PDA

View Full Version : Music I am embarrassed to say I own

rdy2go
May 3, 2010, 12:42 AM
I thought this might be fun. Everybody has an album or cd that they look at and say, "What the hell was I thinking when I bought that?" Stuffed way in the back of your music collection, It is there you know it. So c'mon, share it with us, what is your most embarrassing music purchase?

I'll get it going, I bought a vinyl copy of Barry Manilows Greatest Hits! So if I can admit to that, it should be easy for everybody!

TwylaTwobits
May 3, 2010, 2:05 AM
can't really think of any, i listen to a lot of different genres except rap and i've only bought music i liked whether it was mainstream or not.. so no embarrassment here.

So sorry to hear about your Manilow though...gonna break into a rendition of Copacabana for us?

darkeyes
May 3, 2010, 2:24 AM
Can thinka lots... whole lotta stuff me bot wen me wos in me early teens.. me shudders wiv embarrassment.. stuff peeps bot me for chrissie or birfday pressies an all... hav 2 music collections.. 1 wich is on public show an a wich me is ashamed a precisely nowt.. an the embarrassin crap in loft... ther bout 40 albums up ther an they stayin ther... an no.. am not sayin wot they r... much much 2 embarrassin..

.. mind u Naggy's taste leaves summat 2 b desired.. get a lil embarrassed bout that bein on show... Celine "Screecher" Dion for 1.. an she tuts bout Barbra... God.. cheek...

.. an ne 1 who buys Barry Manilow shud b committed.....:rolleyes:;)

Canticle
May 3, 2010, 2:51 AM
Nope, I'm not embarrassed by any of the music I have, from latin Plain Song, Tibetan Mantras, Whale Song, The Monkees, Some country and western, lots and lots and mainly voices. I like voices over bands. And more than anyone else.....Robbie Williams.....I like and I love Robbie Williams. He's a local boy, I know people that knew him,,,,,and he is the greatest British male singer and entertainer of his generation......and it's only in the States and Canada, that he's not known.....but we are working on that.....the Royal 'we'.....that's me.

And I love Blues....early blues...blues, blues and more blues and I sing blues......I've loved blues since I heard Leadbelly singing, when I was 11, on an LP my brother had. Blues is in my soul.

And Robbie Williams........did I menton I liked Robbie?

darkeyes
May 3, 2010, 3:03 AM
Kate wets er knickers wen lissnin 2 Robbie.. an Take That? Wiv or wivout Robbie Williams... jus don go ther Canticle.. we mite hav a top a the range washin machine wich is jus as well, cos ya jus hav no idea a jus how many pairs she goes through lissnin 2 them...:bigrin: She has seen Take That a dozen times live an Robbie dunno how many times... Fran babbasits... ther only so much Robbie Williams an Take That ya can take..:eek: God.. all those wet knickers wen she gets 'ome... poor lickle washin machine....:(

TaylorMade
May 3, 2010, 3:37 AM
New Kids on the Block. Hanson. Spice Girls.

That is all I'm admitting to. And considering what Taylor Hanson is doing right now (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinted_Windows_%28band%29)... I think I did well.

I'm actually listening to Tinted Windows "Messing with my Head" right now. :p

*Taylor*

Canticle
May 3, 2010, 3:43 AM
Kate wets er knickers wen lissnin 2 Robbie.. an Take That? Wiv or wivout Robbie Williams... jus don go ther Canticle.. we mite hav a top a the range washin machine wich is jus as well, cos ya jus hav no idea a jus how many pairs she goes through lissnin 2 them...:bigrin: She has seen Take That a dozen times live an Robbie dunno how many times... Fran babbasits... ther only so much Robbie Williams an Take That ya can take..:eek: God.. all those wet knickers wen she gets 'ome... poor lickle washin machine....:(

Take That!!!!! Wash your mouth out Fran.........Ewwwwwwwwwww...Take That.......4 hasbeens who had to get back together to make some dosh. Now Mr Robbie Williams......he always stood out as something special......pure gold. Tell Kate that my friend's Nephew's Wife's Sister, dated Robbie when they were at school and Canticle knows people who grew up with him and still see him when he goes to see his Mum. My son met his Mum...I think he was in Robbie's Step-Dad's Pub.

