PDA

View Full Version : All shook up..(uh huh huh)

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Jun 23, 2010, 4:16 PM
I hope all of our Candanian counterparts are ok, and those in the other affected areas as well.....:}
Cat

Earthquake reported in Canada. A strong earthquake shook Ottawa and Montreal in eastern Canada.

TORONTO – A magnitude-5.0 earthquake struck at the Ontario-Quebec border region of Canada on Wednesday, the U.S. Geological Survey said, shaking homes and businesses from Canada's capital in Ottawa on south to the U.S. state of West Virginia.

There were no immediate reports of injuries or damage.

The midday quake was felt in Canada and in a number of U.S. states, including Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Vermont, New Hampshire, New Jersey and New York.

The USGS said the quake occurred at a depth of about 12 miles (19.2 kilometers). The agency initially said the quake had a 5.5 magnitude, but later reduced it to a magnitude-5.0. The quake occurred at 1:41 p.m. EDT (1741 GMT), the USGS said.

The quake came just ahead of the weekend summit of G-20 and G-8 world leaders in Toronto and Huntsville, Ontario.

The tremors, which lasted about 30 seconds, rattled buildings in Ottawa and Toronto, as well as government offices across the Ottawa River in Gatineau, Quebec.

Several buildings in Toronto and the Ottawa region were evacuated.

Chris Cornell, 46, who works in downtown Toronto, said desks and furniture shook as he sat at his desk in a finance office.

Shirley Pelletier, 27, said a prolonged tremor shook bookshelves and caused paintings on walls to shake in her office just outside downtown Toronto.

Residents of a number of states in the Midwest and Northeast reported feeling the earthquake.

In Ohio, people reported the sound of plaster cracking in Cleveland and buildings in Cincinnati gently swaying.

In Cleveland, James Haselden says his office in a renovated 19th century brick building swayed and he heard plastic cracking but saw no damage.

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported on its website that the Canadian quake was felt by some residents in the western Pennsylvania area.

The quake also was felt in New Jersey, where the Bergen County administration building in Hackensack was evacuated after employees reported they felt a tremor.

Bergen County Police Lt. Christine Francois said numerous people in the Hackensack and Englewood areas called police to report earth tremors.

In Michigan, residents from suburban Detroit to Port Huron and Saginaw reported feeling the earthquake.

Detroit police spokeswoman Yvette Walker told The Associated Press that police personnel on the upper floors of the downtown headquarters building reported feeling the quake.

In New York state, people from Buffalo to Albany and north to Massena on the St. Lawrence River said pets were startled and plates rattled when the quake hit.

David French, 53-year-old state worker from Cicero, New York, said he was at his computer inside his home near Syracuse when he felt his chair shake.

"I thought the chair was breaking or something," he said. "I looked over and my filing cabinet was moving."

The quake prompted several calls to state police in the Adirondacks area.

"A little shake, nothing too big," is how Trooper Mark Revette described the temblor. "It happens. We get a couple of these a year."

Kellie Tassone, 40, was at home on Oneida Lake in Cicero.

"My dog picked his head up just before it happened and kind of looked at me," she said. Then the sliding door started to rattle "and the house was shaking."

The USGS said the two largest quakes in western Quebec occurred in 1935 at magnitude-6.1 and in 1732 at a magnitude of 6.2, where it caused significant damage in Montreal.

The agency said earthquakes cause significant damage in the region about once a decade. Smaller earthquakes are felt three or four times a year.

___

Associated Press writers Thomas J. Sheeran contributed in Cleveland and Dan Sewell in Cincinnati contributed to this report

just4mefc
Jun 23, 2010, 6:22 PM
I hope all is well for the people in that region.

DuckiesDarling
Jun 23, 2010, 7:00 PM
I hope all is well for our neighbors to the north.

tenni
Jun 23, 2010, 7:45 PM
We are suppose to be on fairly solid rock formations here and tend not to have earthquakes very often. I either have a thick bubble butt or I must have been driving in my car. I felt nothing...lol Apparently, if you are driving a car, you tend not to feel the quake at 5.0? I didn't know about it until I was returning home and heard comments on the radio. A friend who was sleeping woke up to his bed moving. Another person told me that they were sitting at their computer at work and the desk shook. I think that he said that the windows might have shook. I don't think that anyone was hurt or damage to buildings anywhere?

