PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Books?

TwylaTwobits
Mar 15, 2010, 7:51 PM
Hi guys, just wondering what kind of books you like to read and what are some of your faves? For me I mainly read mysteries, historical romance, thrillers, paranormal romance and scifi/fantasy.

I have a few series I follow pretty closely. Right now I'm in the midst of rereading the FBI Special Crime Units books by Kay Hooper featuring an FBI unit made of up of pyschics who use their talents to solve some pretty nasty crimes.

rissababynta
Mar 15, 2010, 7:54 PM
Kay Hooper is one of my favorite authors. Lately, and I hate to admit this, I've been re-reading the Twilight books and Vampire Academy. I feel sooo dorky saying that...but it's true haha. They are enough to serve as a good distraction for me at the end of the day, and lately at night I haven't wanted to concentrate on anything...just read some dorky stuff.

TwylaTwobits
Mar 15, 2010, 7:57 PM
Nice Rissa, I have a series on "vampires" I follow by Christine Feehan about her Carpathians, completely sexy. Also JR Ward has the Black Dagger Brotherhood series...yum is all I can say.

darkeyes
Mar 15, 2010, 7:59 PM
Hi guys, just wondering what kind of books you like to read and what are some of your faves? For me I mainly read mysteries, historical romance, thrillers, paranormal romance and scifi/fantasy.

I have a few series I follow pretty closely. Right now I'm in the midst of rereading the FBI Special Crime Units books by Kay Hooper featuring an FBI unit made of up of pyschics who use their talents to solve some pretty nasty crimes.

I love the Rebus books by Ian Rankin cos they r bout me home town.. an wotta corrupt place it is.. am big in 2 British detective fiction, but some American also for escapism but love 2 read books on social and political history.

onewhocares
Mar 15, 2010, 8:28 PM
I must admit I am addicted to the works of Agatha Christie in the guise of Hercule Poirot and Miss Marple. My more current authoress is Janet Evanovich...she is hysterical. I love her Stephanie Plum character and the wild things she gets herself into...perhaps reminiscences of me....SO FUNNY.

Belle

Canticle
Mar 15, 2010, 8:53 PM
I really don't read as much as I should do and I have loads of books, which I must eventually plough through. Guess one of my all time favourite books, was one written for children....Tom's Midnight Garden by Philippa Pearce...just magical. I gave it to my daughter to read and she didn't like it. Ho Hum.

I very much like the work of Barbara Trapido and I like and enjoy novels set in India. Mostly modern day India and not the time of the Raj.

One of the most amazing novels I have read and I think everyone should read, is Villette by Charlotte Bronte. Mind blowing.

I don't like historical novels, especially ones that depict actual people from history. I like my history to be non-fiction.

History and art are very important to me, so history and art books.....I tend to gather. One can dip into those at will.

I really should read more fiction......I must make myself do do.

MarieDelta
Mar 15, 2010, 9:16 PM
I like fantasy and science fiction. Very few detective authors hold my attention after the first couple books.

I like the Jacqueline Carey's -Kushiel's Legacy (http://www.amazon.com/Jacqueline-Carey/e/B000APP0PA/ref=ntt_dp_epwbk_0) series

When Mary Magdalene wept over the dying Christ, her tears mixed with blood in the earth beneath him. From that soil the great earth mother formed Blessed Elua, the most beloved of angels, and from him and his band of eight angels descended the beautiful D'Angelines.

Phedre, a D'Angeline, is trained in the exotic Night Court to be a courtesan of the highest order. As she learns before she is 10, she is marked by the angel Kushiel, one of Elua's eight, whose path to ecstasy is one of pain and submission. Phedre leaves the Night Court to serve Anafiel Delauney. She becomes devoted to him, and he treats her like a favorite daughter, teaching her diplomacy, strategy, and the ability to recognize deeply layered patterns of intrigue. Because her beauty and sexual skills make her a coveted prize, her capabilities for observing and listening make her privy to some of the deadliest secrets whispered in her highborn clients' bedrooms. Thus she lives out her destiny as Kushiel's dart.

