PDA

View Full Version : Obama extends same sex benefits to Federal workers

TwylaTwobits
Jun 2, 2010, 10:20 PM
http://www.kmtr.com/news/national/story/Benefits-extended-to-same-sex-partners-of-federal/nZ2sTQgBaUGm0A2EgmOotA.cspx

TwylaTwobits
Jun 3, 2010, 3:26 AM
Well it appears you missed this part of the story "Obama's memorandum covers only benefits that can be extended under existing law, without congressional action. Legislative action would be required for a full range of health care and other benefits."

The man is doing what he can and he gets slammed for it? This is the problem with LGBT people. You can't be happy someone is trying to help, you have to make sure they are helping in a "just so" manner. Do not look at this as something that is not good enough and embrace it for the fact he is doing his best to help right wrongs.

Oh, and another thing... color me one of those hetero people who has all the rights in the world.. yeah and that and two bucks will buy me a cup of coffee at McDonalds.

darkeyes
Jun 3, 2010, 7:19 AM
A lot of privately owned companies have already given their GLBT employees same sex benefits for their domestic partners and have done so for decades.

If Obama really cared about GLBT people and our rights he'd give us all the same rights as the ones that Heteros take for granted and not just give them to federal employees.

Obama can only do what he is empowered to do in accordance with the constitutional powers he holds just like any other democratic head of government. I am not saying he couldnt do more, but I am saying that it is your Congress that has to pass the legislation to enact so much of what we are after.. without their support and co-operation and without their legislative innovative conceptions, he is substantially hamstrung. Go learn what it means to be your head of government and stop blaming the man for things he is unable to do.. he gets enough stick for the things he can.. and in some cases quite rightly..

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Jun 3, 2010, 12:26 PM
A lot of privately owned companies have already given their GLBT employees same sex benefits for their domestic partners and have done so for decades

For decades? I dont think so. Same sex couples have been fighting for these rights and benefits for decades but havent been getting then until recently. I'm glad to see that they are getting what they deserve to get: The same right and bebefits as every other married or paired couple. :} Bout damn time.
Cat