PDA

View Full Version : Moving across the country

still_shy
Mar 21, 2010, 10:23 PM
My husband and I are considering moving from Indiana to Texas this summer. We've spent months researching cities, cost of living, rental home prices, poverty and crime levels, schools, the cost of such a long distance move....My question is this...what have I forgotten? I can't help but feel this nagging in the back of my brain that I've left something important out. I've tried to cover all of the bases but it's tough since I've never moved farther than 40 miles in my entire life. Any advice for us?

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Mar 21, 2010, 10:30 PM
Depends on Where in Texas you move to, too. Are there jobs for you or your husband's particular skill, have you considered the heat and humidity factors?
As long as you have your family with you, you have Home, Babygirl. Thats the most important thing. ;)
Good luck. :}
Cat

Chris98-12
Mar 21, 2010, 10:37 PM
The thing you may have forgotten? I would say just be ready to roll with the changes and ready to handle surprises. A move like that is significant. I would also say give it time after you get here (I am in Texas myself, but was born in Indiana, grew up in California, and have also lived in Missouri and in New Orleans). It can take quite awhile to get used to a place.

I myself have always been able to find one or more things I like about a place, something that makes it unique. Just allow yourself to slip into it as it comes. Also be ready to have days where you think you made a mistake moving. But like I said, hang in there...if its really meant to be you will settle in.

mariersa
Mar 21, 2010, 10:39 PM
Yikes, just a thought, if you have to rent, why move???:eek:

TwylaTwobits
Mar 21, 2010, 10:49 PM
Having moved a lot of miles between cities as I worked for Ryan's steakhouse. I can assure that it doesn't matter how thorough you are, you will think of something when you get there.

Schools, Crime Rates, Local Laws, Public Utilities, Library Access, Movie Theatres close by, Public Transportation.. all of that is for when you get there. Getting...well gas, and have an emergency fund for those unexpected things like a broken water hose or a flat tire.

Good luck hon and may you find the place that fits you and your family perfectly.

still_shy
Mar 22, 2010, 12:12 AM
Yikes, just a thought, if you have to rent, why move???:eek:

Renting isn't all that bad...we plan to find something with a short term lease while we look for something more permanent. My uncle and his family actually have an apartment over their garage that we could live in near Houston, but it all depends on where hubby finds a job. Eventually we'll find a house but we want to make sure that the town is a good fit before we commit completely.

still_shy
Mar 22, 2010, 12:19 AM
Depends on Where in Texas you move to, too. Are there jobs for you or your husband's particular skill, have you considered the heat and humidity factors?
As long as you have your family with you, you have Home, Babygirl. Thats the most important thing. ;)
Good luck. :}
Cat

The heat and humidity are actually a huge selling point for us :) We are so tired of the Indiana winters that we specifically picked a state with higher temperatures. The jobs seem plentiful there. My husband did a search for mechanic jobs in Houston and came up with 537 available jobs. I know that all of these won't be good but it's just nice to know there are a lot of options. He's going to set up a week of interviews (hopefully) about a month before we plan to move so hopefully he'll already have a job lined up well before we go. His profession is pretty marketable, there seems to be mechanic jobs available everywhere.

It's scary as hell to think about this move...man it's a huge step for our family but I'd like to think we will be better off getting out of this poverty stricken hell hole!!

mariersa
Mar 22, 2010, 12:48 AM
I apologise, didn't mean to offend!!

Renting isn't all that bad...we plan to find something with a short term lease while we look for something more permanent. My uncle and his family actually have an apartment over their garage that we could live in near Houston, but it all depends on where hubby finds a job. Eventually we'll find a house but we want to make sure that the town is a good fit before we commit completely.

However, I've been to Houston 3 times and frankly, with the filthy air, congestion, attitudes, I don't want to go back. I understand the need for gainfull employment, however, well, i's just me, I couldn't live there very long. Stepping Stone for hubby's work to move away maybe agood thing.

BEST WISHES ALL WILL BE WELL

Long Duck Dong
Mar 22, 2010, 1:24 AM
child care... planning for the present is good, but what about the future... and healthcare..... etc....

its the long term issues that need addressing as well.... but I know that moving is hell.... I hate it.....

goldenfinger
Mar 22, 2010, 2:34 AM
Make sure that you leave your "toys" at the border.:bigrin:

TwylaTwobits
Mar 22, 2010, 2:54 AM
ROFL Goldenfinger, I took my toys to NZ, got there fine, one major one didn't make it home with me. Sigh I miss that feeldoe...