You can never have too much Robbie.......but Gary Barlow...old podge.....he should've been drowned at birth!!! :bigrin:;):bigrin:

CuddlyKate
May 3, 2010, 5:27 AM

A slight exaggeration, lady!

Robbie is lovely, if lacking in modesty. Now who does that remind me of? Hmmmm? Take That are fantastic and I will not have a word said against them by one who likes the Peatbog Faeries and Runrig. I wish you would stick that tripe up in the loft.

Shall I tell them what happens to you when listening to Pink or Amy Mac? Not to forget the exhibition you made of yourself in Newcastle over Katie Melua? Two can play that game, dearest!

brutal_priestess
May 3, 2010, 11:52 AM
I'm not really embarrassed by any music I listen to, it's just some things are really at odds with my general taste. On a whole I listen to a lot of harder-edged music with a few softer bands/artists thrown in the mix (like Tori Amos or The Cure), so a lot of folks get this idea that I'm super hardcore or a super hip indie chick

...Yet i also listen to the likes of Madonna, Pink, Lady GaGa, and--god this is the one that will take away all my coolness points :rolleyes:--I really like that one song by Adam Lambert "For Your Entertainment."

Darkside2009
May 3, 2010, 12:04 PM

Robbie is lovely, if lacking in modesty. Now who does that remind me of? Hmmmm? Take That are fantastic and I will not have a word said against them by one who likes the Peatbog Faeries and Runrig. I wish you would stick that tripe up in the loft.

Shall I tell them what happens to you when listening to Pink or Amy Mac? Not to forget the exhibition you made of yourself in Newcastle over Katie Melua? Two can play that game, dearest!

Hoist with her own petard.lol I thought that was a photo of Katie Melua in her profile, but I was too polite to say.lol and the Peatbog Faeries...priceless! Thinking of that will keep me amused all day.lol

Canticle
May 3, 2010, 12:25 PM

I thought the accusation, that you were causing more laundry to be washed, than was necessary, a little mean...:bigrin:

Robbie.....heh...if you have charisma and talent over-flowing....flaunt it. Robbie rules!!! :):):):):):):):)

''Take That are fantastic''..........coughs, splutters, spits my coffee all over the computer keyboard (what's new there).......and hands the four no hopers their redundancy money......on your bikes lads! :bigrin::tong::bigrin:

Peatbog Faeries? Runrig?..........are they something from an alternative universe????? :eek::eek:

Hello Kate....nice to meet you.

foreverbi
May 3, 2010, 12:47 PM
I am not afraid to admit that I simply love the music of Neil Diamond.

Hephaestion
May 3, 2010, 1:20 PM
I am not afraid to admit that I simply love the music of Neil Diamond.

He was / is good. Timeless songs and effortless voice.

foreverbi
May 3, 2010, 5:20 PM
He was / is good. Timeless songs and effortless voice.

Thanks "Heph" I'm glad to see that I am not the only person that likes his music. In my opinion he is almost a musical genius. :2cents:

Pasadenacpl2
May 3, 2010, 5:33 PM
I have Mariah Carey Unplugged somewhere in my CD collection. I'm pretty ashamed of it, actually. Neil Diamond is a guilty pleasure. I don't advertise, but I do love to listen to him. I'll even throw on "The Jazz Singer" once in awhile if I get the itch.

Pasa

csreef
May 3, 2010, 6:07 PM
I have one (1) Madonna CD...Hey, my brother left it at my house, ok?

darkeyes
May 3, 2010, 6:44 PM

Peatbog Faeries r a modern folk group who happen 2 b ratha brill.. fact that SUM peeps hav no taste is ther affair... Runrig r a celtic folk rock band an legendary north a the border.. an they r also ratha brill.. don demand ne 1 like 'em.. don even mind peeps laffin at 'em.. but do expect peeps 2 hav lil lissen fore they judge...

http://www.peatbogfaeries.com/
http://www.runrig.co.uk/

..hav sed b4 me has a passion for folk music.. they r jus 2 a many triff bands who make me life jus a lil less than ordinary music wise.. Kate dusn like 'em but she knos who they r an knos ther music.. tis jus a lil pity she is 1 wiv no taste an all..:tong:

.. an Pink an Amy??? Grrrrrrrrrrrr Orgasmics personified...:bigrin: ..an bout Katie M an Newcastle.. Fran keeps 'er cyber gob resolutely shut....:cool:

Canticle
May 3, 2010, 8:06 PM
Peatbog Faeries r a modern folk group who happen 2 b ratha brill.. fact that SUM peeps hav no taste is ther affair... Runrig r a celtic folk rock band an legendary north a the border.. an they r also ratha brill.. don demand ne 1 like 'em.. don even mind peeps laffin at 'em.. but do expect peeps 2 hav lil lissen fore they judge...

