PDA

View Full Version : Textiquette

dafydd
Apr 9, 2010, 5:16 PM
I can't believe at 31 I'm still asking these questions but.....

1) You go on a date. It goes well. You text later that night. You ask them if they want to go to the cinema later in the week. They say sure. You ask them to let you know when they're available.

Q: How many days of silence do you leave before you ask again? I mean this was Sunday and still haven't heard anything...

or maybe ...she's just not that into me..

on the other hand I have been in situations where they have been over texting me and it's turned me right off. however it's no easier with men, maybe thought it would be different with women.

d:bigrin:

dafydd
Apr 9, 2010, 5:41 PM
She's not interested in you since she's ignoring your texts, not writing back, and it's been about a week.

You should have just called or asked in person instead of texting.

Calling her on the phone or talking to her directly are direct means of communication and you will get a direct answer even if it's not the one you want to hear.

Not necessarily, some people find it easier to be honest on text because it is easier to get away with brutal honesty i.e. asking someone on the phone if they're interested in you puts them on the spot and they stall. Asking them via text gives them an opportunity to be honest with no real consequence.

but i agree with u. i don't think she's interested in me. I'm going to text her now, see what happens.

d

gfofbiguy
Apr 9, 2010, 5:48 PM
I can't believe at 31 I'm still asking these questions but.....

1) You go on a date. It goes well. You text later that night. You ask them if they want to go to the cinema later in the week. They say sure. You ask them to let you know when they're available.

Q: How many days of silence do you leave before you ask again? I mean this was Sunday and still haven't heard anything...

or maybe ...she's just not that into me..

on the other hand I have been in situations where they have been over texting me and it's turned me right off. however it's no easier with men, maybe thought it would be different with women.

d:bigrin:

She may not have known at the time you texted her on Sunday when she was going to be available during the week to go see a movie, and then just plain forgot to text you back. Good luck to you!! :)

mrplayfuluk
Apr 9, 2010, 6:41 PM
As a Londoner like you and also into the dating thing, I agree that its hard to always know the best thing to do. But to be honest you probably showed yourself as too eager by inviting her out again the same night. I have found that the best thing thing after a good date if you sense its good to text, just say that 'it was fun and you will be in contact'. That way it puts you in control and adds a little uncertainty; stops you looking too eager. Then you can call if you want but a chat is better than text after the first meet. However if she is texting you you should also hold back. It adds to the thrill of the chase. No one likes game playing but a little uncertainty is part of flirting.....

innaminka
Apr 9, 2010, 7:03 PM
Text?????

If someone sent me at text asking for a follow up date, I'd do exactly what the lady in question has done ----- nothing!!!

It doesn't matter how shy or verbally challenged you are when asking for a date (we all are) speak to her personally!

Texting???? sheesh!

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Apr 9, 2010, 7:06 PM
lol Give her a call, Hon. Its alot more personal than texting her a message. Believe me, it goes along way when you do. :}
Good luck and have fun. :}
Cat

bemyonlyone
Apr 9, 2010, 7:33 PM
I wouldn't mind being texted, but that's just me.

MarieDelta
Apr 9, 2010, 7:45 PM
I dont mind texting...

That being said, over texting can be like sending an angry robot to them to deliver your message.

I'd much more prefer a phone call.

12voltman59
Apr 9, 2010, 9:24 PM
My vote would be to try to actually contact her via a phone call--now if she dodges ya and doesn't respond that way--then you can be pretty well sure she is not interested in ya---but then you did try----I know I am of a different time now---so I sure as heck would not text someone I hardly know regarding dating them--I hold texting for people I know--if I had a significant other---texting would be fine for like: "hey honey--stoppin by Krogers--need anything?'

"yeah sweetie--need some toliet paper and some eggs!"

"K-- will get 'em"

"K-see ya when ya get home"

"can't wait to get home to se ya--horny as hell, baby lol!"

"horny too babe--hurry up at the store!"

"Yeoww--you bet I'll hurry! LOL!"

texting's good for stuff like that---but to try to set up things up by texting with someone ya barely know----I just cannot see it--but then again--I am way old school now I know!!

I'd suggest that ya give the lady a call, my friend!

TwylaTwobits
Apr 9, 2010, 9:31 PM
While I agree in theory, Voltie....he did say it was after a date and she did respond by text with an affirmative then he said let me know when you are available.

Hate to be the one to point this out, but do you realize how many text messages don't go through? Chances are she might not even have seen that text. That's the problem with texting. I suggest you ring her up, be casual not accusatory, and see if she says anything. Actually the way things are today I'm surprised she hasn't called you yet wanting to know why there was no response.

mikey3000
Apr 9, 2010, 9:39 PM
I think texting is ok. It's the new way now.

cliffordmontero
Apr 9, 2010, 10:33 PM
personally, i probably would have sent another text on wednesday saying something along the lines of "hey you never told me when you'll be free" and if they dont respond a call on friday and if they dont answer leave a message and delete their number . . . if they call back then great, if not move on

dafydd
Apr 10, 2010, 11:21 AM
Hi, personally I hate speaking on the phone, I find it quite intrusive, and awkward, so I'm more of a texter, and I think in my circles, phoning someone is seen as a bit hardcore in this context. sad but true. I'm happy with technologically distant means of communication.

Anyway she did text me back and we're meeting tomorrow so that's great. I'm just a bloody romantic open wound and she's liable to bring the salt.

d

still_shy
Apr 10, 2010, 12:26 PM
I don't like to talk on the phone either...I prefer to text. Especially when it's someone I don't know all that well. Even my mom texts me instead of calling :) I don't see anything wrong with texting her again to see what happened. I'm glad it worked out for you and you're seeing each other again!!

TwylaTwobits
Apr 10, 2010, 4:58 PM
Hi, personally I hate speaking on the phone, I find it quite intrusive, and awkward, so I'm more of a texter, and I think in my circles, phoning someone is seen as a bit hardcore in this context. sad but true. I'm happy with technologically distant means of communication.

Anyway she did text me back and we're meeting tomorrow so that's great. I'm just a bloody romantic open wound and she's liable to bring the salt.

d

*Smacks Dafydd* quit being a pessimist, this might be the start of something new..... Smiles (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHfvkO9NUkE)

dafydd
Apr 12, 2010, 6:57 PM
*Smacks Dafydd* quit being a pessimist, this might be the start of something new..... Smiles (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHfvkO9NUkE)

how right you were Twyla...how right you were.
We had a good old pash on Sunday, but she's fallen silent again. She says she keeps her cards close to her chest. Not sure what that means in this context.

d:male:

gfofbiguy
Apr 12, 2010, 7:03 PM
how right you were Twyla...how right you were.
We had a good old pash on Sunday, but she's fallen silent again. She says she keeps her cards close to her chest. Not sure what that means in this context.

d:male:

LOL, I do the same thing - my now-boyfriend had said, when we were first getting to know one another (via text, IM and phone convos as well as in person), that I was (and am) a hard person to get to know because I play my cards close to my chest. For me, it's because of being hurt in the past. For her, I don't know why she does it - just wanted to give you my perspective. Still wishing you good luck and all. (P.S. My b/f and I have been together for 4 years now ....)