Supposedly the epicenter was 61 km from Ottawa. Yep...blame Canada...lol We did it. Maybe, Mikey should eat fewer beans at lunch...;) (kid'n Mikey It couldn't be you since you are in Tarana and not Ottawa)

DuckiesDarling
Jun 23, 2010, 7:46 PM
We are suppose to be on fairly solid rock formations here and tend not to have earthquakes very often. I either have a thick bubble butt or I must have been driving in my car. I felt nothing...lol Apparently, if you are driving a car, you tend not to feel the quake at 5.0? I didn't know about it until I was returning home and heard comments on the radio. A friend who was sleeping woke up to his bed moving. Another person told me that they were sitting at their computer at work and the desk shook. I don't think that anyone was hurt or damage to buildings anywhere?

Supposedly the epicenter was 61 km from Ottawa. Yep...blame Canada...lol We did it. Maybe, Mikey should eat fewer beans at lunch...;) (kid'n Mikey It couldn't be you since you are in Tarana and not Ottawa)

Glad to hear you are well, Tenni, hope more of our Canadian friends check in soon.

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Jun 23, 2010, 7:56 PM
One of my Sweeties in Patowaan (3 hours from Toronto) said he and his son were cutting wood with the industrial chair saw and hauling in the tractor, so they knew nothing about it til later in the day. He lost several jars of fresh canned goodies, but other than that, they were fine.

Roll Call Ya'll. Where's our Canadain contigency??? :}
Concerned Cat

tenni
Jun 24, 2010, 10:50 AM
Just a wee update. Apparently, there was some damage closer to the epi centre. There was a bridge or overpass that collapsed. Some structural damage to some buildings but no "serious" injuries. What is being raised is that there are major fault lines in this area and there is a potential for more serious earthquakes. It just has not happened too often in the past 100 years or so. That is interesting after years stating that there was no significant danger of earthquakes in central Canada? Unlike the west coast, we are not prepared for future earthquakes. Some people in Toronto thought that it had something to do with the subway or the G20 meeting (a bomb?). Senators in Ottawa came pouring out of Parliament as the chandeliers swayed. The people are going to have to be edjumacated on the potentials.

This may be yet another sign of earthquakes happening where they have not historically been a problem. Something big may be going on.

onewhocares
Jun 24, 2010, 11:06 AM
Funny thing happened yesterday.....

I was talking with a dear friend from Windsor, Onterio yesterday. After about an hour, I was getting ready to sign off and I sent him a kiss...this was on Yahoo Messenger.

Next thing I know I hear about the quake...and get a call from him...." Belle my dear, you made the earth move with your kiss, eh". I nearly fell off my chair when I read that.

What a coincidence, eh?

Belle

tenni
Jun 24, 2010, 11:17 AM
Belle...lol

Don't be surprised if CSIS or your CIA come knocking on your door...;)
You must be one powerful woman...:bigrin:

**Peg**
Jun 24, 2010, 4:36 PM
... Maybe, Mikey should eat fewer beans at lunch...;) (kid'n Mikey It couldn't be you since you are in Tarana and not Ottawa)

LMAO too many syllables tenni.....here in EO we call it Tranna....can always tell that someone is from away when they call it ToronTO :bigrin:
for those wondering, some damage done to some churches, one school in Ottawa... and a bridge in Quebec...I felt it bigtime windows rattling but safe and sound here peeps... thanks for your concern :)

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Jun 24, 2010, 4:46 PM
Glad to know you're ok Peg...wasnt sure exactly Where you were up there, but was concerned anyway.:tongue:
Hard hearted old Cat...lol

tenni
Jun 24, 2010, 4:56 PM
You are right Peg...Tranna ...but we in the burbs sometimes say Taranna :)

todaystheday
Jun 25, 2010, 1:04 AM
I believe the quake is a precursor for the G20 summit quake . What better way to solve the worlds problems than to drop a bunch of buildings on the leaders of the world. Not my doing but maybe a higher power has some vested interest.?

Northerner
Jun 25, 2010, 7:51 AM
Lots of people here in central Ontario told me they felt it. I was out cutting the grass when it happened and I didn't feel a thing.

mikey3000
Jun 25, 2010, 10:03 AM

LOL!!Funny you should mention that. I just finished eating at McDonald's when it struck. And me and Big Macs Don't agree. Couldda been me. :bigrin:

Anyway, I didn't feel it but as soon as it struck, my bud in Baltimore texted me telling me what happened. Crazy. And My girls were extatic!!!!! We actually had two, a smaller one immediately followed by a bigger one. Lasted about 20 seconds. Yes there is damage in Ottawa, a few buildings and bridges are damaged, but nothing too serious. And two tornadoes just north of the city the same day. Crazy!!!!!

And I pronounce it Torono. I loose the second T. Born and raised here.

tenni
Jun 25, 2010, 12:43 PM
Here is a photo sent to me by email today showing the serious damage due to the earthquake.

*sick Canuck humour.:bigrin: