PDA

View Full Version : E-Cigs

rissababynta
Jul 19, 2010, 9:08 PM
I just started e-cigs and let me just say to the smokers out there...if this is something that you have been considering...I STRONGLY recommend this.

Just felt like sharing :bigrin:

Long Duck Dong
Jul 19, 2010, 10:07 PM
lol I gave up on giving up...... smoking is my only vice now...... lol and giving up that would hurt....

mind you the cost is insane here..... 30 ciggies is $15.50 and they want to put it up to $20 to force people to stop smoking.....

nothing wrong with that... until you work out that its 1.3 bill a year in tax that the nz smokers pay, and we keep 18,000 people in jobs...... without us, nz's in deep shit lol.....

sephirothtx
Jul 19, 2010, 10:09 PM
so is there nicotine or somthing in it, or is it just water vapor?
Because the commercials seem to make it sound like its just watervaper/smoke, and no nicotine.

Not a large smoker, but when i do its for the relaxive effect of the NICOTINE
smoking water vaper wont do this, but then again i dunno if this stuff has any nicotine in it.

I do smoke tobacco/hookah socially, which is basically a water pipe with tobacco on the top and coal on top of htat, it burns the tobacco, sends it through the water, and creates a nictotine fused water vaper and this might be what ecigs are like for all i know

rissababynta
Jul 19, 2010, 10:10 PM
lol I gave up on giving up...... smoking is my only vice now...... lol and giving up that would hurt....

mind you the cost is insane here..... 30 ciggies is $15.50 and they want to put it up to $20 to force people to stop smoking.....

nothing wrong with that... until you work out that its 1.3 bill a year in tax that the nz smokers pay, and we keep 18,000 people in jobs...... without us, nz's in deep shit lol.....

Well that's the beauty of e-cigs...you aren't really giving up. You're still getting your nicotene except it's cheaper and healthier haha.

Long Duck Dong
Jul 19, 2010, 10:31 PM
mmmm now I am interested rissa......

I have a chemical addiction to the nicotine...... its a aspect of smokers that is not that well known......

unlike a normal smoker that is addicted to the nicotine..... a chemical addiction is something that affects some smokers in that the body uses the nicotine to function normally..... a bit like insulin for a diabetic

yet, non of the anti smoking outfits will tell you that or acknowledge it cos it fucks their anti smoking stance which is once you get over the craving of the first week, you are fine.....

it was my doctor that told me that I would need nicotine for the rest of my life, as for some reason, it was counter balancing the dysthimia ( depression ) and helping me remain stable

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Jul 19, 2010, 10:45 PM
One of my sweeties does this and he swears its helping him. It has a small amount of nicotene in those tiny filters, and it gives you the feel and taste of smoking without actually smoking. You do exhale the vapor and it has a certain smell to it (to me) but if it helps a person quit, or cut down, then so be it.
Keep on keepin' on Rissa-honey, and good job!
Cat

rissababynta
Jul 19, 2010, 11:35 PM
If you'd like, you can check out zigcigs.com...that's where i go for my stuff. The owner gives lots of good info about them. He offers lots of different flavors and with different mgs of nicotine. Got lots of options. It's all pretty affordable too.

And let me just make it clear, by the way, that I am not doing this as a way to quit. I am hoping that it will EVENTUALLY help me, but for as of right now I am simply using this as a method to get my nicotine WITHOUT all the other nasty shit. I'm breathing better, I don't have that film on my tastebuds, I just feel better overall AND I'm still enjoying my addiction (yeah...i'm ashamed of myself haha) So, Cat as much as I appreciate the positive attitude, it is undeserved on me since I did not start this with the intent to use it as an aid quit lol. It isn't even considered an NRT anyway.

rissababynta
Jul 19, 2010, 11:37 PM
so is there nicotine or somthing in it, or is it just water vapor?
Because the commercials seem to make it sound like its just watervaper/smoke, and no nicotine.

Not a large smoker, but when i do its for the relaxive effect of the NICOTINE
smoking water vaper wont do this, but then again i dunno if this stuff has any nicotine in it.

I do smoke tobacco/hookah socially, which is basically a water pipe with tobacco on the top and coal on top of htat, it burns the tobacco, sends it through the water, and creates a nictotine fused water vaper and this might be what ecigs are like for all i know

Yeah, e-cigs just put the nicotine into the water vapor. There is no tobacco. You can buy e-liquid that has 0 mgs of nicotine in it so you'll just be getting the cig flavor and water vapor, but that's if you choose to go that route...

