PDA

View Full Version : Our VERY eventful trip to Texas!

still_shy
Jun 23, 2010, 9:37 PM
Well folks, we made the move from Indiana to Texas finally! We started out on Thursday and blew a radiator right outside Memphis, Tennessee. Thank god my hubby is a mechanic, he changed the radiator at a truckstop after a few hours of searching for the part. Caught in storms after we resumed our journey and all of our stuff in the back of the trucks got drenched.
On Friday, we started out again and made it to Texas, only to discover that my daughter had head lice. Saturday we got up and prepared to look at houses. I called this couple who said they had a three bedroom 2 bath home on the top of a hill, recently remodeled, close to where we were hoping to move....OMG I swear to you, they were the people from Deliverance. The house was not on a hill, it was at the very top of a mountain and we ended up getting our truck and trailer COMPLETELY stuck almost at the top. We were in two trucks so we decided to take my truck up to the top of the mountain to see the house. As we reach the top, the road turns to rocks the size of soccer balls and the "house" was a trailer with so much garbage piled around it, you could smell it from the truck...The people were way creepy and the trailer was one bedroom and one bathroom in just awful shape, no air conditioning or heat. We got the hell out of there as quick as we could and went down to try to get the truck unstuck. Hubby managed to drive backwards down the hill into a forest and somehow free the truck (thank god)

Still Saturday....So...we go to look at another house that is out in the hill country. I've been corresponding for a few weeks with the family who own the house and was really hoping it would turn out to be nice, especially since everything we own is in the trucks and trailer with us. We get to the little town where it is, buy a map and ask for directions. No one has ever heard of the road it's on and it's not on the map. So we drive around for four hours trying to find it, the guy who has the house isn't answering his phone. Just as we give up and drive the forty minutes to a town with a hotel...guess who calls? The guy who has the house (go figure). We turn around and get to the house, it looks awesome, exactly what we're looking for but the house has no electricity and won't have any on until Monday. We park the truck with the trailer and spend another night in a hotel. On Sunday morning, we wake up and drive to the house so we can start unloading the trailer. Apparently there was a wasp nest right by the back door and both my hubby and I got stung on the back...so guess what???? WE ARE BOTH ALLERGIC. Had to go to the hospital and get shots and pills before we went into shock...by the time we got there, my throat was tight and my back swelled up like I had a softball in my shirt. Scary!!!

Now on to Monday...We decided to stay Sunday night in the house even though we had no electricity, no big deal. Wake up Monday morning, pick up an internet signal and check our bank account. Somehow we screwed it up and we were $70 short of the rent/deposit check (seriously) when we should have had plenty of money in the bank. We have no food, are in a strange place with no money and no place to live if the rent check bounces....We contacted my mother in law, god love her, she rushed to the bank and put $150 in our account to cover the check and give us some extra cash for food. Then yesterday our church from back home put another $150 in our account to help us get through until my husband gets his first paycheck.

The last two days have been uneventful thank god. Hubby started his new job today and LOVED it :) We are settling into our new house, unpacking and enjoying the absolutely beautiful hill country of Texas.

I know this was long, but I just had to share the story of our trip west. Not a single second of the trip was calm, what an adventure!!

DuckiesDarling
Jun 23, 2010, 9:46 PM
Hugs ya, Still_Shy, wow you have a had a time hon. Glad you are settled in and things appear to be going well now.

_Joe_
Jun 23, 2010, 9:59 PM
Hill Country? Outside Austin/San Antonio area?

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Jun 23, 2010, 10:52 PM
Where in the world you at, Girlfriend?? Call up Tex and tell him ta bring ya'll some good BBQ!!!!! :bigrin:
I'm sorry your adventure was Such an adventure, but that God and the Spirits you got there safely, and everything turned out ok.
Big big hugs to all of you. And welcome home Here, and There..:}
Cat

onewhocares
Jun 23, 2010, 10:59 PM
Wishing you all the best in your new home. I am sure that you will laugh at all of this in a short while.

Belle

Canticle
Jun 24, 2010, 3:40 AM
Well, if nothing else, it's been an experience, for you all. Give it a few weeks an you'll look back and laugh at it all.

I echo Belle.......Good Luck and may everything go well for you.

still_shy
Jun 24, 2010, 7:48 AM
Hill Country? Outside Austin/San Antonio area?

We are about 10 minutes from Boerne and 20 minutes or so from San Antonio. Found a house out in the country (which seems to be common here LOL).

I forgot to say that I made the trip with a 9 year old and two very nervous cats!

grayhound
Jun 24, 2010, 8:42 AM
I wish you all the best. Welcome to Texas

onewhocares
Jun 24, 2010, 9:05 AM
Wishing you all the best in your new home. I am sure that you will laugh at all of this in a short while.

Belle

I forgot to add that you are in the land of some great folks from this site in the state of Texas.....great compay! Hope you get a chance to meet a couple of them.

Belle

_Joe_
Jun 24, 2010, 11:01 AM
You are in a pretty nice area.

It may be too late but the Fredicksburg Peaches were awesome this year.

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Jun 24, 2010, 1:09 PM
Oh cool! I know where you're at now. I have friends and adopted family in San Antone. :} Hope you come to love the new place, Sweetie. :}
Cat

_Joe_
Jun 24, 2010, 1:43 PM
Two very SouthernTexes-esque things near you.

TejasRodeo.com - real rodeos, not advertisement laden drivel. Awesome BBQ.

http://www.macandernies.com/ a bit of a drive through the hill country to this wtfishtisdoinghere eatery that excels in goat burgers with wine. Ya. I know what you're thinking. Its awesome.

Out of the way, but great outdoor live music and semi-decent BBQ but better seafood fry on Fridays. http://www.texaspridebbq.net/

csreef
Jun 24, 2010, 1:47 PM
Good luck in your new home...You'll look back on this one day & say yes that was an adventure...Then you'll have some interesting stories to tell ;)

texasman6172003
Jun 24, 2010, 3:44 PM
Hi Shy, I am very glad y'all made it down here. You can now officially call your self Texans. Have a Aunt from the Wife's side that lives down there also. They love it there. Oh one more thing,WELCOME TOO TEXAS!!!!!! YEEEEHAWWWW!!!:tong:

kitten
Jun 25, 2010, 12:54 AM
Welcome home!

Glad you are getting settled so quickly!

hugs,
Kitten

mariersa
Jun 25, 2010, 1:00 AM
I'm so Happy you didn't end up in that Houston shyt!!!! Hill country is beeeeyouuuteefull!!! Wishing All The Best For You And The Herd!!! ME

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Jun 25, 2010, 1:02 AM
lol I was teasing one of your neighbors(a few hours away) about too bad ya'll couldnt get together before the summer is over and have a nice cook out. :}
Wouldnt That be cool.....;)
Cat

still_shy
Jun 25, 2010, 11:45 AM
That would be awesome Cat!! It feels strange living in a place where I know absolutely no one!! Once we get settled in, I'm going to work at making some new friends!