PDA

View Full Version : Hurray for the AKC

FalconAngel
May 26, 2010, 12:38 PM
As the "parents" of a good old mixed breed dog, I am happy to spread this news to all of you that have a mixed breed fur-child.

After 125 Years, The American Kennel Club Welcomes Mutts
posted by: Kayla Coleman

http://www.care2.com/causes/animal-welfare/blog/after-125-years-the-akc-opens-up-to-mutts/#comment-731358

While many dog companions suspect their pups are geniuses and superdogs, until recently it was only the proud pooch parents with purebred dogs who were able to register with the American Kennel Club and compete in its dog shows.

But mutts rejoice!

After 125 years, the AKC has opened its heart, and competitions, to mixed breeds -- at least in performance tests. Mixed breeds still cannot compete in the "beauty contests" because the AKC is at a loss for how to judge them. Buddy's big brown eyes are captivating, yes, but is his tail a perfect example of his beagle dad's heritage? His poodle mom's?

The AKC's mission is to "advance the study, breeding, exhibiting, running and maintenance of purebred dogs," though something now has them barking a different tune when it comes to their stance on mixed and pure breeds. Gina DiNardo of the AKC says they're, "concerned about the welfare of all dogs…We want [mixed breeds] to become part of our fold."

Perhaps they realized all dogs are worthy of equal revelry, regardless of "purity"?

The AKC made this daring move after almost eight years of careful consideration. Yet there's still some snobbery in the canine world. Some dog show [human] competitors expressed concern that these mixed breeds would have an advantage over other dogs (if the mixed dog got exceptional traits in say, agility and obedience, from their different heritage lines). And one commenter on the website dogster.com says, "You wouldn't enter your old beater in with a completely restored /69 fastback Mustang…All dogs are not equal and it shows."

I know a few dog lovers who are nuts for mutts and would beg to differ.

After all, at some point, weren't all dogs bred with other breeds to create a new breed? The beloved Beagle, for example, is suspected to be a cross between a Talbot Hound and a Greyhound.

What are your thoughts on the AKC accepting mixed breeds for the first time in over 100 years? Are dog shows a great way to proudly show off your fur-baby's skills? Or are they pointless beauty contests people force upon their dogs, when Fido would be just as happy digging in the garden or gnawing on your slippers?

darkeyes
May 26, 2010, 4:23 PM
So they finally letya in then Falcie hmmmmm???

*giggles*:tong:

FalconAngel
May 27, 2010, 1:01 AM
So they finally letya in then Falcie hmmmmm???

*giggles*:tong:

Yeah, pretty much. :bigrin::bigrin::tong:

But I am none too sure of belonging to a club that would have me as a member.:eek::tong:

The Newbie
May 28, 2010, 8:30 PM
Awesome! Give me a mutt anyday of the week.

mooon
May 30, 2010, 12:21 PM
Or are they pointless beauty contests people force upon their dogs, when Fido would be just as happy digging in the garden or gnawing on your slippers?[/B]

Yeah, basically.
But now, maybe that can change.

I love my mutt. She is the latest in a series of loving dogs we have had.
Mutts are are the best!