Compelled by honor, duty, and loyalty to her country, Phedre ultimately serves the queen of Terre d'Ange in a time of dire need. Making a marvelous debut, Carey spins a breathtaking epic starring an unflinching yet poignantly vulnerable heroine. The tale blends Christianity and paganism with fascinating results, such as arguing, through deft treatment of alternative sexual practices, the sacred potential inherent in every sexual encounter.

Paula Luedtke
Copyright © American Library Association. All rights reserved --This text refers to the Hardcover edition.

Some of my other favorites are

The Discworld Series - Terry Pratchett (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_16?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=terry+pratchett+discworld+series&sprefix=terry+pratchett+)

Anything By Neil Gaiman (http://www.amazon.com/Neil-Gaiman/e/B000AQ01G2/ref=sr_tc_2_0?qid=1268701938&sr=1-2-ent)

Other than that , lots of "research" books about Polyamory, BDSM, Trans sexuality...

:bigrin:

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Mar 15, 2010, 9:38 PM
My faves are: Anne McCaffery, Peirs Anthoney, Allen Dean Foster, Steven King, Dean Koontz, and love stories by a new up and coming author called Toni Minx...*Snicker*;):bigrin::cool:
Silly Cat

Billys_gurl
Mar 15, 2010, 10:30 PM
The Dark Tower series by Stephen King is my fave!
The Vampire books by Anne Rice comes in second. Her erotica series is soooo good, too.
I read Dean Koontz, Kay Hooper, Anne Stuart... just to name a few. I read ALOT!:bigrin:

ganix22
Mar 16, 2010, 3:12 AM
I have to say everyone should put Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card on their list. That series has been personal favorite of mine for years. A scifi classic. Another series I would recommend would be Magic Kingdom for Sale/Sold by Terry Brooks.

Realist
Mar 16, 2010, 9:22 AM
P.G. Wodehouse, author. Books: Wooster and Jeeves, my favorite!

The TV series was the epitome of British humor, to me.

I can never watch the series "House", because Hugh Laury and Stephen Fry can never be anyone but Wooster and Jeeves, to me!

darkeyes
Mar 16, 2010, 1:07 PM
There is so much wonderful literature out there which I love.. from Homer to Chaucer to Shakespeare to the Brontes to Dickens right through to Steig Larssen (awesome stories.. pity he is dead..)..

..working in Scottish education my job entails the teaching of literature.. but one writer I cannot stomache is one of our own... Sir Walter Scott, who couldn't write stories if his life depended on it.. stylistically he is a disaster and almost unreadable. Why his books are so popular I haven't got a clue.. and he has a lot to answer for giving my country a shortbread and tartan mentality which it is only now in part beginning to lose and image abroad which I loathe and which bears no relation whatever to the reality.

MarieDelta
Mar 16, 2010, 5:26 PM
For those of you who might want to connect with others over books there is goodreads (http://www.goodreads.com/), which is kind of like facebook, with less faces and more books.

They have several communities on there, as well.

xtopherix
Mar 16, 2010, 7:10 PM
I read a lot of fantasy, Mercedes Lackey, Raymond Fiest, and the like, but of course if I find really interesting non-fiction topics I'll generally give those a chance too.

TwylaTwobits
Mar 16, 2010, 8:16 PM
There is so much wonderful literature out there which I love.. from Homer to Chaucer to Shakespeare to the Brontes to Dickens right through to Steig Larssen (awesome stories.. pity he is dead..)..

..working in Scottish education my job entails the teaching of literature.. but one writer I cannot stomache is one of our own... Sir Walter Scott, who couldn't write stories if his life depended on it.. stylistically he is a disaster and almost unreadable. Why his books are so popular I haven't got a clue.. and he has a lot to answer for giving my country a shortbread and tartan mentality which it is only now in part beginning to lose and image abroad which I loathe and which bears no relation whatever to the reality.

