PDA

View Full Version : Happy 4th To All

SJ37AndSteph
Jul 2, 2010, 4:58 PM
Hope all my friends on this site have a Happy 4th with a great weekend.. be safe and enjoy ..

Hugs To All

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Jul 2, 2010, 5:00 PM
Huggggsss to ya Babygirl. Hope all of ya have a fantastic time in no matter what ya do. Have fun, be safe, and throw in a bit of naughtiness if ya can. ;)
Cat

SJ37AndSteph
Jul 2, 2010, 5:04 PM
Cat Honey,
Always naughtiness thats the best aprt can never leave that out hugs to u Cat and big smoochies!!! u have a safe 4th

DuckiesDarling
Jul 2, 2010, 9:12 PM
Same to you, Twin. I got to see my nephew today for the first time in almost a year. He's grown so much. Just in for the weekend but he might be back for Christmas.

I hope every one celebrates a safe Fourth but also says a thanks to the soldiers on that day. Freedom is never free.

darkeyes
Jul 3, 2010, 5:09 AM
Once in the dim and distant past Fran used to make a few quid folk singing in pubs and clubs.. I believe in the freedom of all peoples and I know where my sympathies would have lain in those far distant and oft dark days when the Americans fought for their freedom against mine own. As a wee dedication to America and its people, and to all those around the world who believe in liberty from oppression, this song which I normally sang in its original version.. but since tomorrow is Independence Day here I print a variation written by Woody Guthrie dedicated to the Abraham Lincoln Battalion of the International Brigade who selflessly sacrificed over 100 of their number in one battle in defence of a people who were not their own..

Jarama Valley

There’s a valley in Spain called Jarama
It’s a place that we all know so well
It was there that we fought against the Fascists
We saw a peacful valley turn to hell

From this valley they say we are going
But don’t hasten to bid us adieu
Even though we lost the battle at Jarama
We’ll set this valley free 'fore we’re through

We were men of the Lincoln Battalion
We’re proud of the fight that we made
We know that you people of the valley
Will remember our Lincoln Brigade

But don’t hasten to bid us adieu

You will never find peace with these Fascists
You’ll never find friends such as we
So remember that valley of Jarama
And the people that’ll set that valley free

Don’t hasten to bid us adieu

All this world is like this valley called Jarama
So green and so bright and so fair
No fascists can dwell in our valley
Nor breathe in our new freedom’s air

Do not hasten to bid us adieu

Tune:Red River Blues

lovescum2
Jul 3, 2010, 5:39 AM
Everyone have a good 4th of July and be safe with the fire works :)

Doggie_Wood
Jul 3, 2010, 3:05 PM
Happy 4th of July weekend festivities to all.
And lest we forget the true meaning of this celebration.
Enjoy your burgers, dogs and brats - and hoist a few!

Doggie :doggie:

ALMOE
Jul 3, 2010, 9:58 PM
This is just a thought but I wonder if England has a 4th of July? LOL:bigrin:

DuckiesDarling
Jul 3, 2010, 10:01 PM
Every country that uses a calendar has a July 4th :tong:

Canticle
Jul 4, 2010, 2:39 AM
This is just a thought but I wonder if England has a 4th of July? LOL:bigrin:

The United Kingdom (since 1707), does indeed have a 4th of July, but unlike the States, celebrating the rebellion and fight for freedom, by the original 13 colonies, it's just another day here. Just another Sunday.

May you all have a very happy fourth of July and each one of you celebrate it, in the best of ways.

Fran.....thank you for the words to the song.

coyotedude
Jul 4, 2010, 2:49 AM
For the last 5 years, the Fourth of July has had a special meaning for me. That was the day we adopted my son.

I still remember that day clearly; he was such a scared little boy, with no clue about what was happening to him. Today he's my big guy, my buddy, my very good friend.

So while everyone else is enjoying BBQ and fireworks and parades, my family and I will be camping in the mountains at my son's request, celebrating the wonderful blessings of loving family.