..hav sed b4 me has a passion for folk music.. they r jus 2 a many triff bands who make me life jus a lil less than ordinary music wise.. Kate dusn like 'em but she knos who they r an knos ther music.. tis jus a lil pity she is 1 wiv no taste an all..:tong:

.. an Pink an Amy??? Grrrrrrrrrrrr Orgasmics personified...:bigrin: ..an bout Katie M an Newcastle.. Fran keeps 'er cyber gob resolutely shut....:cool:

I'm gonna have to disappoint Kate.......from the bits I heard...I think the Peatbogfaeries and Runrig have a new fan. I'll have to look for their CDs. I get most of my CDs from charity shops. Got a very bood deal on the first Lily Allen album........99p fron the PDSA and that, when it was still on sale. Reckon someone bought cos they liked the first single released and didn't like the rest.....ha ha ha ha ha ha.

Now who are weird, are Gong.......he who shall be divorced likes them.....what a weirdo!

Cherokee_Mountaincat
May 3, 2010, 8:17 PM
A few years ago I got hooked on this damn song and would up buying the cassette to it. It was campy and silly and I Loved the video. It was "Dont worry, be happy" by Bobby McFerrin....lol
Red Faced Cat

Hephaestion
May 3, 2010, 8:19 PM
The ring tone on my mobile is 'Nellie the Elephant'

By accident, I own a copy of 'Miss Punta Blanca' by Jane Siberry - possibly the world's worst ever song.

Annika L
May 3, 2010, 8:21 PM
Now are we talking about music we're embarrased to say we *listen* to, or music we're embarrassed to say we *own*?

The OP says it's the latter.

There certainly is no music I *listen* to that I'm embarrassed by!

But I'm none too proud of our purchase of Genesis "Invisible Touch"...and to have bought their "We Can't Dance" album several years later just forces me to question "how long does it friggin take us to figure out that a group is *way* past its prime??" Fortunately, I think my learning curve has improved with age! :tong:

Cherokee_Mountaincat
May 3, 2010, 8:33 PM
hey! I Love Phil Collins! lol No shame there at all. Music is Universal and it doesnt matter how old it is or what type it is. What matters most is how it makes the listener Feel when they listen to it. ;}
I try to not listen to sad, depressed, cry in yer beer and fall on yer ear types, but once in a while a girl needs some slow love songs. But mainly I like something smart and happy and a little fast paced. I like "Feel good" music.. :}
Cat music con-o-sooer of tunes

Annika L
May 3, 2010, 9:16 PM
hey! I Love Phil Collins! lol No shame there at all. Music is Universal and it doesnt matter how old it is or what type it is. What matters most is how it makes the listener Feel when they listen to it. ;}
I try to not listen to sad, depressed, cry in yer beer and fall on yer ear types, but once in a while a girl needs some slow love songs. But mainly I like something smart and happy and a little fast paced. I like "Feel good" music.. :}
Cat music con-o-sooer of tunes

Never said a word against Phil Collins, or against Genesis, hon. I am not at all ashamed to own and enjoy Abacab, for instance, and even though I've had love for nearly 24 years, Phil's version of "You Can't Hurry Love" still has a soft spot in my heart.

But those two albums I mentioned...make me cry in my beer. :tong:

Jackal
May 3, 2010, 9:28 PM
You know how they say bisexuals go through 'phases'? Well -- fuck I can't believe I'm telling you this -- I had a Bryan Adams phase. I at least downloaded it illegally, but fuck me where did that come from?! I still like summer of '69 though. The rest of that filth has been deleted from my HD and the cd's turned into a lamp or frisbees. I think I own a Backstreet CD too, I like the first thing they ever did, you know that one that doesn't sound a thing like them? I have to go wash now...

Realist
May 3, 2010, 9:37 PM
I can't tell you the stuff I have that I'm ashamed of, because none of you are old enough to remember 'em, anyway!

