PDA

View Full Version : Where I come from........

TwylaTwobits
Mar 21, 2010, 8:17 AM
I thought it would be fun to list a few things about your home. What it's famous for, what kind of attractions are around.

I'll start. I live in Kentucky, home of bourbon, tobacco and horse racing. I live outside the largest city in the state, thanks to the vote that merged the city into the county, and my town is a small town. Very rural and yes I have cows outside my window even though I don't own them.

Up north we have Six Flags over Kentucky Kingdom, to the slight north east we have Ft. Knox Gold Vault and the Patton Museum.

Downtown we have a cannonball that is lodged in the old courthouse from the days of the Civil War when the Union and Confederate troops fought for this land. We have a house where George Armstrong Custer lived and over to the eastern part you would enter another county and be near Abraham Lincoln's birthplace.

Realist
Mar 21, 2010, 12:10 PM
Ah, Kentucky! I lived there over 30 years and it belied most stereotypes I'd ever heard about it! It's country, it's sophisticated, big city, small burgs, laid-back, and there's plenty of hustle-bustle as well. The people are mostly gentle, heard working, and love having fun. Like anywhere else, with a population of over 3, at least one of 'em's gonna be an asshole..... but who lives in any location without them? It makes you appreciate the rest of the folks, more. They also make some of the best whiskey in the world.

I was born and raised in Florida. After retiring, I moved back and will probably die here. If the truth were known, I'd rather be back in Kentucky.

I grew up in the middle of no-where, in the center of the state, Where it is now populated by hundreds of thousands of folks, who swamp the place in the winter, then haul ass before the oppressive heat, bugs, skeeters and other nameless varmints, arrive.

There are many things to see and do, that many seem to be impressed by...like Disney, Marine aquariums, theme parks, etc, etc. There's trained sea creatures, Ferris wheels, roller coasters and bungee jumping. The night life in Tampa, Miami, Orlando, and other places is vibrant and eclectic. There's a little something for everyone.

You can take rides on air boats into the heart of the Everglades, watch alligator wrestlers, go fishing in fresh, or salt water, and visit natural habitats. There's some excellent aircraft museums and even a place where you can get fighter pilot training and conduct dogfights in actual airplanes. (Sorry, they won't give you any ammo!)

During the Fall, Winter, and Spring, there's car shows of all kinds all over the state. (They have them in the summer, too, but it's too hot to enjoy them) Craft fairs, art shows, and various other events abound. From about May to October, as far as I'm concerned, it's too damned hot to do anything, except to swat skeeters, swim, and hang close to the air conditioner. If you're gonna have sex, better cool of the house, first!

That's my take on it and I'm a born "Florida Cracker"*

*Cracker, came from the cattlemen in the old days, who used their whips, cracking them to herd the cattle. Florida is the biggest cattle producer east of the Mississippi.

12voltman59
Mar 21, 2010, 1:39 PM
My original and current hometown is Dayton, Ohio-----we may not be in the best shape in terms of economics now---but this area has a great history in terms of the people who lived here and the products we once produced or created.

Dayton was home to Orville and Wilbur Wright--their contribution to the world was powered flight and the technical aspects they came up with that still serves as the basic way aircraft are controlled.

Dayton was once home to the National Cash Register Company---the company still had its corporate home here till recently---it moved to the Atlanta area----but the intensive manufacturing that was once part of making cash registers long ago left here and NCR in its more recent iterations was more of a high tech company since "cash registers" have morphed into computers and NCR was also a big maker of supermarket scanners and automatic teller machines.

Dayton was where the electric starting system for cars was developed that eliminated the need for almost getting killed when ya cranked your car to start it.

Dayton was home to the inventor of the "pop top" for soda pop and beer cans.

Dayton--with Wright-Patterson Air Force Base is responsible for either designing or at least overseeing the developement of just about every form of modern military aircraft used by the Air Force begining with planes back in WWII with that list of planes that include the U2, the SR 71 Blackbird, the various stealth bombers and fighters, most of the US versions of cruise missiles and now Unmanned Aerial Vehicles like the Predator or Global Hawk.
The divison we have that is responsible for these programs is the Air Force Material Command and thankfully--instead of that being downsized---we are getting more programs moving here thanks to the BRAC programs of recent years that are going to bring many high paying jobs both for the Air Force and the civilian contractors that actually make those products.

We were once home to many divisions of General Motors that included Frigidare Appliances, Delco Brakes, Delco Air Conditioners and other divisions that produced various other subsystems and assemblies necessary for auto and truck production.
Until Christmas 2008---we had a GM plant that made the GMC Envoy, the Chevy TrailBlazer, the SAAB 9.7, the Isusu Ascender, the Olds Bravada, and the Buick Rainer.

All of those GM divisions and plants are now closed---the only GM product we now have in our area is the DuraMax diesel engine plant that builds a diesel engine that currently goes into Chevy/GM trucks and vans----but they are investing a major sum in expanding the DuraMax plant to make a new generation of clean burn diesels, with one version of those engines going to be placed in some models of GM cars.

