PDA

View Full Version : Lady Gaga's Bad Romance music video

Bluebiyou
Apr 24, 2010, 9:26 AM
I am simply awash in artistic admiration.
In younger days I would have shunned the virtue of anything 'pop'.
Now, I resist the gag reflex of something labeled 'pop' because on rare occasions 'pop' puts out something really good.
Now, Lady Gaga's Bad Romance music video is a full meal course for audio visual entertainment.
I consider it in the same league as Michael Jackson's Thriller.
I could produce a lengthy analysis as to why Bad Romance music video is so damn good, but... okay I'll just do a short one.
Music, while 'pop' (cough, gasp, sputter) the song is filled with fantastic 'hooks", one after another; with enough change as to be far from monotonous (relying on one or two good "hooks"), and dynamic - from solo harpsichord to german techno and back.
Imagery, the harshness (both geometric and suggestive) of the razor blade glasses complemented by the metal outfit, the vinyl costumes, the cute 'big eyes', the use of short, abrupt forearm movement dance clips, the self depreciating "fashion" music hook with her outrageous fashion costume, the stark black and white contrast imagery of her wearing the polar bear robe (that's my desktop background now), the flames of passion, exaggerated poses, then concluding with the flaming hot sex "dirty girl" humor ironically accompanied by the harpsichord.
I think the ghost of Salvador Dali visits Lady Gaga regularly.

This video was only released in Nov (a little over 5 months ago) and presently at 187 million views is the most watched video of all time on youtube.
Did I mention I really like this music video?

bemyonlyone
Apr 24, 2010, 10:35 AM
I personally think Gaga is a legend in the making.

I am a huge fan...and "Bad Romance," both the song and video--good stuff. I can't believe she wrote it. The songs I write are all crap when I compare them to most stuff out there, let alone Gaga. She's amazing. Even artists who have been around for a long time, like Madonna, are humbled by her sheer raw talent.

And she can actually PLAY AN INSTRUMENT...and amazingly well.

Throw in the fact that she's bisexual and, imo, pretty cute, and well, what more could you ask for?

:D

MarieDelta
Apr 24, 2010, 10:47 AM
Try her "Tellephone" video, too..

Yep, she is the next Madonna, IMO

bemyonlyone
Apr 24, 2010, 10:52 AM
Hmm, I wouldn't even compare her to Madonna. She is something else again.

I love "Telephone"! :)

TwylaTwobits
Apr 24, 2010, 11:35 AM
I first started out as just avoiding Lady Gaga simply cause she was getting all this press. I listened to a song one day and thought....wow this person can sing and those lyrics.....it was Lady Gaga's Just Dance. Since then I've been a fan.

tenni
Apr 24, 2010, 11:41 AM
I think that it is "Telephone" that is being compared to Michael Jackson's "Thriller" rather than "Romance". Visually, her videos and live performances are a very refreshing change. She is a "performance artist" and the first one that I can recall to get involved with music and music videos. Performance Art is something else and difficult to pin down. I think that she is great. The strange part is that she also seems to use sections that become so embedded in my mind that they keep repeating in the same way as certain commercial jingles use to do. I do not see that so much today. I can not decide if the "stuck in your mind" parts of her songs is a good or a bad thing? I do know that her visuals are stunning. I don't think that she can dance quite as well as Madonna or Jackson though. Then again, I don't see Madonna or Jackson as performance artists.

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Apr 24, 2010, 11:42 AM
When she first started out I kinda avioded her because of all the glitz and costumings, marking for just another hard rocker type. But after listening to a couple of her songs, I discovered that under all the weird gear, shes got some good music. I know her look is for her image and that's fine, I just like her music..:} Love Poker Face an Paparazzi. :}
Cat

Bluebiyou
Jul 30, 2010, 12:54 AM
And...
an excellent parody that takes nothing away from the original.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mfPkU_UJu0

TamLin
Jul 30, 2010, 4:15 AM
I tend to interpret the video as a comment on the objectifying nature of celebrity. She's a captive, forced to perform for the audience, and put into potentially degrading or humiliating situations for their amusement. They quite literally treat her like a material commodity (like the various gaudy, decadent luxuries they're surrounded by), actually bidding on and "buying" her, which is about as overt a comment on the way that pop culture shunts young female musicians into this bizarre meat market that the music industry has become.

At the same time though we see that being a part of that system gives her an element of power over the masses. She can turn the game around on them and manipulate them thanks to the very fact that they've fetishized her in the way they have, and in the end she overwhelms them in a rather, er, graphic illustration of what happens when the system encounters a talent too big for their narrow conventions.

Keep in mind that doesn't really reflect my opinion of her work, just my interpretation of what the video has to say about her career and about fame in general.

littlerayofsunshine
Jul 30, 2010, 9:43 AM
I like alot of Gaga's stuff. Alejandro wasn't her best one, though the video to it is HOT. But for the most part, I enjoy her satire, her sensuality and the in your face approach she has.

Boy and girl band groups were way over rated for me, so during that pandemic I returned to the older ways of music to tide me over until something came along worth listening too.

H0wardmoon
Jul 30, 2010, 11:44 AM
The only video I've actually seen is Telephone, and it creeped me out. It was a lot more nihilistic than I thought it would be.

I can understand the whole Thelma And Louise thing, but why kill everybody?

Oh, and I *do* find it a little odd that she's been called the first truly "weird" female pop star (as opposed to quirky).Hello?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vy3fsj-aGWw

Doggiestyle
Jul 31, 2010, 11:39 PM
I love Lady Gaga, and I love her music!!! To me, she is the ultimate "bad girl"!!! :cool:

I bet that she is the ultimate in kinky and would be very fun, with a group, in bed! :grouphug: The only way I could turn her down, would have to be face down. :rolleyes:

She and I do seem to have one thing in common, were both of the exhibitionist type! only she, not me, needs to be real careful in public. She, not me, has a lot of eyes on her (both human and electronic) and to be careful what she shows and be careful about being inebriated in public. Because the eyes can and will turn her into something terrible, if they can. :eek: There in the past, have been too many examples of this.

Like I said, I love her anyway ,,,, Her friend,, :doggie:

kinsey4
Aug 1, 2010, 11:31 PM
I don't think she's particularly original. Entertaining, yes, talented, yes, but I close my eyes and I hear Madonna, Annie Lennox and Ace of Base, with a bit of Michael Jackson thrown in for good measure. I'm inclined to think that's why so much effort goes into the IMAGERY - it seems to me that she's trying to distract us so we won't realise we've actually heard the music before.

And despite her alleged 'championing' of queer identity, I don't think she does a lot for us. The way I see it, she simply trots out all the old stereotypes - bisexuals are promiscuous, deranged and dangerous, we kill people (but look glam doing it). Sure, she does a whole lot of girl-on-girl-on-girl snogging in her videos, but does she actually SING about RELATIONSHIPS with women? She reduces queer sexuality to sexual acts, and by depicting herself as a 'freak' while locking lips with women she's reinforcing notions that non-standard sexuality is deviant, something 'naughty' to flirt with for men's sexual titillation. And as for liberating women, where are the normal-looking, average, butch or other gender-transgressive women in her videos, other than in prison?

I don't think she's doing any of us any favours.