Long Duck Dong
Jul 20, 2010, 12:29 AM
What sort of quacks do you see?

I do not believe that a doctor told you that nicotine and smoking were actually good for you and something that you needed to do for the rest of your life. :rolleyes:

It would be like a doctor telling a depressed alcoholic that their daily binge drinking is fine or someone who uses heroin for depression that their use of heroin or other opiates is perfectly fine.

Do you even know how drugs work or how the human body works? Or know anything about addiction?

Nicotine is highly physically (or what you called chemically) and psychologically addictive and there are better drugs out there for depression than nicotine that are actual anti depressants that work.

If you are a smoker and try to stop you will get withdrawals both physical and psychological ones.

E-cigarettes are creepy and do not really help you quit smoking.

If you're looking to quit smoking there are better ways to do it like cold turkey.

1) quote where I said they said smoking was good for me ??? cos I didn't,

2) in nz, you can not get any meds to treat dysthimia....... you can only mask the symptoms of dysthimia, in the same way you can mask the symptoms of epilepsy but you can not cure it unless you use aspects of brain surgery
nicotine affects the brain differently to drugs and alcohol...and other meds....

3) I am a ex alcoholic and drug user.... I know all about addiction... I have battled it all my life......

4) strange how behavioral experts are finding that what we are told about nicotine addiction, is different to alcohol and drug addiction
nicotine addiction v's other drug addiction (http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/119282220/abstract?CRETRY=1&SRETRY=0)

5) if you want to tell me I am wrong, fine,.... make sure that I am wrong in the first place.....

Long Duck Dong
Jul 20, 2010, 1:19 AM
If you'd like, you can check out zigcigs.com...that's where i go for my stuff. The owner gives lots of good info about them. He offers lots of different flavors and with different mgs of nicotine. Got lots of options. It's all pretty affordable too.

And let me just make it clear, by the way, that I am not doing this as a way to quit. I am hoping that it will EVENTUALLY help me, but for as of right now I am simply using this as a method to get my nicotine WITHOUT all the other nasty shit. I'm breathing better, I don't have that film on my tastebuds, I just feel better overall AND I'm still enjoying my addiction (yeah...i'm ashamed of myself haha) So, Cat as much as I appreciate the positive attitude, it is undeserved on me since I did not start this with the intent to use it as an aid quit lol. It isn't even considered an NRT anyway.

hugs and thanks.... yeah I would love to stop smoking but without the issues I have to deal with lol.... I have to admit that I enjoy smoking tho.... just not the foul taste and smell lol

but I am interested in the e cig and I will find out if its legal in nz or allowed.... the anti smoking laws in nz, do not allow for a lot of supplements to be imported, so I can only hope

rissababynta
Jul 20, 2010, 12:05 PM
hugs and thanks.... yeah I would love to stop smoking but without the issues I have to deal with lol.... I have to admit that I enjoy smoking tho.... just not the foul taste and smell lol

but I am interested in the e cig and I will find out if its legal in nz or allowed.... the anti smoking laws in nz, do not allow for a lot of supplements to be imported, so I can only hope

I enjoy smoking too...but over the past year it was REALLY affecting me and I've felt awful. I've been using these for a few days and I can't stand smoking a regular cig anymore. I did a lot of research on e-cigs before I decided to buy it from this particular shop and I only did because every review was 100% positive. Like all of the other reviewers had said, I did have a few doubts but WOW...it works just the way it says it would.

Hope you can figure something out living in NZ and all LDD :)

welickit
Jul 20, 2010, 1:33 PM
I don't mean to burst your bubble, HOWEVER. My job puts me in a position where I am exposed to FDA reports. E cigs ARE NOT at the moment under the control of the FDA. A shipment of them was seized by U.S. Customs tested and inspected by the FDA. There was enough anti-freeze in them to kill you far quicker than a normal cigarette. To each his own. :2cents:

rissababynta
Jul 20, 2010, 3:28 PM
I don't mean to burst your bubble, HOWEVER. My job puts me in a position where I am exposed to FDA reports. E cigs ARE NOT at the moment under the control of the FDA. A shipment of them was seized by U.S. Customs tested and inspected by the FDA. There was enough anti-freeze in them to kill you far quicker than a normal cigarette. To each his own. :2cents:

Actually, I never claimed that they were under control by FDA and less than one percent of anti-freeze was found in one filter. Every normal cigarette has more than that. Also, most reputable dealers tell you to not purchase anything overseas because they don't even tell you what ingredients are in their e-liquid let alone provide child proof caps or anything of the sort.