Dayton was home of humorist Erma Bombeck, talk show host and journalist Phil Donahue got his start on local TV, comedian Jonathan Winters was from here as were actors Martin Sheen, Allison Janey, Rob and Chad Lowe, Dorian Harwood, Gordon Jump, Gary Sandy, Nancy Cartwright-- the voice of Bart Simpson, comedian Dave Chappelle.

Musicians include country star Kim Richey, Rick Derringer, Mark Miller--lead singer for the country band Sawyer Brown. Dayton was home for a time for the great R&B band The Ohio Players.

Dayton was the birthplace of Billy Strayhorn--who was a talented musical arranger and composer who gained his fame working for Duke Ellington. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Strayhorn

Paul Lawerence Dunbar---the famous black poet, scholar and author was from Dayton.

Sports figures from Dayton include Olympian Edwin C. Moses, baseball pitcher Roger Clemens, former college and NFL football stars Kirk Herbstriet and Cris Collinsworth--both are now football commentators. We have a long list of current and former sports figures in the NFL, MLB and the NBA.

darkeyes
Mar 21, 2010, 5:53 PM
My home town.. I've spoken of it often enough.. an wen me saw twyla's thread... me thot.. rite.. now here goes... an yet me finds it not so easy.. an wy? not cos me cudn but cos its soooooooo hard 2 kno wer 2 start..

Capital a Scotland..City of less than haff a million peeps.. has largest Arts Festival on earth.. gr8 pubs..gr8 clubs..me luffly Jambos (or Jam tarts ifya prefer) an the otha lot (the Hibees).. lotsa famous peeps, Conan Doyle, Robert Louis stevenson, Sean Connery an God knos how many othas.Home a the Royal Mile wiv the castle at top and Holyrood Palace at bottom.. has an extinct volcano in middle a the city wiv a beautiful park encirclin it... an lotsa otha beautiful parks.. Princes Street wiv the castle on 1 side and shops (mmmmm shops.. ) on otha wiv the wondaful gardens in middle.. Seat of kings an a particlarly tragic an sumwot daft queen, home a the Scottish Parliament once wen Scotland wos independent, an 1ce gain wivvin the UK.. tourist trap.. The honours of Scotland, the Scottish Crown jewels.. the Stone of Scone...,gorge wiv scruffy bits..an a few reelly ugly bits.. gaggle a universities.. home of the Scottish Enlightenment, bodysnatchers an a famous wee dog called Bobby, an a wondaful ole church called Greyfriars wer a seer 1ce named those who wud die at Scotlands mos tragic battle as an independent nation fore it eva happened.. me shall say no more cept that its birthplace 2 Fran, adopted 'ome of delish Aberdonian tart called Kate an birthplace of 'er 2 gorge lil girls.. the Pink Triangle, so in the main, gay and bisexual friendly but not completely so..but where is?

I could say lots but nothing could ever do me home town justice.. it is just the most exquisite place on earth.. rivalled in Fran's affections only by Paris when I think of cities.. I love it, and will live in it till my breath is spent.. it has soooo much to offer.. it is a city though of contradictions.. immense wealth and terrific poverty..great friendship and cold suspicion, a city of hypocrisy and dishonesty, and yet wonderful honesty and generosity, all of these things to friend and stranger.. a city of schizophrenc frenzy.. a city of danger.. I am not blind to its faults an yet whenever I am away from the place for more than a few weeks,homesickness raises its ugly head,and I return home eager, impatiently so, to see her, smell her and embrace her and adore her warts and all with the passion of a deprived and frustrated lover..

Mushy? Too bloody right it is.. there is nowhere for me like the city which spawned me.. and if I am wrong and there is a God.. I will gladly drop to my knees and thank her for allowing the the enormous privilege of living my life through in Auld Reekie, my Edinburgh.. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edinburgh

cliffordmontero
Mar 21, 2010, 6:01 PM
If you go by where I grew up preteens (Lakehurst NJ) then where I come from . . .

We didnt have rednecks we had "pine"ies

The town was most known for two things, the Hindenburg tradgedy, and the Blue Comet train.

We swam all summer in one of two place . . . Lake Horicon, a beautiful cedar water lake that feeds into Toms River or one of the local cranberry bogs that we tresspassed into lol

We got in trouble by the school for not crossing Rt 70 where the crossing guard is . . . if we got caught

Now if you go by where I went to High School (Bainbridge NY) then where I come from . . .

Every year Memorial Day weekend is consumed by the first leg of the General Clinton Canoe Regatta.

You dread the annual dog show because traffic sucks for 4 days.

You wonder what the hell the town was thinking when they forced the company that installed the cell tower to camouflage it because now it looks like a 200 yard tall toilet brush overlooking the village.

The town is best known for two things . . . Elmers Glue and a train wreck that nearly wiped out half of downtown way back in the day.

And if you go by where I live now (Binghamton NY) then where I come from . . .

We are some kind of carousel capital of the world.

We are world famous for a dish called speedies, and have an annual hot air balloon rally in their name.

We host the Dicks Sporting Goods Open.

We are the birthplace of IBM (well Endicott is, but its a $1.50 bus ride away), and and old shoe company thats name eludes me at the moment.

