PDA

View Full Version : Openly gay students in Tenn fight for their rights

MarieDelta
Apr 29, 2010, 11:37 PM
Cole Goforth's "I love Lady GayGay" T-shirt was supposed to be a funny play on the name of one of his favorite musicians

He thought it fit with his style — artsy, fitted Ts with skinny jeans — and everyone at Greenbrier High knew he was gay, anyway.
But school administrators didn't see the humor. They said that T-shirt and any others with "pro-gay" messages were inherently disruptive, pointing out that Goforth, 15, already was being bullied because of his sexual orientation. One student — a girl — gave him a black eye.

This month, Goforth called the American Civil Liberties Union of Tennessee, becoming one of a growing number of openly gay high school students demanding equal treatment. Complaints from these students and their supporters are raising legal questions and prompting lawsuits in Middle Tennessee and other parts of the South

LAMDA Legal, a nonprofit group that fights civil rights cases for gay people, is hearing from students more frequently, a development one attorney applauded.

"That's not because there are more gay people or gay students, but because gay students are recognizing their difference and naming it and claiming it earlier on in their lives," said Beth Littrell, an Atlanta-based LAMDA attorney.

Last school year, a student complained to Metro Nashville school officials about an Internet filter that blocked access to non-sexual, gay-themed sites. The Human Rights Campaign site was blocked, for example, but not sites explaining how gay people could become straight. The ACLU of Tennessee gave Tennessee school districts a chance to adjust their filters and then sued, which got results.

ACLU sends instructions

On Wednesday the ACLU sent a document called "Keeping Graduation & Prom Inclusive" to 137 Tennessee public school superintendents. It contends same-sex couples are allowed to attend prom — and wear clothing not typical of their genders — under the First and 14th Amendments, citing a recent Mississippi case where a high school canceled its prom rather than allow a lesbian teen to attend with her girlfriend and wear a tuxedo.

In that case, a federal judge ruled that the student's rights were violated but didn't force Itawamba County Agricultural High School to go through with its prom because parents were throwing their own.

Tennessee's ACLU is encouraging students to call if they encounter similar problems at proms. Hedy Weinberg, the group's executive director, said she wants to make sure those activities welcome all students and their families and friends.

"Our experience is that many educators and administrators are unfamiliar with how the constitutional guarantees of religious freedom and freedom of speech apply to graduation prayer or to the rights of lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender students at prom," she said...

http://www.dnj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2010100429020

Good, seems Constances' fight is doing some good in other parts of the US.

I suppose part of this is having the information available to them to know what they are and what their rights are.

dman82
Apr 29, 2010, 11:45 PM
That article also sounded like a bunch of bible thumpers forgot it also say to love one another in the bible. It doesn't give specific instructions on how to love them. We all are adult enough to know what love is and should be between any two people. I am more then glad to see people standing up for their rights as Americans.

Long Duck Dong
Apr 29, 2010, 11:56 PM
I have spoken up about this a number of times....and got slammed every time....
a lot of school bulling and gay bashing is not cos of the sexual orientation, its the attitude of people and the way they act......

wearing a shirt saying I love lady gaygay is not wrong...its a form of expression..... but what about the other side of the coin.... there are people that love lady gaga the singer...and would have gone offended..... so yes there is two sides to every story......

when I was a doorman / barman, I was forever having to stopping people wanting to pound lgbt people to a pulp...not for their sexuality, but their mouths.....

so what this student is now saying....is I want to be able to wear clothing that can be disruptive and rile up people...... claiming its their right ( which it is ).... but then they are the first to claim they are the victim of a gay assault.......

when do we take responsibility for the fact that in a lot of cases, we create the issue ourselves.... and its not our sexuality that is the problem.... its our lack of working braincells...... and yes... that covers every student...not just the lgbt..... cos I believe in equality.... and that means that the lgbt as be equally as stupid as the rest of the human race...and thats not a right, its a FACT

TwylaTwobits
Apr 30, 2010, 12:01 AM
Anyone have any information on if all shirts, hats, buttons, signs of any disruptive nature, be they pro LGBT or anti LGBT could not be worn or displayed on school property?

MarieDelta
Apr 30, 2010, 12:05 AM
a lot of school bulling and gay bashing is not cos of the sexual orientation, its the attitude of people and the way they act......

wearing a shirt saying I love lady gaygay is not wrong...its a form of expression..... but what about the other side of the coin.... there are people that love lady gaga the singer...and would have gone offended..... so yes there is two sides to every story......

when I was a doorman / barman, I was forever having to stopping people wanting to pound lgbt people to a pulp...not for their sexuality, but their mouths.....

so what this student is now saying....is I want to be able to wear clothing that can be disruptive and rile up people...... claiming its their right ( which it is ).... but then they are the first to claim they are the victim of a gay assault.......

when do we take responsibility for the fact that in a lot of cases, we create the issue ourselves.... and its not our sexuality that is the problem.... its our lack of working braincells...... and yes... that covers every student...not just the lgbt..... cos I believe in equality.... and that means that the lgbt as be equally as stupid as the rest of the human race...and thats not a right, its a FACT

Sure, but did you read the rest of the article?

The school can either allow all "message" t-shirts or ban them, they cant pick and choose. At the moment there are students in that school wandering around with confederate flags and bible messages on their t-shirts. How is it fair to tell this kid that he cant wear his t-shirt?

Also this:

District officials also agreed to make clear to students and staff that harassment of any student — regardless of race, gender or sexual orientation — will not be tolerated.