So surprised to see your pop your negative little head in to say hello by the way (sarcasm...it's a beautiful thing).

AND WHY THE FUCK DOES MY IGNORE LIST NEVER WORK GRRRR.

With bubble fully intact, I bid you good day :)

rissababynta
Jul 20, 2010, 3:45 PM
By the way, when researching the "controversy" over the antifreeze thing, I might add that I found out a LOT of information with degrees of chemicals of e-cigs in comparison to regular ones and I also found a few forums of people complaining about how they are tired of hearing it because it has been blown way out of proportion. This is something that struck with me that someone on a forum did just to prove his point about how people blow up about a chemical or something that sounds like a chemical without even knowing how it effects us in our everyday lives anyway.

"Beware the dangers of Dihydrogen Monoxide! Facts About Dihydrogen Monoxide. I got 50 signatures to petition the banning of unregulated dumping and exposure to DHMO in the span of and hour at a local grocery store using info similar to what you can find on the link above. Horrified that they had never heard of this dangerous chemical that could be killing their children, pets, and even themselves, many shoppers, some even well educated (Lawyers, Inventment bankers, Accountants...) were all too eager to sign.

Little did they know that Dihydrogen Monoxide is H2O....plain, everyday, WATER!"

The main ingredient in american made and distributed e-liquid is an ingredient that is recognized as safe for being used in food (commonly known to be used, for instance, in snow cones) AND one of it's uses is a less toxic antifreeze.

OH MY GOD...I'm soooo terrified of snow cones now.

Realist
Jul 20, 2010, 7:23 PM
I quit smoking in '71, after smoking since I was 13, in '53. Hardest thing I ever did in my life! (I think Cigarettes were about 45 cents a pack, then)

Some folks can quit cold turkey, like I did, others need help. Whatever works. I'd never harass anyone to quit, if they didn't want to, but it really made a positive difference in my life.

It's rough, any way you look at it...........best of luck to you, if you really want to quit.

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Jul 20, 2010, 8:52 PM
I do not use e-cigs but I know people who may try them to quit cigs which is a pussy way to quit since if they really wanted to quit they'd just go cold turkey as that's how you do it.

Well, to each his or her own, right? And not everyone has the iron will that You must possess. Going cold turkey isnt For everyone, no matter what kind of addiction, so its best if those quiting something addicting should consult their doctor before doing something like that. :}
Cat

Dead Account
Jul 20, 2010, 10:27 PM
I use e-cigarettes and have for a few months now, I love em. Cheap, clean and any flavor I want. I use the Joyestick V3. Well worth every penny spent. Not very sophisticated looking, but for 30.00 a month, who cares?

Kiowa_Pacer
Jul 21, 2010, 1:35 AM
Greetings;

Three of my co-workers use these, and it Has made a large difference in them. One had Asthma for many years, and using this method seems to be working out quite well for her. Her breathing and stamina has improved drastically, and she says her sleep pattern has improved immensely as well.
If a person can be happy with this then more power to them for it. I quit when I got back to the states and it wasnt easy, but I did it. I applaud anyone who does and continues to be smoke-free.
Bravo, Rissa.

Ki

Dead Account
Jul 21, 2010, 5:43 AM
Thats one of the nicest things about it- you get your sense of taste and smell back and youre not putting tar and all those chemicals into your system other than the nicotine. I enjoy it a lot.

sammie19
Jul 21, 2010, 10:40 AM
Thats one of the nicest things about it- you get your sense of taste and smell back and youre not putting tar and all those chemicals into your system other than the nicotine. I enjoy it a lot.

I have never smoked, but my father was a heavy smoker when I was little. This is what he said and although he says the temptation never quite disappears, the fact that he enjoys his food and the smells around him so much more than ever he did as a smoker ensures the temptation is easily overcome. Besides that, his fitness and stamina are now so much better, he no longer gets out of puff as easily as he once did as a much younger man.

I watched as my father went through what people are referring to as cold turkey. He just wasn't my daddy, and life was miserable for all of us at home. It didn't last long as I recall, but for a week or two he was irritable, moody and bad tempered. I don't recommend it after watching my dad go through it, but in those days I don't think there was much help for smokers trying to give up. There were no patches or chewie, and certainly no e-cigs (I didn't know that was their name). It must be so much easier now, but I doubt it will ever be that easy. Good luck to all who try to give up by whatever means, and congrats to those who succeed.

