PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about getting an new dog or cat? Think about a shelter animal

12voltman59
Apr 13, 2010, 11:03 PM
I ran across this video---just goes to show that just because some animal might seem to be a bad candidate for placement in an adoption program---the animal mght just need a touch of TLC.

Think of getting a cat or dog or other animal that might be in a shelter for your next furry friend.

http://jezebel.com/5516009/your-morning-cry-shelter-dog-rescued-in-her-final-hour

djones
Apr 13, 2010, 11:32 PM
Proud owner/spoiler of two amazing German Shepherds - both from rescue !

No one believes that I didn't pay a thousands of dollars for my dogs - each one is a credit to the breed, and each would have been put down in shelter had not the German Shepherd Rescue fostered them until I (or someone like you someday ?) adopted them.

Shelters / Rescue Groups are the way to go for great animal companions !

FalconAngel
Apr 13, 2010, 11:46 PM
Proud owners of a 2 year old GSD/Amer. Bulldog mix. Got her as free to good home from one of wife's co-workers.

T.A.N.S.T.A.A.F.P (there ain't no such thing as a free puppy) :bigrin::eek:

However we do volunteer at the local Humane Society shelter. Can't stay away from the doggies. Last week the wife was doing pet therapy on an adorable Great Dane puppy (5 months old) that wants to grow up to be a lap dog, :tong: and I had the sweetest little American Staffordshire female that was totally lovable.

We handle 20 dogs per trip down there.

Long Duck Dong
Apr 13, 2010, 11:54 PM
I can not go near any animal shelters, cos you can bet ya last dollar, I would take every pet they have.....

I do not have pets, I have companions... and yeah i have a few friends that reckon that I can love a cat, more than I can ever love a human....

cats are not two faced, they either love you or they don't,
dogs may bite you, cats will destroy your furniture,
dogs will jump up on you and say hi, cats will lick their butts then rub against ya face,
cats will clean their crap in the garden, dogs will let you walk in it...
cats will grab you birds, dogs will bring you burglars and the occasional postman
cats will curl up on your legs, dogs will try to hump them....
but they endears them to you in ways that no human can

TwylaTwobits
Apr 14, 2010, 12:02 AM
The dog I currently have I got from a program at the pet store where you only have to pay for the cost of the shots $48, he's neutered for free as well. A half rott/half spheperd mix and boy can that dog eat.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v702/KitRawlings/Wulfgar/wulfgar006.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v702/KitRawlings/Wulfgar/wulfgar001.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v702/KitRawlings/Wulfgar/wulfgar005.jpg

Those pics are from back when he was a pup, I live in the country so yes, he's an outside dog. Kept him indoors til he got big enough to handle any coyotes that came around (sorry coyotedude) and he's happy as can be.

FalconAngel
Apr 14, 2010, 12:17 AM
That is one adorable little furball.

You should have him on Doggyspace.com

It is myspace for dogs and our little (only 52 lbs) Boudica is there as well.

TwylaTwobits
Apr 14, 2010, 12:19 AM
yeah he woofed that he was too sexy for the pixels the last time I tried to take a pic now that he's over a year and a half old.

darkeyes
Apr 14, 2010, 8:23 AM
Me cant have doggie cos we both work an r out all day an go out a lot at otha times.. an cant hav a cat cos Fran gets all blotchy an sneezy wiv the runny nose, teary, blood shot an bleery eyes.. an sure don mind the idea if we cud a adoptin a pet from a rescue place.. often saves on house trainin an the like...

.. but think on this... 2days puppy or kitten is ver often tomoro's rescue doggie or pussie.. :(

12voltman59
Apr 14, 2010, 1:45 PM
I hope ya'all watched the video on the doggie--little guy just needed some "sugah!"

That puppie sure is cute--or was when he was a pup----guess you had to take out a line of credit to pay the food bill for that guy!!

FalconAngel
Apr 14, 2010, 9:27 PM
Me cant have doggie cos we both work an r out all day an go out a lot at otha times.. an cant hav a cat cos Fran gets all blotchy an sneezy wiv the runny nose, teary, blood shot an bleery eyes.. an sure don mind the idea if we cud a adoptin a pet from a rescue place.. often saves on house trainin an the like...

.. but think on this... 2days puppy or kitten is ver often tomoro's rescue doggie or pussie.. :(

Shame about that Fran.

Because the perfect dogs for folks that work all day, believe it or not, are Mastifs and Great Danes. They are big old lovable couch potatoes.

FalconAngel
Apr 14, 2010, 9:37 PM
I can not go near any animal shelters, cos you can bet ya last dollar, I would take every pet they have.....