OMG I know exactly what you mean. Ivanhoe was a MUCH better film, Rob Roy was interesting but damned near unreadable at times.

Seeking4664
Mar 16, 2010, 8:30 PM
Love the Hooper books. Bishop is a very compelling read. I love JD Robb's In Death series. Beginning with Naked in Death, and on book 30 now. Awesome reads about a cop in the future. 2058. For those that don't know Robb is Nora Roberts. Great books.
Also love anything by Stephen King. Dean Koontz. Stuart Woods. James Grippando. James Patterson. The list is endless.

nbboy1123
Mar 16, 2010, 9:20 PM
The Whole Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Series
Making Money by Terry Pratchert
The Golden Compass Series (all three books)

TwylaTwobits
Mar 16, 2010, 10:55 PM
Yeah Mercedes Lackey is very good, I can't believe I also forgot to mention a couple of writers who just blow my socks off. The Prey series by John Sandford and the Jack Reacher books by Lee Child.

BiJoe696
Mar 17, 2010, 10:06 PM
Dean Koontz "The Watchers" it is a lot different from most of his other books which I like also.

TwylaTwobits
Mar 22, 2010, 10:07 PM
For anyone looking at the Sandford books. Start with Rules of Prey. It really introduces you to the bad ass cop Lucas Davenport.

gfofbiguy
Mar 22, 2010, 11:11 PM
Patricia Cornwell up through The Last Precinct. I don't like the way she changed her writing style after that book (among other things).

Agatha Christie.

Robin Cook.

Nevada Barr.

Tony Hillerman.

Dorothy L. Sayers (Lord Peter Wimsey).

Maeve Binchy.

Janet Evanovich.

Lillian Jackson Braun.

Robert B. Parker.

Nelson DeMille.

Alexander McCall Smith (The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series).

James Patterson.

Plus a whole lot of other miscellaneous ones :-)

rdy2go
Mar 23, 2010, 12:23 AM
I tend to read a lot of history, and bio's. However, there is a series in the Sci fi/fantasy genre that caught my attention, it's the Shannara series by Terry Brooks. I read the first one "The Sword of Shannara back in... I think, 1980 or so, and he's still cranking them out one every few years. The man can tell a story. Do liner notes on CD's count as biography's, lol just asking.

TwylaTwobits
Mar 23, 2010, 12:29 AM
I liked the Shannara series but he caught my attention more with his Word vs Void series about the Freemark's.

citystyleguy
Mar 23, 2010, 1:03 AM
...when the world has intruded that bit too much, i shut it out with my favorite british authors, agatha christie, any and all of her detectives, i have all the books, all the dvds of made; also, dorothy sayer, sir athur conan doyle. on those oh so perfect days, i set up table and chair, make up some tea sandwiches and sweets, a big picture of tea, in this case iced, and settle and tell the world where it can get off; if dark and rainy, its a corner of the couch, savory tea bites, and a pot of hot tea. then there are rumpole of the baily, john mortimer's sage olld goat

if i want some urbane humor and british style, it is p.g. woodhouse, a martini, and appitizers, with some period lounge music or jazz music in the backgroud.

otherwise, it is current affairs to with politics, economics, or history (incuding military) currently, that includes the ascent of money, lords of finance, when the china rules the world, or currently several books on the late roman empire.

my addictions are mysteries, having read a series by an author whose name escapes me, set around a coffeehouse that she runs in the SoHo area of New York City, i have just picked up two that extends the darcy couple from jane auston, and as of last weekend, two from the mystery author laura childs, otherwise any series of mystery novels that grab my attention. currently reading a collection mysteries and crime stories called the vicious circle, by the writers of the algonquin round tables.

in addition, i read cookbooks, a habit i picked up from wife; currently focused on sauces, and returning to my first two bibles of the culinary world, julia childs two books on mastering french cookng. ...plus, a nifty book called the pleasure of cooking for one, by a one judith jones.