To those who fail, my commiserations. Keep trying but if you fail it is no shame. We who have never smoked should have a special understanding for those addicted to smoking tobacco. It is a drug, and it is legal and for centuries was encouraged by society. It was the thing to do to look suave and sophisticated. It no longer is thank goodness, but we shouldn't look down on those who smoke, as many do, but encourage them to persevere and hopefully manage to kick the habit. But always without tutting as many people seem to do.

Smoking is an unpleasant habit, and habit is the point. It is an addiction, often caused by chemicals that manufacturers put in their products to allow the addiction to take hold more quickly, and so not everyone will manage to kick it. We should sympathise with tobacco addicts, not turn up our noses at them and certainly not, as many seem to do these days, ostracise them.

Doggiestyle
Jul 21, 2010, 7:34 PM
Coming from someone that smoked them cursed things for almost 25 years! I would like to encourage anyone and everyone to quit!!! I finally stopped smoking after trying to quit many times. I gotta admit that it is not only a habit, something that you have a habit of doing with your fingers, but a terrible addiction, like a drug. These two factors amount to something that becomes very hard to get rid of.

I managed to stop in March of 93 and haven't smoked any since. I did mine "cold turkey", I can and do also sympathize with anyone that is caught up in that "dirty little habit". And with the laws and taxes on tobacco now-days, it is terribly expensive. Face it, you could be driving around in a new car for the price that you are paying for them cigs. And with the laws that are coming out, it's becoming illegal to smoke almost anywhere.

Also, in my opinion, chew tobacco, snuff, skoall, or the "smoke-less" forms of tobacco is just plain ole nasty!!! :eek2:

Now that I have been away from smoking for a while, I must admit that it is nice to be able to smell the Honey-Suckle, Sycamore tree blooms, ETC. My sense of smell is really great now. The smell of food, something that I could not do very well back when I was smoking, is now very much alive and doing great..... And yes, I can even enjoy a good ole fashion fart now-days. Something that previously could not do! :yikes2:

So, this is it Rissa and anyone else that wants to quit. I do not wish to condemn you, but encourage you to quit them damm things. I can assure you that after you have, and when you get back to being able to breathe again. You will be so glad that you did, and that the battle was well worth it and you will wish you had done it earlier.

Now how about some of the 420 stuff??? :stoned:

An very EX-SMOKER,,,,,,,,,, Your friend, :doggie:

kcatthegreat
Jul 21, 2010, 8:45 PM
My boss quit using e-cigs. I guess they work really well for some people.

rissababynta
Jul 21, 2010, 9:12 PM
Coming from someone that smoked them cursed things for almost 25 years! I would like to encourage anyone and everyone to quit!!! I finally stopped smoking after trying to quit many times. I gotta admit that it is not only a habit, something that you have a habit of doing with your fingers, but a terrible addiction, like a drug. These two factors amount to something that becomes very hard to get rid of.

I managed to stop in March of 93 and haven't smoked any since. I did mine "cold turkey", I can and do also sympathize with anyone that is caught up in that "dirty little habit". And with the laws and taxes on tobacco now-days, it is terribly expensive. Face it, you could be driving around in a new car for the price that you are paying for them cigs. And with the laws that are coming out, it's becoming illegal to smoke almost anywhere.

Also, in my opinion, chew tobacco, snuff, skoall, or the "smoke-less" forms of tobacco is just plain ole nasty!!! :eek2:

Now that I have been away from smoking for a while, I must admit that it is nice to be able to smell the Honey-Suckle, Sycamore tree blooms, ETC. My sense of smell is really great now. The smell of food, something that I could not do very well back when I was smoking, is now very much alive and doing great..... And yes, I can even enjoy a good ole fashion fart now-days. Something that previously could not do! :yikes2:

So, this is it Rissa and anyone else that wants to quit. I do not wish to condemn you, but encourage you to quit them damm things. I can assure you that after you have, and when you get back to being able to breathe again. You will be so glad that you did, and that the battle was well worth it and you will wish you had done it earlier.

Now how about some of the 420 stuff??? :stoned:

An very EX-SMOKER,,,,,,,,,, Your friend, :doggie:

Ya know...I don't know how I can say the same stuff enough...so I'm not gonna bother...Thanks though

welickit
Jul 22, 2010, 1:50 PM
It ain't over till the fat lady sings, she is singing about always being right.....as usual. Only her opinion has worth in her little world. I hope her ignore button works this time.