Well, really not ASHAMED of...if I like it I don't care if anyone else does, or not.

Darkside2009
May 3, 2010, 10:37 PM

Well personally, I'd like to hear more revelations from Cuddly Kate,(her indoors).lol

Is that the Sun setting over Edinburgh, Fran or just the glow from your face? Lol

After three everyone, "This is the closest thing to crazy that I've ever been..." Lol

Did you ask Katie Melua if she took in washing, Fran? Lol

brutal_priestess
May 3, 2010, 10:51 PM
But I'm none too proud of our purchase of Genesis "Invisible Touch"...and to have bought their "We Can't Dance" album several years later just forces me to question "how long does it friggin take us to figure out that a group is *way* past its prime??" Fortunately, I think my learning curve has improved with age! :tong:

I grew up listening to Genesis and Phil. To this day i still kinda like "In the Air Tonight" and know far too many songs by heart. An ex of mine was a gamer geek with a fondness for Grand Theft Auto and I had a right hard laugh over watching him take out gangsters to the tune of "Easy Lover" in the Vice City Stories installment.

Jackal
May 4, 2010, 4:49 AM
You know how they say bisexuals go through 'phases'? Well -- fuck I can't believe I'm telling you this -- I had a Bryan Adams phase. I at least downloaded it illegally, but fuck me where did that come from?! I still like summer of '69 though. The rest of that filth has been deleted from my HD and the cd's turned into a lamp or frisbees. I think I own a Backstreet CD too, I like the first thing they ever did, you know that one that doesn't sound a thing like them? I have to go wash now...

....Then there was my Gordon Lightfoot phase...

If you're looking for answers, I ain't got em.

darkeyes
May 4, 2010, 5:02 AM
I'm gonna have to disappoint Kate.......from the bits I heard...I think the Peatbogfaeries and Runrig have a new fan. I'll have to look for their CDs. I get most of my CDs from charity shops. Got a very bood deal on the first Lily Allen album........99p fron the PDSA and that, when it was still on sale. Reckon someone bought cos they liked the first single released and didn't like the rest.....ha ha ha ha ha ha.

Now who are weird, are Gong.......he who shall be divorced likes them.....what a weirdo!

Ta Canticle.. c? Fran dus hav exceedingly gud taste...:bigrin: An Fran is also big Lily fan... jus luff the way she puts 2 getha 'er lyrics...

Lady_Passion
May 5, 2010, 3:14 AM
Easy. Here's a review I wrote for it.

3 of 4 people found the following review helpful:
- stars - Wish I could return this for a refund. More stressful than relaxing., June 30, 2007
This review is from: Music for Sound Healing (Audio CD)
The vocals are not chantlike. They are closer to spoken word with a musical prop. After the written description and 16-minute narrated introduction, this left a constant sense of disorientation throughout listening to each track. The vocals are too often unintelligible. If that isn't supposed to matter it wasn't mentioned, and contrasts annoyingly with occasionally clear vocals. Mumbling rather than chanting is annoying. Usually where the vocals were clear enough to understand, they were too loud and the music could not be heard. Throughout it was impossible to decide if the vocals were meant to be comprehensible or just part of a sound effect. If intended to be a sound effect, it didn't work.

If an overall relaxing effect was intended to be the primary focus, the pop-like vocals prevented that. This music reminds me of ego trips and belly dancing instead of deep relaxation.

Some sounds seem poorly misplaced and some are just too loud and disruptive. Musical exclamation points do not promote relaxation for me.

The oral written introduction is appreciated, but perhaps should be presented differently since hearing it every time the CD is played is a bit much. An accurate written presentation might have prevented these disappointments for me. As it is, it won't find much use here next to more appropriate relaxation music and sounds.

I actually threw this one away. That's a first since usually I'll find someone who likes something I'm disappointed with, but this was so awful I couldn't consider pawning it off anyone else.

**Peg**
May 5, 2010, 7:37 AM
I can't tell you the stuff I have that I'm ashamed of, because none of you are old enough to remember 'em, anyway!

Well, really not ASHAMED of...if I like it I don't care if anyone else does, or not.

with ya there Real man...

think Johnny Mathis "Chances Are" (oh how I swooned as a 13 yr old)

Realist
May 5, 2010, 8:15 AM
Aw, I loved that song, too, Peg!