I do not have pets, I have companions... and yeah i have a few friends that reckon that I can love a cat, more than I can ever love a human....

cats are not two faced, they either love you or they don't,
dogs may bite you, cats will destroy your furniture,
dogs will jump up on you and say hi, cats will lick their butts then rub against ya face,
cats will clean their crap in the garden, dogs will let you walk in it...
cats will grab you birds, dogs will bring you burglars and the occasional postman
cats will curl up on your legs, dogs will try to hump them....
but they endears them to you in ways that no human can

Dogs have owners, cats have service staff.:bigrin:

FalconAngel
Apr 14, 2010, 9:43 PM
I hope ya'all watched the video on the doggie--little guy just needed some "sugah!"

That puppie sure is cute--or was when he was a pup----guess you had to take out a line of credit to pay the food bill for that guy!!

We see quite a few dogs at the shelter that act like that. Some come out of their shells fairly quickly, while others take weeks.

We had one, a GSD that took weeks before she would let us get near her. After about 3 weeks, she was almost as warm and friendly as ever. She still needed a little work, but she was ready to be adopted.

cliffordmontero
Apr 15, 2010, 1:58 AM
I got my spoiled little cat from a box of kittens someone was getting ready to throw in the local shelter parking lot . . . my little micha is the most spoiled little thing . . . she is downright crazy too . . . separation anxiety . . . pulls out all her hair if i am away for long and wont eat unless i am eating too so i dont get to eat out much . . . but i love her and she loves me . . . she is in my lap now . . . shes such a baby . . . 2 years old and still tiny

darkeyes
Apr 15, 2010, 3:40 AM
Shame about that Fran.

Because the perfect dogs for folks that work all day, believe it or not, are Mastifs and Great Danes. They are big old lovable couch potatoes.

Falcie..wont a doggie that me can play wiv an hav fun..not 1 twice me size!!! All me life we hav had border collies.. funnily enuff so did Kate...

Our doggies always did agility trainin.. an no dog is betta than a collie for that... cept mayb a an Australian Shepherd an thats arguable, an wot else r they but big collies?? Used 2 luff the trainin an we did shows n stuff.. neva won bugga all.. but it wos fun an brings doggie, who luff it, an owner much closer togetha.. an keeps them (an us) fit...... an wile Mastifs an G8 Danes mite b couch potatoes.. still think they wud b betta wiv some daytime company.. dogs r social animals no matta the size..

still_shy
Apr 15, 2010, 12:58 PM
My husband just brought home a beautiful cat at lunch today...she is a gorgeous long haired black and gray fluffy ball of sweetness :) She just curls up on my lap and purrs and nuzzles me....I'm not sure if I can find her a home, I already love her. My other cat is having some major issues with another cat in the house though...she's hissing at the new cat and won't let me go near her. Not sure how this is going to work out. I'm furious with the guys my husband works with, they were going to hit her on the head with a sledgehammer and throw her in the dumpster. I can't believe how heartless people can be about animals, I'm 30 years old and still amazed at the level of cruelty some people have.

open2both
Apr 15, 2010, 1:15 PM
I "rescued" a Lab...BEST THING I EVER DID!

12voltman59
Apr 15, 2010, 3:16 PM
Both of my current kitties----they were rescues of some sort---this one is Buddy--he was a stray that adopted me---he is cute and sweet one sec----a little devil the next!!

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r216/mpgarr/PA250014.jpg

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r216/mpgarr/DSC00702.jpg

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r216/mpgarr/P9230002.jpg

This one is Rainbow--she is more friendly and outgoing than she used to be--but she is still a skittish cat and man--she sees me with something like a camera--she is all scared---so I am lucky to get a pic of her---she was a shelter rescue about six or so years back now.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r216/mpgarr/P1270065.jpg

This one was Crayola--she died two years ago now--she was a very unique cat--she had a real personality----sure do miss that little girl!

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r216/mpgarr/P1010034.jpg

x_nina_x
Apr 15, 2010, 3:44 PM
my cat walked in my back door one day and hasn't left - she is the secpnd cat i have had in mmy life :)

FalconAngel
Apr 15, 2010, 11:48 PM
Falcie..wont a doggie that me can play wiv an hav fun..not 1 twice me size!!! All me life we hav had border collies.. funnily enuff so did Kate...

Our doggies always did agility trainin.. an no dog is betta than a collie for that... cept mayb a an Australian Shepherd an thats arguable, an wot else r they but big collies?? Used 2 luff the trainin an we did shows n stuff.. neva won bugga all.. but it wos fun an brings doggie, who luff it, an owner much closer togetha.. an keeps them (an us) fit...... an wile Mastifs an G8 Danes mite b couch potatoes.. still think they wud b betta wiv some daytime company.. dogs r social animals no matta the size..

True enough, but Mastifs and Great Danes are comfortable with being left alone while you work (they know you'll be back), and they do like to play when given the chance.

