PDA

View Full Version : Dont ask, dont tell.....

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Jul 9, 2010, 1:07 AM
Gay rights group warns soldiers not to cooperate with Pentagon Don't Ask, Don't Tell study. :rolleyes:

Gays in the military who participate in a new survey about repealing "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" could be discharged for outing themselves, a legal advocacy group has warned. The Pentagon denies that survey respondents would run any such risk.

The survey, which Pentagon researchers are planning to send to 200,000 active duty and 200,000 reserve servicemen and women via email, asks soldiers if and how letting gays serve openly in the military will affect morale, according to CNN, which obtained a leaked version of the document.

The survey contains more than 100 questions. Among the queries it poses:

-Would a repeal of "Don't ask, don't tell" prompt a soldier to reconsider serving in the military?

-Would serving under an openly gay commander adversely affect morale?

-How would troops feel about sharing a bathroom or open-air shower with an openly gay comrade in a war zone?

In a statement, the Servicemembers Legal Defense Network, an advocacy group dedicated to repealing the Don't Ask, Don't Tell ban, recommends that gay and lesbian service members refrain from offering replies.

"While the surveys are apparently designed to protect the individual’s privacy, there is no guarantee of privacy and [The Department of Defense] has not agreed to provide immunity to service members whose privacy may be inadvertently violated or who inadvertently outs himself or herself," the group's executive director Aubrey Sarvis says. "If a service member still wishes to participate, he or she should only do so in a manner that does not reveal sexual orientation.”

But the Pentagon told the Associated Press that identifying data will be stripped from the surveys by a third party, and that the survey doesn't ask the respondent to reveal his or her sexual orientation. "They cannot be outed," Cynthia Smith, a Pentagon spokeswoman told the AP.

In May, the House of Representatives voted to end Don't Ask, Don't Tell pending the military's completion of its internal policy review of the ban. If the Senate approves the measure this summer, the ban may be retired as early as next year, according to The Washington Post.

citystyleguy
Jul 9, 2010, 1:22 AM
...for the soldier, sailor, airman, marine, i wish them all the peace of mind in order to serve their country, without the horror of wondering who is second-guessing them in regards to a wholly irrelevant aspect of personal character. as to the political aspect, i wouldn't hold my breath, unless one has a bizzare death wish! also, queries like these are designed for one thing only, to find out more about the unsuspecting interviewee; my advice would be if at all possible not to complete the damn questionaire, or at least if it pops up in the mail, lose it as fast possible!

Long Duck Dong
Jul 9, 2010, 2:21 AM
they either want change or they don't

the defence dept wants to judge military personnel reaction, so they need feedback from the military personnel...... and now the military personnel are being told not to give feedback.......

sighs.... its not wonder its taking so bloody long to get anything done in the us.... the very groups that want change, are fighting attempts to bring change about

grayhound
Jul 9, 2010, 12:41 PM
IMHO It is not beyound the military to make inacurate statements to get the information they want. It is also a fact they turn things around once they get that info. THEY ARE, IN FACT, PART OF OUR GOVERNMENT. Which is only out for the politicians, not the citizens.

darkeyes
Jul 9, 2010, 12:45 PM
Cop out.. thats all it is.. all they need to do is look at how it works in other western countries (which they almost certainly have) and do it.. bloody headless chickens...

TaylorMade
Jul 9, 2010, 1:08 PM
they either want change or they don't

the defence dept wants to judge military personnel reaction, so they need feedback from the military personnel...... and now the military personnel are being told not to give feedback.......

sighs.... its not wonder its taking so bloody long to get anything done in the us.... the very groups that want change, are fighting attempts to bring change about

Welcome to the US military. It can be confusing and double backing, but it wouldn't be the same way w/o it. . .hell, that could be said about ANY military. I bet even Rome had some sort of problem with integrating the Huns/Visigoths into their fighting forces.

anywho - -

What gets me is that it is well within the POTUS power (as CInC) to sign an EO (Excecutive Order) to lift DADT, or at least put it on hold.

There is precedent as well - - Truman did so to desegregate the armed forces, which was a larger and much more difficult task.

Lifting DADT is different. Positive difference? The personnel is ALREADY THERE among the general military population. No need for transfers, re-assignments, people moving, theatre overhauls, ensuing fusterclucks and additional BS. Negative difference? Having to modify the UCMJ, which could be easy as deleting a few sections, or re-writing whole chunks.

*Taylor*

Kiowa_Pacer
Jul 9, 2010, 4:01 PM
LOL Our so called Military leaders would be totally shocked and horrified to know How Many Gays there really are in our Armed Forces. Not everybody is out, and not everybody is noticable. This is so ludicrous. It doesn't matter what your sexual orientation is if you are in combat and need someone to be at your back, or beside you! They are fighting for the same damn thing; To stay alive and do their jobs. Doesn't matter if they are on the front lines, or flying a desk.

I've had and got, friends that were totally Gay in the military and no one but close friends ever knew. They did their jobs, and some died serving their country and not Once did their gayness ever matter to those of us that served with them.

Sorry, but things like this really gets to me.

Shutting up now.
Ki

stormalong
Jul 9, 2010, 10:08 PM
As a military retiree (USN) I can tell you that Gays, Lesbians, and Bis for the first year or three will never be found guilty of anything. I was almost thrown out for racial discrimination once. Then my wife, who was black, (i'm white) went to my court martial with me. Everyone knows who the gays and lesbians are my ships all had a "D" (for dyke) division. It's just making it official that is gonna change. One guy was caught (with pics!!) giving head to another guy in 97. I was invited to his commisioning in March of 2010. 5 years after I had retired. I went, too. He gave ME head a few years back. EVERYONE knew he was gay.He will retire in 2013 with 20 unless he decides to stay in longer. Everyone knew I was bicurious since I was an E-1. I did 28 years before retiring. The woman who piped me ashore was a lesbian who had been living with another woman for over 10 years. This whole thing is much ado about nothing.

TaylorMade
Jul 9, 2010, 10:53 PM
As a military retiree (USN) I can tell you that Gays, Lesbians, and Bis for the first year or three will never be found guilty of anything. I was almost thrown out for racial discrimination once. Then my wife, who was black, (i'm white) went to my court martial with me. Everyone knows who the gays and lesbians are my ships all had a "D" (for dyke) division. It's just making it official that is gonna change. One guy was caught (with pics!!) giving head to another guy in 97. I was invited to his commisioning in March of 2010. 5 years after I had retired. I went, too. He gave ME head a few years back. EVERYONE knew he was gay.He will retire in 2013 with 20 unless he decides to stay in longer. Everyone knew I was bicurious since I was an E-1. I did 28 years before retiring. The woman who piped me ashore was a lesbian who had been living with another woman for over 10 years. This whole thing is much ado about nothing.

Not everyone hides as easily as you did. And sometimes when someone is caught up in a witch hunt, they will give someone else up, which is what happened to a friend of mine.

For every set of guys like you and your friends, there are some that simply didn't slip under the radar.

*Taylor*