Long Duck Dong
Mar 21, 2010, 6:24 PM
originally from renfrew, scotland, ( anderson clan from the macandrews )

I currently live in marlborough in the south island of new zealand... thats NZ not australia.... we do not bowl under arm during cricket matchs like the aussies do :tong:

marlborough is known as a vineyard and wine area, we produce a large part of nz wines and nz whines.....

we average about 18,000 people but with seasonal workers from samoa and tonga etc, we have a population of 45-50,000

the part i live in is surrounded by hills so we have a micro climate here, warmer temperatures and less strong winds...

we are more of a old style community, and the area is known as a retirement town ( or as the teens say, the dead center of NZ, as nothing happens here )
we have combined gender schools up to hs then its seperate gender hs ....

we have the usual pains in the ass, known as boy racers, ( 16-25 year olds with fast and loud cars ) that think that the speed limit of 50k a hour only applies to people that are not brainless.... the highest drink driving rate in the whole of NZ ( not bad for a country of 4.2 mill ) and a average of 50 arrests every weekend for drunk and disorderly.....
but thats not a surprise for a place thats town is two short streets that house 9 pubs

that aside, our local airport is a military defence base and allows for private and commercial airplanes to land.... we also house the golf balls ( waihopai spy base ) two large scale satellites that are part of the us defence system
and one of the large armed forces personnel to civilian populations in nz, tho most of us are retired or on inactive duties....

there is a old saying in nz that if you start at the top of nz and work your way down, by the time you hit the top of the south island, you would have encountered more assholes than any other place in the world, but in the south island you will meet the friendliest people in NZ

yes, nz is known as sheep shagger country and there are jokes about how there are 20 sheep to every single guy in nz and that no farmer lacks for a date.... but thats not entirely true... some of them sheep are ugly and no body likes ugly dates with grass breath......

citystyleguy
Mar 21, 2010, 7:36 PM
...a native son of the serene republic of the two islands of california, as well as of the world city of los angeles; the republic is a diverse in geography, topogrophy, ecology, and people. we have hot deserts and cold deserts, the grand sierra nevada mountains to the costal mountains, valleys, canyons, plains, rivers, and the greatest body of water on the planet, the great pacific ocean. from small towns, hamlets, and crossroads, to large towns, and two of the greatest cities in the world, los angeles, and san francisco. ....and this is just the beginning!

we have the rain forests of the northwest to the cold inland deserts of the northeast; down the center are the great farmlands, and on the east snow capped mountains, while cities and towns hug the costal plains, valleys, and canyons. we sit on the ring of fire that encircles the pacific ocean, that gives us volcanos, and most famous of all, earthquakes. the indians lived here for tens of thousands of years, until the coming of the conquistodors, and the roman catholic church; they held sway for over three hundred years, setting in place a rich culture, to be taken up by the republic of mexico for many decades until the coming of the yankees; we have lived for a hundred years under the flag of the united states.

my city has been here since the beginning, a diverse place like no other in the world. all the languages of the planet and most of the dialects are spoken here in the average day, we have a plentitude of neighborhoods relecting theses many peoples, cultures, ethnicity, nationalities, and races. if you cannot find something here it probable doesnt exisit, but wait a moment someone will create it and it will go forth across the globe.

my great city is the media capitol of the world, selling everyone and everything to the peoples of the world; some of the greatest assholes in the world live and/or do business here, while the greatest people live and work with them side by side

my own place in the great metropolis is in the serene hills above the arroyo seco, surrounded by nature while looking out on the great sprawling city below; i have access to great music, libraries, art, food, theater, and other entertaintments of endless diversity. immense wealth coexists with grinding poverty, and in between coexists the bourgoise. i love to travel, and exerience all of the world when possible, but within three days i ache for my hometown, its people, its place, its uniquness.

there is far more to say, but that is enough for now,

of the city of the angels, of the serene republic, their most devout son!

darkeyes
Mar 21, 2010, 7:38 PM
MacAndrew huh? :eek:... jus guess who wos a MacAndrew for a few years in anotha life wen she wos yung, daft, tartie an still fancied lesser mortals.. 1 quite gorge lesser in partic whose surname wos MacAndrew, Duckie hmmmmm???:rolleyes:

(yea me knos..from MacAndrew.. burrit sounds gud..;):tong:)

still_shy
Mar 21, 2010, 10:11 PM
Where I come from....Hmmm....this should be interesting!

I come from a town that has two stoplights and a grocery store. Two gas stations, a pizza place and a Christian cafe. At least ten churches and a little bitty park.

Where I come from people say torlet (toilet) warsh (wash) inneresting (interesting) dudn't (doesn't) and scores of other mispronounced words!!

We are redneck as redneck gets...There's a shooting range set up in the backyard (we live out in the country) and a rooster that roams our land.

Where I come from, most peoples idea of a hot date is the chili supper down at the Baptist church. Recreation consists of watching high school sports and sitting on the front porch watching the cars go by so you can wave at everyone.

