PDA

View Full Version : World Cup-FIFA

tenni
Jun 11, 2010, 8:39 AM
It might be interesting to read the varying thoughts on the World Cup. Some of us in North America do not have the same dedication to FIFA but acknowledge the significance of these games. I'm watching part of the opening ceremonies right now. We are not being given the full ceremonies as the commentators are chatting about all the possibilities.

In Canada, we have never qualified for the World Cup except once back in something like 1986. However, people have come to Canada from all over the world and it is almost impossible not to notice the importance of this event. There is talk about people missing work and bars being open at hours not usually legal to be open due to the World Cup. People place a small country flag of which team that they are supporting so that the flag is above the car. The flag is attached to the car from the window. If a country team wins a game that you support and you are one of these characters who put your "team" country flag on your car, people tend to drive their car up and down a major street of their community. They honk their horn and wave even bigger flags. As the final approaches and after a game, people pour out into the streets shouting and screaming if their team won. Remember Canada is not playing but people pick a country based upon having immigrated from their or even their grandparents came from a certain country. Its rather strange but they are having fun.

I think that the World Cup is playing a more and more important significance here in Canada but it is still a bit alien to me. More kids are playing soccer every year. It is a good sport for full body cardio development. It is not as expensive to have a kid play soccer compared to hockey and North American football (Our word soccer is football to the Euros and probably Aussies & Kiwis). We have just had reports on how poor kids in Africa make their own soccer ball by using plastic bags. I think that they are called Jawawa balls in South Africa.

What goes on in your country during the World Cup? Is this the coming of age for Africa and in particular South Africa to hold the World Cup? What are your thoughts about the World Cup?

Canticle
Jun 11, 2010, 10:35 AM
It might be interesting to read the varying thoughts on the World Cup. Some of us in North America do not have the same dedication to FIFA but acknowledge the significance of these games. I'm watching part of the opening ceremonies right now. We are not being given the full ceremonies as the commentators are chatting about all the possibilities.

In Canada, we have never qualified for the World Cup except once back in something like 1986. However, people have come to Canada from all over the world and it is almost impossible not to notice the importance of this event. There is talk about people missing work and bars being open at hours not usually legal to be open due to the World Cup. People place a small country flag of which team that they are supporting so that the flag is above the car. The flag is attached to the car from the window. If a country team wins a game that you support and you are one of these characters who put your "team" country flag on your car, people tend to drive their car up and down a major street of their community. They honk their horn and wave even bigger flags. As the final approaches and after a game, people pour out into the streets shouting and screaming if their team won. Remember Canada is not playing but people pick a country based upon having immigrated from their or even their grandparents came from a certain country. Its rather strange but they are having fun.

I think that the World Cup is playing a more and more important significance here in Canada but it is still a bit alien to me. More kids are playing soccer every year. It is a good sport for full body cardio development. It is not as expensive to have a kid play soccer compared to hockey and North American football (Our word soccer is football to the Euros and probably Aussies & Kiwis). We have just had reports on how poor kids in Africa make their own soccer ball by using plastic bags. I think that they are called Jawawa balls in South Africa.

What goes on in your country during the World Cup? Is this the coming of age for Africa and in particular South Africa to hold the World Cup? What are your thoughts about the World Cup?

Football aka Soccer across the pond.....I hate football! In the UK, people will behave, very much as they will, in Canada. They will support either England, or their country of origin, or family ancestry. Scotland supporters (and Scotland didn't make it to the World Cup, this time), will hardly ever support England. I think the people of Eire and also Northern Ireland, will support most anyone. Not sure about the Welsh!

Football/Soccer is almost an all year thing, in the UK and Europe. There are all the different home teams, like Manchester United, Liverpool, etc, all playing one another for positions in the league tables and also, the different cup ties, the biggest event being the FA Cup (Scottish FA, in Scotland). Then they are also playing different European countries, for the various European, cup ties. Plus all the friendlies and then the World Cup play offs and then every four years, the European Cup. Sheesh, it goes on and on.

Of course the males in the household, always liked watching the matches and I guess there have been football/soccer matches, that I have enjoyed watching.........on very rare occasions. I was brought up in London and we lived not more than 3 miles, as the crow flies, from Wembley Stadium. I well remember the 1966 World Cup....especially the final....which England won. When a goal was scored, it was very interesting, because from our garden, the roar of the crowd, could be heard.

But....like I said....I hate football/soccer. There is only one beautiful game.....Cricket.......and never let anyone tell you, that Cricket is a boring game. It can be fast, breath taking and exciting. There was something very precious about a perfect team, coming together, in 2005 and winning the Ashes Test Series, against Australia. That was sweet.....and this lady was heard to shout at the television screen ''Bowl the Aussie bastard out.'' I can get quite excited about Cricket. It's in the blood. Three family members played at county level and one of them for England. I just love Cricket.

Of course, 2012 sees the London Olympics........time to go into hibernation.....

Pasadenacpl2
Jun 11, 2010, 1:39 PM
The only interest I have in soccer is the occasional riot it causes.

Pasa

TaylorMade
Jun 11, 2010, 7:50 PM
"If God wanted us to play soccer, he wouldn't have given us arms." ~Mike Ditka

I played in high school and intramurals in college. Still no love. :p

*Taylor*

DuckiesDarling
Jun 12, 2010, 2:30 PM
Cricket? Ewwwwww, only time there anything interesting there was when the batter swung his bat and hit the streaker on the ass.

I am not a big fan of soccer but this is the World Cup. So I am reading the news and I'll prolly watch NZ play. It's kinda like the Olympics to me, I don't give a puck about hockey but I like to watch the games with the worlds best going head to head.

mariersa
Jun 13, 2010, 4:41 PM
We're bout 175miles NNE of Tangier passing another tourist oceanliner(2nd one today) is there really a recession? so have a signal. Sorry to all of my aussie friends, the Cup score just popped up. Beware of the Fatherland, that "young" team is certinly impressive. In all fairness though the ausseroos coach i think misplayed the strategy, defence only?? yikes, but anyway you didn't have Harry!!!! Anyway it's early, each team gets 3 games. Will check in whenever availability is there . :):):bigrin:

void()
Jun 13, 2010, 9:21 PM
Watched about 30 minutes of the England vs. US match. Sadly, it turned out as I thought it would, a draw at 1 all. Could not stay interested enough in football. It was a dry humorless affair sending me into a slumbering coma.

Suggest we adjourn to a vacant pasture for a rousing good time of Calvin Ball (http://www.bartel.org/calvinball/). It at least affords freedom of imagination. :-) Shoot, we may even play naked except for keeping masks on.

I'm just not a sports/cars/truck/bikes sort of guy. Enjoy archery, fishing, shooting guns, bowling. But those are things I enjoy doing alone or in very small groups of close friends, or lovers. Also like movies, books, music, computer and video games. Enjoy a sport that if I mention in mixed company may be misconstrued.

I love to stalk. And that on very random and odd times does include stalking people. But I'm not one of the intrusive lot, more the type you'd never see or hear. Also stalk animals, deer, squirrel, rabbit, turkey, bear, cougar, just about any sort of game.

To rephrase, I do not illegally stalk people. Might pick someone from a crowd in public, see how long I can follow them without getting noticed. But, I do not cross boundaries or otherwise intrude upon privacy. This is called self-discipline and respect. Respect yourself and others will too.

jem_is_bi
Jun 13, 2010, 9:46 PM
I love hockey. Every other sport is just soo soo slow!!

innaminka
Jun 14, 2010, 2:15 AM
I'm a dedicated Aussie Rules fan, but I also love "football" just as I love most sports.
It really doesn't matter what sport it is, as long as our children are out there playing to whatever level they can rather than sitting in front of a screen typing away in forums like this. (or f****book, or whatever)

Also, it doesn't matter what sport it is - to see the very best play it - football, netball, hurling, darts (maybe not!!) and so on is special.

The World Cup is The Greatest Show On Earth - I just hope its not finally decided on penalties.

IMHO Spain should (repeat should) win it, but ............

Good luck to all who play. Don't forget most of those players were once little kids kicking an old ball in a dusty street.

niftyshellshock
Jun 14, 2010, 11:27 AM
People who think football is boring probably find that American football/baseball are super exciting.

Football:
1st and 10 - run, gain 3
2nd and 7 - pass, gain two
3 and 5 - pass, incomplete
4th and 10 - punt, other team gets the ball

repeat ad nauseaum, and include timeouts for everything such as "too many players on the field, not enough players on the field, players on the field moving the wrong way, base judge sneezing, etc)

and BASEBALL?

Seriously?

I think those two edge cricket out, definitely. Even NASCAR and golf edge cricket out.
"Oh, a good match will take up most of a day, lol!" is not the sign of an enjoyable sport.

DuckiesDarling
Jun 14, 2010, 11:31 AM
I like baseball, but then I grew up with my great grandfather watching the Cincinatti Reds play on tv with the sound off and the radio on listening to the game.

Pasadenacpl2
Jun 14, 2010, 1:23 PM
I respect the athleticism of soccer players. I do not respect the game itself.

Any game that in tournament play can be a tie, or be decided on with penalty shots seems to me to be a big downer. And, more importantly, the goal is the size, literally, of the side of a barn. It has one defender in front of it. How is it that goals aren't scored in greater numbers? Soccer is booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooring.

Pasa

TaylorMade
Jun 14, 2010, 3:10 PM
People who think football is boring probably find that American football/baseball are super exciting.

Football:
1st and 10 - run, gain 3
2nd and 7 - pass, gain two
3 and 5 - pass, incomplete
4th and 10 - punt, other team gets the ball

repeat ad nauseaum, and include timeouts for everything such as "too many players on the field, not enough players on the field, players on the field moving the wrong way, base judge sneezing, etc)

and BASEBALL?

<snip>

Baseball is boring as hell... I'll let George Carlin explain Football (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om_yq4L3M_I) for me.

*Taylor*

void()
Jun 14, 2010, 6:33 PM
"People who think football is boring probably find that American football/baseball are super exciting."

Um, that's a big negative. I think all 'em are pretty dull. But I'm just odd like that. (void shrugs.) I recall having a little fun out of laser tag, pity that didn't really last. (void wanders along to the beat of the different drummer.)

innaminka
Jun 15, 2010, 8:17 AM
Test cricket is probably the most sophisticated game ever.
Played over 5 days, and often the most memorable games are those that end in a draw (no winner)

Test cricket has subtleties that cannot be explained - suffice to say its played on a strip of rolled dirt that over 5 days changes - thus changing the techniques and tactics employed by both sides.

1 day cricket is a total bore! (And I'm an Aussie!!) It's not a contest between bat and ball as real cricket is. Its a slugfest. yaaaaaaawn!.

Test cricket is also a great game because you can go shopping, have drinks with friends etc, etc, and not a lot has happened.

niftyshellshock
Jun 15, 2010, 12:39 PM

Any game that in tournament play can be a tie, or be decided on with penalty shots seems to me to be a big downer. And, more importantly, the goal is the size, literally, of the side of a barn. It has one defender in front of it. How is it that goals aren't scored in greater numbers? Soccer is booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooring.

Pasa

There are good ties, and there are bad ties.
Example: The Mexico - South Africa game, the England-USA game were good ties.
The France-Uruguay game was a bad tie.