TwylaTwobits
Mar 23, 2010, 2:09 AM
As a lifelong reader, and a Literature teacher: Books that changed by life:

The Hobbit - JRR Tolkien

Time Enough for Love - Heinlein

Stranger in a Strange Land - Heinlein (this book changed my life more than any other on this list. Transformational in my thinking)

Dune - Frank Herbert

On a Pale Horse - Piers Anthony

Ender's Game - Orson Scott Carde

World War Z Max Brooks

Pasa

Great books, Pasa. I like the entire Incarnations series by Piers Anthony, each telling a tale that has a hidden moral at the end of the series.

Long Duck Dong
Mar 23, 2010, 2:22 AM
I love stories that are more natured oriented..... the jean auel earths children series I loved,
clan of the cave bear
valley of the horses
mammoth hunters
plains of passage,
shelters of stone....

I enjoyed the way it was possible to relate to ayla and jondular... tho I felt the final book was a lil rushed and empty......

some of my favs, are twilight eyes ( dean knootz ) wilbur smith books, ( perferly the taita series ) and as a kid, definately the famous five series by enid blyton

darkeyes
Mar 23, 2010, 6:06 AM
Read the Steig Larsson "Girl" Trilogy.. ifya like triff fiction, brill writin an stories wich keepya on edge a ya chair an up all nite.. then they for u..AND.. they think ther mite b a 4th manuscript.... wonna c the Swedish film but cant say the Hollywood 1 they wonna do entices me much...

framan101864
Mar 23, 2010, 7:05 AM
There are so many that it's difficult to choose. I enjoy detective/mystery novels and medieval sci fi the best. My favorite authors are Tolkein, Raymond Feist, Patricia Cornwell (until she got too depressing), Michael Crichton, and early Stephen King (The Shining scared the CRAP out of me...I loved it!)

Canticle
Mar 23, 2010, 1:24 PM
I have a most interesting book, about the history of torture. Absolutely fascinating. I also have another book called ''The Fireside Book of Death,'' about different customs etc to do with death. I got my son to buy it for me, one Christmas. This being when he was still at school. He is now heading for 30. I think he was not at all impressed with me giggling, because I knew the look he would have, upon his face, when he purchased the book. Mother's can be wicked. :bigrin::bigrin:;)

I also have an excellent book about epilepsy....or I did have it. I sent it to someone and they haven't sent it back. Doubt if it's been read, anyway.

I do love my books on art......and I am always adding a new one to the collection....I just love art...especially medieval paintings etc.

diamond_tether
Mar 23, 2010, 3:08 PM
The female half is a voracious reader and reads a lot of poetry, as well as non-fiction. One of her favorite lifestyle-relevant books would be 'The Ethical Slut' by Easton & Hardy.

The male half is into a lot of eastern philosophy and science-fiction, especially 'Steampunk' which is gaining in popularity. One of his favorites, which is just general fiction, is 'The Ascetic of Desire' by Sudhir Kakar; it's a mildly fact-based fictional representation of the life of the guy who wrote The Kama Sutra.

still_shy
Mar 23, 2010, 4:14 PM
I love to read!! When I was younger, I read a lot of poetry and "smart" fiction. Now that I'm older, I've found that I like to read mostly for enjoyment. My list of favorites is a little embarrassing :) I'll start with Patricia Cornwell, Scott Turow, Sara Paretsky and Janet Evanovich. (here's where it gets dicey) I'm a sucker for a good romance and love Danielle Steel, Nora Roberts, Luanne Rice, Barbara Delinsky, Sandra Brown and Sheryl Woods. Not exactly mentally stimulating :)