There's a huge problem with meth here...and most people smoke pot like tobacco. Drinking is another recreation that's highly encouraged (it helps pass the time when there's nothing to do). Most people start drinking after their morning coffee on the weekends. It's nothing to see a couple of abandoned cars in a front yard, just as it's not unusual to see a discarded toilet or bath tub laying around. There are a few houses with the house number spray painted on the porch and most of the buildings on main st. are boarded up, a couple even have caution tape up since they're falling down.

Where I come from, everyone knows your business and gets offended if you don't like it. There's no such thing as privacy here...it's nothing new to be put on several prayer lists at different churches if you are caught in a spat with your spouse or your child is struggling in Math class.

Where I come from, the closest city really isn't much of a city. It's a half hour away and has a movie theater and putt putt golf. There's a Walmart and a ton of fast food restaurants. There's nothing much else there.

Hate to sound so negative but this is where I come from. And why my husband and I are moving to Texas in July!!

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Mar 21, 2010, 11:06 PM
All of you have such interesting places to live when you were young...or now. I'm afraid my life was pretty boring compared to many of yours.....:(

I lived in a small Mississippi town that is barely recognised for anything except a Coca-Cola plant and a battle during the civil war. The town was a mere 50 miles from Elvis' birth place in Tupelo, Miss. We moved to where I considered home when I was 10 years old.
I grew up on a small reservation in Ark. where people of Native American descent were considered lesser folk than anyone else. The town was 15 miles down the mountain from us, so I never actually was From that place. On the mountain tho was lush rivers and streams, beautiful trees and an abundancy of wild life. We lived simply and poorly, but we had love and each other and that's all we needed. I grew up respecting Mother Nature and all that dwelled in her, and learned more than any book learned person ever could. I learned to live life simple and to live off of what nature provided, and learned to be grateful and humbled to have it. I have seen things that most people would take for granted, and loved every second of it. I learned where to find foods that no one would think of, unless they were raised the way we were, I learned to make do with just a little, and that a little was just enough when you had nothing.

I learned that education was paramount, for if you had knowledge, you had a power that no one could take away from you, for any knowledge is invaluable.
I learned that Prejudice wasnt just for those of black color, but was reserved for those not quite good enough for "White folks", even tho I looked more white than Cherokee. It was also a special hell if you were poor, if your Mother worked in a railway diner to make ends meet. If you wore clothes that were hand made or bought in a second hand store. But I learned other things as well. I learned to be tough, and learned to stand up for things that were important and right. I learned that once you stood up for yourself and didnt back down, that bullies never felt the need to pick on you, or cause harm to those they once thought lesser and less helpless. I grew up tough, and I grew up mean, but more importantly, I grew up Smart. I am the only one from my family to graduate from High School and college, and earn a degree in college.

We moved to Calif, and after a few years I had my daughter at 16, and married at 17. We lived on the Mojave desert in So. Calif for 30 years until I moved up here to the Pacific Northwest 8 years ago. :}
Here it is like my beloved mountains back home. It's lush and green and cool. Rivers, lakes, and streams are everywhere you look, and the Pacific ocean is never far away.The forests here teem with wildlife if you know where to look. Plants and trees abound. There's peace in said forests if you know how to traverse them, and show them respect. There's beauty all around, you just have to know where to look for it and how to understand it.. :}

So that's it in a nutshell, Ya'll. I'm afraid your Cat isnt very exciting...lol
Cat

Long Duck Dong
Mar 21, 2010, 11:12 PM
dammit cat, if I didn't hate flying so much, I would move there with you and drag twyla along too.... I am scottish at heart, but I love the native american indian people.... such a beautiful race of people.... even twyla is part blackfoot.... ... and the chance to live back in nature again, away from towns and shops and all the trappings..... sighs...

TwylaTwobits
Mar 21, 2010, 11:15 PM
LOL Babe, we'd have a lot of fun. I love being part of nature and part Indian, but it was my great grandmother who was full blooded Blackfoot. I don't know the story of how she married an Irish/Scotsman but I know when I saw a pic of her she looked exactly like my mother. Darker skin, dark hair, brown eyes. I don't even get to tan dangit, but I can throw a tomahawk :)