Unlike NFL, where a tie is "Holy damn, you couldn't even get within field goal range for three-four hours?", a tie in football is "both teams played equally well and none deserved to lose"*

As far as tournament play goes, it's the group stages. What fun would it be if you spend four years qualifying and training for the tournament, and then in your first game, you lose with an injury time goal. That's BS.
There's strategy involved. You have three games. A win nets you 3 points, a tie 1 point, and a loss, no points. If you lose your first game, you need to come back and win the other two and still have a chance. You could also tie and win, and there's an element of luck involved, too. Injuries, a particular team's strategy, etc.
Once you make it out of the group, it becomes single-elimination and trust me, a great game that's ended in a tie ends up being decided by penalties is the most nervewrackingly awesome thing to witness.

On the goal's size:
The goal's width is 24 feet, the height is 7 feet. Yeah, it's easy to score if you kick it right and there's no goalie, but game conditions are different. I used to think like that and then I actually started playing, and, yeah, I shut up pretty quick.

darkeyes
Jun 15, 2010, 3:13 PM
"If God wanted us to play soccer, he wouldn't have given us arms." ~Mike Ditka

I played in high school and intramurals in college. Still no love. :p

*Taylor*

Shows wot Mike DICKta knos bout footie.. goalies need arms..refs need arms.. linesmen need arms.. peeps need arms 2 make the ball and the footie kit.. outfield players need arms 2 place the ball for kick offs, free kicks, corners, penalties and tie their boots an put the resta ther kit on not 2 mention for balance.... an for the occasional shirt tug or push wen the needs arises (Jambos hav nev ev fouled.. they hav jus been set up an blamed;).... coaches need 'em for discussing tactics an pointin fingies.. Club owners for ritin checks for signin players...fans need arms 2 pay ther gate money an 2 make rude signs 2 refs an the opposition an for helpin 'em 2 eat their pies an drink ther bovril durin a game an 2 help 'em 2 get slaughtered in pub afta...

.. is a pity ya don like the game, Taylor..cos ther much fun 2 b had b4 durin an afta a match, an gr8 friendships made both by playin an wotchin the beautiful game.. so ya lil quote is cobblers.. at least propa football players actually use ther feet to control the ball mosly.. can hardly say that bout the 'Merican version...

darkeyes
Jun 15, 2010, 3:27 PM
First games in groups are generally not much cop in major competitions like the world cup.. in the main this World Cup is not unusual.. so I wait until the groups get down to really meaning something before taking a real interest.. but its when the competition gets down to the last 16 and goes into knock out mode that it gets most exciting.. so its been a bit of a yawn so far which I expected.. and unlike so many of my compatriots north of the border, I have not written off England after their dismal showing against the USA (and no, Canticle, I do not want them to win it just like most Scots for reasons I gave some time ago in another thread..).. I have however written off the USA but I do expect them to qualify for the last 16 but not really to go much further.. but in football you can never really tell in a one of cup tie..

My heart is with France this time round but my head with the Dutch..

darkeyes
Jun 15, 2010, 3:35 PM

Pasa

Not quite the size of a barn Pasa hun.. and there isnt just one defender protecting the goal.. why do we need lots of goals? Many games are brill and they have no goals at all.. A great goalie and a solid defence against a brilliant attack and two midfields creating and/or trying to stop creation.. now thats what the best of the game is about..

American football often has lots of points and scores.. now thats what most of the rest of the world calls booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooring...:tong:;)

darkeyes
Jun 15, 2010, 3:39 PM
We're bout 175miles NNE of Tangier passing another tourist oceanliner(2nd one today) is there really a recession? so have a signal. Sorry to all of my aussie friends, the Cup score just popped up. Beware of the Fatherland, that "young" team is certinly impressive. In all fairness though the ausseroos coach i think misplayed the strategy, defence only?? yikes, but anyway you didn't have Harry!!!! Anyway it's early, each team gets 3 games. Will check in whenever availability is there . :):):bigrin:

Beware of the team which starts badly Mars..and also beware the team that starts well.. ;)

jamieknyc
Jun 15, 2010, 4:05 PM
American football often has lots of points and scores.. now thats what most of the rest of the world calls booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooring...:tong:;)

Say what you like, but foreign visitors always love it if you take them to an American football game.

fuckmegood50
Jun 15, 2010, 4:31 PM
It's not about athletics or sport. It's about craziness. Soccer is popular in Europe and South America for that reason and one other. It's a game the unathletic can play almost anywhere. In the U.S. sports arose out of public schools and were highly organized and well-managed by coaches. That's why American sports require a myriad of skill sets, athletic ability, strength, and intelligence. Can't say that about soccer, unless you confine it to healthy lungs and fancy footwork.

Pasadenacpl2
Jun 15, 2010, 4:33 PM
I only watch soccer at all for the riots. Now THAT'S entertaining.

Pasa

Pasadenacpl2
Jun 16, 2010, 3:43 AM
I did watch this, however:

http://static.tvguide.com/MediaBin/Content/100614/News/Todays_News_Our_Take/1_mon/100614robert-green1.jpg

It made me giggle...so did Stephen Colbert's take on it, though I can't find the video online.

Pasa

darkeyes
Jun 16, 2010, 3:55 AM
Say what you like, but foreign visitors always love it if you take them to an American football game.

Went to one at Murrayfield with me dad .. (there is some kind of Americian Football league in Europe believe it or not.. 20000 odd peeps and God it wos still borin.. am not sure, but think Edinburgh were champions a few years ago.. do remember a cuppla cheerleaders who were decidedly yummie.. but even that wasn't enough to get me to repeat the experience...:rolleyes:

jamieknyc
Jun 16, 2010, 3:24 PM
Went to one at Murrayfield with me dad .. (there is some kind of Americian Football league in Europe believe it or not.. 20000 odd peeps and God it wos still borin.. am not sure, but think Edinburgh were champions a few years ago.. do remember a cuppla cheerleaders who were decidedly yummie.. but even that wasn't enough to get me to repeat the experience...:rolleyes:

Minor-league soccer games are pretty boring, too, compared to major teamsn....although lately, soccer fans have been complaining that the World Cup has been pretty dull too.

darkeyes
Jun 16, 2010, 3:48 PM
Minor-league soccer games are pretty boring, too, compared to major teamsn....although lately, soccer fans have been complaining that the World Cup has been pretty dull too.

Soccer fans would.. what do they know?? The game is football.. but whatever you call it Jamie.. I've already explained why excitement levels have so far been underwhelming... as games begin to mean more to the sides involved, that will change..

Pasadenacpl2
Jun 16, 2010, 4:47 PM
Soccer, football, call it what you will. Bloody boring the lot of it. I watched about 30 minutes of the RSA game today (I was in a laundromat and the people who own it are Mexican). There was nothing I could call 'bril.' There was one goal scored. The ball ping ponged back and forth, a big game of keep away.

If I want to watch keep away, I'll watch Rugby and enjoy the results of the scrum.

Vuvelas should be destroyed. Goddamned annoying.

Pasa

darkeyes
Jun 16, 2010, 7:18 PM
:bigrin:
Soccer, football, call it what you will. Bloody boring the lot of it. I watched about 30 minutes of the RSA game today (I was in a laundromat and the people who own it are Mexican). There was nothing I could call 'bril.' There was one goal scored. The ball ping ponged back and forth, a big game of keep away.

If I want to watch keep away, I'll watch Rugby and enjoy the results of the scrum.

Pasa

Nev mind Pasa.. footie can b borin sometimes.. even me admits that..spesh wen the Jambos get gubbed..

..but hav been in a scrum or 2 wiv a few rugby lads in me time an ver nice it wos 2 me seems 2 memba.. an 1 ratha delish rugby lock.. who wos very forward (tee hee) an a ver gud scrummager an all.. on an off the field.. an in the loose.. God.. but in a maul she wos heaven..:tong:

mariersa
Jun 17, 2010, 1:11 AM
Beware of the team which starts badly Mars..and also beware the team that starts well.. ;)

teehee all of this from person who refuses to support the St George Cross:cool: oh well all I was saying that Jurgen K(absent the umlauts) that the German team for their youth appears to be possibly a finals contender. Time will tell, it's still very early in the competition. :eek:

darkeyes
Jun 17, 2010, 6:02 AM
teehee all of this from person who refuses to support the St George Cross:cool: oh well all I was saying that Jurgen K(absent the umlauts) that the German team for their youth appears to be possibly a finals contender. Time will tell, it's still very early in the competition. :eek:

Mars.. most teams have started badly or at best unconvincingly.. its the way of things in opening world cup games.. there are a few exceptions, Germany being one.. sorry 'bout South Africa last night though.. I wanted them to win but the naivity of their footie was always gonna make it hard for them.. an even more sorry, cos they play France next up an ya knos how me feels bout them.. ;)

darkeyes
Jun 17, 2010, 8:23 AM

As far as me is aware..England nicked the St George Cross from Genoa wich has the same patron saint.. mite b able 2 support Genoa if they wer in World Cup.. they not a state ne more an bein parta Italy thats not poss.. nev mind.. idea a supportin me mum and 'er family's team is jus 2 much an don bear thinkin 'bout:rolleyes:.. spesh if the buggas do win the cup..:eek::(

God Scotland..wen ya gonna produce a bloody team... :rolleyes:

jamieknyc
Jun 17, 2010, 5:53 PM
Shows wot Mike DICKta knos bout footie.. goalies need arms..refs need arms.. linesmen need arms.. peeps need arms 2 make the ball and the footie kit.. outfield players need arms 2 place the ball for kick offs, free kicks, corners, penalties and tie their boots an put the resta ther kit on not 2 mention for balance.... an for the occasional shirt tug or push wen the needs arises (Jambos hav nev ev fouled.. they hav jus been set up an blamed;).... coaches need 'em for discussing tactics an pointin fingies.. Club owners for ritin checks for signin players...fans need arms 2 pay ther gate money an 2 make rude signs 2 refs an the opposition an for helpin 'em 2 eat their pies an drink ther bovril durin a game an 2 help 'em 2 get slaughtered in pub afta...

.. is a pity ya don like the game, Taylor..cos ther much fun 2 b had b4 durin an afta a match, an gr8 friendships made both by playin an wotchin the beautiful game.. so ya lil quote is cobblers.. at least propa football players actually use ther feet to control the ball mosly.. can hardly say that bout the 'Merican version...

Actually the main use of the arms is for cheating...ask Maradona!

DuckiesDarling
Jun 17, 2010, 5:58 PM
I must be weird cause I watch football, mostly the SuperBowl, I watch rugby when it's playing on ESPN which is rare (Blames Duckie for that since he explained the sport to me while I was there), I watch soccer when it's something huge the World Cup but I can't stand cricket. I love baseball,especially the Reds, I watch tennis during things like Wimbeldon and the Opens, but I will not watch golf for any reason. There are better things to do... like watch the paint dry.

darkeyes
Jun 17, 2010, 6:05 PM
Actually the main use of the arms is for cheating...ask Maradona!

Wos just a lil girl of 6 wen that happened.. still memba all the hysterics from me dad an grandad wen Maradona proved 'e wos God.. didn completely understand at the time, Jamie.. do now tho.. an havin seen it a mill an 1 times since jus how 'e got away wiv it is a mystery 2 me.. but on ya main point... did touch on fouls..an hands can b used for ev so many.. Maradona's is no exception..jus 1 a the more famous an best executed in front of a ref who left 'is contacts at 'ome..

