PDA

View Full Version : Catholic Care:High Court Ruling

darkeyes
Mar 17, 2010, 11:52 AM
It was pointed out to me at work this afternoon (in a quite unpleasant manner I may add) that the High Court in London has ruled that the charity Catholic Care can refuse to allow gay people to adopt. This charity receives tax perks and much help from the state to survive and operate. What the High Court has done is to reinforce prejudice and discrimination if this ruling is allowed to stand after appeals no doubt will follow to the Court of Appeal, Supreme Court and ultimately possibly the European Court, then once again Catholicism has cocked a snoot at the rights of gay and bisexual people.

Some day maybe there will be judges who will take a side other than that of an organisation full of bigotry and intolerance. At the very least the charity should now become with immediate effect liable for all taxes which any other business has to pay, and should have its charitable status revoked. But will it? Yea.. sure it will...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_yorkshire/8572077.stm

MarieDelta
Mar 17, 2010, 12:07 PM
Trying to resist the urge to say something here.

Something about this pope and child molestation scandals and the irony inherent in the Catholic Church deciding that same sex parents are unsuitable for adoption.

But , yeah , all of that...

FalconAngel
Mar 17, 2010, 3:24 PM
Just another reason that I oppose religions making the rules for everyone else.

Also a clear demonstration of why theocracies always fail the majority of the people.

Darkside2009
Mar 17, 2010, 8:20 PM
It was probably decided on the basis of two competing ideologies, neither of which should be allowed to force their views on the other.

People would place children in a Roman Catholic care home or orphanage because they would want the child raised as a Roman Catholic.

They have charitable status because of the moral imperative to establish children in a loving, secure home, they don't exist purely to make a profit as other businesses do, hence they can't be taxed as such.

There are other secular care homes or orphanages where the Roman Catholic ethos would not apply but their prime consideration must, and should always be what is in the child's best interests.

As the Roman Catholic Church considers sex between people of the same gender a sin, it is hardly surprising they would not wish to place children with such a couple, however loving they might be.

I think you might find other Christian churches had a similar attitude toward prospective adoptive parents.

The Roman Catholic Church seems to have been having quite a day of it. There have been calls for the Irish Cardinal to resign over having children sign letters swearing them to secrecy, after having been sexually molested by clergy years ago, when he was a bishop.

He has stated he will not resign unless the Pope asks him to. There was a Monsignore on the radio this morning who had studied at theological college with him.

He stated that if a paedophile came to him and disclosed his activities he would not inform the police, irrespective of whether or not the disclosure happened in the confessional box.

As you may imagine many irate calls to the radio station followed.

He claimed to justify it by saying lawyers and doctors had a similar duty of confidentiality.

Not their finest hour. I think protecting the reputation of the Roman Catholic Church was foremost in their minds.

Oh! Well, happy St.Patrick's Day to you all.