Doggiestyle
Mar 22, 2010, 12:26 AM
Well now, I don't know if I live in an exciting place, but Tennessee does have some interesting places. The town that I live in was, at one time, considered the "industrial center of the south" or "the dynamo of dixie", but those days are over now. There is now very little industry in Chattanooga anymore (compared to what there was). Now this town is trying to re-make it's self into a tourist trap, (now calling itself "river city" because the Tennessee River goes through it) and seems to be doing a good job at it. Anyway a little further away to the north is Lynchburg TN, where Jack Danels Burbon Whiskey is made. Now the real interesting thing is that you can take a "tour" of the distillery and will be given free samples of their whiskey (you must be at least 21 & have a ID) But the thing is that in the county that Jack Danels is in is what they call a "dry county". That means that it is illegal to sell or posess alcoholic beverages in that county. Now figgure that one out??? That's Tennessee for ya!!! A little further north and you'll wind up in Nashville, Music City, or "The Grand Ole Opera" Nowdays the country music auditorium is at Opera-Land (a place similar to a 6 flags). I myself was at the Rhyman Auditorium at a new years eve party they had there in 1971. At the time I was not quite 21 YO, but was told that if I flashed em my military ID, which I had, that would get me in and it worked. That place was kinda like a church and I had a good time that nite. All the big Country & Western singer were there and I don't know how I managed to ride a motorcycle back to the place where I was staying, but I did.
If you go east you will come to the Great Smokey Mountains. That's a nice place to tour if you like the mountains. The Blue Ridge Parkway starts there goes almost to Washington DC. Actually the whole eastern Tennessee area is all mountains and there is some nice touring to be done there. Close to that area is the Bristol Speedway. There they have several big and lots of smaller auto races there and also have a 1 quarter or 1 eighth mile drag strip called "Thunder Valley". NOTICE,,, If you ever attend an event at either race-track, be shure that you have Ear Plugs. Not far away in Greene County is the birthplace of Davey Crockett. He was born in a real small cabin that is halfway in the ground ( about 10ft by 10ft cabin).
If you travel west you can stop at Jackson TN, the home town of Casey Jones. They have a railroad museum and the story all about him, and his legend. If you go further west you come to the Mississippi River and Memphis TN. Well we all know who came from Memphis. Actually Elvis Pressley wasn't born in Memphis, he just moved there after he became famous. Anyway Graceland is still a very congested area on week-ends and special times.

Also almost forgot to say that Chattanooga TN is the birthplace of Coca Cola and Moon Pie.

Well I could go on for hours more, but I haven't got the time, and you don't have the time to read it. So I'll leave it at that......Your friend, :doggie:

Oh and BI the way Twyla. I took my basic training and my 2nd Advanced Individual Training at Fort Knox KY in 1971. I went past the "Depository" and looked at it as I went by. QUESTION??? Do you really think that there is any gold there? Just wondering? :tong:
ALSO
Still-Shy, judging from where you come from, I hope that when you get to that "big city in Texas" that the culture shock you'll encounter don't kill ya. :bigrin:

TwylaTwobits
Mar 22, 2010, 12:29 AM
ROFLMAO Doggie, actually I'm not sure. One of the patients at our chiropractic office was a police officer at the Vault. He was telling us every day that people are weighed when they go in and weighed when they go out. Apparently they store some of the plugs they use for coins there as well, it is an interesting theory that there is no gold at Ft. Knox, some say that most of the nation's gold was in the World Trade Center. Truth is I don't care where the gold is as long as it is, if there was no gold then the value of the US dollar would be zilch.

Oh and yeah I've passed through Chatty more times than I count on the way to Florida for family vacations. I hated Monteagle, always just KNEW one of those semi's next to us was gonna have brake issues. I love Nashville, I remember going to a trivia bash for AOL at the Embassy Suites downtown, one of our guests was quoted saying "It's so damned pink". I'm lucky that I live with a day's drive to a lot of great areas both north, east, west and south of me.

still_shy
Mar 22, 2010, 12:33 AM
Still-Shy, judging from where you come from, I hope that when you get to that "big city in Texas" that the culture shock you'll encounter don't kill ya. :bigrin:

LOL I fully expect to walk around in state of confusion and absolute culture shock for at least 6 months!!

TwylaTwobits
Mar 22, 2010, 4:34 AM
LOL I fully expect to walk around in state of confusion and absolute culture shock for at least 6 months!!

At least you'll have this site as you get adjusted. Whining helps at times and we'll be here for ya, hon.

Hephaestion
Mar 22, 2010, 6:07 AM
I come from a small blue-green planet called 'Earth'. It is 'mostly harmless'.

Born a Brit of Brit Parents on a smallish island. We moved to London by the time I was 3.

At one time I spoke with an American accent, pedged allegiance to the flag, could utter silly support chants with lots of siss-boom-bah's. Was tempted by SouthAfrica. Have spent nights under the Southern Cross but always back to London SE, the most rural part until now. Don't know if I met Ian Brady but he looked exactly like him until warned off by a shop keeper. Remember grey days, drizzle, war rationing, air raid sirens, bombed sites, steam trains, smogs, the BMW Isetta, Capital Punishment abolished, the promise of the new life.

Saw Britain rise and fall yet again. Quadrephenia. Our best friends keep visiting with hob nailed boots, their own stars and strips duvets, and no lubrication. The clean air act has been progressively undermined by diesels.

Lament that the British Isles could never function as a whole - this possibly to do with the gravitational pull of arseholes. Have met some realy interesting people and watched David Attenborough grow old. Hate hot red commuter sunsets. Love Septemeber skies, the sea, the stars.

darkeyes
Mar 22, 2010, 7:44 AM
I come from a small blue-green planet called 'Earth'. It is 'mostly harmless'.

Born a Brit of Brit Parents on a smallish island. We moved to London by the time I was 3.

At one time I spoke with an American accent, pedged allegiance to the flag, could utter silly support chants with lots of siss-boom-bah's. Was tempted by SouthAfrica. Have spent nights under the Southern Cross but always back to London SE, the most rural part until now. Don't know if I met Ian Brady but he looked exactly like him until warned off by a shop keeper. Remember grey days, drizzle, war rationing, air raid sirens, bombed sites, steam trains, smogs, the BMW Isetta, Capital Punishment abolished, the promise of the new life.