.. but it wos only England afta all.. an if u hav ev seen the otha goal 'e scored in that game... such wos its brilliance that 'e may not b God.. but bloody close.. at least in football terms:)

mariersa
Jun 19, 2010, 12:34 AM
Mars.. most teams have started badly or at best unconvincingly.. its the way of things in opening world cup games.. there are a few exceptions, Germany being one.. sorry 'bout South Africa last night though.. I wanted them to win but the naivity of their footie was always gonna make it hard for them.. an even more sorry, cos they play France next up an ya knos how me feels bout them.. ;)

ahha, why is it that it's lways South Africa and not RSA:eek: but that's ok, it's a polotical thing:rolleyes: Yes indeed, that's been a matter of criticism as well as he lack of forward agressiveness, they certainly can control the ball forward and then POOF,I only support them as a matter of residence, you know where my Nationalism lies(is that right?, remember I always have difficulty with that):cool:

mariersa
Jun 19, 2010, 12:38 AM
As far as me is aware..England nicked the St George Cross from Genoa wich has the same patron saint.. mite b able 2 support Genoa if they wer in World Cup.. they not a state ne more an bein parta Italy thats not poss.. nev mind.. idea a supportin me mum and 'er family's team is jus 2 much an don bear thinkin 'bout:rolleyes:.. spesh if the buggas do win the cup..:eek::(

God Scotland..wen ya gonna produce a bloody team... :rolleyes:

Yes, indeed, England wasn't very colour creative back then, but, the Genoaens are still pissed :tongue:

Scots have to re-consider some actual productive procreation, it should be a law:) oh c'mon support your mum's team for once :eek::bigrin:

mariersa
Jun 19, 2010, 12:48 AM

Pasa

Yikes correct spelling anyway, sure, let's destroy a peoples culture, they believe that is part of sport and demoralizing enemies and then so what, actually, even in your own games, if you know the game, why do you have to listen to those idiotic announcers telling you what happened (todays US game an exception) i suppose. just an observer

mariersa
Jun 19, 2010, 3:20 AM

Oh hell, for hours and hours I knew something was undone:eek:

France::rolleyes: Habla Espanol :bigrin::bigrin:

:tong:

darkeyes
Jun 19, 2010, 6:58 AM
Oh hell, for hours and hours I knew something was undone:eek:

France::rolleyes: Habla Espanol :bigrin::bigrin:

:tong:

England was a laugh last night tho..:bigrin:

darkeyes
Jun 19, 2010, 7:09 AM
Yes, indeed, England wasn't very colour creative back then, but, the Genoaens are still pissed :tongue:

Scots have to re-consider some actual productive procreation, it should be a law:) oh c'mon support your mum's team for once :eek::bigrin:Look..me been gettin piss taken outa me eva since they qualified an we didn by mums lot.. every chance they get they rub it in 2 all of us.... am not English... so wy support wot me not an who make me life such a misery? Did support 'em 1ce.. an they bloody played like Scotland.. poor sods.. las nite tho, didn support 'em an they still played like Scotland havin a rite bad day..an believe me Mars ther hav been lots.. am wonderin if the SFA had 23 Scottish players given face jobs an elocution lessons an quietly replaced Fabio's lot on the quiet..;) Methinks the FA shud do lil investigation...:tong:

TaylorMade
Jun 19, 2010, 10:39 AM
Yikes correct spelling anyway, sure, let's destroy a peoples culture, they believe that is part of sport and demoralizing enemies and then so what, actually, even in your own games, if you know the game, why do you have to listen to those idiotic announcers telling you what happened (todays US game an exception) i suppose. just an observer

Our announcers are quieter, and if I'm in another room during the game, it serves as a barometer whether to go back and watch. In an actual stadium during an American football match, you don't even hear them and you actually have to PAY MORE to get a special radio/device hear them during the game. Plus the damn things come with headphones.

The damn things are so loud that it disrupts the play of the game itself. And they aren't even a native South African object. It's a Mexian invention. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vuvuzela)

So . . . I say take 'em away. . .or if it's so dear to South Africa, play them during their matches only.

*Taylor*

Pasadenacpl2
Jun 19, 2010, 2:30 PM
US was robbed by an incredibly bad call. What I don't understand is that, when the ref was asked EXACTLY what the call was for, he refused to answer. How is that possible?

FIFA rules: Another reason to not like soccer.

Pasa

TaylorMade
Jun 19, 2010, 11:38 PM

I played the game, and I'm highly aware of this. I moved as sweeper and halfback. I have good ball control and surprising endurance.

But . . . I found more joy and excitement on the sidelines during a football game than on the field of play of soccer. Those friends that I made while bandaging ankles and taking records are the ones that endured.

I love this quote because . . . While I'm sure Coach Ditka knows the game of soccer. . . it expresses how I feel about the "beautiful game" . . .beautiful because of the nap I can take during it and not miss a damned thing.

We reject your football, and substituted our own from rugby and some other stuff.Now, if we had a world cup of RUGBY, on the other hand? I'd be there, bells and not much else on.

I'm sorry if you don't like my little quote, but . . . I admit it, part of the fun of being American is not giving a shit about soccer, even if you played it. :bigrin:

*Taylor*

tenni
Jun 20, 2010, 12:17 AM
"I admit it, part of the fun of being American is not giving a shit about soccer, even if you played it.

holy fuck ! What's wrong with you people in the US? You don't like soccer then stay off this thread!

Some Canucks claim that US football is stupid compared to Canadian football and you play on a girly little football field...let alone the wonders of hockey which the southern people can not even keep their eyes on the puck..(visually challenged with lazy slow eyes and limited brain processing capacity ....I guess?...lol)

One could go on ranting about how your local (meaning country) favourite sport is the best in the world. Does it really matter? Nope. Enjoy what you enjoy.

To paraphrase the wonderfully, elegant and articulate Pasa...Shut your cockholster about how your "sport" is better and soccer is bad....:bigrin:

btw Many Canucks love US football. Many Canucks love footie soccer. Soccer is growing in popularity but still no worthy national team... :(
As I think that I wrote earlier, soccer is very quickly becoming the number one sport for kids in Canada. Amazingly good cardio vascular fitness and equipment costs are much more affordable for the average family. It must have something worthwhile.

hmm...I wonder if old man Beckham was nakers when the fan ranted at him yesterday? ;)

DuckiesDarling
Jun 20, 2010, 12:25 AM
Goodness how did this thread get turned into my sport is better than yours. Hell I like horse racing better than any sport mentioned it doesn't mean I get to badmouth another person's enjoyment of a sport. Let's remember this is a site with a lot of different countries having members here and opinions are opinions.

As I said, I like to watch the best of the best. That means to me I can watch the World Cup without liking soccer just to admire the guys in shorts and their tight asses.. umm nm as I was saying to each their own. There is absolutely no need for anyone to downplay soccer. It is becoming more popular in the US and other parts of the world, it's right up there with Little League for parents to be taking their kids to play. Just like any game, a country will adapt it to it's own needs. But the World Cup is played according to one set of rules and it's the best of the best head to head to see who is the best in the World. Like all sports, the athletes have good and bad days but it's the enjoyment of watching the fierce competition that comes with being on the world stage that makes it so many people in America and other countries will watch something they don't normally follow.

So give the egos a rest guys.

darkeyes
Jun 20, 2010, 5:29 AM
I played the game, and I'm highly aware of this. I moved as sweeper and halfback. I have good ball control and surprising endurance.

But . . . I found more joy and excitement on the sidelines during a football game than on the field of play of soccer. Those friends that I made while bandaging ankles and taking records are the ones that endured.

I love this quote because . . . While I'm sure Coach Ditka knows the game of soccer. . . it expresses how I feel about the "beautiful game" . . .beautiful because of the nap I can take during it and not miss a damned thing.

We reject your football, and substituted our own from rugby and some other stuff.Now, if we had a world cup of RUGBY, on the other hand? I'd be there, bells and not much else on.

I'm sorry if you don't like my little quote, but . . . I admit it, part of the fun of being American is not giving a shit about soccer, even if you played it. :bigrin:

*Taylor*

Reject football huh? Odd thing 2 say wen the US is there an has a decent chance a gettin in2 the next stage.. since Americans are the largest group a foreign nationals in South Africa supportin ther team kinda makes the claim Americans don give a shit bout the game a nonsense don it?

Btw there is a World Cup of Rugby. There are actually two..one for Rugby Union (which takes place next year I think), and another for its sister code of Rugby League..

darkeyes
Jun 20, 2010, 5:35 AM
US was robbed by an incredibly bad call. What I don't understand is that, when the ref was asked EXACTLY what the call was for, he refused to answer. How is that possible?

FIFA rules: Another reason to not like soccer.

Pasa

Actually think they were robbed Pasa.. but thats parta the fun a football.. moanin bout refs an given 'em a hard time.. we all havta suffer bad decisions hun... an' how is it possible? Cos lotsa refs r blind as bats, othas r homers.... but they r human an make mistakes jus like the rest of us... shite happens.. we jus havta liv wiv it.. an wenya support the Jambos.. we get more than most.. :bigrin:

Pasadenacpl2
Jun 20, 2010, 5:51 AM
What I meant when asking how is it possible is how cam a ref call a foul and not explain it. In every other sport you have to say X player committed Y offense. It has a level of specificity required. This ref refused to clarify. Even two days later we are given best guesses. How does a supposed professional organization allow that?

Pasa

mariersa
Jun 20, 2010, 6:14 AM
Our announcers are quieter, and if I'm in another room during the game, it serves as a barometer whether to go back and watch. In an actual stadium during an American football match, you don't even hear them and you actually have to PAY MORE to get a special radio/device hear them during the game. Plus the damn things come with headphones.

The damn things are so loud that it disrupts the play of the game itself. And they aren't even a native South African object. It's a Mexian invention. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vuvuzela)

So . . . I say take 'em away. . .or if it's so dear to South Africa, play them during their matches only.

*Taylor*

Oh Dearest Taylor, yikes you have to really stop smoking that WikiWakiWeed or drinking WikiWalliWackerCocktails, a Mexican invention??? the only things the Mexicans have invented lately was gnarling France ;) by South African I meant sub-sahran africa not specifically RSA, yes indeed it can be confusing, but that's a topic for some political thread. Agreed then, if you can't hear the announcers while physically at a football (maybe it should be called Pass n Run Ball)match, why do you want to hear them in your great room?? Same ol point, if ya know the game you don't need some bobblehead explaining what happened, or do you?:cool::tong:

mariersa
Jun 20, 2010, 6:17 AM
What I meant when asking how is it possible is how cam a ref call a foul and not explain it. In every other sport you have to say X player committed Y offense. It has a level of specificity required. This ref refused to clarify. Even two days later we are given best guesses. How does a supposed professional organization allow that?

Pasa

Indeed, makes no sense, but either do many of the FIFA rules, anywy, I heard on the radio that FIFA was dismissing him, unfortunateky no help for the Stars N Stripes, but, hey, they are a very good team.

darkeyes
Jun 20, 2010, 8:21 AM
Indeed, makes no sense, but either do many of the FIFA rules, anywy, I heard on the radio that FIFA was dismissing him, unfortunateky no help for the Stars N Stripes, but, hey, they are a very good team.