Love all kinds of music from muddy river blues, to Ragtime, Dixieland, to the love songs of the '40s-'80s, some rock and roll, a little country, classical, foreign, etc, etc.

My dad hated (HATED!!) Elvis.

Now, I can understand how he felt, because I feel the same way about much of this recent "noise" some call music! Hey, that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it!

I just listened to Green Door, by Jim Lowe, on youtube! Remember that one? Actually, on rainy days, I will sometimes listen to music on youtube for hours.

still_shy
May 5, 2010, 9:17 AM

I absolutely love Pink and now, thanks to Fran I have a new favorite...Katie is awesome :D

still_shy
May 5, 2010, 9:23 AM
To answer the original question though, I have scores of music I'm embarrassed to own...my music taste has always varied enormously...let's see if I can come up with a few bad ones

1. Michael Bolton
2. Gilette: Mr. Personality
3. En Vouge
4. Marilyn Manson
5. Milli Vanilli
6. Vanilla Ice

I'll stop there. Mind you, I don't listen to that stuff anymore but yes, there was a time...

darkeyes
May 5, 2010, 9:46 AM
I absolutely love Pink and now, thanks to Fran I have a new favorite...Katie is awesome :D

Stick wiv me luffly 1.. no 1 quite has Fran's musical taste.. tee hee.. (k..sum peeps wud say jus as well.. bloody philistines:eek:...

But Katie is quite yummie..an yas rite... awesome.. so yas welcum;) One song worth 500 times all ya crap put 2getha:bigrin: ..an ifya gets the chance go c 'er in concert.. get close an jus get a lil wiff a the Melua scent... sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Lady_Passion
May 5, 2010, 7:46 PM
I still enjoy Michael Bolton and En Vogue always kicks ass. My favorite all time vocal group though is Sonia Dada.

I used to adore Chuck Berry. The first 45 I bought of his was "My Ding A Ling". It was so much fun when it came out :.) Over the years, people kept asking me, "you paid for that?" So though I enjoyed it, eventually I gave it away 'cause I was tired of being harassed about it *lol*

Also have "Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer", which I still get a kick out of. Rodney Carrington's baudy songs are next on my list.

Oh, also have "Thank God I'm A Pubic Hair" :.)

DareMe
May 5, 2010, 8:14 PM
I am a barbie girl and the Ketchup song...

Boy, it took a lot out of me to admit this! ;) and I still love 'em!

DM

boca.openminded
May 5, 2010, 11:23 PM
To answer the original question though, I have scores of music I'm embarrassed to own...my music taste has always varied enormously...let's see if I can come up with a few bad ones

1. Michael Bolton
2. Gilette: Mr. Personality
3. En Vouge
4. Marilyn Manson
5. Milli Vanilli
6. Vanilla Ice

I'll stop there. Mind you, I don't listen to that stuff anymore but yes, there was a time...

OMG... I'm embarrassed for you..

Bolton, Milli Vanilli, Vanilla Ice... LOL.. and you still have them? LOL

still_shy
May 6, 2010, 7:36 AM
OMG... I'm embarrassed for you..

Bolton, Milli Vanilli, Vanilla Ice... LOL.. and you still have them? LOL

Yeah I'm one of those people who never gets rid of a CD, even if I haven't listened to it in years. Still have them all!

darkeyes
May 6, 2010, 7:51 AM
Wen me used 2 go 2 me granpa an gran's we a kid they had ole windie up gramaphone.. hundreds an hundreds a 78's from God knos wen.. used 2 play em all the time.. the crackles an cracks fascinated a lil girl an even summa the music. Wen me granpa died me ended up wiv the gramaphone an 78's an ther is LOTS me h8s but sumtimes me plays em outa soppy sentiment.. they take me bak 2 wen me wos so happy an sittin on Granpa's knee.. they bring bak sound a his voice, his gruff gentleness an the granpa smell.. an that God awful pipe baccy 'e used ta puff in me face... but most of all.. they bring back the luff we used 2 get in that house...

Ther is anotha lil girl now who luffs that gramaphone an those ole bakalite records.. :) Tho the lil cow did break "Rich Uncle Mac" by Harry Lauder.. it wos awful but me luffed that an all...