Long Duck Dong
Apr 30, 2010, 12:25 AM
how fair it is to protect the student from himself...... thats my question, marie..... as its only a matter of time before they go too far,....and get seriously hurt by somebody that they really pissed off and I am not referring to sexuality, I am referring to the way they are expressing their messages

if push comes to shove, I can foresee schools ruling that no message t shirts will be the norm from now on in schools..... that yeah that means kids with working brains lose out.....

constance was different, she wanted a style of tidy and well presented dress ( the tux ) not a t shirt with a message that could piss students off.....

I support the rights to expression and speech...but I also support the usage of braincells in heads...... and that applies to all students......

I know first hand what I am talking about..... we had a issue at the local schools with personal jewelry being worn and the christians told that wearing symbols of their faith was not allowed ( crosses ) but maori students could wear necklaces with symbols of their culture, and indian male students were allowed to wear kirpan ( religious ceremonial daggers ), but legally they are classed as concealed weapons

so yes, in nz, we already are creating a inbalanced society about culture and religions..... using the * rights of expression *....in a society where we are all supposed to be equal......

either we need to keep fighting for equal rights and freedom of expression and ignore the fact that we are creating a inequal society or we need to admit that it can not be done equally........ ( thats world wide btw, ) and my support is on the second one........

MarieDelta
Apr 30, 2010, 12:28 AM

Do you understand why this doesnt work?

I'm not slamming you, it's just not right to blame the person who gets beat up. The person to blame is the one using their fists. Does that make sense?

Because someone acts a bit different it's ok to hit them?

If they are a bit femme it's allright to to beat them to make them tougher?

MarieDelta
Apr 30, 2010, 12:33 AM
how fair it is to protect the student from himself...... thats my question, marie..... as its only a matter of time before they go too far,....and get seriously hurt by somebody that they really pissed off and I am not referring to sexuality, I am referring to the way they are expressing their messages......

For what it is worth, I don't think it was the message that got him hit before. It was being openly gay.

That can happen anywhere, but especially in more rural "blue collar" areas.

If they decide to ban t-shirts alltogether , thats fine. As long as the rules are applied equally.

That is the problem currently ,the rules aren't being applied equally.

Long Duck Dong
Apr 30, 2010, 12:40 AM
I know what you are saying marie........ and I am not excusing violence..... but I am realistic in the fact that not everybody is gonna to grit their teeth and walk away......

there is nothing wrong with being different..... but there is a difference between being respectful and doing or saying things that you know, can and do piss people right off....and hiding behind the * its my right to express myself * thinking.....

it would be like me going into a bar full of people of color and saying things like, I hear the KKK is holding a BBQ at the local park, you should all go and support them...... and saying its ok for me to say that, cos I am different.....but people will not see it that way.... they will be mildly ( and i use the term loosely ) offended....

while I have no issues with the student expressing themselves.... surely the fact that there may be a good number of students that like lady gaga the singer and see the lady gaygay as a offensive slant on her name..... could be a indication that some forms of expression are just not that wise

however that aside..... there is references to him being punched in the face at school....and it makes me wonder.... ( based around the usage of the tshirt ) just what was say or done to provoke the person into punching him

Jade Pecker
Apr 30, 2010, 12:43 AM
Listen, guys I agree that openly gay students have every right to defend themselves....self defense is the ultimate right. However, I agree with Dong that a lot of people should have better sense than to be prissy loudmouths in asituation where it is no called for. i have met people like that and tried to cool them out, but usually they will not listen. I am a bi man,a black belt candidate, and a member of the Church of the SubGenius (and a devotee of the Fightin' Jesus),and fat black feminists make me ill, but in public I dress preppy, drive a conservative looking sedan, etc.
Most of the locals know who i am and what I'm about.
Listen guys...my cat wants me to come to bed. She's been sleeping in my bed, under the covers, with her head on the pillow for half an hour.
Bi!
-Roger:tongue:

MarieDelta
Apr 30, 2010, 12:52 AM
however that aside..... there is references to him being punched in the face at school....and it makes me wonder.... ( based around the usage of the tshirt ) just what was say or done to provoke the person into punching him

Goforth, 15, already was being bullied because of his sexual orientation. One student — a girl — gave him a black eye.

I can see this. Girl has a crush on him, he tells her he is gay , she smacks him...

As far as being a smart ass, wearing (or not wearing) the t-shirt isnt gonna cure that. Hell I've known plenty of straight kids who were smart asses, and they got into their fair share of fights.

Just being out places him at an increase risk of being the victim of a hate crime, in that place. If he is a "flaming" gay male, he will in all likelihood get beaten up there , no matter what he wears.

Long Duck Dong
Apr 30, 2010, 1:03 AM
its possible... marie... but based around the article, hes getting bullied a lot....

I have been a barman / doorman at a lgbt / bikie bar..... worked with schools as a youth worker.... helped run a youth group for mixed sexuality youth.... even helped run a few online games as a admin.......

95% of issues started with a persons mouth..... the other 5% were unprovoked and yes, gay bashing crimes.......

other lgbt counsellors and youth workers share the same opinions ( in nz, since the us is so vastly different to the rest of the world )..... most beatings of lgbt, begin with somebodies mouth being too loose

MarieDelta
Apr 30, 2010, 1:09 AM
I can tell you this.

I wasnt much of a smart ass in HS. Hell, I didnt speak hardly at all, if it could be avoided. Kept my mouth shut, had my activities outside of school.

I still got bullied.

Why? Because bullies are just that, bullies. If you let them, they will push you around. They dont , in general, need a reason. But if you are the slightest bit different, then god help you.

This is from my experience, growing up in a small town.

