, but neither of you are going to have any fun!!!

I have no idea who, but I say it alot.

You probably mean:

“Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.”

Robert A. Heinlein, Time Enough for Love 1973

darkeyes
Aug 23, 2010, 5:20 PM
Prophet Mohammed

Do you know what is better than charity and fasting and prayer? It is keeping peace and good relations between people, as quarrels and bad feelings destroy mankind.

cddm50
Aug 24, 2010, 1:25 AM
"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind." -Gandhi

Hephaestion
Aug 24, 2010, 5:05 AM
Never kick a turd on a warm day.
-----Harry S. Truman

Excellent advice, but I would suggest it is the fresh turd to beware as dessication makes the older dry and cohesive / powdery (beware eating ice-cream on such windy days).

darkeyes
Aug 24, 2010, 12:52 PM
What's the point of being a lesbian if a woman is going to look and act like an imitation man?

Rita Mae Brown

Some women can't say the word lesbian... even when their mouth is full of one.

Kate Clinton

When my mother found out I was gay she sent me to Juvenile
Hall. That’s smart. Sending me to live with five hundred girls
who can’t get out! :bigrin:

Kat Howard

That word lesbian sounds like a disease. And straight men know because they’re sure that they’re the cure.

Denise McCanles

Realist
Aug 24, 2010, 2:59 PM
Fran, that quote by Kat Howard, was like my parents' saying, when I was 14, "We'll send him to an all-boy's military school to get him straightened out!"

That was 2 years of learning that went far beyond their wildest dreams!

crazy_cat_lady
Aug 24, 2010, 5:30 PM
"Women were made from a man's rib, not from his head to be superior, not from his feet to be walked on, but from his side to be equal, from under the arm to be protected, And from next to the heart to be loved." - Unknown

darkeyes
Aug 25, 2010, 3:49 AM
I was driving to work this morning and for once it is a lovely morning.. and for reasons which will be obvious I think, this quote of John Ruskin's popped into my head..

There is no wealth but life.

Gay2Bi
Aug 25, 2010, 1:06 PM
"I expect to pass through life but once. If, therefore, there be any kindess I can show, or any good thing I can do to any fellow being, let me do it now, for I shall not pass this way again."

- William Penn

"We all have a little voice inside that we turn to in times of need. Unfortunately, all mine ever says is 'the toaster's been talking about us again!'"

- Me.

"You fucking toaster!
You burned my only bagel!
Winter chills my soul."

- From my experiments in haiku.

IanBorthwick
Aug 25, 2010, 8:02 PM
Do or do not. There is no try.~Yoda

darkeyes
Aug 25, 2010, 8:42 PM
There never was a good war or a bad peace.

Benjamin Franklin

I prefer the ost unfair peace to the most righteous war

Cicero

The pursuit of truth does not permit violence being inflicted on one's opponent

Mahatma Ghandi

Whenever our ethnic or national prejudices are aroused, in times of scarcity, during challenges to national self-esteem or nerve, when we agonize about our diminished cosmic place and purpose, or when fanaticism is bubbling up around us -- then, habits of thought familiar from ages past reach for the controls. The candle flame flutters. Its little pool of light trembles. Darkness gathers. The demons begin to stir.

Carl Sagan