PDA

View Full Version : sighs..more african outrage...

TwylaTwobits
May 20, 2010, 8:35 AM
http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/africa/3722024/Gay-couple-jailed-for-unnatural-acts-in-Malawi

MarieDelta
May 20, 2010, 8:49 AM
:(

This sucks. No words...

Gay2Bi
May 20, 2010, 11:22 AM
I just read this this morning too. While it's good that international groups are speaking up against this as a gross violation of human rights, I personally think we need to go further: We should indict the judge in an international court for a crime against humanity.

"Oh, you think you're a big, tough judge who can violate the United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights, eh? Well, now YOU'RE the one going to be doing hard labor!"

Ah, if only...

Sometimes I think people who abuse the rights of others - especially if they pull the whole "defending the morals of society" excuse - should get a heaping taste of their own medicine. Or a serious bitch-slapping. I'm not picky.

mariersa
May 20, 2010, 11:23 PM
Sometimes I think people who abuse the rights of others - especially if they pull the whole "defending the morals of society" excuse - should get a heaping taste of their own medicine. Or a serious bitch-slapping. I'm not picky.

jamieknyc
May 21, 2010, 12:30 PM
I just read this this morning too. While it's good that international groups are speaking up against this as a gross violation of human rights, I personally think we need to go further: We should indict the judge in an international court for a crime against humanity.

"Oh, you think you're a big, tough judge who can violate the United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights, eh? Well, now YOU'RE the one going to be doing hard labor!"

Ah, if only...

The UN Charter bars the UN from interfering in the domestic matters of its member states

Gay2Bi
May 21, 2010, 12:41 PM
The UN Charter bars the UN from interfering in the domestic matters of its member states

True, but those countries which ratified the UN-UDHR are required to enforce it domestically. Specifically, they're required to bring their legislation into line with the standards laid out in the declaration. This is why the US Congress did not ratify - it was afraid of losing "national sovereignty" - despite the fact the the US was the primary sponsor of the resolution.

I'm not sure if Malawi ratified the UDHR or not (I suppose the list of ratifiers is on the UN website) - my guess is probably not, but if they did, they should be held accountable for failing to meet their requirements. If not, there's not much that can be done short of continuing to speak out against such abuses - not that that seems to have much of an effect.