MarieDelta
Apr 30, 2010, 1:25 AM
Oh, and for what its worth, hardly ever involved a person in authority.

Why? Because I figured they'd just tell me to "deal with it". So I did, I shut up and soldiered on.

Long Duck Dong
Apr 30, 2010, 1:31 AM
yeah.... I know about being bullied, thats why I suggest the minimal target option.......

school bullies will bully for a number of reasons... personal issues, mental issues etc....and choose their targets for a number of reasons too.....

my understanding of school bullies has changed over the years as I learnt more and more about bullying....... and I have watched a number of changes applied, some work, many fail...... but the one bit of advice I do have...for people, is make yourself a minimal target.....

however, I also accept that we are talking about america....and people are constantly fighting to be allowed to be different and stand out...... and people like that are generally the target of bullies.....

in nz...... our bullying is getting epidemic....but the trouble there...is that we also exercised the childrens rights aspect.....we are not allowed to punish the kids as they have rights....including the right to a education so the bullies know that they are becoming untouchable ....and the bullied kids.... are taking their own lives now as they are seeing that the bullies are being protected while they make others lives a misery

america is coming up to that point faster and faster......

america needs to learn, before they start burying their youth too....all in the name of rights.... and the right to be who we are.....

I am not advocating suppression of rights...as I know thats not gonna happen..... all I am saying... is with more and more rights.... we have less control in society..... and less control means more issues.... more crime...and more losses.......

the right to bear arms was once about defending yourself and your country.... its now becoming the right to go outside of your home and also be to safe in your own home.....

sad isn't it

MarieDelta
Apr 30, 2010, 1:37 AM
Another note:

I sit here in Colorado, 50 miles from Columbine. Do you remember what happened at Columbine?

Kids who had been bullied took matters into their own hands. Many people died because of it.

We (as a society) need to get a handle on these bullies, not their victims.

LDD, I love ya , but I am beginning to see where your point of view comes from.

I still dont agree with you , though.

MarieDelta
Apr 30, 2010, 1:55 AM
my understanding of school bullies has changed over the years as I learnt more and more about bullying....... and I have watched a number of changes applied, some work, many fail...... but the one bit of advice I do have...for people, is make yourself a minimal target.....

This doesnt work, from my experience. It pretty much doesnt mater what you do, if the bullies want to attack you.

Jackal
Apr 30, 2010, 1:57 AM
Another note:

I sit here in Colorado, 50 miles from Columbine. Do you remember what happened at Columbine?

Kids who had been bullied took matters into their own hands. Many people died because of it.

We (as a society) need to get a handle on these bullies, not their victims.

LDD, I love ya , but I am beginning to see where your point of view comes from.

I still dont agree with you , though.

I thought that the idea that Harris and Kliebold were bullied past the brink had been debunked. That they were troubled but not targets.

MarieDelta
Apr 30, 2010, 2:07 AM
I dunno. It seems that that was one of the causes both there and at Virginia Tech.

Long Duck Dong
Apr 30, 2010, 3:00 AM
the idea could have been debunked.... but personally..... its not unrealistic.....

I, myself, toyed with the idea of just going to school and taking out the school bullies myself, when I was at school.....
I had the mindset that nothing short of taking them all out permanently, would do, as they would not stop.....

those were the days without guns tho....

Long Duck Dong
Apr 30, 2010, 3:07 AM
marie, i do agree, that if the bullies target you, not much will stop them..... I just tend to look at it as give them the least reason to target you

however, that rises the issue of do we stop being who we are .....

its a catch 22..... and honestly, there is no real fix.... I am just getting tired of reading about kids bullied to the point they take their own lives.... then the system doesn't hold the bullies responsible...it blames the parents, the school, the teachers, etc.... while ignoring the fact that the parents, school and teachers are powerless by law, to do anything.....
thats something in nz that frustrates the fuck outta me......

IanBorthwick
Apr 30, 2010, 4:37 AM
Do you understand why this doesnt work?

I'm not slamming you, it's just not right to blame the person who gets beat up. The person to blame is the one using their fists. Does that make sense?

Because someone acts a bit different it's ok to hit them?

If they are a bit femme it's allright to to beat them to make them tougher?

Having experienced this from my father and mother and school alike, I can tell you this is an abhorrent thing to even consider for a nanosecond. This is how we stamp conformity into a person and thereby strip them of their personality. By ignoring how it is done in small ways to large ways, you encourage the bully by denying aid to those injured. It's a classic schoolyard stupidity and one that is shocking to see that people still accept as factually necessary.

Were the world a schoolyard, then rather than push justice either the bully goes free or both are punished. Does that make any sense at all? The victim is punished? Is that how things happen in NZ? If it is, I am sorry, LDD, I'd move. More importantly, I'd find a way to purge that idea from your head that punishing the one who asks for acceptance and freedom and has to deal with the world both hating them and mocking them with their dress and demeanor is acceptable in even a fleeting fancy.

Fair is fair, and if you can do something I am guaranteed to be able to do myself you cannot complain. If you use a tactic, I can use it also. If you can complain and be heard then so can I. This is not the wild, a jungle, a backwoods forest, the forest primeval, some place int he Ozarks round the turn of the 19th century... This is modern times and fists cannot be feared if we are to change the world. Not every person beaten can rise to occasion and beat back their attackers like a screaming Bruce Lee on film.