..methinks very good team is overstatin it Mars.. decent mayb.. so far havn seen a ver gud team.. tho ther r signs that 1 or 2 mite b..

.. evry team gets the rub a the green an every team gets hard dun by.. it happens in evry sport an in evry walk a life... an in part thats wot makes football, like life so interestin.. an ifya go through life proply.. fun an all...;)

bicplinFL
Jun 20, 2010, 9:11 AM
Pasadena

i have read this thread thouroughly and paid special attention to your comments.

my conclusion.......your an opinionated ignorant asshole who has zero grasp of FIFA, the rules of football, the passion it generates in people and the entire concept of the game.

please go elsewhere with your moronic comments

darkeyes
Jun 20, 2010, 9:34 AM
Pasadena

i have read this thread thouroughly and paid special attention to your comments.

my conclusion.......your an opinionated ignorant asshole who has zero grasp of FIFA, the rules of football, the passion it generates in people and the entire concept of the game.

please go elsewhere with your moronic comments

Chill sweetie.. we cant all like same sport.. jus cos he dusn care an knos bugga all is his affair.. an don mind 'im takin p*** eitha.. shud hear wos me says bout 'merican football an baseball.. an basketball.. jeez.. .. take it wiv a lite heart an give 'm stick bak for his footie dummieness.;)

..an in 20 mins or so its Italy an Duckie's lot... don hold ya breath, Duckie.. expect severe gubbin.. but take heart..ya nev can tell.. thats wots so brill bout footie...:bigrin:

bicplinFL
Jun 20, 2010, 9:50 AM
Chill sweetie.. we cant all like same sport.. jus cos he dusn care an knos bugga all is his affair.. an don mind 'im takin p*** eitha.. shud hear wos me says bout 'merican football an baseball.. an basketball.. jeez.. .. take it wiv a lite heart an give 'm stick bak for his footie dummieness.;)

..an in 20 mins or so its Italy an Duckie's lot... don hold ya breath, Duckie.. expect severe gubbin.. but take heart..ya nev can tell.. thats wots so brill bout footie...:bigrin:

who was it that said something like.........If you keep yer mouth shut, we can only think your an idiot, when you open it, all doubt is removed...

Listen and learn pasadena

tenni
Jun 20, 2010, 10:17 AM
NZ scores

If Italy loses, there will be a lot of sad Italian Canucks in the city next to me. If they win, big noisy parades with Italian flags flying. When Greece got a score the other day, the Greek Canadians went wild.....just for getting a point.

bicplinFL
Jun 20, 2010, 10:49 AM
NZ scores

If Italy loses, there will be a lot of sad Italian Canucks in the city next to me. If they win, big noisy parades with Italian flags flying. When Greece got a score the other day, the Greek Canadians went wild.....just for getting a point.

Are the italian players ex submariners

dive dive dive.........aaaaaaaaaarrrrruuuggggggggggggga

TaylorMade
Jun 20, 2010, 11:01 AM
Oh Dearest Taylor, yikes you have to really stop smoking that WikiWakiWeed or drinking WikiWalliWackerCocktails, a Mexican invention??? the only things the Mexicans have invented lately was gnarling France ;) by South African I meant sub-sahran africa not specifically RSA, yes indeed it can be confusing, but that's a topic for some political thread. Agreed then, if you can't hear the announcers while physically at a football (maybe it should be called Pass n Run Ball)match, why do you want to hear them in your great room?? Same ol point, if ya know the game you don't need some bobblehead explaining what happened, or do you?:cool::tong:

So you don't have any evidence to contradict what I've posted. Damn the facts, full speed ahead- - let's move the goal posts. . . . wait, it's not a South African intention, it's a sub Saharan African invention. :rolleyes:

Wow.

Just ridicule. No matter that it has actually hurt people (http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/2010/06/18/2010-06-18_vuvuzela_injures_south_african_womans_throat_af ter_she_blew_the_horn_too_hard_at.html), and that Cape Town has actually decided to get rid of their monster size atrocity (http://www.timeslive.co.za/local/article511444.ece/Cape-Town-rsquo-s-monster-vuvuzela-silenced). And that it's replacing and destroying ANOTHER part of soccer culture -- group singing/chanting (http://g.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/world-cup/news/buzzkill-vuvuzelas-ruining-world-cup-experience--fbintl_ro-vuvuzela061410.html). You can't sing SHIT over that fucking thing. Some of the players can't even concentrate to play. .. and in a game as simple as soccer[/sarcasm] that's a hell of a distraction.

Ignorance is such an ugly accessory on a beautiful woman. Even worse if she doesn't know she's wearing it. :)

*Taylor*

Pasadenacpl2
Jun 20, 2010, 11:12 AM
who was it that said something like.........If you keep yer mouth shut, we can only think your an idiot, when you open it, all doubt is removed...

Listen and learn pasadena

Yeah...I still haven't had anyone explain how a ref can make a call and not say who committed what foul. No other professional sport would consider that legal. I've asked several times what in the rules of soccer allows, what seems to me to be unacccepable in professional sports of any variety.

As for the passion generated, that doesn't count for much. It had no bearing on whether or not I think its an interesting or worthy sport.

Pasa

tenni
Jun 20, 2010, 11:32 AM
Pasa
You have made it clear that you do not like soccer. All of your posts on this thread would be determined to be negative. Whether you really care to know why the foul was permitted without clarifying specifically which player (s) were involved is debatable. I don't know. Some have posted that it was a bad call. That happens in lots of sports. It really doesn't matter. It happened and I don't think that it is going to be changed in favour of your country. It is being reviewed apparently to determine whether the ref will be permitted to continue reffing these World games. If he is found to have made an error, I read that he will be sent home. If he was wrong, it is too bad. It happens unfortunately. As you wrote, just another reason for "you" not to like soccer.

Soccer at the World Cup level seems to have a ton of passion, excitement and enjoyment for many many millions of people world over. Your view is your view. Thanks for sharing but you do not seem to be impacting them and soccer fans probably don't care what you think. You may be seen as acting like a troll and only posting to create disruption, friction or something. Move on. Stop posting on this thread then. Others get your view.

Yeah...I still haven't had anyone explain how a ref can make a call and not say who committed what foul. No other professional sport would consider that legal. I've asked several times what in the rules of soccer allows, what seems to me to be unacccepable in professional sports of any variety.

As for the passion generated, that doesn't count for much. It had no bearing on whether or not I think its an interesting or worthy sport.

Pasa

darkeyes
Jun 20, 2010, 11:36 AM

Pasa

Only the captain of a side is entitled to make representations to the ref Pasa.. in all the protestations often the explanation gets lost because of all the pushing and shoving he gets, but the captain probably was told.. as far as we know it was for a push (a very dodgy push and very questionable). Whether the ref decides to explain to the captain or not is another matter but most refs do because a failure to do so can and does reflect badly on him as his performance is reported on after every match.. poor performance has been known to cost refs important matches.. I seem to remember when I was younger a ref who was hot favourite for getting the World Cup final making a bollox of an earlier game, and it cost him his chance.. one referee in this world cup made several dodgy decisions in his national league as recently as last season and was suspended by his national association.. refs in my own country have had their status stripped of them and relegated to running the line or refereeing lower divison and even lower league matches.So it is in the interests of refs to explain when asked why they have made a particular decision. Sometimes oddly, the captains of teams who have been at the rough end of a decision dont ask until after the game or at half time.. I only saw the highlights of the game which concerns you so much and think you were robbed of a perfectly good goal, but I wasnt paying particular attention to what went of after..

Unfortunately Pasa.. refs do have this shitty habit of sticking together and backed up by the national football associations and disciplining of a ref doesnt happen nearly often enough.. so from that point of view I have every sympathy with you...

darkeyes
Jun 20, 2010, 11:40 AM
So you don't have any evidence to contradict what I've posted. Damn the facts, full speed ahead- - let's move the goal posts. . . . wait, it's not a South African intention, it's a sub Saharan African invention. :rolleyes:

Wow.

Just ridicule. No matter that it has actually hurt people (http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/2010/06/18/2010-06-18_vuvuzela_injures_south_african_womans_throat_af ter_she_blew_the_horn_too_hard_at.html), and that Cape Town has actually decided to get rid of their monster size atrocity (http://www.timeslive.co.za/local/article511444.ece/Cape-Town-rsquo-s-monster-vuvuzela-silenced). And that it's replacing and destroying ANOTHER part of soccer culture -- group singing/chanting (http://g.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/world-cup/news/buzzkill-vuvuzelas-ruining-world-cup-experience--fbintl_ro-vuvuzela061410.html). You can't sing SHIT over that fucking thing. Some of the players can't even concentrate to play. .. and in a game as simple as soccer[/sarcasm] that's a hell of a distraction.

Ignorance is such an ugly accessory on a beautiful woman. Even worse if she doesn't know she's wearing it. :)

*Taylor*

..if a player cant concentrate to play over "that fucking thing" he shouldnt even be playing the game... because he is not fit to play the game...

TaylorMade
Jun 20, 2010, 11:49 AM
..if a player cant concentrate to play over "that fucking thing" he shouldnt even be playing the game... because he is not fit to play the game...

So, Ronaldo and Lionel Messi aren't fit to play the game?

Okay, you go on with that.

From the story that you prolly didn't read (http://g.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/world-cup/news/buzzkill-vuvuzelas-ruining-world-cup-experience--fbintl_ro-vuvuzela061410.html):

Furthermore, players admit they have struggled to concentrate amid the noise and there have been regular communication problems among teammates. Slovenia’s Samir Handanovic and Marko Suler screamed furiously at each other in their team’s victory over Algeria following a mixup that almost led to a goal for their opponent.

“It is impossible to communicate,” said Argentina’s Lionel Messi, the world’s best player. “It is like being deaf.”

<Snip>

“There is something missing,” star Cristiano Ronaldo said. “I like the atmosphere of football; it is beautiful. This is not beautiful.”

*Taylor*

tenni
Jun 20, 2010, 12:19 PM
What do you have to do to prepare your players to be World Cup category?

I'm not sure if this question is a separate thread or not. Darkeyes mentioned that Scotland did not qualify. Canada has not qualified since 1988 or something. As I wrote, soccer has become "the" game for kids. Leagues have developed here like wild fire. Last year, Canada hosted the under 20 equivalent of the World Cup and didn't win a game..:(

Young players developed in Canada who some think as World Cup standard go to play for another country.(usually cuz they qualify...children of immigrants or immigrants). They do not want to play for Canada perhaps because they do not see a chance of qualifying for the World Cup.

Some commentators say that it will be 2018 before Canada has a chance to qualify.

I understand that New Zealand has developed a very strong group of players in the past decade.

What type of development and support (both government and corporate) do countries who get in to the World Cup have?

darkeyes
Jun 20, 2010, 1:14 PM
What do you have to do to prepare your players to be World Cup category?

I'm not sure if this question is a separate thread or not. Darkeyes mentioned that Scotland did not qualify. Canada has not qualified since 1988 or something. As I wrote, soccer has become "the" game for kids. Leagues have developed here like wild fire. Last year, Canada hosted the under 20 equivalent of the World Cup and didn't win a game..:(

Young players developed in Canada who some think as World Cup standard go to play for another country.(usually cuz they qualify...children of immigrants or immigrants). They do not want to play for Canada perhaps because they do not see a chance of qualifying for the World Cup.

