PDA

View Full Version : christian singer comes out about sexuality

Long Duck Dong
Apr 13, 2010, 8:16 PM
Jennifer Knapp is a dammed good singer..... beautiful voice and style.... and now part of the lgbt community....

singer comes out (http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/music/3580489/Christian-music-singer-comes-out)

I wish her all the success and best wishes for her relationship with her partner.... and I will be watching with interest to see how fast the christian music industry distance themselves from her

12voltman59
Apr 13, 2010, 10:18 PM
Good for her--it seems that in her reboot of her career---she is going more for the secular market than the "chrisitian" one---I wish her all the best and hope that she does well. I never heard of her--but will take your word her music is good--she did get a GRAMMY nomination that has to count for something.

TwylaTwobits
Apr 14, 2010, 12:53 AM
Unfortunately, you can bet there will be a few people that will turn away from her. Does it change her talent? Hell, no. But all some people can see is who the singer is rather than the voice or the words. I'll be watching as well.

Long Duck Dong
Apr 14, 2010, 12:57 AM
lol its like Anika moa (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIp__JV6oTM) when she came out as a lesbian, a few people thought it would be the end of her career.... but with the support of her friends ( including me ) shes still going strong lol

the song in her name / link is called dreams in my heard.... one of her best songs.....

TwylaTwobits
Apr 14, 2010, 12:59 AM
Yeah and I absolutely fell in love with "Dreams in My Head", I played that so many times after you shared that with me. The lyrics fit anyone dreaming of their partner, sex doesn't matter, the emotions it brings up do.

TaylorMade
Apr 14, 2010, 1:19 AM
Jennifer Knapp is a dammed good singer..... beautiful voice and style.... and now part of the lgbt community....

singer comes out (http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/music/3580489/Christian-music-singer-comes-out)

I wish her all the success and best wishes for her relationship with her partner.... and I will be watching with interest to see how fast the christian music industry distance themselves from her

Based on the article, she is distancing herself from THEM ....

Knapp is taking a preemptive stand anyway. She has recorded a mainstream album, and is not specifically targeting Christian radio stations and retailers.

"I just wouldn't find it respectful at all to say, 'Hey, this is something that you want in your store next to your Jesus statue,'" she said.

"It would just be disingenuous to try and convince someone that they needed to do that."

And how she is doing it is smart. She knows who her audience is and is staying true to herself while showing respect for what some may believe. Whoever wants to come along with her can go. Whoever can stay behind, can stay.

Knapp's new sexual identity is clearly a major talking point, but she does not view herself as a crusader in the gay community. She jealously guards her privacy and that of her girlfriend, who "doesn't want to be famous in any way whatsoever at all."

While fans will inevitably scour the songs for clues about her new love life, Knapp says she never writes songs about specific people. But she pulls no punches in the first line of the track "Inside," singing: "I know they'll bury me before they hear the whole story."

"I hope that the defiance does come across as humble," she explained. "If there's any frustration, it's trying to politely break the yoke of being asked to be something that I just can't be, and with all humility go: 'Just please be kind when you discover the truth.' It's kinda all you can do."

BTDT. . .still kinda there, though.

She wasn't in my 'in the closet' pool....I ALWAYS was suspect of Kevin Smith (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Max), though... I'm waiting on his pretty behind.

*Taylor*

darkeyes
Apr 14, 2010, 5:33 AM
...and the very best of British.. leaving behind that and those which is bad is always a good thing, and may she have the world while still believing that which is important to her. Those who may discard and condemn her in fact condemn themselves for the small and narrow minded bigots they are... she is their loss not they her's...:)

rissababynta
Apr 14, 2010, 10:59 AM
Unfortunately, you can bet there will be a few people that will turn away from her. Does it change her talent? Hell, no. But all some people can see is who the singer is rather than the voice or the words. I'll be watching as well.

Yes. What I have always said in cases like this is that the individual has always been the same person...the only difference is that they are now letting you know more about them while being the same person. The individual doesn't change at all...the person receiving the news poory does :P

Darkside2009
Apr 14, 2010, 9:07 PM
Unfortunately, you can bet there will be a few people that will turn away from her. Does it change her talent? Hell, no. But all some people can see is who the singer is rather than the voice or the words

I've never heard of the woman but I'm a little bemused. Have either of you two ladies ever heard of a British singer called Gary Glitter, real name Paul Gadd?

He was very popular in Britain back in the 70's and 80's until they discovered he was a paedophile then his career, such as it was disappeared down the crapper. Same voice, same 'talent' but the public no longer wanted to know.

I seem to remember the career of an American silent-screen actor called Fatty Arbuckle taking a similar nose-dive after a sex scandal involving a young girl who I believe died.

Sex scandals in the Entertainment Industry are nothing new, remember Rock Hudson and the lengths he went to, to protect his masculine reputation to the cinema going public.

At the end of the day you pay your money and you take your choice. Christians are no different in that respect.

I personally, wouldn't pay any money to see an actor or musician I knew to be a drug addict for the simple reason that I wouldn't want my money helping to fund that lifestyle, no matter how talented they were.

I realise that others think differently, and what they spend their money on is their choice.

TwylaTwobits
Apr 14, 2010, 11:47 PM
The problem with Fatty Arbuckle was that he was accused (later acquitted) of rape and manslaughter...that's a bit more than a sex scandal.

Yes, I remember well when the story about Rock Hudson came out and how he had AIDS. I remember that most of American's prime concern was what about Doris Day is she safe? I remember thinking "do the idiots really think they slept together cause they played romantic opposites?" Of course at the time, there was a lot of misconceptions about the transfer of AIDS, hopefully today if something came out about a movie star we would be more concerned about their family and their health than about their leading costar.

No, I haven't heard of Gary Glitter, but I'm gonna look him up after typing this.

And I agree about drugs but at the same point I also respect the music of a lot of people whose lifestyles I may not agree with. For me it's the passion in the melody, the emotions generated by lyrics. It's music, pure and simple, whether it was created while someone was stoned out on marijuana or created by a lesbian after one hell of a night with her partner. If it makes me feel, I'll listen, repeatedly.