Having lived in that situation for almost 2 decades, in a hell I cannot begin to describe at home, at school and at large, I cannot help but think you need to taste life from my side of things and have your POV adjusted so the world is not off kilter and accepted as "In Working Condition". Those who claim powerlessness are the ones who wish to be bound, who fear helping the outsider. History is filled with those that do not stand for injustice and leap to battle it back. If the law says they cannot help, then break it and make better ones. Be the spark of change, not the voice of status quo. Nothing can get better if we hide...they'll get us anyway. Look at the Holocaust.

Long Duck Dong
Apr 30, 2010, 4:56 AM
ian..... use the principal of a rape victim.... they are on trial trying to get justice for the other person on trial.....

bullies will use the argument of provocation.... the bullied will say, its not our fault....

but I have a lot of experience, watching lgbt people mouthing off then me having to stand in to stop them getting their heads smashed in..... but every time, its been portrayed as the innocent lgbt person getting picked on

ian... the us locks up their bullies..... are you suggesting that is how we should do it, just lock up people.... and say to others, its not your fault you provoked them.... they are not allowed to hit you?????

again, violence doesn't solve any issue...( tho the us is happy to use bombs, threats etc, to get a result ) but nor does ignorance.....

the whole social system is constantly following the same social patterns......
its never the victims fault
its always the aggressors fault
males are the violent ones
we have rights

but what is really going on is this:
the victim and the aggressor both play a role in events, on different levels
the aggressor and the victim are both at fault, be it innocently or deliberately
males are seen as the violent ones.... but they also make up the majority of victims of violence....
everybody has rights.... its just most of us do not exercise the rights to us common sense and take personal responsibility.....

that is why the us has a court system...... so you can take others to court for your lack of common sense, lack of personal responsibility, to make others pay millions and take the blame.... and sometimes... for justice to be done.... but thats why the us has lawyers.......

now that is not a attack on the us way of doing things..... cos the same crap is going on around the world....

so let the young man wear the shirt and all the other stuff he wants to wear.... let the other students wear what they want..... I mean seriously.... who does to school for a education now.... we go to a fashion show with text books.....
and if the school dares to say, norty.... tie up things with a another court case......
btw, is k mart hiring..... we were so busy playing dress up and whens ya court date.... we failed at school.... and now we have to wear hand me downs cos we can not afford decent stuff now

Long Duck Dong
Apr 30, 2010, 5:45 AM
now, lets take a hypothetical scenerio using real options in the school

you have students, with the rights to individual expression in clothing

you have clothing based around personal, religious, cultural and sexuality expression....

now... you have a student desiring to express themselves... with a tshirt..and you rule on it, and get threatened with court action

you can either back down, stand up for yourself, or tweak the rules.....
if you back down, the students will continue to push the boundaries,
if you stand up, the students will go to court...
if you tweak the rules, you will piss off any number of students

so you go and look at the option of set dress code or uniform....
now, you run into the issue of infringement on the grounds of religious expression ( the head wear of muslim females for example )
the issue of restricted expression reduces creative expression in art students...
the issue of parents having to buy new clothes or a uniform for the kids...

now you have the issue of parents seeking to take the school dress code / uniform to court......

either way.... you are trying to teach kids in a school so they can get a education......

but you have to deal with the special needs kids, the bullied, the bullies, the truants, the disruptive....and the whole time, trying to keep up a level of grades for funding for the school so you can keep up a high level of graded students....

so you can not really focus on the pregnant, the mentally ill and the class dunces that really do not wait to learn anything anyway

then you have the issue of school shootings and that possibility of it happening at your school ( 37 seperate school shootings in the us as of may 2002 )

now.... as a student, you are now going to school.....

you are going to a facility where freedom of expression may not be limited or restricted, so you are likely to be offended at something....

you will have to contend with the wanna bes, the out casts, the disruptive, the cultural, sexuality / religious groups, the crime, the bullies and the chance of being bullied

a over worked, tired and stressed teacher that is trying to teach in a class room using text books that may not have the complete facts, to students, that may not be listening, paying attention or giving a shit....

and all cos you want a good education and to go places in life.....

now... 3 questions.....

1 ) when are teachers and principals getting medals of honor for courage under fire....

2 ) when are the students that really want a education, gonna get their own schools so they can get one.... without all the disruptions and distractions....

3) after reading this.... is not wearing a tshirt for a student really that big a deal..... ???????

rissababynta
Apr 30, 2010, 9:15 AM
Where as I am not agreeing with the way you are expressing your view and a few small tid bits in there, I do understand what you are saying LDD and I can't say that I don't agree.

In High School, I had friends CONSTANTLY wearing things, or doing things that wasn't necessarily "against the rules" but it was pushing it...and they knew it...and they would laugh about it. As soon as someone said something to them they would start flipping shit about their rights. Everytime. It was like clockwork...

So yes, in a way I do see what you are saying here LDD.

And quick question...can anyone tell me what is so friggin funny about "Lady GayGay" anyway?

Long Duck Dong
Apr 30, 2010, 9:41 AM
the term lady gaygay is cos lady gaga got her big breaks doing gay clubs and bars, and is very gay friendly and a strong ally.....

shes also very flamboyant and not afraid to be who she is......

lady gay gay, is a gay friendly way of showing a personal love and support and admiration of lady gaga and her support of the lgbt.....

so yeah its a pro gay ally message.... not really a pro gay message..... but some people have issues with the fact they like lady gaga and the fact that lady gaga is lgbt friendly, .... hence the issues with the lady gaygay aspect....

personally its not hurting anybody..... and thats why I question the bullying of the gay teen at school... cos something tells me the t shirt is not a issue.... there is other shit going on

rissababynta
Apr 30, 2010, 9:53 AM
the term lady gaygay is cos lady gaga got her big breaks doing gay clubs and bars, and is very gay friendly and a strong ally.....

shes also very flamboyant and not afraid to be who she is......

lady gay gay, is a gay friendly way of showing a personal love and support and admiration of lady gaga and her support of the lgbt.....

so yeah its a pro gay ally message.... not really a pro gay message..... but some people have issues with the fact they like lady gaga and the fact that lady gaga is lgbt friendly, .... hence the issues with the lady gaygay aspect....

personally its not hurting anybody..... and thats why I question the bullying of the gay teen at school... cos something tells me the t shirt is not a issue.... there is other shit going on

Yeah, I got that, but I personally don't really see calling her Lady GayGay as being all THAT clever and it most certainly didn't make me chuckle. Did the article say he thought the shirt was funny? Cause...I didn't really see it being funny lol.