(Please eat a burger for me, though... LOL)

Peace

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Jul 4, 2010, 3:56 AM
And what a handsome, special, lil guy he is too, Yotie. Just like him Daddy..;)
Cat

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Jul 4, 2010, 4:01 AM
Well, since my date stood me up(stating that he didnt want to leave his Great Danes all alone for the evening) I am going to consume one the T-Bones that I purchased for us, the white corn on the cob, Cous-Cous with veggies from my garden and salad. And whilst watching the fireworks from my front porch, I'll have some of the cherry cobbler that I made for dessert. Had he been man enough to show up, little did he know that He was going to be dessert..LMAO:bigrin:;)
Have a fantastic time, Loves. :}
Yer Cat

MrBisex
Jul 4, 2010, 11:23 AM
To all have a great 4th of July. With the hope of a bright future for all to come. :)

tenni
Jul 4, 2010, 11:44 AM
I like this thread so much better than the other July 4th thread.
Much peace and happiness to all of our brothers and sisters to the south of us.

just4mefc
Jul 4, 2010, 12:33 PM
Happy Birthday USA, now go out and spank a yank on this fine day :eek: perhaps spank one of each gender :bibounce:

BI BOYTOY
Jul 4, 2010, 12:45 PM
:bigrin:Happy birthday USA, woh how wooooow:bigrin::bibounce::):tong:;):male::2cents:: rolleyes::flag2::female::tongue::bibounce::cool::r olleyes::eek:their got them all coverd shawn

darkeyes
Jul 4, 2010, 1:03 PM
The United Kingdom (since 1707), does indeed have a 4th of July, but unlike the States, celebrating the rebellion and fight for freedom, by the original 13 colonies, it's just another day here. Just another Sunday.

May you all have a very happy fourth of July and each one of you celebrate it, in the best of ways.

Fran.....thank you for the words to the song.

The following is believed to be the 'riginal lyrics Canticle..and I make no apology for printing it here.. for the British battalion fought alongside the Lincoln Battalion at Jarama in the name of the liberty of Spain.. written by a Scot who died in the war.. I am sure our 'merican friends have no objection to those who died alongside their own in the name of freedom being commemorated on this day.. liberty is a human aspiration and a human right not merely an American thing.. the 4th July is a date which all should remember as a date when a great tyranny was overthrown in one small part of the world.. and Jarama should be remembered as a time when the descendants of tyrant and revolutionary of that war voluntarily fought together on principle and for freedom often in the face of opposition from their own governments.

Pacifist I may be, but I respect and remember those who died for their beliefs in a war in a land against which both the US and the United Kingdom had historically been enemies.

Jarama Valley (original version) - Alex McDade

There’s a valley in Spain called Jarama,
That's a place that we all know so well,
for 'tis there that we wasted our manhood,
And most of our old age as well.

From this valley they tell us we're leaving
But don't hasten to bid us adieu
For e'en though we make our departure
We'll be back in an hour or two

Oh, we're proud of our British Battalion,
And the marathon record it's made,
Please do us this one little favour
And take this last word to Brigade:

"You will never be happy with strangers,
They would not understand you as we,
So remember the Jarama Valley
And the old men who wait patiently".

There is another version which old comrades I believe used at reunions and which I learned from my Grandfather and it is the one most often sung at gatherings of left wing activists in this country. Again I make no apology for printing it for it echoes the sentiments of the original and remains a great anthem to the freedom of man and of his sacrifice in its name.. arguably in my view even more powerfully ..

There’s a Valley in Spain called Jarama,
It’s a place that we all know so well,
It is there that we gave of our manhood,
And so many of our brave comrades fell.

We are proud of the British Battalion,[6]
And the stand for Madrid that they made,
For they fought like true sons of the soil.
As part of the Fifteenth Brigade.

With the rest of the international column,
In the stand for the freedom of Spain
We swore in the valley of Jarama
That fascism never will reign.

Now we’ve left that dark valley of sorrow
And its memories of regret,
So before we continue this reunion
Let us stand to our glorious dead.