But a good choice, if you don't want a dog that is HUGE, then there is also the Viszla or Labrador. But labs are very high energy as puppies and need more work than something like a GSD (Alsatian to you folks in the UK).

A GSD mix is a great choice, too, because the GSD is a very intelligent breed and a lot easier to train.

Yes dogs are social animals, which is one reason that humans and dogs have had such a long and strong connection.

FalconAngel
Apr 15, 2010, 11:55 PM
I "rescued" a Lab...BEST THING I EVER DID!

My second dog was a Labby that we got from a friend of my Dad's that was moving to an apartment that didn't allow dogs. My first dog was a very exceptional Collie that my uncle trained for us (I was 5). After the Lab, we had a GSD/Toy Collie mix, then a mutt, then an Alaskan Malamute, then I was overseas for a while, then a GSD/Lab mix, then a chow/GSD/Lab/Rottweiller mix, who had puppies and we kept one. Now we have our GSD/Amer. Bulldog mix (our doggy daughter who is so spoiled, like you would not believe).

12voltman59
Apr 16, 2010, 9:36 AM
Anyone have any suggestions for a dog breed??? I have been thinking about getting a dog for a few years now-haven't gotten one for some reason.

I know I want a dog that is on the smaller side----something that has got a pretty good temperment too----not highly energetic like some sort of terrier, even though I want a dog of that size. I am pretty sure that I will get a rescue dog and would get one that is an adult dog----I love puppies of course----but just don't want to deal with all that puppy energy and such.

I like big dogs but I don't have all that big an area of living space in the city---and my lake place is not that big even though it has a nice yard---a big dog just doesn't work for me.

I really like Pugs--and I have found some rescue orgs for that breed---I like that they are small and compact--and like that they are so ugly they become cute.--I know that the breed tends to get along with cats--since some friends have both and they get along fine---my only concern with Pugs is that they can often get health issues due to the crinkles in their face which does cause problems with their breathing passages---if I got one and had to get the dog surgery to help them breath---I would---I just would rather not get hit with facing the dog having to have one of those expensive surgeries.

I've also been thinking of "weiner dogs" both regular and toy sizes---they tend to be pretty good dogs---just hope such a dog would not chase the cats. I have found a rescue org for them too.

Of course---with any individual dog I might chose----being nice to the kitties is a big consideration and would make sure that a particular dog I was considering doesn't go after cats.

Anyone have experience with both these breeds---or something else you might suggest?? I am curious to hear your suggestions--thanks.

CalanderGirl
Apr 16, 2010, 9:43 AM
Proud owner of a Golden Retriever that's been rescued. He is the most wonderful dog in the world! He is very sensitive; but is well worth every ounce of attention and patience!

gfofbiguy
Apr 16, 2010, 9:46 AM
Hi Volty,

We have both a Dachshund and a cat. We had the cat first, and she was probably about nine or ten when we adopted our Doxie from the shelter. Bella (our Doxie) LOVES cats. Tasha (our cat) does not like ANYONE, be it having 2-feet or 4-feet. Bella has been trying to "make friends" with Tasha for about 3 years now. Tasha will now bump noses with Bella and then will raise a paw to swat her (but doesn't connect). Whenever we walk Bella around our apartment complex and she sees another cat, she makes a beeline to it which got her a swat on the nose from one of the roaming cats around here. She just loves cats. But in all honesty, I think it just really depends on the dog - not just the breed - of whether or not it will get along with cats. A lot of shelters will help you pick the "right" dog for you in your circumstances, one that does get along with a multi-cat family :) Good luck!!

csrakate
Apr 16, 2010, 9:55 AM
I've also been thinking of "weiner dogs" both regular and toy sizes---they tend to be pretty good dogs---just hope such a dog would not chase the cats. I have found a rescue org for them too.

You know how I feel about "weiners" voltie! LOL! My 10 yo miniature weiner dog, Frieda has fully accepted our cat...the cat came afterward so Frieda maintained a slight bit of dominance...but the cat had his front claws for a bit so respect was established. Dachshunds are very loving dogs and very loyal...but they do demand your attention and tend to be a bit jealous...I still can't get too close to the hubby when Frieda is around...she gets between us every time!

I would be a bad doggy parent if I didn't mention our Boston Terrier...but as you mentioned, terriers tend to be a bit hyper and they need LOTS of attention. BUT...that being said, I wouldn't trade our BT for the world...even if he did eat part of my sofa LOL!

We also had a golden retriever for 12 years...they are awesome dogs....gentle giants...but the puppyhood is difficult. While they are very loving at a young age, they are only small for a short time...they rapidly become LARGE puppies with LITTLE puppy brains. Training them can be difficult...but once you get past that stage, they are by far, the calmest, sweetest dogs in the world!

MarieDelta
Apr 16, 2010, 9:58 AM
Voltie,

I think both breeds would work for you.