Long Duck Dong
Apr 30, 2010, 9:54 AM
interesting...... and amusing what you can find with a lil research

a complaint was added with the principal last year, regarding sexually explicit remarks made by mr goforth to a fellow male student and a complaint of sexual harassment of a male student

mr gofroth was assaulted at school for sexually provocative remarks to another student

mr goforth was not suspended from school over the tshirt but asked to change it...and his mother stopped him returning to school that day and was invited to address the school with HER issue with the dress code.... NOT her sons issues with it

rissababynta
Apr 30, 2010, 10:04 AM

a complaint was added with the principal last year, regarding sexually explicit remarks made by mr goforth to a fellow male student and a complaint of sexual harassment of a male student

mr gofroth was assaulted at school for sexually provocative remarks to another student

mr goforth was not suspended from school over the tshirt but asked to change it...and his mother stopped him returning to school that day and was invited to address the school with HER issue with the dress code.... NOT her sons issues with it

Hmmm....well LDD you do have to keep in mind too that some guys when they are a little homophobic tend to take anything a gay guys says to them as an offense...so for all we know this kid could really not be saying or doing anything wrong but the guys who are making reports are flying off the handle.

It does make you think though.

TwylaTwobits
Apr 30, 2010, 10:06 AM
okay asked to change the shirt......I still wanna know the dress code and if in fact other shit stirring things are not being addressed by the school. Personally I do not see that much a problem with the Confederate Flag if say it's the school flag, but if it's worn in a way to promote a return to slavery that would be an issue. If any pro or anti LGBT or pro or anti abortion or any other pro or anti sensitive "hot topic" is always addressed the same way by the school then it's a consistent policy and not infringing on his rights.

Now as for him getting a black eye from a girl....sorry sexuality doesn't make you a wimp, you being emo makes you a wimp. And yes I've seen the pic, classic emo so please don't go there.

The scenario about he was hit cause he turned her down cause he was gay...sorry, but that is something that really would only occur to some males. It just doesn't happen. Girls don't react that way. There is no information about the incident other than a small mention of it. So that tells me there is an ongoing problem with this kid at the school. Now reading what Duckie posted...I wonder if the male student this kid was accused of sexually harrassing was perhaps the girls brother or even her boyfriend. In which case the punch makes perfect sense to me, not a case of he was gay but a case of his actions reaping a consequence.

rissababynta
Apr 30, 2010, 10:14 AM
The scenario about he was hit cause he turned her down cause he was gay...sorry, but that is something that really would only occur to some males. It just doesn't happen. Girls don't react that way. There is no information about the incident other than a small mention of it. So that tells me there is an ongoing problem with this kid at the school. Now reading what Duckie posted...I wonder if the male student this kid was accused of sexually harrassing was perhaps the girls brother or even her boyfriend. In which case the punch makes perfect sense to me, not a case of he was gay but a case of his actions reaping a consequence.

The possible "scenario" you have presented seems to make a lot more sense. I could never see a girl react in that way because of being rejected by a guy, for whatever reason. Actually...a lot of people wouldn't act that way anyway. However, I have been known to crack a few people in the face, male or female, when trying to come between me and my boyfriend. Sure, physical violence isn't the answer yadda yadda yadda but...when you are beyond pissed because you find out this asshole is sitting here harassing the person you care about and actively trying to split you up for their benefit...you lose your cool haha. So yeah, I could see something like that.

Unless we actually read something saying WHY she lost it and punched him...we can assume all we want but we will just never know. It seems odd to think that she was walking past him in the hallway...said to herself "he's gay, I don't like that" and popped him in the face. Can't say it doesn't happen, but doesn't seem as likely as if something actually created the situation.

Long Duck Dong
Apr 30, 2010, 10:15 AM
school dress code (http://www1.ccboe.net/boepolicies/j/jcdb.pdf)

it includes this

No clothing shall be worn which is excessive or extreme in appearance, displays messages that are profane, vulgar, lewd, indecent or sexually suggestive, contains alcohol, tobacco or drug advertisements, or advocates criminal activity

that tells me its a open dress code, so that fits with that I know about kids being allowed to wear clothing with the lgbt pride colors to school........

there is a number of openly LGBT kids at the school.... that do not associate with mr goforth cos of issues with his behievour and attitude at the school..... and they do not want to be labelled by association......

that says a lot when even the LGBT crowd do not want you near them

MarieDelta
Apr 30, 2010, 10:19 AM

Hmmm

From where I am sitting explicit remarks dont exuse beating someone. In fact I can see a situation where a group of students(bullies) use this (or fabricate such an incident ) as a way to beat him, then blame him.

Dont know what the truth is around the case of "sexual harrassment" but I can see situations where the accusing individual is doing it to cause trouble.

This isn't over the small issue, which was won by Goforth, but about the larger issue of students taking their rights.