Saw Britain rise and fall yet again. Quadrephenia. Our best friends keep visiting with hob nailed boots, their own stars and strips duvets, and no lubrication. The clean air act has been progressively undermined by diesels.

Lament that the British Isles could never function as a whole - this possibly to do with the gravitational pull of arseholes. Have met some realy interesting people and watched David Attenborough grow old. Hate hot red commuter sunsets. Love Septemeber skies, the sea, the stars.

Wen me wos wee.. me dad worked in London for a cuppla years an we lived in SE London.. actually went 2 nursery ther an wen me 1st started 2 yap propa words.. they all came out zif me wos a propa lil cockney street urchin.. me bruvva an sista wer worse cos they wer a bit olda.. wos 3 wen we moved bak 'ome, cos both me mum an dad h8ed the transport probs..gettin ne wer bycar wos hell, parkin wos 'orrible, no tube wer we lived (south London not nearly so well served in that respect), bus journey 2 ne wer decent wos mince.. an it wos bout 25 minute walk 2 nearest railway station an dad loathed the at best 1 1/2 hour journey 2 work, spesh in summa wen it wos hot an reelly oppressive. tasteless an soggy chips an saveloys, but me dad did develop a taste for pie an mash an jellied eels (ugh) an still searches it out wen 'e goes down ther.. they both h8ed the unfriendliness an suspicion a the locals an ther rudeness.. (tho apart from the rudeness tho me has found Londoners ok.. an ther r lotsa peeps from all ova the world.. an hav found them ok an all..).

Still am ev so glad they moved us 'ome.. ratha liv 'ere than ther..but for all its faults London is a city a gr8 fun an triff shoppin.. incredibly vibrant place but has its faults jus like ne wer else an a triff plave 2 visit.. neva howeva in me own opinion..2 liv... soz Heph..we stayin put.. tee hee:tong:

sammie19
Mar 22, 2010, 8:31 AM
Born in Berwick Upon Tweed in Northumberland of Scottish parents and lived most of my life in a small village on the Scottish Border in which nothing ever happens. As a child it was a fun place because there were so many places to play and hide. Loved the spring and helped a local farmer with lambing every year. It was my job to bottle feed abandoned and orphaned lambs.

Did my schooling in Scotland just accross the border because my parents preferred the Scottish education system so speak with a soft Northumbrian/border Scots mix. The whole area is a confused mix of Scottish and English people on both sides and if you live there you never notice the border.

Nothing much happens in winter but the area is alive with agricultural events from the spring on. It is not an exciting place but does have a few cultural events such as open air theatre most years in summer. North of the border is much more popular with tourists and it is there that any excitement is to be had. People tend to pass through Northumberland on their way north. I think that is a pity for the Cheviot hills are very beautiful.

People are not very broadminded, but they do often indulge in illicit sex games exposing a hypocrisy which they would never accept. People of my age aren't quite so bad and sex is on their mind from a very young age and part of their lives for many before they are of legal age.

My village and the surrounding area may look idyllic, but there is quite a serious drug problem, and an even worse alcohol one.

The whole area is very beautiful and is a great place for any students of history with many ruined castles, great houses and battlefield sites. The River Tweed is also one of the great salmon fishing rivers of the world, and the town in which I was born, changed hands between the Scottish and English 13 times in a few hundred years and until quite recently, was still at war with Russia.

12voltman59
Mar 22, 2010, 9:52 AM
My second home town is Savannah, Georgia----I moved there as a teenager when I was 15 back in the mid-1970s. I loved living there---and even though I don't get there as much as I might like--I still love it---perhaps one day I will go back to live there again.

I graduated high school there and still keep in contact with some people there.

Savannah is a very pretty and a very historic city for America---it was settled in 1733 by General James Oglethorpe and of course--Georgia was one of the original 13 colonies.

Savannah played its role in the Revoluntionary War and also during the Civil War--or the War Between the States as many people in Savannah call that war. It also did its part in WWII with many "Liberty Ships" having been built in several long gone shipyards. The area plays a role in our ongoing wars today with Hunter Army Airfield located in the county and Fort Stewart, a major Army base located in the next county south.

Among some of the chamber of commerce type of historical facts, Savannah was the home of Juliette Gordon Lowe---founder of the Girl Scouts, the cotton gin was created here--something very important in the South, the city had the world's first nuclear powered commercial ships named for the city (The NS Savannah--one of the few such ships ever made), Savannah was the home of the Wesley Brothers who came from England in the colonial period and who brought Methodism to the United States, Savannah had one of the first synagogues in the US---certainly in the south.

Savannah was home of the great southern writer Flannery O'Connor and songwriter Johnny Mercer---he was famous for a lot of music but one of his signature songs was the lyrics for the song "Moonriver" that was written for the classic movie--"Breakfast at Tiffany's" and made a big hit by Andy Williams in the 1960s.

