PDA

View Full Version : Chat Problem

void()
Aug 15, 2010, 9:03 PM
Having trouble logging into chat. It keeps going to load the applet, then stops. I have icedtea java plugin, and Sun's open Jdk 6 which are the newest. Running Ubuntu Lucid Lynx, and Firefox / Icecat at version 3.6.8, latest stable versions. Seems like this problem keeps rearing its ugly head. Sure I can upgrade / downgrade all day long, doesn't matter if it's just not going to work, though.

I do what it suggests in the Ubuntu Forums to no avail. Can't exactly reload the operating system every other day, even with broadband. We've been over band-with the past three months, not good words come from a wife who hates shelling out an extra $100 a gig. Would need to download updates, needed programs if I reloaded the OS. That would incline us to be over again.

Grr, just might go to Fedora or back to Debian. Hm, maybe even Slackware or OpenBSD. Anything but Winblows. I also note Firefox tends to hang up. elian suggests that it's a memory problem, but I've run bleachbit, fslint, chkrootkit, ps aux and there's really no memory hogs running, mostly init deamons which really ought not effect anything as such.

DuckiesDarling
Aug 15, 2010, 9:39 PM
You probably already tried this but check and make sure your Firefox is allowing popups.

void()
Aug 16, 2010, 6:45 AM
Yes, already have bisexual.com set as an exception for pop ups. But thank you for the reminder. Probably for the best I'm unable to chat, really don't even when I go in, anyway. Often sit in there either ignored or made to feel really awkward from not being constantly horny, both. And sure, I understand it is a site about sex. Communication leads to that for me, not fucking you without knowing you and cyber-sex is really not the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I think that is the plutonium nitrate which can stop a horde of 'enemy' soldiers in their tracks. "Oh look, plutonium nitrate. I best use care when handling it. Don't want to drop the vile and risk exposure." You can just imagine the breaths held.

Oh well, I'll go google some more. Maybe some Luser (Linux User) will have similar trouble, with solution. Heck, might even find a good recipe for backwater eel stew and chocolate moose.

MarieDelta
Aug 16, 2010, 9:24 AM
Yes, already have bisexual.com set as an exception for pop ups. But thank you for the reminder. Probably for the best I'm unable to chat, really don't even when I go in, anyway. Often sit in there either ignored or made to feel really awkward from not being constantly horny, both. And sure, I understand it is a site about sex. Communication leads to that for me, not fucking you without knowing you and cyber-sex is really not the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I think that is the plutonium nitrate which can stop a horde of 'enemy' soldiers in their tracks. "Oh look, plutonium nitrate. I best use care when handling it. Don't want to drop the vile and risk exposure." You can just imagine the breaths held.

Oh well, I'll go google some more. Maybe some Luser (Linux User) will have similar trouble, with solution. Heck, might even find a good recipe for backwater eel stew and chocolate moose.

Well I, for one, appreciate your prescence in chat, Void. I just dont know how to help here.

If I did , I'd be posting my suggestions.

I hope you get it resolved soon.

void()
Aug 17, 2010, 12:07 AM
Got it fixed. Had to reinstall Ubuntu, 10.04 and then be sure to install the right Java plug-in. Also had to reconfigure the display settings for the monitor. Great joy. Not sure what kludged the system up but can wager it won't again.

Void points to squared corners he made for Ubuntu. "Don't think, hack."
I understand keeping people safe from the evils of Linux but when you have a bit of an idea and get wrapped in gauze, you sort of get miffed. darn UI designers. Grrr. I know how to configure xorg from the command line, you'd think spotting a memory leak in Firefox would be a hassle? Bah.