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Mar 22, 2010, 1:56 PM
So let hubby go there first and stay with the relitives, find a job and get established, then send for you and the kidlettes. :} That way he has things already ready and waiting for ya'll when ya get there..:}
Just what I'd do...my humble :2cents:
Cat

Donkey_burger
Mar 22, 2010, 8:37 PM
I remember there was, at least at one point, a test you could take online that was supposed to tell you the city that suit you best.

DB :flag4:

Doggie_Wood
Mar 22, 2010, 8:55 PM
Have hubby check the job listings for Fort Worth metro area.

Ft Worth, Benbrook, White Settlement, Westover, Lake Worth, Azle, Samsom Park, Saginaw (TX), Watauga, Haltom City, Richland Hills, North Richland Hills, Hurst, Euless, Bedford, Arlington, Kennedale, Mansfield, Everman, Forest Hills, Burleson, Cleburn, Aledo, Alvarado, Crowley. . . . . . .

Have lived in Houston and Dallas - will never live there again (either place)

just my two:2cents:

Doggie :doggie:

still_shy
Mar 22, 2010, 9:36 PM
Do you know anything about Kingwood and Seabrook? Those are two cities that we are considering.

mariersa
Mar 22, 2010, 10:48 PM
Wonderfull, the suggestions and *cautious* thinking is at work! All Great things to consider, the responders have made my point!!! :tongue: I think the messsage was, don't move totally blind, know what, where, why, with whom, you're moving. Things change quickly in Metropolis. just my .03 pence worth

darkeyes
Mar 23, 2010, 8:13 AM
Movin sumwer that is tolerant an a nice compassionate community wivout rantin an ravin religion always inya face wud b nice Shy hun.. is an idea 2 find sumwer like that.. most otha things r covad.. jus sumwer wer peeps can let ya b yasel..:)

Doggie_Wood
Mar 23, 2010, 9:16 AM
Do you know anything about Kingwood and Seabrook? Those are two cities that we are considering.

I know nothing of the two - you could ask pasadenacpl. They live in that area.

Doggie :doggie:

texasman6172003
Mar 23, 2010, 6:00 PM
Hi Hon,Well i can tell you one thing don't move too the Sherman or Denison area,if your looking for bi friendly people,there aren't too many of us around!! LMAO!! All kidding a side hon,come on down!!! Plenty of room in Texas.. And what the hell,itd be one more Bisexual Person in Texas!!:tong::bigrin:

Rudy75
Mar 23, 2010, 8:21 PM
Make sure he gets a job first!!!

Alot of communities (especially when jobs are scarce) only hire locals, so maybe he should get and address first, and then look for work.

Oh, and be sure you have a war chest for this project!

Good Luck!

citystyleguy
Mar 23, 2010, 11:57 PM
when considering any move, you will never think of everything, but one bit of advice given several times by others here; make sure you have a job in the bag, NEVER move without that security.

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Mar 24, 2010, 1:20 PM
lol Maybe Mr and Mrs Pasa and Shy could arrange a BiSex rendezvous in Texas someday, Ya'll. Centrally located in the middle of the country, warm weather, and fantastic Mexican food and BBQ!!!!!!! lol
Bad Cat

still_shy
Mar 24, 2010, 3:42 PM
Cat! What a great idea! I like the way you think ;)

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Mar 25, 2010, 12:27 AM
lol Thank you Miss. Theres always a method to my particular madness...lol :bigrin:;)
Yer Cat

daewoo69
Mar 25, 2010, 3:09 AM
:2cents:
Yes my two cents, Move to Australia. LOL

Hope it works well for you guys. Have moved 3 times in the last 3 years & I am over it. (things you do for work) LOL

:cool:

curious77459
Mar 29, 2010, 8:49 AM
Some good advice given here. I'm a native Houstonian and have lived here most of my 60 years. I can't wait to get out of the heat, humidity, air pollution, traffic, hurricanes, and mosquitoes. We are moving to the mountains of NM and live like hermits when I retire. :bigrin:

You asked about two locations, one along the coast, and the other north of Houston. Either could be a good choice, however, you should find the job first and then pick the house location. A 20 mile commute can take over an hour. Seabrook is only 10 ft above sea level. Ike had a storm surge of 12 ft.

Consider Dallas. My daughter moved there and loves it. It has all of the big city advantages and fewer of the downsides I mentioned above. I doubt that the job market is as good, but it wouldn't hurt to look. Good luck.

BareHunter45
Mar 29, 2010, 9:14 AM
still-shy,

The only aspect I can think of that you might have missed is: Do you WANT to live there (where ever there is)? Probably the last question on the checklist but can be one after all the objective analysis is done...