Some commentators say that it will be 2018 before Canada has a chance to qualify.

I understand that New Zealand has developed a very strong group of players in the past decade.

What type of development and support (both government and corporate) do countries who get in to the World Cup have?

..and didnt the All Whites do bloody well 'gainst Italy.. said its the sorta thing that makes fooball so fascinatin'.. well dun lads..

..2018 bout the time we mite have a team gud enuff 2 qualify Tenni.. so who knows.. World Cup Final Canada v Scotland at Wembley Sytadium in July 2018? A dream Tenni.. an dreams r gud things 2 hav...:)

mariersa
Jun 20, 2010, 1:23 PM

Wow.

*Taylor* geez a pissing contest
http://phonetic-blog.blogspot.com/2010/06/vuvuzla.html
okie dokie, I have learned in my very little time on the internet that Wiki is at best unreliable, even I have difficulty with peeps editing facts to their own pleasure. Afterall, just as with any instrument indeed you can inflict self-injury geez the nydailynews actually found "one" woman who hurt her throat, geez an epidemic. Use your own links. Aha is "Monster" the key word? "37meter vuvuzela" wtf is that, are those nuts down in the Cape trying to do, warn ships at sea, and actually it didn't bother Prince Harry (he's a doll):tongue: but slightly annoyed the other one(not surprised he's too much like his father), and what else Huyundai, ja the car folks seem to be the only ones that ventured capital into it:rolleyes: anything for a buck huh!!

Frankly the opinon of Martin Rogers of Yahoo Sports has little significance to most peeps in RSA, as in my previous post , he's just another bobble head but in print.

And oh, yes those poor English Fans who couldn't muster their usual boisterous chants and songs 1/ they didn't have much to cheer about 2/ there weren't many in the stadium to make a difference 3/ as i've alwys said, they need more baritones.

Actully if anyone group wanted to raise enough vocal hell, the vuvs would be in the background, so stop being annoyed with them, simply turn the volume on your TV down and wait for the half and listen to the analysis.

Guess I'm done pissing, excuse while I wipe and say toodledoo.

darkeyes
Jun 20, 2010, 1:27 PM
So, Ronaldo and Lionel Messi aren't fit to play the game?

Okay, you go on with that.

From the story that you prolly didn't read (http://g.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/world-cup/news/buzzkill-vuvuzelas-ruining-world-cup-experience--fbintl_ro-vuvuzela061410.html):

*Taylor*

..if they r complainin bout the racket at the stadia then no they r not.. hav been 2 Barcelona an heard the racket ther.. Parc de Prince an the racket ther an lotsa otha stadia from the old Wembley, Old Trafford, Anfield, St James Park 2Parkhead , Ibrox an the Stadium a Light in Lisbon as well as the ground a the same name in Sunderland.. players cope an the best of 'em thrive.. the atmosphere an the noise inspires them 2 great things on a football pitch.. I suspect they r makin excuses for a poor game no more.. they r human afta all.. an Rooney has played crap but least he hasn so far as me knos complained bout it.. besides hav Messi an Ronaldo sed they cant concentrate..they hav complained bout summat different altogether goin by ur post...

..so I stand by my comment..any player who cant concentrate because of the noise (and other distractions) around him is unfit to play the game.. much the same as in any other sport or for that matter profession or job..

darkeyes
Jun 20, 2010, 1:37 PM
geez a pissing contest
okie dokie, I have learned in my very little time on the internet that Wiki is at best unreliable, even I have difficulty with peeps editing facts to their own pleasure. Afterall, just as with any instrument indeed you can inflict self-injury geez the nydailynews actually found "one" woman who hurt her throat, geez an epidemic. Use your own links. Aha is "Monster" the key word? "37meter vuvuzela" wtf is that, are those nuts down in the Cape trying to do, warn ships at sea, and actually it didn't bother Prince Harry (he's a doll):tongue: but slightly annoyed the other one(not surprised he's too much like his father), and what else Huyundai, ja the car folks seem to be the only ones that ventured capital into it:rolleyes: anything for a buck huh!!

Frankly the opinon of Martin Rogers of Yahoo Sports has little significance to most peeps in RSA, as in my previous post , he's just another bobble head but in print.

And oh, yes those poor English Fans who couldn't muster their usual boisterous chants and songs 1/ they didn't have much to cheer about 2/ there weren't many in the stadium to make a difference 3/ as i've alwys said, they need more baritones.

Actully if anyone group wanted to raise enough vocal hell, the vuvs would be in the background, so stop being annoyed with them, simply turn the volume on your TV down and wait for the half and listen to the analysis.

Tee hee..u tell 'er Mars.. did mean 2 say soz bout the Germans otha day.. nev mind they'll b ok an will still get through..doubt they'll win it but they'll go a round or 2 yet..:)

TaylorMade
Jun 20, 2010, 2:45 PM
geez a pissing contest

I don't usually go up against unarmed individuals. But okay... <courtly bow>

It seems you're engaged in a case of smear the messenger. We're not in a college class or defending a scientific thesis so your aspersions against Wikipedia seem a little desperate, to say the least. And they DO have those nice little things called CITATIONS, which lead to the original article or website to back up their claims.

I wasn't even trying when I was looking for cases of vuvuzela injury. The one with the throat rupture was the most extreme, no doubt. But when soccer players... GOOD soccer players, have a problem trying to play with the noise from the damned thing - maybe this is an actual problem that could change the nature of the game for the worse. If you read the article instead of ignorantly dismissing the writer, you would know this.

So marie, yes, you are done pissing. Please get a new pair of panties and wipe up the floor.

I hate it when people get all wee-weed up.

*Taylor*

TaylorMade
Jun 20, 2010, 2:48 PM
..if they r complainin bout the racket at the stadia then no they r not.. hav been 2 Barcelona an heard the racket ther.. Parc de Prince an the racket ther an lotsa otha stadia from the old Wembley, Old Trafford, Anfield, St James Park 2Parkhead , Ibrox an the Stadium a Light in Lisbon as well as the ground a the same name in Sunderland.. players cope an the best of 'em thrive.. the atmosphere an the noise inspires them 2 great things on a football pitch.. I suspect they r makin excuses for a poor game no more.. they r human afta all.. an Rooney has played crap but least he hasn so far as me knos complained bout it.. besides hav Messi an Ronaldo sed they cant concentrate..they hav complained bout summat different altogether goin by ur post...

..so I stand by my comment..any player who cant concentrate because of the noise (and other distractions) around him is unfit to play the game.. much the same as in any other sport or for that matter profession or job..

Said they can't concentrate due to the noise created by the vuvuzela... Come on, fran, I know you can read.

Wow... for all your defense of the beautiful game. . .you disrespect the players once they say something you don't like.

What a joke.

*Taylor*

csrakate
Jun 20, 2010, 4:30 PM
The noise made by those horns is so horrendous on television...I can only imagine what it sounds like in real life. It has to be painful to the ears and it must rattle the brain and that may very well be the intent of the horn blowing. So yes...that is a distraction that seems a bit unfair to me....no matter how good of a player you are.

darkeyes
Jun 20, 2010, 7:48 PM
Said they can't concentrate due to the noise created by the vuvuzela... Come on, fran, I know you can read.

Wow... for all your defense of the beautiful game. . .you disrespect the players once they say something you don't like.

What a joke.

*Taylor*

Yep me can read ok Taylor..Messi sed they wer deafenin an made it hard 2 communicate..Ronaldo that it wos ruinin the beautiful game an 'didn like the atmosphere..the horn thingies r not beautiful.. yep me can read..an comprehend.. wot they sed wos not that they cudn concentrate... an can accept wot they sed.. thats not disrespectin players.. no doubt some will find it hard 2 concentrate... but they r professional footballers an they r paid 2 cope wiv all conditions they r faced wiv..an if they cant..they shudn b there..

BTW BBC is doctorin ther broadcasts an the hornie noise has been damped down.. havn made me mind up wetha its made it betta or not for the viewer..cos apart from the horns the rest a the atmosphere has gone as well.. price we pay..so we hav switched off the sound an r wotchin it wivout commentary.. not sure thats ne betta eitha.. even tho me h8s commentary on telly..

darkeyes
Jun 20, 2010, 7:56 PM
Wotched Brazil an Ivory Coast.. triff in 2cd haff... but got a stirrin that dusn happen much these days... isn KaKa BLOODY GORGE!!!!!!! JD has a rival....:tong: An the ref shud b hung drawn an quartered (metaphorical only..but 'e shud b sent 'ome for a stupid decision for summat 'e didn even c..) for sendin 'im off... wot a bloody travesty.. quite ruined me wotchin... an Kate wos no betta..she sat every time he wos on ball wiv 'er tongue hangin out an wiv the ver heavy breathin... bloody tart...:tong:

sammie19
Jun 21, 2010, 5:25 AM
isn KaKa BLOODY GORGE!!!!!!! JD has a rival....:tong:

Auntie Flan! I am shocked!!!!:eek:

darkeyes
Jun 21, 2010, 10:26 AM
Auntie Flan! I am shocked!!!!:eek:

Look, little girl.. don't read what isn't there.. but havin sed that...he bloody well is..an 'is smile don haff make me weak at knees... :tong:

mariersa
Jun 25, 2010, 12:17 AM
What Happened?? I posted a response to Taylors input?? about 13:15 yesterday it's not here???? Hmmm

todaystheday
Jun 25, 2010, 12:46 AM
I don't see the big deal about the horns. The vuvluzulas are one of the best things at the world cup.Only thing cooler would be steel drums and bagpipes.It sounds like a CFL(Canadian Football League) game on steroids. Its a lot better than flares going off. I can bet that you will see vuvuzulas creeping into the MLS as the season progresses. The other thing about world cup is that its the only time its ok to make fun of someone from another country, bonjour France, ciao Italia.:eek:

mariersa
Jun 25, 2010, 12:49 AM
I don't see the big deal about the horns. It sounds like a CFL(Canadian Football League) game on steroids. Its a lot better than flares going off. I can bet that you will see vuvuzulas creeping into the MLS as the season progresses. The other thing about world cup is that its the only time its ok to make fun of someone from another country, bonjour France, ciao Italia.:eek:

Adios ( that's Texan) to both of them, teehee:eek:

Yes you're correct, make fun of those stupids, is it a media thingy?

lovescum2
Jun 25, 2010, 12:50 AM
lets just say if you like sports you find it exciting and if you don't you won't.

Lets also say that depending where you grew up and what sports they play there, thats what you'll get interested in and those that they don't play you won't.

So for American's it Baseball, Football, Basketball.....and...Soccer is down on the list but rising.

For the rest of the World its Football (Soccer)

Does that about sum it up :)

darkeyes
Jun 25, 2010, 4:18 AM
Me bet for World Cup based on wot me seen so far? Netherlands..who so far hav dun only wot they needed 2... Argentina hav played by far best footie but reckon they will cop it cos ther so many gaps in ther defence in a cup tie they cud b in reel trouble..