I still like this quote by Audre Lorde -

"I write for those women who do not speak, for those who do not have a voice because they were so terrified, because we are taught to respect fear more than ourselves. We've been taught that silence would save us, but it won't."

You dont have to go so far as to even make a school uniform required. Just ban T-shirts, if you are going to.

Because in a democracy like that of the US, you must allow, even protect, the minority point of view. These are the rules - either you ban all such "message" t-shirts or you allow them.

TwylaTwobits
Apr 30, 2010, 10:21 AM
Hmmm

From where I am sitting explicit remarks dont exuse beating someone. In fact I can see a situation where a group of students(bullies) use this (or fabricate such an incident ) as a way to beat him, then blame him.

Beating??? Exactly where was he beaten? I see a remark he got hit once by a female, that is not a beating.

MarieDelta
Apr 30, 2010, 10:23 AM
Beating??? Exactly where was he beaten? I see a remark he got hit once by a female, that is not a beating.

It was in the comment by LDD -

"mr gofroth was assaulted at school for sexually provocative remarks to another student"

rissababynta
Apr 30, 2010, 10:25 AM
In fact I can see a situation where a group of students(bullies) use this (or fabricate such an incident ) as a way to beat him, then blame him.

Dont know what the truth is around the case of "sexual harrassment" but I can see situations where the accusing individual is doing it to cause trouble.

This is pretty much what I was saying to LDD. We don't know for sure that people aren't causeing trouble and when people want to cause trouble, they look for the easiest thing to make up...and what is easier than saying a gay guy was making sexual remarks to you.

BUT...like I said before...we don't know for sure.

TwylaTwobits
Apr 30, 2010, 10:28 AM
It was in the comment by LDD -

"mr gofroth was assaulted at school for sexually provocative remarks to another student"

But the only thing I see mentioned about what the assault was... is the punch by a female that resulted in a black eye. In my book beating is repeatedly striking and it's defined as such in any dictionary. Sorry Marie, I know your thoughts on this but it is appearing more and more that Cole is a victim of his own mouth not his sexuality. In other words he's a typical kid and that's perfectly normal but not worthy of the national attention he will get simply because he is gay. As for the rest of your first post, yes it's nice they are trying to broaden the horizons for all students in all schools but is a seperate issue from this entire Cole thing. So I agree on the memo to the schools and wholeheartedly endorse it, but I can not agree on Cole.

MarieDelta
Apr 30, 2010, 10:30 AM
But the only thing I see mentioned about what the assault was... is the punch by a female that resulted in a black eye. In my book beating is repeatedly striking and it's defined as such in any dictionary. Sorry Marie, I know your thoughts on this but it is appearing more and more that Cole is a victim of his own mouth not his sexuality. In other words he's a typical kid and that's perfectly normal but not worthy of the national attention he will get simply because he is gay. As for the rest of your first post, yes it's nice they are trying to broaden the horizons for all students in all schools but is a seperate issue from this entire Cole thing. So I agree on the memo to the schools and wholeheartedly endorse it, but I can not agree on Cole.

I dont care one way or the other about Cole, but I am saying that it isnt right to ask him to step down from wearing whatever if others arent asked the same.

TwylaTwobits
Apr 30, 2010, 10:31 AM
I dont care one way or the other about Cole, but I am saying that it isnt right to ask him to step down from wearing whatever if others arent asked the same.

And we don't yet know if others aren't asked the same. The dress code was posted and it clearly says that articles of clothing with sensitive messages aren't allowed on either side of any situation. If it's enforced equally then we have no problem whatsoever.

MarieDelta
Apr 30, 2010, 10:37 AM
And we don't yet know if others aren't asked the same. The dress code was posted and it clearly says that articles of clothing with sensitive messages aren't allowed on either side of any situation. If it's enforced equally then we have no problem whatsoever.

Slight bit of correction:

"Sensitive" messages arent banned.

What is banned is: "messages that are profane, vulgar, lewd, indecent or sexually suggestive, contains alcohol, tobacco or drug advertisements, or advocates criminal activity "

Saying "I love Lady GayGay" doesnt fall under any of those items that I can see...

As far as other students being friends with him. That is a non-issue, there could be any one of a dozen reasons for that. Perhaps he is "too gay". I dunno.

TwylaTwobits
Apr 30, 2010, 10:40 AM
Slight bit of correction:

"Sensitive" messages arent banned.

What is banned is: "messages that are profane, vulgar, lewd, indecent or sexually suggestive, contains alcohol, tobacco or drug advertisements, or advocates criminal activity "

Saying "I love Lady GayGay" doesnt fall under any of those items that I can see...

As far as other students being friends with him. That is a non-issue, there could be any one of a dozen reasons for that. Perhaps he is "too gay". I dunno.

Perhaps the school ruled it to be sexually suggestive or otherwise, we'll have to wait til the smoke clears on that one. Still love ya hon and hugs you again even though the national day has passed :)

Long Duck Dong
Apr 30, 2010, 10:42 AM
students are allowed to wear lgbt pride and gay pride colors, clothing.....

what the issue was, was the wording...... and that is up to the principal / super.... so if it was a anti gay action.... then why is the lgbt pride and gay pride colors allowed....

if we take into account the fact the super may not be aware of what lady gay gay means..... he may have read it as I love feminine gays.....

that is a possibility... and I am allowing for that possibility, knowing that there are times that even the LGBT are not aware of some meanings....lol

MarieDelta
Apr 30, 2010, 10:45 AM
the last page of the article:

Last week, after the ACLU explained the law to school administrators, Greenbrier High and Robertson County Schools reversed their stance and cleared the way for students to wear any T-shirt bearing any message as long as it meets the district's dress code, Assistant Superintendent Danny Weeks confirmed. District officials also agreed to make clear to students and staff that harassment of any student — regardless of race, gender or sexual orientation — will not be tolerated.

