PDA

View Full Version : Start of Summer Tomorrow??

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Jun 21, 2010, 2:45 AM
I hope to heck so! Having a summer up here Might be nice..lol

Washington might be the only state where the weather can be about the same on the first day of summer and the first day of winter.

The high was 52 degrees at Sea-Tac Airport on Dec. 20. Monday, it’s expected to be a balmy 61, according to the National Weather Service.

It’s not exactly an encouraging way to start the summer, and it’s likely to get worse before it gets better.

“It might warm up Tuesday and Wednesday, but then another low-pressure system is expected to build up off the West Coast,” Seattle-based National Weather Service meteorologist Jay Albrecht said late last week.

It’s those low-pressure systems, coupled with a steady spate of strong high-pressure systems in the east central Pacific Ocean, that keep allowing cool, moist air to flow into the Puget Sound region from the northern Gulf of Alaska, Albrecht said.

The results are daytime highs that have consistently registered well below normal. A case in point, the June 19 high recorded at Sea-Tac was 57 degrees, 13 degrees below normal.

As of Friday, Seattle still was waiting for its first daytime high this year of 75 degrees. The latest day of the year for the thermometer to reach 75 previously was June 9, 1991.

As for the wet part of the equation, May’s rain total at Sea-Tac was 2.83 inches; the average for the month is 1.78 inches. Spooner Farms on Yelm Highway started selling strawberries from its stand one week ago, which is about one week later than last year, farm stand coordinator Larry Thielen said. However, he said, the berries are extra plump, perhaps one benefit of the cooler weather.

“The cool spring weather will just string the berry season out a little later,” he said, predicting strong crops of raspberries, blueberries and marionberries as the summer rolls along.

Don Tapio, the Washington State University extension agent in Grays Harbor County, predicted crops such as peas, corn and tomatoes probably will ripen late this year. And some ornamental plants and shrubs are suffering from fungal diseases brought on by the moist weather and lack of sun.

“It has been a unique spring,” he said. “We’re suffering from a lack of heat units.”

Here are a couple of bright spots in the gloomy weather:

A heat wave in late May – a fairly common occurrence in Puget Sound – helped commercial Christmas tree growers escape a scorching of new growth on their trees, Tapio said.

Tourists in the Columbia River Gorge are being treated to spectacular waterfalls, thanks to record June rainfall in the Portland area.

Looking ahead, the NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center issued a 90-day seasonal forecast last week for July, August and September in the Pacific Northwest that predicts an equal chance that rainfall and temperatures could be above average, normal or below average.

How’s that for uncertainty?

Read more: http://www.thenewstribune.com/2010/06/20/1234693/summer-is-arriving-without-a-calendar.html#ixzz0rT2fvMvI

Canticle
Jun 21, 2010, 4:06 AM
Well, in the UK we had a pretty wonderful April, a warm and glorious May and June has been really nice too. Spring was a little late, so the daffodils hung around, a little longer than usual, but come May, trees were in full leaf, there was lilac out and bluebells and dandelions and daisies everywhere...along with Lily of the Valley and tons of other stuff....including the hedgerows, the hawthorn white with blossom.

Then it's gone and in Marches June. June brings the pink dog (or wild) roses, in the hedgerow. They seem to be almost smiling, because they are so happy to be in flower. The elderflower is out and some trees already have berries. The Linden (Lime), tree, is in full blossom and bees hum merrily, within the shade of it's leaves. Fox Gloves stand tall and say ''look at us,'' and all the gardens in the village look wonderful.

It's not too hot, just pleasantly warm and the countryside looks perfect, with the cows and sheep in the fields and the river chugging along to where it joins an even bigger river. It's fast, though and one wouldn't want to lose one's step. Deep and dark...a place of dark water, which is what the name of the village means.

It's beautiful and I cannot count, all the different shades of green.

Roll on July........

darkeyes
Jun 21, 2010, 4:19 AM
Funny peeps in 'merica..startin summa on midsummas day...:tong:

DuckiesDarling
Jun 21, 2010, 4:24 AM
ROFLMAO Fran, it might be the start of summer here but since it's been in the 90's...I'd rather be in NZ where it's winter.

Long Duck Dong
Jun 21, 2010, 4:27 AM
yeah, with my freezing cold legs, toes and hands lol.....

DuckiesDarling
Jun 21, 2010, 4:28 AM
yeah, with my freezing cold legs, toes and hands lol.....

Hey now, I warmed you up :)

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Jun 21, 2010, 3:51 PM
Well one of you three(or all three, I dont care) come up here and warm me up! We like to have froze to death while working a car show on Saturday because we were soaked to the gills. It rained And hailed on us while trying to do this event. :(

And the damn temp today is 61! Its June fer God's sakes! We had two nice days last weekend that reached almost 70. People around me are Dyin' from the heat, and I'm out there in the sun like a big cormorant going "Get me-get me!"

Fukin Global Warming. Brinin' on another damn Ice Age.....grrrrr
Disgruntled Cat:(

DuckiesDarling
Jun 21, 2010, 4:32 PM
Cat it's fucking 96 today and 98 tomorrow, you can have all the heat you want I promise, just send me some of that nice cool weather. Breathing is kinda important :)

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Jun 21, 2010, 7:20 PM
lol I'm from the Mojave desert in Calif where the temps can reach 120-122 degrees. But even those of us from that region know better than to stay out in it for very long. 97-98 I can handle easily thats no big deal. Its the Humidity that is the true killer. That'll bring you down quicker'n anything. If its a straight down dry heat, its ok. But that humidity from like where I was raised is for the birds...lol Mississippi and Arkansas heat isnt for me anymore like when I was a kid. I like just a normal dry heat, and we damn sure dont get it here..:( But then again, we have barely any humidity either being so near the Ocean.
When I go back to Calif in Aug for my Grandson's Birthday, I intend on soaking up some sun, and getting my normal skin color back...lol
Pic on my profile in there somewhere...:}
Cat

DuckiesDarling
Jun 21, 2010, 7:42 PM
lol I'm from the Mojave desert in Calif where the temps can reach 120-122 degrees. But even those of us from that region know better than to stay out in it for very long. 97-98 I can handle easily thats no big deal. Its the Humidity that is the true killer. That'll bring you down quicker'n anything. If its a straight down dry heat, its ok. But that humidity from like where I was raised is for the birds...lol Mississippi and Arkansas heat isnt for me anymore like when I was a kid. I like just a normal dry heat, and we damn sure dont get it here..:( But then again, we have barely any humidity either being so near the Ocean.
When I go back to Calif in Aug for my Grandson's Birthday, I intend on soaking up some sun, and getting my normal skin color back...lol
Pic on my profile in there somewhere...:}
Cat

Don't mention humidity we are sitting at 94%, I'd cry but that would be a waste of hydration.

onewhocares
Jun 21, 2010, 9:16 PM
As we come to the end of the First Day of Summer here in Boston and it was warm but it was the humidity which was bad. But I am looking to a Summer Solstice Party on Saturday night.

Belle