Doggiestyle
Jul 22, 2010, 2:38 PM
Me back again and wanting to say again that I really do wish you luck at your stopping smoking endeavors, Rissa! Yesterdays comment was done on the fly, I was at computer and eating dinner, just before going to work. Just shovel a mouth-full in and then peck out a few words while chewing, then repeat!!! Ahhhhhh yes, living life in a "multi-task mode". That seems to be the way it's done in this world now-days, HUH? :tong: Between work, overtime and my new Harley Davidson, I seem to be having a hard time finding the time to squeeze in the computer!!! :cool:

Anyway I did want to say that (as previously stated) I quit many times, for years really, before I did indeed stop smoking tobacco. One thing that helped me stop was when I finally realized that I was hooked on them things and that like it or not, I was also possessed by them. I mean they weren't attached to me, rather I was attached to them. Coming to this conclusion did more to help me stop, I guess more than anything. In other words I finally decided that I wasn't going to be hooked to, or possessed by something like tobacco. No monkey on my back!!! HELL NO!!! This realization was what I feel like was what I needed to get me to finally stop. :eek:

One morning, when I woke up, coughing and hacking, I lit up a cigarette, coughed and hacked some more, took another puff, coughed some more. Then got really pissed of at cigarettes, then me for putting up with them, Cursed very loudly while shredding the pack of cigarettes with my hands and saying "this has gotta go"!!! :mad: _____ Haven't smoked another since!!! I know plenty of folks, and co-workers that do smoke and I still get some "second hand smoke" but as far as me lighting another one up??? HELL NO!!!

I know that it's not a very nice thing to do to point fingers at other folks that are still smoking, or to condemn them for it. And yes, you do have as much right to smoke as others have a right not to smoke! And yes, I do think that the government has gone too far in attempting to out-law them. And it is not my right for me (or anyone else) to "hit ya" with all the negative sides of smoking. Or my so called "rights" concerning second hand smoke, or drifting first hand smoke, and how your just killing me and you with it!!!
But I would like to put my arm around you and say that "yes you can quit, and that you do need to quit, so please just quit, you can do it"! And you will be so happy when you do get over them.

One thing that really puzzles me is someone that was a smoker, then quit, then 6 months, 5 years, or whatever length of time??? Started back! This one I really don't understand. I have known and seen this happen to others before and it serves me a reminder that even I could be a "victim" to this. And that I must always be on guard for this. They always say that it was usually because of some stressful, life changing event. I don't know if that was what that did it, or whatever??? It is something that we need to remember and not let ourselves become caught up with it. Kinda goes with the recovering addict thing, never being fully recovered, HUH?

So Rissa, and anyone else, I do wish you all the luck and support with this. And when the urge to light up hits you, find something else to do. At least that will help with the physical habit with your fingers anyway.

Now smoking pot is something that is just as addictive as tobacco. I know of a few folks that have a smoking habit, but not with tobacco. But at least they do get something out of it, which is getting what I call a "severe buzz", which is more than you get out of tobacco. As for me??? I quit smoking pot before I quit tobacco. To me it was easier to quit pot than tobacco. They must put something in tobacco to make it more addictive. Which should make you ask "what else do they put in tobacco"???

Well now, let me get off my :soapbox: Quit bugging ya cause it's time for me to go for a ride on my motor-psycho ;) Your friend, :doggie:

Question? If I remember my history right. It was the American Indians that introduced the Early American Settelers to tobacco, and in exchange it was the Early American Settelers that introduced the American Indians to alcohol. Is that true?

DuckiesDarling
Jul 22, 2010, 2:51 PM
The E-Cigs do look intriguing from a cost savings standpoint. I'm one of the ones that will quit when I want to quit, right now smoking is pretty much my only vice.

My father on the other hand needs to quit desperately, he actually had a doctor tell him to stop or he'd be dead by 65. Then had him do this test with blowing on a napkin. Dad has smoked Pall Mall full flavor non filters since he was 13 years old, he blew the napkin out straight. Doc said most people don't even make it flicker. So he wants to quit but none of the nagging of my mother, a non smoker, is helping him. I'm doing my part by not smoking around him or asking him to run me to get cigs. But I pretty much figure that it wouldn't matter if he quit tomorrow, mom has been married to him for 40 years so if she is gonna get anything from second hand smoke the damage is done. He tries to go outside to smoke and never smokes in a closed up car. He is probably one of the most respectful smokers I have ever seen.

So I have passed the website along to him and it's his choice whether to try that or continue to do the "two cig less a day" thing the doctor recommended though honestly I do not see him quitting any time soon.