PDA

View Full Version : good article on polyamory...

mikey3000
Apr 28, 2010, 9:07 PM
I found this article to be very beneficial as I am is a poly relationship.

http://www.more.ca/relationships/married-life/polyamory-inside-an-open-marriage/a/29927

Hope you enjoy it.

mrscurious
Apr 28, 2010, 9:58 PM
Wow that is a good article. I am in a 4 way relationship right now so any advise is greatly appreciated.

Lady_Passion
Apr 29, 2010, 11:52 AM
That was good reading. Been looking into polyamory lately. Ordered a book called "The Ethical Slut" and it's interesting that I had to go through several stores before ordering. Every store said it's one of the hardest books to keep in stock. In fact, the one on order was already on its way to the store so they had to order again.

kinsey4
Jul 5, 2010, 2:39 AM
Yep, great article... thanks for sharing! :D

NotLostJustWandering
Jul 5, 2010, 4:02 AM
Yes, it's a good read, though it does pigeonhole poly a bit, doesn't it? Need I point out that the scope here is strictly hetero, for starters. And then the only relationship model given is primary couple + secondary third (notwithstanding that one of the secondaries in this story has another lover of his own.) There's no suggestion of an alternate model, say a triad or quad within which everyone is primary, and ironically the assumption that one can't balance loves underlines the sweeping argument against polyamory voiced here.

I'm guessing that the reason we only see the primary couple + secondary third model here is due to the hetero filter. My thought is that bisexuals have other reasons for polyamory which might incline us to pursue more balanced polyamorous relationships. But I'm new to all this and am just spinning theory out of my own desires. Anyone else want to share a thought?

TulsaTriad1
Jul 7, 2010, 1:38 AM
There's no suggestion of an alternate model, say a triad or quad within which everyone is primary

We refer to our relationship as "an equilateral triangle," and people pretty much get it.

Another good metaphor: "It takes two to tango, but it takes three legs to make a milkstool."

Okay, maybe not the greatest metaphor, but we do see the inherent stability of three, and we're not sure that the relationship(s) would have been manageable with more partners.

BI BOYTOY
Jul 7, 2010, 2:00 AM
It is a good artical,,, i dont hear much about poly relationships...

NotLostJustWandering
Jul 7, 2010, 3:41 AM
We refer to our relationship as "an equilateral triangle," and people pretty much get it.

Another good metaphor: "It takes two to tango, but it takes three legs to make a milkstool."

Okay, maybe not the greatest metaphor, but we do see the inherent stability of three, and we're not sure that the relationship(s) would have been manageable with more partners.

Congratulations. Always encouraging to hear of people who have found what I'm looking for. Would love to hear your story; how long have you been together? How did you meet?

csreef
Jul 7, 2010, 4:06 PM
This was a very good article on polyamory...I went to a poly group, just a meeting at a diner...A very atractive woman was chatting me up, saying how she "needed love" and how she "needed a new boyfriend" ect...her husband was sitting next to her, grinding his teeth, playing with his steak knife, glaring at me, so I decided " maybe some other time...

Later I learned that He had divorced her after almost assulting one of her boyfriends....

TulsaTriad1
Jul 8, 2010, 7:16 AM
Congratulations. Always encouraging to hear of people who have found what I'm looking for. Would love to hear your story; how long have you been together? How did you meet?
We may not be a good model.

We'd known each other for over 15 years before we came together. Now we've been three for over 7 more.

It was one of those situations where we had been two couples with close, family-type friendship; raised our kids together. Then his spouse headed off for NY with lofty, "taking a sabbatical, back someday" pronouncements.

We took him in, fell in love, and moved our beds together.

Actually, maybe that is a pretty good model. We definitely believe that our own stable marriage and our long-term love and friendship are what made it work. As my wife is fond of saying, "It's not like we picked him up in a bar."

And I guess it sounds like diners might not be such a good idea either. :)

Bi_Druid
Jul 8, 2010, 4:40 PM
That was a good article (have posted it on the Brighton Polyamory Society Facebook page).