PDA

View Full Version : Gov't advises schools responding to needs of students with gender identity disorder

MarieDelta
May 13, 2010, 3:58 PM
This from Japan:

The government has advised schools across Japan to thoroughly discuss the education of students with gender identity disorder (GID), and to give the feelings of such children the utmost consideration.

Students with GID -- who feel uncomfortable with their biological gender and identify strongly with the opposite sex -- often experience stress over everyday school life, such as putting on their uniform or using the toilets and change rooms, and this sometimes leads the children to stop coming to school.

"Even if a child speaks openly with a homeroom teacher or special needs teacher, there are many cases where the school as a whole has failed to respond," says Mikiya Nakatsuka, chairman of the Japanese Society of Gender Identity Disorder and a professor of reproductive medicine at Okayama University. "With the government's call for cooperation, including school principals, I really hope that more children can find help."

This year, Saitama Prefecture approved gender reassignment in its public elementary schools, as did Kagoshima Prefecture in its public junior high schools. The advisory from the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology, however, was the first time the central government has taken a position on the issue.

The advisory, dated April 23 and sent to all private and public schools through prefectural boards of education, calls on schools to "Discuss the situation based on actual conditions ascertained through cooperation among the student's homeroom teacher, school management, the school counselor and special needs teacher, as well as taking into account the opinion of the student's guardian." It also calls for cooperation with local medical institutions.

http://mdn.mainichi.jp/mdnnews/news/20100513p2a00m0na010000c.html

Wow, just wow

TaylorMade
May 13, 2010, 4:01 PM
Sounds like they're at least TRYING to conceive some sort of solution that isn't "one-size-fits-all" and they get some kudos for that... I admit I sarcastically said to myself, "They prolly didn't give a shit till kids grades started dropping."

*Taylor*

MarieDelta
May 13, 2010, 4:06 PM
THis will certainly be interesting to watch in the future.

A whole society where transgender equality isn't turned into some horrid issue.

Simply seems like a good idea to me.

TaylorMade
May 13, 2010, 4:30 PM
THis will certainly be interesting to watch in the future.

A whole society where transgender equality isn't turned into some horrid issue.

Simply seems like a good idea to me.

But you know and I know... Asian cultures for the most part have a totally different approach to gender.

*Taylor*

MarieDelta
May 13, 2010, 4:42 PM
But you know and I know... Asian cultures for the most part have a totally different approach to gender.

*Taylor*

Of course. Still it will be interesting to see how Japan deals.

TaylorMade
May 13, 2010, 4:51 PM
Of course. Still it will be interesting to see how Japan deals.

From what I can tell, they see ill treatment of transgendered students more as hampering the students ability to get good grades.

But if that's what is needed to have students to feel relaxed and safe...

*Taylor*

TwylaTwobits
May 13, 2010, 5:00 PM
It will be interesting to see how Japan handles this. There are several asian cultures who have "ladyboys" (no disrespect intended it's what they call themselves) who are entertainers at various clubs. All in all it appears that Asian countries have a better openess regarding transgendered people. I hope that maybe other countries will follow suit and maybe someday everyone will understand it is possible to be born in the wrong body and it's not the person's fault. They didn't ask for it and they need help to correct a biological wrong.

MarieDelta
May 13, 2010, 5:02 PM
Versus the US where in many places we toss anyone who is transgender out on their ear.

Instead of fighting nature , the Japanese are working with nature. Allowing students to transition early will make them *more* productive citizens and make for *less* disruption of the school system.

In addition how many talented people who are trans have been forced out, discouraged, or bullied into suicide?

Its disapointing (to me) that we arent in front of this.

TwylaTwobits
May 13, 2010, 5:58 PM
To a lot of people, Marie. But then again we aren't in front of a lot of things anymore, leastwise the economy.

Long Duck Dong
May 13, 2010, 7:40 PM
something tells me that you will see a lot of positive from this...... the japanese are pretty open to express and personal identity

MarieDelta
May 13, 2010, 8:10 PM
"ladyboys" .

Also known as Katoey or Kathoey. Watch Beautiful Boxer sometime, that is a great(and true) story of a MtF from Thailand. It has a happy ending even.

http://www.look.yeah1.com/albums/userpics/117836/6275jix.jpg

Trailer- http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=FvxomJKPIjg

Long Duck Dong
May 14, 2010, 4:27 AM
I have heard about that movie from a few friends and they reckon its good viewing..... unfortunately there is no way to order it in nz and its not classified by the nz censor board so I will need to have a few words in a couple of ears and get some copies to * accidently fall off the back of a truck *

TwylaTwobits
May 14, 2010, 6:25 AM
I want to see that movie.....babe reckon I can ship it to you disguised as Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure and it might not get checked?