Talkin a Holland, wen me wos bout 18 or 19 this dutch guy asked me for directions 2 get 2 Forth Road Bridge..he had big posh car wich wos ratha nice..since it wos on way 'ome Fran bein the tart she is..well..wos.. offered 2 show him way..ratha cute an ver olive skinned..deep sexy voice wiv heavy accent.. recognised 'im rite away.. Gio Van Bronckhorst who wos a "Hun" at time.. jumped in car an thot.." Ya cracked it 'ere girl".. well so much for crackin it..we got 2 Barnton an 'e sed "Ahh I know where I am now..this is where u live isnt it?" So the sod pulled up an dropped me off thankin me for me help... bloody Huns..untrustworthy lot!!!!! Cant rely on the buggas for nowt!!

darkeyes
Jun 25, 2010, 6:28 AM
Adios ( that's Texan) to both of them, teehee:eek:

Yes you're correct, make fun of those stupids, is it a media thingy?

Tellya this Mars..1st person 2 blow 1a these hornie things in me ear'ole at Tynie won eva hear a word ne 1 sez 2 'im eva gain afta me bawls in 'is shell likes.. an hav a cuppla m8s who mite introduce it 2 'is tonsils.. from below.. an wide end 1st..

_Joe_
Jun 25, 2010, 10:57 AM
It's upsetting the only way I can watch it is on Telemundo, where I can't understand 75% of what's being said or so.

the US press simply doesn't give two shits about the sport, so how do you expect the people to get into it ?

darkeyes
Jun 25, 2010, 11:09 AM
It's upsetting the only way I can watch it is on Telemundo, where I can't understand 75% of what's being said or so.
the US press simply doesn't give two shits about the sport, so how do you expect the people to get into it ?
Then why Joe have all those Americans spent their hard earned dosh to go to South Africa and support the USA in a sport they hate and in far greater numbers than any other team apart from the hosts? Interesting isnt it?

darkeyes
Jun 27, 2010, 12:07 PM
Then why Joe have all those Americans spent their hard earned dosh to go to South Africa and support the USA in a sport they hate and in far greater numbers than any other team apart from the hosts? Interesting isnt it?

Just a minute or so ago, England fell flat on their faces.. ignore a terrific goal scored by them ruled as not having crossed the line (shades of 1966 only then it counted and much more contentiously))(time for goal line technology to be introduced I think..and long overdue). They were out outthought and outfought, outplayed and swept aside by a side with better technique and far superior organisation and infinitely greater imagination.. Am I pleased? Yes.. do I gloat? No..I dont gloat at humiliation and this was abject humiliation.. but it shuts my mum and her family up and that is a good thing.. it quietens down the belief south of the border that in things football they are the greatest thing since sliced bread and stops their strutting about in the superior manner of a footballing master race for a little while at least.. pompous arrogance laid low..

..maybe now England will begin to realise English football is only as good as it is because of the foreign influx, and although nowhere as near badly affected as my own country's football by this, their home born players are nowhere near as good as they believe them to be and that without those foreign players, their football is very modest indeed..

ldner
Jun 27, 2010, 12:42 PM
The world cup is so passe now; i can't believe you people are still talking about it. #hopes no one will notice where he is filing from#

jamieknyc
Jun 27, 2010, 12:52 PM
There are three job requirements to be a soccer referee:
(1) You must be blind
(2) You must be deaf
(3) Your IQ must be lower than the score of the game

darkeyes
Jun 27, 2010, 4:38 PM
There are three job requirements to be a soccer referee:
(1) You must be blind
(2) You must be deaf
(3) Your IQ must be lower than the score of the gameBlind an deaf certainly Jamie..but quite a few refs r quite cerebral.. howeva..1 condition of the job is bein a bloody bastard... every football fan knows this.. but I cant remember any competition with so many blind, deaf, stupid bastards officiatin at games in me life.. an the linesmen..sorry ..assistant refs are just as bloody bad as could be seen so blatantly at the Argentine/Mexico game..

Pasadenacpl2
Jun 27, 2010, 8:54 PM
Most sports have a method of dealing with this issue. One would think that with so much riding on the World Cup, that it would be addressed. FIFA seems to have it's head up it's ass.

I will admit that I have only a passing understanding of it's rules...but they seem to be nonesense to me. And I'm a sports fanatic of just about any sport (except soccer). There are certain truisms to professional sports of all kinds...except soccer. One is that referees don't decide games.

Pasa

darkeyes
Jun 28, 2010, 6:12 AM
Most sports have a method of dealing with this issue. One would think that with so much riding on the World Cup, that it would be addressed. FIFA seems to have it's head up it's ass.

I will admit that I have only a passing understanding of it's rules...but they seem to be nonesense to me. And I'm a sports fanatic of just about any sport (except soccer). There are certain truisms to professional sports of all kinds...except soccer. One is that referees don't decide games.

Pasa

Yep..FIFA most certainly is unable to see very clearly because of where its head resides... but continental and national associations keep their bonces in much the same place... so its not unusual.

However Pasa, as such referees do not decide games.. players and teams decide games.. referees make decisions on what they think they see assisted by what are now referred to as assistant referees (hate that expression) and a refereeing or line decision taken in the heat of the moment may decide a game.. but just as you and I may see the same event through different eyes so therefore do refs , players and fans... many of the decisions of refs are crazy..thats how we as fans see it.. how players see it. So many decisions are controversial and there is a strong case to be made that for the most controversial and questionable goal mouth decisions at the very least, a technoogical aid to referees is essential.. the sport has grown up over a century and half without technology and from before technology existed.. matches, cups and championships have been won and lost because of bad refereeing decisions, and this will always be at the lower levels of the sport.. but at the very highest levels, there is away to minimise this by using technology.. but God..am I going to hate it when the Jambos lose out because of it...

darkeyes
Jun 28, 2010, 7:50 AM
..and pasa me luffly.. forgot 2 say.. the rules r owt but perfect.. but a nonsense? No moren ne otha sport..certainly no moren a sport wich calls itself football wer havin the ball atya feet is more rare than a lion bein big m8s wiv an impala...

jamieknyc
Jun 28, 2010, 8:52 AM
Yep..FIFA most certainly is unable to see very clearly because of where its head resides... but continental and national associations keep their bonces in much the same place... so its not unusual.

However Pasa, as such referees do not decide games.. players and teams decide games.. referees make decisions on what they think they see assisted by what are now referred to as assistant referees (hate that expression) and a refereeing or line decision taken in the heat of the moment may decide a game.. but just as you and I may see the same event through different eyes so therefore do refs , players and fans... many of the decisions of refs are crazy..thats how we as fans see it.. how players see it. So many decisions are controversial and there is a strong case to be made that for the most controversial and questionable goal mouth decisions at the very least, a technoogical aid to referees is essential.. the sport has grown up over a century and half without technology and from before technology existed.. matches, cups and championships have been won and lost because of bad refereeing decisions, and this will always be at the lower levels of the sport.. but at the very highest levels, there is away to minimise this by using technology.. but God..am I going to hate it when the Jambos lose out because of it...

Don't worry about it. The organized crime syndicates who pull the real strings in soccer won't allow it, because they will no longer be able to fix games.

darkeyes
Jun 28, 2010, 10:45 AM
Don't worry about it. The organized crime syndicates who pull the real strings in soccer won't allow it, because they will no longer be able to fix games.Football like any other team sport is very difficult to fix Jamie.. there are simply too many variables to make it easy, but it is not impossible..and it has happened, no doubt is happening and will happen again.. just like in every other team sport where huge sums of money are involved, including baseball and American football.. certainly there are instances of players and officials taking bribes to try and fix or at least influence the result of matches, but the game is remarkably clear of it.

Like in any other walk of life there is corruption in football, but if you have any evidence that it is rife, which is what you are inferring, I suggest that you provide it.. all true football lovers would appreciate it.. but I do wish you wouldnt make broad allegations like that unless you do have the evidence.. as a lawyer you should know better.. or maybe as a lawyer you do, although I very much doubt it..

darkeyes
Jun 28, 2010, 12:06 PM
Jus lissened 2 end of Holland an Slovakia on me fone..me doin well this time round.. tween me tenner at bookies on Brazil 2 win the World Cup an the Netherlands in office sweep.. me has gud chance a winnin a few quid by time its alll ova... office sweep wud b best.. if Holland win a neat 120 quid on a 2 quid outlay..cool...:bigrin:

Only prob is..school hols start at weekend an so.. cant get me winnins till next term... sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh:( Me knos..bein a lil previous 'ere..but nowt like optimism an if me is ne thin..its an optimist..:bigrin:

darkeyes
Jun 28, 2010, 4:48 PM
Yea yea..me knos the US an England an Oz an NZ r long gone.. an we nev got ther in 1st place..but come onnnnn.. me has money on who wins this... an on Friday Holland an Brazil fite out for the honour a who is gonna win it for me.. bein mercenary cow, wud ratha it wos the Dutch but havin wotched KaKa (sighhhhhhh) an Brazil 2nite me reckons am gonna havta settle for the 60 quid or so Brazil r gonna win for me.. ratha hav 118 quid profit but looks like 60 gonna havta do... :tong:

..am sure me can find summat ratha adorable 2 buy for a mere 60 quid...:bigrin:

innaminka
Jun 28, 2010, 7:36 PM
have a saver on your money Darkeyes.

There a team in sky blue and white that is managed by an eccentric little bearded fat guy that just seem to be doing everything right.

But as gay as I am am, Kaka can come and teach me to do headers anyday he likes........... :love:

darkeyes
Jun 28, 2010, 7:57 PM
have a saver on your money Darkeyes.

There a team in sky blue and white that is managed by an eccentric little bearded fat guy that just seem to be doing everything right.

But as gay as I am am, Kaka can come and teach me to do headers anyday he likes........... :love:

The little bugger had better not screw up my bets.. his "hand of god "act against England all those years ago wont save his skin if he and his lot lose me me sweep or me bet...;)

Seriously though you are right..they have been summat else so far.. and they and Germany do worry me just a tadge.. but having seen the Brazilians tonight, they have two things the wee man and the Argentine dont have... a defence and a hard edge... three if u count Kaka:tong:

...and gay as I am... KaKa can come and help me out on the heading front an all...:tong:

jamieknyc
Jun 28, 2010, 8:12 PM
Football like any other team sport is very difficult to fix Jamie.. there are simply too many variables to make it easy, but it is not impossible..and it has happened, no doubt is happening and will happen again.. just like in every other team sport where huge sums of money are involved, including baseball and American football.. certainly there are instances of players and officials taking bribes to try and fix or at least influence the result of matches, but the game is remarkably clear of it.

Like in any other walk of life there is corruption in football, but if you have any evidence that it is rife, which is what you are inferring, I suggest that you provide it.. all true football lovers would appreciate it.. but I do wish you wouldnt make broad allegations like that unless you do have the evidence.. as a lawyer you should know better.. or maybe as a lawyer you do, although I very much doubt it..

Don't be funny, there have been game-fixing scandals in some of the biggest leagues in intertnational soccer, and you know it. I won't even get into 'narco-soccer' in Latin America.

cumscreaming68
Jun 29, 2010, 1:41 AM
I got interested soccer while I was stationed in Germany in 1975. Germany is going to win it all.:bowdown:

darkeyes
Jun 29, 2010, 4:59 AM
Don't be funny, there have been game-fixing scandals in some of the biggest leagues in intertnational soccer, and you know it. I won't even get into 'narco-soccer' in Latin America.