In more modern times---the city itself was the subject of a best selling non-fiction book, a subsquent movie produced and directed by Clint Eastwood and related documentaries all centered around the book, "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil."

Savannah is very well known in the south and elsewhere as a "party place" with all its great bars, nightclubs, restaurants and the like located on River Street and elsewhere downtown. River Street is a street a bit over a mile long that is down the bluff from the city right on the river where ya find all kinds of cool places to eat, drink, etc. They have bars that feature live music ranging from rock, country, jazz, blues and hip-hop down there.

Savannah is the current home of the now famous "chef"--Paula Deen and her restaurants, Lady and Sons and Bubba's Seafood.

Savannah is a great town for art and things of that nature---being home to what is now one of the largest art schools in the country---SCAD (Savannah College of Art and Design). SCAD has bought up stuff all over the downtown area that includes historic homes, buildings and theaters. It has its own cool night spots, restaurants and art galleries open to the public. SCAD now has satelite locations in downtown Atlanta and one in a town over in France.

Savannah has one of the top five oldest and largest St. Patrick Day Parade celebrations in the US---they probably just finally stopped partying from St Pat's Day last night----with "St. Pat's" having started a week ago Friday--going all through last week for many of the bars and partiers.

Savannah itself is not on the ocean----the city sits on a bluff above the Savannah River about 20 miles, give or take a few miles, inland from the sea. It does have a huge port facility with ships coming in from all over the world.

Savannah's beach is located on Tybee Island that you get to taking US Highway 80 out over a long causeway.

The little town out there used to be a kind of beat up beach town with a "funky beach vibe"--but in recent years--it has gotten much more developed and gone "upscale." You used to be able to buy a beach place for not a whole lotta money---but the place might have been barely standing---those days are gone----if ya want a beach house now---better have a big fat bank account and watch it get drained pretty good because even many places not actually on the beach-- in most cases are going to be new builds or major rehabs and can cost close to a million bucks now---even in this crappy economy.

Now a days, when it comes to beachhouse rentals---you can spend for a three-day weekend rental what you used to be able to rent the house for an entire summer beach season---but I guess that is pretty much the way things are all over now.

I am about due for one of my periodic "Savannah fixes"--just talking about it has made me start "jonesin" to spend some time down in Savannah!!!:bigrin::bigrin:

A cool place on Riverstreet:
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r216/mpgarr/P1060042.jpg

A park found on one of the many squares found in the city:
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r216/mpgarr/P1060081.jpg

One of many gorgeous Savannah homes:
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r216/mpgarr/P1060101.jpg

The Savannah River looking upriver from the seawall along River Street:
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r216/mpgarr/P1060004.jpg

A fountain found in one of the city's major downtown parks:
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r216/mpgarr/P1060136.jpg

CuddlyKate
Mar 22, 2010, 11:47 AM
me shall say no more cept that its birthplace 2 Fran, adopted 'ome of delish Aberdonian tart called Kate

I may have been born in Aberdeen, but was brought up in Perth from the age of 10 weeks. That hardly qualifies me as an Aberdonian. I think of Perth as my home town as you very well know and I wish you wouldn't keep irking me about it.

Perth is where I went to school until the age of 13 and still have many friends I keep in touch with. It is known as St. John's Toun which was its original name. It is a bit nondescript, but pleasant enough, and a very good base from which to holiday as the Highlands are so close and is called the gateway to them. Perthshire is particularly lovely as is much of Kinross to the south. The most beautiful part close by is Loch Tay and I spent many happy days holidaying on its shores as a child. The people are very friendly and welcoming as they are in the whole county, but while the cultural life of the town is limited it is always interesting and innovative especially during the tourist season.

The River Tay runs through the town and is Scotlands longest river. All six of Scotland's cities are within a few hours drive, including Aberdeen. Close by in Kinross is the valley of Glen Devon which is quite the most charming of Scotland's glens if not by any means its most beautiful or spectacular. St Andrew's is within easy reach and is another place I loved as a child for its beaches which always seemed to be windswept, but always seemed almost devoid of people.

It is not the loveliest of towns but is by no means an ugly place, and it remains important to me in a way my birthplace never can be. It is a pleasant place and was good to me and I know my parents didn't want to leave. What it does have that I like is an easy pace of life and no-one ever seems in much of a hurry.

dickhand
Mar 22, 2010, 12:21 PM
The great state o' Maine here . Home of the original Fort Knox , Stephen King , Joshua Chamberlain , Paul Bunyon & Babe the blue ox , King's Arrow Pines , best in the world lobsters , spuds , blue berries , and whoopie pies ! We have Acadia National park , one of only three in the world cable stay bridges with a public observation deck at the top , L.L.Beans and one our biggest tourist attractions , the crate that contained Lindbergh's plane Spirit of Saint Lewis for the trip back from europe . Bangor used to be the lumber capital of the world in the 1800's . We live with snow storms that seem to paralyze other states . Our state bird is the black fly . Wouldn't want to forget pot holes , new england boiled dinnahs , the B-52 crash on Elephant Mountain , covered bridges and fall foiliage for leaf peepers . This the state that was bullied by out of state native americans to change the name of anything with the word squaw in it . They say that squaw means vagina and it is offensive . Like Squaw Mountain . Apparently that means Native American Vagina Mouintain . What is galling about this is our local Native Americans are the ones that named the damn mountain in first place ! But , I digress , LOL ! I am sure I have forgotten one or two things , but I tried .