Greenbrier High School Principal Steve Sorrells did not respond to a request for comment.

Schools aren't a free speech zone, nor should they be spaces where cliques and labels are encouraged, said Frederick Hess, the director of education policy studies at the American Enterprise Institute, which advocates for conservative policies. Once a school opens the door to some student perspectives — even if they are printed on a T-shirt — it has an obligation to treat all messages the same way.

"It's evenhanded to let them all wear T-shirts with their messages of choice or prohibit message T-shirts altogether," Hess said.

Emphasis mine

Already been decided. School decided that they were in the wrong and reversed course.

TwylaTwobits
Apr 30, 2010, 10:55 AM
Then the problem is already solved.

MarieDelta
Apr 30, 2010, 11:02 AM
Sorry , thought I had said that before, but it seems I hadn't...

TwylaTwobits
Apr 30, 2010, 11:04 AM
No worries, hon. It was an interesting debate though... wow intelligent responses, no slams, no multi quote attacks and all involved able to see both sides even if they didn't agree with both. That's what makes this site a home for all.

MarieDelta
Apr 30, 2010, 4:56 PM
Some statistics to add before I let this thread sink to the bottom

•36.5 % of GLB youth grades 9-12 have attempted suicide. 20.5% of those attempts resulting in medical care. (Robin, L., Brener, N.D., Donahue, S.F., Hack, T., Hale, K., Goodenow, C. (2002). Associations between health risk behaviors and opposite-, same-, and both-sex sexual partners in representative samples of Vermont and Massachusetts high school students. Archives of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine, 156(4): pp. 349-55.)

•Gay and lesbian youth are 2 to 3 times more likely to attempt suicide than heterosexual young people. (Rotheram–Borus, M., Hunter, J., & Rosario, M. (1994). Suicidal behavior and gay-related stress among gay and bisexual male adolescents. Journal of adolescent research, 9 (4), pp. 498 – 508.)

•As many as 1 in 3 gay and lesbian youth have attempted suicide. (Remafedi, G., Farrow, J.A., & Deisher, R.W. (1991). Risk factors for attempted suicide in gay and bisexual youth. Pediatrics, 87, pp. 869–875.)

•In a 1998 health survey conducted by Youth Pride, Inc. aimed at LGBTQQ youth, 58% of respondents reported that they had felt suicidal as teenagers.

•According to a 1999 study reported using data collected among Massachusetts high school students in 1995, gay, lesbian, bisexual, and questioning high school students were more than three (3.41) times more likely to report having attempted suicide than their straight peers. (Garofalo, R., Wolf, R.C., Wissow, L.S., Woods, E.R., Goodman, E. Sexual orientation and risk of suicide attempts among a representative sample of youth. Archive of Pediatric Adolescent Medicine. 1999 May;153(5):pp. 487-93.)

•A 2002 survey found that 21% of men who have sex with men had made plans to attempt suicide; 12% reported actually having made the attempt, and of those, nearly half had made multiple attempts. Most who attempted suicide had made their first attempt before age 25. (Paul, J., Catania, J., Pollack, L., Moskowitz, J., Canchola, J., Mills, T., Binson D., Stall R. Suicide attempts among gay and bisexual men: lifetime prevalence and antecedents. American Journal of Public Health. 2002 Aug;92(8):pp. 1338-45.)

VERBAL HARASSMENT

•84% of LGBT students report being verbally harassed (name calling, threats, etc.) because of their sexual orientation.

•91.5% of LGBT students report hearing homophobic remarks, such as “faggot,” “dyke” or the expression “that’s so gay” frequently or often.

•44.7% of LGBT youth of color report being verbally harassed because of both their sexual orientation and race/ethnicity.

•Students who experience frequent verbal harassment because of their sexual orientation are less likely than other students to plan to attend college. 13.4% of LGBT students who report verbal harassment do not intend to go to college, twice the figure of those LGBT students who report only rare or less frequent verbal harassment (6.7%).

•82.9% of LGBT students report that faculty or staff never intervened or intervened only some of the time when present and homophobic remarks were made.
(All from GLSEN. (2003). The 2003 national school climate survey: the school related experiences of our nation’s lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender youth.)

•A 2006 report by the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force describes the 'Hell Houses' created by right-wing religious groups as an alternative to traditional haunted houses, with the intention of scaring children into a sin-free life. Homosexuality is featured as a damnable sin in these displays, with depictions of the 'sinner' burning in Hell, a lesbian teenager committing suicide, and a male couple at their marriage being forced to swear never to believe that they're 'normal.' It is estimated that 1.6 million people, some as young as 10 years old, visited 'Hell Houses' in 2006. (Kennedy, S. and Cianciotto, J. (2006). Homophobia at "Hell House": Literally demonizing lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender youth. New York: National Gay and Lesbian Task Force Policy Institute, http://thetaskforce.org/downloads/reports/reports/Homophobia_Hell_House.pdf.

•In a 2005 GLSEN survey of LGBT youth, 90% reported experiencing verbal or physical harassment or verbal assault in the past year. (Harris Interactive & GLSEN (2005). From teasing to torment: School climate in America - a survey of students and teachers. Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network.)

•97% of high school students report hearing homophobic remarks regularly from peers. (Massachusetts Governor’s commission on gay and lesbian youth. (1993). Making schools safe for gay and lesbian youth.)