I know it is not free of corruption that it is happening and know that it is anything but rare.. after some of the refereeing and line decisions in the World Cup maybe even there right now.. and no one in Europe can deny it after the Italian fiasco.. but even then, where we disagree is the degree to which it occurs.. no sport is free of it sadly..

darkeyes
Jun 29, 2010, 5:01 AM
I got interested soccer while I was stationed in Germany in 1975. Germany is going to win it all.:bowdown:

..well..that'll cost me a packet.. but it has 1 bright spot.. it won haff annoy the English side a the family...:bigrin:

Pasadenacpl2
Jun 29, 2010, 8:08 AM
Football like any other team sport is very difficult to fix Jamie.. there are simply too many variables to make it easy, but it is not impossible..and it has happened, no doubt is happening and will happen again.. just like in every other team sport where huge sums of money are involved, including baseball and American football.. certainly there are instances of players and officials taking bribes to try and fix or at least influence the result of matches, but the game is remarkably clear of it.

Like in any other walk of life there is corruption in football, but if you have any evidence that it is rife, which is what you are inferring, I suggest that you provide it.. all true football lovers would appreciate it.. but I do wish you wouldn't make broad allegations like that unless you do have the evidence.. as a lawyer you should know better.. or maybe as a lawyer you do, although I very much doubt it..

I disagree. It is not like any other sport. Any other sport has instant replay, and a way to appeal. It has requirements that it's referees meet. FIFA does not have any of this. The ref doesn't even have to say who committed the foul, or what the foul actually was. Also, this is not like any other sport in that a match can easily be fixed. Just get one ref on the take.

I'll also disagree that this is like any other sport with the amount or depth of this problem. In baseball, they throw you out for life if they even suspect. Baseball protects the integrity of the game like it's a religious tenet. The NFL is nearly impossible to fix, and their refs go through extensive screening, and there are appeals inside the game to ensure the refs get it right. The amount of instant replay for the NHL is staggering, and the refs pretty much keep out of the way (they believe that if you're a hockey player, you can take a bit of pain) unless its blatant. The NBA is the only other professional sport I can think of that has refs that do a bad job on a regular basis, and have players that flop to get their attention. And it is not nearly as prevalent.

I don't know that FIFA is corrupt. I chalk it up to badly written rules, a disregard for truth, and a disregard for the integrity of the game. I will not say that anyone is on the take. I'd rather think of it as referees being incompetent than cheating. But if the ref who threw the US game were found to have been on the take, I wouldn't be shocked, either.

Pasa

darkeyes
Jun 29, 2010, 1:26 PM
I disagree. It is not like any other sport. Any other sport has instant replay, and a way to appeal. It has requirements that it's referees meet. FIFA does not have any of this. The ref doesn't even have to say who committed the foul, or what the foul actually was. Also, this is not like any other sport in that a match can easily be fixed. Just get one ref on the take.

I'll also disagree that this is like any other sport with the amount or depth of this problem. In baseball, they throw you out for life if they even suspect. Baseball protects the integrity of the game like it's a religious tenet. The NFL is nearly impossible to fix, and their refs go through extensive screening, and there are appeals inside the game to ensure the refs get it right. The amount of instant replay for the NHL is staggering, and the refs pretty much keep out of the way (they believe that if you're a hockey player, you can take a bit of pain) unless its blatant. The NBA is the only other professional sport I can think of that has refs that do a bad job on a regular basis, and have players that flop to get their attention. And it is not nearly as prevalent.

I don't know that FIFA is corrupt. I chalk it up to badly written rules, a disregard for truth, and a disregard for the integrity of the game. I will not say that anyone is on the take. I'd rather think of it as referees being incompetent than cheating. But if the ref who threw the US game were found to have been on the take, I wouldn't be shocked, either.

Pasa

All sport has the capacity to be fixed.. even American football or baseball..whether it be by referee or player that capacity for corruption is there.. but your right..as far as we can we should have in place ways and means of minimising it..it will never be eliminated entirely but it can be minimised..

Regarding football, the laws are in the main fine..they are not badly worded or vague.. referees, coaches and players are coached incessantly on their meaning and interpretation.. whether Fifa is corrupt is another issue..like in great body in sport the opportunity is certainly there..Blatter as the boss man leaves a lot to be desired certainly.. as do the senior officials in many sports..

Football as a game relies on ebb and flow to make it the spectacle it is when at its best.. and at its best it is, like rugby a spectacle.. to some degree what FIFA have always concerned themselves with is by introducing and utilising technology, interrupting that ebb and flow and making the game less of a spectacle.. those of us who love the game are also concerned about this and the thought of interrupting the game every 10 or 15 seconds to consult a telly screen to make sure a decsion is right is just not on.. what is important, is that the really major decisions in a game are right.. whether a foul is a penalty or free kick outside the box, serious fouling which may require a sending off, or not require a sending off..many players have been sent off for nothing... KaKa for one in this World Cup and several players have gotten away with murder.. and whther or not a goal is a goal. Football grew up without technology, with referees and linesmen in charge of matches and often getting things wrong but more often than not getting them right by eye....but there has always been controversy and it is time at least some of this controversy is eliminated from the game.. goal mouth incidenents and more contentious issues as outlined above being reviewed by technology.. the problem then arises is when do you stop a match? A referee may stop a match at the wrong point.. and consequently lose an attacking, or even a defending side an advantage.. had for instance the ball not crossed the line in the England/Germany game on Sunday, and Germany had broken away free with only the goalie to beat, protests by the England team and a wrong flagging by the linesman could have stopped the game and cost the Germans a goal.. yes we want to see justice and right decisions but sometimes what appears to be a right decision can be a wrong decision.. it could of course help determine more clearly offside decisions but as any football fan knows equally it could confuse the issue on many more..

I do agree on introducing technology.. absolutely and without question.. I do however not wish to see it introduced on the minutiae or most of the lesser although still important decisions.. these must still be in the hands of referee and linesmen.. the ebb and flow of football must remain if football is to survive.. and what we must remember is that we are really only talking about the highest echelons of the sport.. international and major club football.. the lower levels such as Scottish Junior or semi professional lesser league football, and in England and many other countries non league football, clubs simply do not have the resources to install the equipment as many are run on a shoe string.. indeed the Scottish lower leagues have attendances in many cases of less than a thousand people.. some have as few as hundred paying customers.. similar problems are encountered by lower league and semi professional leagues around the world.. but technology is essential for major competitions..we have to get it right though or we ruin the game..

One last point.. the introduction of technology can in fact be an aid to corrupt officials as much as not having it.. the variation of the German/ English situation I outlined about being one such example..an official stopping a game at the wrong point can influence the course of a match just as much as a corrupt official declaring a non goal a goal or vice versa without it.. FIFA has to get it right... nothing else will do.. but there will still be controversy..

innaminka
Jun 29, 2010, 7:29 PM
Re technology.

I don't think anyone is advocating the use of video foe every decision a la American Football.

In Oz, in Rugby League, the technology is used only to adjudicate on close tries.
The video ref only makes one decision - Try or No Try.
The rest is left to the ref.

I think the same should be used in Football/Soccer. Goal/No Goal.
And possibly Red Cards as there have been a few RC's handed out completely incorrectly.

Its possibly th one blight on the World Cup. The umpiring standard does not match the quality of the players, as European A-Listers are subjected to sub-standard refs from Lower Slobovia and such places.
There should be a panel of only the best refs used.b Not open to all nations as a placebo for not bing in the WC finals.

darkeyes
Jun 29, 2010, 8:16 PM
Re technology.

I don't think anyone is advocating the use of video foe every decision a la American Football.

In Oz, in Rugby League, the technology is used only to adjudicate on close tries.
The video ref only makes one decision - Try or No Try.
The rest is left to the ref.

I think the same should be used in Football/Soccer. Goal/No Goal.
And possibly Red Cards as there have been a few RC's handed out completely incorrectly.

Its possibly th one blight on the World Cup. The umpiring standard does not match the quality of the players, as European A-Listers are subjected to sub-standard refs from Lower Slobovia and such places.
There should be a panel of only the best refs used.b Not open to all nations as a placebo for not bing in the WC finals.

It works the same in Rugby League here Innaminka.. the term we use here is goal line technology when referring to football (such as the pictures we got for Lampard's non goal against the Germans).. the difference between RL and football is that football is much more fluid in its flow. A try or a claimed try in rugby league, and usually in union(debated or otherwise) is the end of a natural flow of movement. In football, a claimed goal such as occurred in the England German game is not necessarily the end of a natural flow of movement but it is in the middle or even earlier sometimes.. my variation of this in my previous post explains this a little more clearly i think and illustrates at least one problem which can occur because of the use of technology.. I agree we are talking about mainly, goal line technology..more and we potentially ruin the sport.

The refereeing standard has been at the very least less than satisfactory..a few refs have been excellent but so many are quite simply card happy and foul blind.. it is an area FIFA really are going to have to look at again because while it hasnt ruined the finals, it has certainly taken a lot away from it..

chook
Jun 29, 2010, 8:24 PM
Anyone for Dwarf throwing?????????? :smilies15

Cheers Chook :bigrin:

darkeyes
Jun 29, 2010, 8:26 PM
Anyone for Dwarf throwing?????????? :smilies15

Cheers Chook :bigrin:

Dunno Chookie.. but kno at least 1 lil person who has a habit a gettin chucked from pillar 2 post at times..:tong:

Pasadenacpl2
Jun 29, 2010, 10:56 PM
The match is stopped anytime a foul is called (I believe you call it yellow and red carding). Technology could be used for that.

The US match where the ref called a foul on the US as a goal was being scored. The match stopped anyway. At the very least, the ref would have to say EXACTLY what the foul was, EXACTLY who committed it, and the replay would either confirm or deny it. This would not affect the ebb or the flow of the game.

Pasa

darkeyes
Jun 30, 2010, 7:13 AM
The match is stopped anytime a foul is called (I believe you call it yellow and red carding). Technology could be used for that.

The US match where the ref called a foul on the US as a goal was being scored. The match stopped anyway. At the very least, the ref would have to say EXACTLY what the foul was, EXACTLY who committed it, and the replay would either confirm or deny it. This would not affect the ebb or the flow of the game.

Pasa

No we don't.. we call it fouling.. a yellow card is a booking, and a second yellow card means a sending off..for which a yellow and then a red card is shown. Yellow cards are given for all kinds of lesser fouls and other offences (such as throwing the ball away, time wasting or arguing with the ref) or persistent fouling. A straight red card for serious fouls or something like thumping another player (or even the ref..thats happened too) and the player has been sent off.

..and God forbid for every foul, we see committed we use technology... there are other decisions which it could be used for.. but the question is should we allow it for every decision a referee or linesman has to make??? Maybe for some serious or contentious kinds, but never all.. what is most contentious are goal mouth or penalty box incidents and in that case I have no objection.. but never for ordinary run of the mill fouling.. the game lives because it is fluid.. stopping a game every 10 or 15 seconds because of what may or may not be a foul or some other technical infringement and giving refs no discretion whatever would turn the game into one long drawn out bore and a farce. There is an argument that technology can be used if and when referee thinks a player should be sent of.. several have been in this world cup for nothing at all, and quite a number booked. It probably should be (though I doubt FIFA UEFA or any national association will wear this..but who knows) used for such decisions, and it should certainly be used for disciplinary panels when deciding guilt, innnocence or punishment for a player's alleged misdemeanors on the pitch.

gooniegoogoo
Jun 30, 2010, 9:16 AM
:bigrin:

Nev mind Pasa.. footie can b borin sometimes.. even me admits that..spesh wen the Jambos get gubbed..