Here is a tool that might help.
http://www.iams.com/EukGlobal/GLOBAL/en/jsp/breed/breedSelector/DogBreedSelector.jsp

(Proud owner of a miniature pinscher , rescued)
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z84/mariesophia66/ATT00042-1.jpg

Doggie_Wood
Apr 16, 2010, 10:41 AM
Voltie,

I think both breeds would work for you.

Here is a tool that might help.
http://www.iams.com/EukGlobal/GLOBAL/en/jsp/breed/breedSelector/DogBreedSelector.jsp

(Proud owner of a miniature pinscher , rescued)
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z84/mariesophia66/ATT00042-1.jpg

Where's the ball Shadie? - get the ball!

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd155/Dogwoods_place/TennisBall.jpg

12voltman59
Apr 16, 2010, 3:11 PM
Marie--thanks for the link to the Breed finder site----I will do it when I have the time. I bookmarked it so I can go back to it. Thanks again,

Ninnian
Apr 16, 2010, 5:29 PM
Any one who chats in a room with me for any amount of time will hear me mention my Cammie... shes a rescued RoughCollie/yellow lab/? who is teh sweetest ,cutest, smartest ,Stubburnest! thing I ever had.. one thing I HAVE decided?.. that Collies are teh way to go for me. Sweet, smart and best of all!!.. they dont smell.. not even when wet. Now if I coudl only *Train* her liek she desreves! (Oh wait.. she's training ME.. DOH!!!:eek: )

Volty- As you decide on a dog or a mix of breeds.. I can strongly suggest you pick up a copy of teh book ' The DOgs Mind"- its very technical.. but excellent.. ands wihtin it I found teh MOST useful tool.. excerpts of research that lists a dogs breed and its reactivity/sensitivity/Intelligence/trainability.. etc.... its invaluable when decided what you Need in a compatible lil buddy.

:bigrin: Nin

FalconAngel
Apr 17, 2010, 1:13 AM
Any one who chats in a room with me for any amount of time will hear me mention my Cammie... shes a rescued RoughCollie/yellow lab/? who is teh sweetest ,cutest, smartest ,Stubburnest! thing I ever had.. one thing I HAVE decided?.. that Collies are teh way to go for me. Sweet, smart and best of all!!.. they dont smell.. not even when wet. Now if I coudl only *Train* her liek she desreves! (Oh wait.. she's training ME.. DOH!!!:eek: )

Volty- As you decide on a dog or a mix of breeds.. I can strongly suggest you pick up a copy of teh book ' The DOgs Mind"- its very technical.. but excellent.. ands wihtin it I found teh MOST useful tool.. excerpts of research that lists a dogs breed and its reactivity/sensitivity/Intelligence/trainability.. etc.... its invaluable when decided what you Need in a compatible lil buddy.

And don't forget that a dog from the shelter is one of the best things that you can do for a dog. It can mean anything from being a mom or dad to a puppy that will love you for it's whole life to giving an older dog a home where it does not have to live in fear and confusion for the remainder of it's life.

It really is a very warm and fuzzy feeling to know that there is a loving, fuzzy member of the family that will love you unconditionally, will curl up at your feet or in your lap when you are watching tv and is so happy to see you when you get home at the end of the day.

Hephaestion
Apr 17, 2010, 4:30 AM
Amen to that

And don't forget that a dog from the shelter is one of the best things that you can do for a dog. It can mean anything from being a mom or dad to a puppy that will love you for it's whole life to giving an older dog a home where it does not have to live in fear and confusion for the remainder of it's life.

It really is a very warm and fuzzy feeling to know that there is a loving, fuzzy member of the family that will love you unconditionally, will curl up at your feet or in your lap when you are watching tv and is so happy to see you when you get home at the end of the day.

12voltman59
Apr 17, 2010, 8:18 PM
Many friends, family, acquaintances, etc. of mine have gotten their pets from either shelters or rescue organizations for a variety of breeds and it seems to be the case with most of the people who say they swear the pets give 'em extra love---since they seem to know that they were saved!!

Not to say that their little furry friend might not get a bit spoiled and be a mix of devil and angel!! lol

Jackal
Apr 19, 2010, 2:58 AM

Collies are amazing. I've had 2 in the past and I'm living with my third. One thing about them though is that 'smart' is not always a good trait in a dog. Damn dogs don't miss anything and they're hard to plan ahead against. They do smell if you don't bathe them enough. Or if they get wet. Funny how people think Lassie is a bunch of crap, they've clearly never lived with a collie :tong:. They may not have that same 'stupid kid in a well' rescuing power that Lassie had, but they always know when some thing is wrong and they are just as sweet.

Or maybe they do save kids from wells? I was never stupid enough to get in that much trouble.

Does yours bark at everything and nothing? All of my collies have been bark machines.