•53% of students report hearing homophobic comments made by school staff. (Philadelphia lesbian and gay task force. (1992). Discrimination and violence towards lesbian women and gay men in the Philadelphia and the commonwealth of Pennsylvania.)

ISOLATION
•80% of gay and bisexual youth report severe problems with cognitive, social, or emotional isolation. (Hetrick-Martin Institute (1992). Fact file: lesbian, gay, and bisexual youth. New York.)

•50% of lesbian and gay youth report parental rejection because of their sexual orientation. (Remafedi, G. (1987). Male homosexuality: the adolescent’s perspective. Pediatrics, 79, 326–330.)

•4 out of 5 students in school don’t know 1 supportive adult in their school environment. (Massachusetts High School Students and Sexual Orientation Youth Risk Behavior Survey, 2001.)

•A 2002 study of recent participants in an 'ex-gay' conversion program reported that, out of 202 participants, only 8 reported being completely 'cured.' Out of those 8, seven were employed by the program as counselors, four of whom were paid. 176 of the participants were classified as 'failures,' and of these, 155 reported significant long-term harm, including depression and suicidal thoughts, complete loss of religious faith, and deteriorating relationships with family and friends. 18 of the participants were forced to undergo shock therapy and induced vomiting. (Shidlo, A & Schroeder, M. (2002). Changing sexual orientation: A consumer’s report. Professional Psychology: Research and Practice, 33(3), 249-259.)

VIOLENCE

•64.3% of LGBT students report feeling unsafe at their school because of their sexual orientation. (GLSEN. (2003). The 2003 national school climate survey: the school related experiences of our nation’s lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender youth.)

•In one study, 41% of self-identified gay and lesbian young people reported violence at the hands of families, peers, or strangers. (Hunter, J. (1990). Violence against lesbian and gay male youths. Journal of interpersonal violence, 5(3), 295-300.)

•Sexual minority students were more than twice as likely to report being in a physical fight at school in the prior year (31.5% of sexual minority students vs. 12.9% of others).

•Sexual minority students more often reported that they had missed school in the past month because they felt unsafe (19.1% of sexual minority students vs. 5.6% of others).
(Above two from Massachusetts Department of Education. (1999). The 1999 Massachusetts youth risk behavior survey (MYRBS). Massachusetts department of education HIV/AIDS program and the disease control and prevention (CDC)).

•A 2002 study found that bisexual students were three to six times more likely than their straight classmates to be threatened or injured with a weapon at school. (Robin L., Brener N.D., Donahue S.F., Hack T., Hale K., Goodenow C. Associations between health risk behaviors and opposite-, same-, and both-sex sexual partners in representative samples of Vermont and Massachusetts high school students. Archive of Pediatric Adolescent Medicine. 2002 Apr. 156(4):349-55.)

•FBI data shows that in 2005, 13.8% of hate crimes in the U.S.A., a total of 1,213 attacks, were motivated by bias against the victim's sexual orientation. 61.3% of those were committed against men who were or were perceived to be gay, while 1.9% of victims were or were perceived to be straight. (Robin L., Brener N.D., Donahue S.F., Hack T., Hale K., Goodenow C. Associations between health risk behaviors and opposite-, same-, and both-sex sexual partners in representative samples of Vermont and Massachusetts high school students. Archive Pediatric Adolescent Medicine. 2002 Apr. 156(4):349-55.)

•A 2001 study found that LGBQ teenagers are more likely to experience, witness, and/or perpetrate violence than their straight peers. (Russell S.T., Franz B.T., Driscoll A.K. Same-sex romantic attraction and experiences of violence in adolescence. Adolscent Journal of Public Health. 2001 Jun. 91(6):903-6.)

•A 2002 study found that LGB students who are victims of violence at school have elevated risk of suicidal and other health-risk behavior. (Bontempo, D., D'Augelli, A. (2002). Effects of at-school victimization and sexual orientation on lesbian, gay, or bisexual youths' health risk behavior. Journal of Adolescent Health. May;30(5):pp. 364-74.)

TRANSGENDER-SPECIFIC STATISTICS

•33.2% of transgender youth have attempted suicide. Clements-Nolle K., Marx R., Katz M. (2006). Attempted suicide among transgender persons: The influence of gender-based discrimination and victimization. Journal of Homosexuality, 51(3): 53-69.)

•55% of transgender youth report being physically attacked. (GLSEN. (2003). The 2003 national school climate survey: the school related experiences of our nation’s lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender youth.)

•74% of transgender youth reported being sexually harassed at school, and 90% of transgender youth reported feeling unsafe at school because of their gender expression. (GLSEN. (2001). The 2001 national school climate survey: the school related experiences of our nation’s lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender youth.)

•In a survey of 403 transgender people, 78% reported having been verbally harassed and 48% reported having been victims of assault, including assault with a weapon, sexual assault or rape. (Wilchins, R., Lombardi, E., Priesing, D. and Malouf, D. (1997) First national survey of transgender violence. Gender Public Advocacy Coalition.)

•In 2002, a study was published that found that bisexual students in Massachusetts and Vermont were three to six times more likely to use cocaine than their straight classmates. (Robin, L., Brener, N., Donahue, S., Hack, T., Hale, K., Goodenow, C. Associations between health risk behaviors and opposite-, same-, and both-sex sexual partners in representative samples of Vermont and Massachusetts high school students. Archive of Pediatric Adolescent Medicine. Apr;156(4): pp.349-55.)
http://www.youthprideri.org/Resources/Statistics/tabid/227/Default.aspx