..but hav been in a scrum or 2 wiv a few rugby lads in me time an ver nice it wos 2 me seems 2 memba.. an 1 ratha delish rugby lock.. who wos very forward (tee hee) an a ver gud scrummager an all.. on an off the field.. an in the loose.. God.. but in a maul she wos heaven..:tong:

What was this again about knocking Holland out of the world-cup, Dark? :D

darkeyes
Jun 30, 2010, 5:23 PM
What was this again about knocking Holland out of the world-cup, Dark? :D

Ya havta talk confident an brave, Blackie me darlin, even if ya kno yas gonna gerra gud gubbin.. waya he world.. but if u lot beat Brazil.. an then blow it in the semi or final..believe me.. won hesitate 2 bring Cleave outa retirement an pay ya a visit togetha wiv picklin vinegar an pickle jar... u will hav cost me dosh.. at least 60 quid plus me stake.. an that is hard 2 forgive wen me has me eye on a luffly paira shoes.....:eek:

gooniegoogoo
Jul 2, 2010, 1:56 PM
Ya havta talk confident an brave, Blackie me darlin, even if ya kno yas gonna gerra gud gubbin.. waya he world.. but if u lot beat Brazil.. an then blow it in the semi or final..believe me.. won hesitate 2 bring Cleave outa retirement an pay ya a visit togetha wiv picklin vinegar an pickle jar... u will hav cost me dosh.. at least 60 quid plus me stake.. an that is hard 2 forgive wen me has me eye on a luffly paira shoes.....:eek:

Halfway there! :D

darkeyes
Jul 2, 2010, 2:23 PM
Halfway there! :D

*sigh*.. no more KaKa... :(

*screams loudly wiv joy*.. but me 118 quid is still on.. yeaaaaaaaaaaaaa. Can jus feel them shoes on me feet..AND wiv the extra 58 quid.. *thinks*.. wot else can me splash out on???*:rolleyes:

Now don u DARE blow it now Blackie.. yas doin Fran proud so far.. 2 games hun.. me can jus 'ear an feel all that luffly dosh in me purse an the shops beckonin...:bigrin:

Canticle
Jul 4, 2010, 2:57 AM
*sigh*.. no more KaKa... :(

*screams loudly wiv joy*.. but me 118 quid is still on.. yeaaaaaaaaaaaaa. Can jus feel them shoes on me feet..AND wiv the extra 58 quid.. *thinks*.. wot else can me splash out on???*:rolleyes:

Now don u DARE blow it now Blackie.. yas doin Fran proud so far.. 2 games hun.. me can jus 'ear an feel all that luffly dosh in me purse an the shops beckonin...:bigrin:

I am pleased to say that I have neither seen, nor heard any football matches. All has been quiet. :):):):)

darkeyes
Jul 4, 2010, 9:21 AM
I am pleased to say that I have neither seen, nor heard any football matches. All has been quiet. :):):):)

Well u can b pleased allya like Canticle me luffly.. but wetha or not the Netherlands beat the Germans.. an then go on 2 win me me sweep.. we travellin 2 France on World Cup final day for our hols...... didn plan that 2 well did we?? Sighhhhhhh:(

Canticle
Jul 4, 2010, 10:58 AM
Well u can b pleased allya like Canticle me luffly.. but wetha or not the Netherlands beat the Germans.. an then go on 2 win me me sweep.. we travellin 2 France on World Cup final day for our hols...... didn plan that 2 well did we?? Sighhhhhhh:(

Oh dear! Just hope that all the football fans, will have flown to South Africa.

Cricket!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hehe :tong:

gooniegoogoo
Jul 4, 2010, 3:44 PM

That's more for the whole spectacle than the game itself. The atmosphere in the stadium is quite different than watching it on TV.

nsabimale
Jul 4, 2010, 8:32 PM
Great to see bi and sports minded folks!

Go Germany! woo hoo....have been LOVING watching the soccer .... the best thing since NASCAR (sorry if that offends anyone) and the Olympics!

gooniegoogoo
Jul 5, 2010, 4:28 AM
Great to see bi and sports minded folks!

Go Germany! woo hoo....have been LOVING watching the soccer .... the best thing since NASCAR (sorry if that offends anyone) and the Olympics!

Netherlands will finally have their revenge for 1974. IF they beat Uruguay tomorrow, that is.

darkeyes
Jul 5, 2010, 5:45 PM
Netherlands will finally have their revenge for 1974. IF they beat Uruguay tomorrow, that is.

Sum peeps don care wetha ya beat the Germans or not an so gain "revenge" for summat that happened b4 she wos born.. sum peeps jus give care wetha or not she gonna win 118 quid an get 'er shoes (an mayb a lil more) wivout dippin inta 'er own money an avoid gettin scowled at for bein frivolous an a spendthrift......:tong:

Uraguay tho r nowt if not a lukky team.. so Fran is NOT countin' 'er chicks but 'er fingies r well an truly x'd...:rolleyes:

gooniegoogoo
Jul 5, 2010, 6:32 PM
Sum peeps don care wetha ya beat the Germans or not an so gain "revenge" for summat that happened b4 she wos born.. sum peeps jus give care wetha or not she gonna win 118 quid an get 'er shoes (an mayb a lil more) wivout dippin inta 'er own money an avoid gettin scowled at for bein frivolous an a spendthrift......:tong:

Uraguay tho r nowt if not a lukky team.. so Fran is NOT countin' 'er chicks but 'er fingies r well an truly x'd...:rolleyes:

Franny, if Holland wins, *I* would even buy your shoes for you. :)

darkeyes
Jul 5, 2010, 8:07 PM
Franny, if Holland wins, *I* would even buy your shoes for you. :)

Now thers an idea... now wot can me spend 118 quid on???:tong:

darkeyes
Jul 6, 2010, 4:50 PM
Rite Blackie.. 1 game.. 90 or 120 mins + pens 2 go... don care who they beat in final.. jus betta do it!!! Can jus hear the rustle a them notes now....:bigrin:

The world is orange :tong:. Did me reely say that?? God hope nobody sees!!!! No self respectin Jambo wud ev speak 2 me ev gain!! An me dad wud zip up 'is wallet!!!!:eek: Naaa will b ok.. they kno wot me means..:)

JulianForFun
Jul 6, 2010, 7:11 PM
Hi all soccer fans!

I just saw this today as a topic. Wicked.

I am a big time German fan in all world cups. I am very happy with my team thus far this time. Young, dynamic, well coached, wicked attack, great defence, a combination of various styles all played as a team.. What is not to like? Watch out! Another test comes tommorrow. I feel they have what it takes to beat Spain and go all the way. A German Dutch final would be awesome!:eek:

darkeyes
Jul 6, 2010, 8:21 PM
Hi all soccer fans!

I am a big time German fan in all world cups. I am very happy with my team thus far this time. Young, dynamic, well coached, wicked attack, great defence, a combination of various styles all played as a team.. What is not to like? Watch out! Another test comes tommorrow. I feel they have what it takes to beat Spain and go all the way. A German Dutch final would be awesome!:eek:

Poor deluded sod...;):tong:

darkeyes
Jul 7, 2010, 4:44 PM
Hi all soccer fans!

Yep..deluded..passed off the park an made 2 look like clod hoppin amateurs.. credit 2 them for their fitin till the last but they wer outclassed by a Spanish side lite years ahead.. still they r yung an in 4 years they will b a threat.. an havin wotched Spain pass the ball round like a dream.. can c me 118 quid an me shoes goin down the Swanee..:( Dus that mean me gonna havta dip inta me own funds 2 get 'em? An will they still b ther wen me gets back from me hols??:rolleyes:

Or dus that mean me will jus hav lil looksee round the Paris shops an c wots on offer for me poor lickle tootsies? AND at me own expense... *sigh*.. can the Netherlands win it for me? Yep.. will they?? Afta 2 nite.. don think so..:( But as the man says..who knos..its a funny ole game. football...:)

niftyshellshock
Jul 8, 2010, 3:29 AM
Yep..deluded..passed off the park an made 2 look like clod hoppin amateurs.. credit 2 them for their fitin till the last but they wer outclassed by a Spanish side lite years ahead.. still they r yung an in 4 years they will b a threat.. an havin wotched Spain pass the ball round like a dream.. can c me 118 quid an me shoes goin down the Swanee..:( Dus that mean me gonna havta dip inta me own funds 2 get 'em? An will they still b ther wen me gets back from me hols??:rolleyes:

Or dus that mean me will jus hav lil looksee round the Paris shops an c wots on offer for me poor lickle tootsies? AND at me own expense... *sigh*.. can the Netherlands win it for me? Yep.. will they?? Afta 2 nite.. don think so..:( But as the man says..who knos..its a funny ole game. football...:)

Spain's defense made the entire game look as if it was played on peanut butter. "Light years ahead" ? Spain got beat by the Swiss [who didn't make it past the group stage], could only net two goals on frickin' HONDURAS and were almost blown out of the cup by Chile.

HUP HOLLAND HUP

niftyshellshock
Jul 8, 2010, 3:38 AM
As for the Germans, they weren't expecting that much of a defense, plus Klose had like three guys on him for 90 minutes.

darkeyes
Jul 8, 2010, 4:23 AM
'Scuse me?? Jus who is in final?? Don c ne Swiss guys hangin' on for ther team 2 becum champs... an defence me darlin', is as important a part a the game as attack.. who beat 'em on the way, or how many goals they scored in the past, dusn alter the fact that they outplayed Germany by a mile.. trick a winning the World Cup is peakin at rite time.. seems 2 me thats jus wot they r doin.. 2 beat 'em, ya havta get the bloody ball off 'em...

..an don get me rong.. part from the fact me has money on the line 'ere..me WANTS the Netherlands 2 win.. am willin 'em 2 win.. cos at its best..its wondafully attractive stuff Dutch football.. not 2 mention lil fact that IF they win.. they make Scotland look not quite such a bad side afta all...:tong: (even tho they r....bad that is..:()

darkeyes
Jul 9, 2010, 8:29 AM
The octopus has drawn Spain.. noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo:eek::(

niftyshellshock
Jul 10, 2010, 1:39 AM

octopus likes red.

sammie19
Jul 21, 2010, 2:54 PM

I know this is ancient now, but octopus was right. She will not be happy. lollllllllllllll.

gooniegoogoo
Aug 6, 2010, 12:58 PM
I know this is ancient now, but octopus was right. She will not be happy. lollllllllllllll.

Shit. I hope she won't live up to that promise about getting Cleave out of retirement.

darkeyes
Aug 8, 2010, 6:26 AM
Shit. I hope she won't live up to that promise about getting Cleave out of retirement.

Only for Dutch guys, Blackie me luffly... an boy, don they deserve it afta makin me buy me own shoes outa me own money....:(

Fringe Festival starts 'ere 2 day..official festival next week.. city will reelly start buzzin' an' ther always lotsa Dutch peeps 'ere for that... so for 4 weeks suggest ya put word out that Fran is on warpath..

Still, league season starts next weekend so ya betta hope the Jambos start wiv a bang cos if they do me mite jus begin 2 forget slite of Van Bronkhurst an co costin me 118 quid plus wot me coffed up for me shoes OUTA ME OWN MONEY!!!!! If not..then me b in rite bad mood an so the worse for them....;)