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Mar 22, 2010, 1:47 PM
lol It may mean Vagina to the Sessquhonick tribe there, but Squaw in many Native American languages translates out to: Wife, slave, property. And to some Indian women, them's fightin' words...lol My ex BF used to tease me and call me Squaw just to get me motivated(or to vex the hell outta me) I'd say "Shaddup Washtay" (Whiteman):bigrin:
Cant blame them for wanting the name changed tho. :}

darkeyes
Mar 22, 2010, 2:24 PM
I may have been born in Aberdeen, but was brought up in Perth from the age of 10 weeks. That hardly qualifies me as an Aberdonian. I think of Perth as my home town as you very well know and I wish you wouldn't keep irking me about it.

Ya's narked atya lickle Fwan me can tell.. wud nev irk ya... well not deliberately.. well not often.. tee hee..:tong:

Wrenn
Mar 22, 2010, 5:17 PM
I come from the "Are we there yet?" state

TwylaTwobits
Mar 23, 2010, 11:33 AM
I'm really loving reading the posts. So many different states in the US that people live in, so many different countries that people live in. It's an interesting read when you are looking between the lines, you can almost have a perfect picture in your mind of a slice of life. A stilllife portrait drawn with words for the world to share in some of the posts. So please keep them coming.

MarieDelta
Mar 23, 2010, 12:11 PM
This is a challenge for me, I've lived in many different places.

I grew up in a place in Oregon. Small town on the edge of the high desert, about eight hours from Reno, Nevada. Rainforests to the west. It's set away from the bustle of the interstate highway, a rural /redneck town with those values. The local lumber mill fuels the economy, what isn't fueled by the agricultural industries. My parents and my brother live there still.

My family has lived there for 4 generations, and my nephew is growing up there now.

I moved away after College, lived in California for a while (mostly in the central valley.)

Currently I live in the mile high city(Denver). Which is similar in elevation to where I was raised. Its a preetty busy city. To the west is where the atomic clock is kept To the south is the US Air Force Academy.

People here tend to be tolerant and easy going. Mostly a live and let live attitude prevails, even in some of the smaller towns.

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Mar 23, 2010, 1:08 PM
Ok, since I was told that I did this wrong the first time, here goes. :}

Where I grew up there were festivals celebrating the Founding Fathers of the town and every year at the 4th of July there was a huge celebration with a small carnival, tractor pulls, pie judging contests, pig wrestling, watermelon eating contests, BBQ's and best of all, the fireworks. There were 4-H shows, a Wild West Rodeo, and POW WOWs and gathers. Great time for a kid. :}

In the summer months there was camping on the river. Swimmg all during the daytime hours, and fishing off the banks. Exploring and just being a kid. Ahh, man, that was the life!
And night fishing...Ohhh, how I loved this. My brothers would make a campfire and we'd cook our evening meal,(It was quite a feast sometimes) then when it got dark, out would come the fishing lines and treble hooks with "Stink bait" and the whole camp would go to near darkness. We'd sit around that campfire and the "Grown ups" would start talking and telling tales of things and history past. It was almost always pitch black out there on the river..so black velvety dark and wondrously beautiful. We kids would huddle up on a mattress in the back of someone's pickup and just Listen to the old tales and scary stories. Sometimes one or two of the elders would tell of things that had been passed down from generation to generation about how our people used to live and be. You could almost Hear the chants of the elders when they did that, and if your mind was open and sharp, you could see what they talked of.

The night breezes were warm and beautiful, and way off across the river a loon would call, or you'd hear something you couldn't quite identify, and that's when someone would start in on a "Swamp Ape" or Skunkum, to get us kids going..lol Skunkum was the equvilent of a Big Foot back there, and we kids would lay there in delighted terror. And inevidibly, someone would say "Ya know, there was sign in so and so's fields the other night. Big tracks found in the mud near a house, or hair caught on a strand of "Bob wire" One would say, "Came right close to the house this time it did" and they would all nod knowingly.
Gifts were laid out to assure that that family was safe, and no eggs would go missing because of this tribute. And we kids would kinda look around in the darkness when something yowled across the river again..lol Used to scare us kids to Death, but we adored it. :bigrin:
And to fall asleep listening to the sounds of Mother Nature at night, the crackle of the fire, and the voices of grown up's talking is one of the best things I can remember about where, and how, I grew up. :}
Cat

dickhand
Mar 23, 2010, 4:23 PM
I am told we have Abnaki , Penobscot , Micmac , Pennacook , Sokoki , Malecite and Passamaquoddy tribes here in Maine . It was the out of state crowd that were offended by the word squaw . The white man continued to use the names given to mountains and rivers and so forth by the native americans long before we got here . I thought that was rather respectful . I would think that anything that had the word squaw in it being changed to moose would be insulting to the native american heritage . We now have Moose Mountain , Little Moose township , ect .