PDA

View Full Version : First Attempt at soft Crooning...

IanBorthwick
Aug 5, 2010, 4:29 PM
Cole Porter, my usual inspiration for much, had a soft sad song I love...

Every Time We Say Good Bye.http://www.singsnap.com/snap/watchandlisten/play/b69cac148

Let me know what you think?

12voltman59
Aug 5, 2010, 5:12 PM
I recently found a song of a very different type that hooked my interest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppiol9oetOk

I have known of this group for a time--but never got any of their music till recently---this song was on the compilation/anthology of their music.

I have got the lyrics down pat, but haven't even cracked open the case of my guitar in like two months--when I pick it back up again this fall--I am going to find the tab for the chords of this song and also get mouth harp--when I figure out what the key is for the harmonica they play.

I love the bittersweet nature of this version of this traditional song, with the original version apparently coming from either Ireland or Scotland.

That is a sad song for sure Ian--not exactly my style--but I think that listening to sad songs does have some really powerful "therapuetic value" and it can be a good thing to listen to them--I know that at times--I have to go and play all the songs that always seem to make me cry to work out whatever it is that I am feeling at the time and get it out via the lyrics and/or the musical notes of fave music.

Thanks for sharing--I will be interested to see what other "sad songs" people like to listen to.

Canticle
Aug 5, 2010, 5:31 PM
Ian...very nice. It's not an easy song to sing. As you will no doubt know, the songs, which look simple enough, when you read the lyrics, never are.

Volty....very pleasant. I'll have to come back and listen to a few more of the songs....

IanBorthwick
Aug 5, 2010, 5:44 PM
Volty, your song sounds like it's not going to be easy at all. Good luck and try to post your song, ok?

Hephaestion
Aug 5, 2010, 9:11 PM
Can women croon (sing in a low sentimental voice)?

e.g.
Dionne Warwick - the album "presenting Dionne Warwick"

June Tabor - Waltzing Matilda
Flowers of the Forest

Perhaps June Tabor & Maddy Prior (as the Silly Sisters)
The Grey Funnel line
The Lass of Loch Royal
The old miner

Jane Siberry & KD Lang - Calling all Angels

if Men only e.g.
Daniel Lanois - the collection of Marie Claire

Groups
Backsliders - Hey Sheriff
Broken Wings

ABBA - Knowing me Knowing You

That's right - I am a bathroom Crooner

IanBorthwick
Aug 6, 2010, 3:05 AM
Can women croon (sing in a low sentimental voice)?

e.g.
Dionne Warwick - the album "presenting Dionne Warwick"

June Tabor - Waltzing Matilda
Flowers of the Forest

Perhaps June Tabor & Maddy Prior (as the Silly Sisters)
The Grey Funnel line
The Lass of Loch Royal
The old miner

Jane Siberry & KD Lang - Calling all Angels

if Men only e.g.
Daniel Lanois - the collection of Marie Claire

Groups
Backsliders - Hey Sheriff
Broken Wings

ABBA - Knowing me Knowing You

That's right - I am a bathroom Crooner

I would imagine you can, of course. I never thought of crooning as being men only. After all, Patsy Cline crooned Crazy.

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Aug 6, 2010, 3:13 AM
Very nice sweetie. Swoon...:}
Cat