OmegaGray
Mar 23, 2010, 10:03 PM
10. God Bless You Mr. Rosewater-Kurt Vonnegut

9. The Redwall Series-Brian Jacques

8. Steppenwolf-Herman Hesse

7. 1984-George Orwell

6. Dune-Frank Herbert

5. Player Piano-Kurt Vonnegut

4. Last of the Mohicans-James Fenimore Cooper

3. The Name of the Rose-Umberto Eco

2. The Lord of the Rings-J.R.R Tolkein

1. The Count of Monte Cristo-Alexandre Dumas

temjintorres
Mar 24, 2010, 4:47 PM
10. God Bless You Mr. Rosewater-Kurt Vonnegut

9. The Redwall Series-Brian Jacques

8. Steppenwolf-Herman Hesse

7. 1984-George Orwell

6. Dune-Frank Herbert

5. Player Piano-Kurt Vonnegut

4. Last of the Mohicans-James Fenimore Cooper

3. The Name of the Rose-Umberto Eco

2. The Lord of the Rings-J.R.R Tolkein

1. The Count of Monte Cristo-Alexandre Dumas

Wow i got two there! Name of the rose and monte cristo. awesomeness on paper! but mine are (to name but a few) David Copperfield - charles dickens (best first sentence i've ever read), the pillars of the earth - ken follett, keep the aspidistra flying - george orwell (made me rethink everything i'd ever thought about money) catcher in the rye - j.d salinger, catch-22 - joseph heller, as the crow flies - jeffrey archer, and carrie pilby - by... i dunno! but really clever little book it was!

bettybob
Mar 24, 2010, 6:53 PM
My Favourite author is Cormac Mc Carthy, he does what it means to be a man like no other. Blood Meridian is his greatist work it surpasses Moby Dick as the greatist American novel....

topheavynurse
Mar 24, 2010, 7:30 PM
:bigrin:Rissa I hear you on the feeling like a dork. I am currently reading Breaking Dawn of the twilight saga. I have read the Harry Potter series like 3 time. Altho to stand up for my self i started reading them when they came out and i was 15/16 somewhere round there. I love Jane Austen, Nora Roberts, John Grisham, Anne Rice(before she decided she was writing about evilness), and JRR Tolken just to name a few. I am an avid reader and have been most of my life.

Ninnian
Mar 24, 2010, 8:47 PM
I have been , and probably always will eb a vorascious reader- when life gets abit stressful, I use my books as Escapism, I fear....
Im a history fan- so well written , well researche dhistory always has me a s afdan..
but Most of my reading come sform Sci-Fo and Fanstasy and my Fave authors in teh genres are:

Mercedes Lackey
John RIngo
David Weber
Eoin Colfer
Anne Mcaffery (sp?)
and Orson Scott Card

monk93
Mar 24, 2010, 11:06 PM
Some really great suggestions in here! I'm gonna have to look some of these authors up!

Some of my personal favorites: R.A. Salvatore - The Crystal Shard series. Terry Pratchett - The Discworld series. Robert Asprin - The MYTH series and Phules Company series. Also the Thieves world books. Anything by Agatha Christie. Dickens is fabulous! (I'm 34 and only recently discovered his work!)

From my childhood (and still favorites when I need some "comforting"): the Mrs. Piggle Wiggle books. Nancy Drew. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn....

Some of the best books I've read have been picked up at random or suggested by "friends" like Terry Brooks "Kingdom for Sale" and the Crystal Shard series.

I love to read though. I've been known to read food labels when there's nothing else! :bigrin:

TwylaTwobits
Mar 24, 2010, 11:17 PM
The more people post the more I get reminded of books I have absolutely loved. R.A. Salvatore...sigh Drizzt Do'Urden.... I love him and his relationship with Bruenor. His Cleric Quintet was not the best in the world but had a great storyline, but the Drizzt trilogies, especially the Icewind Dale and the DarkElf sets are amazing in detail and storyline.

void()
Mar 25, 2010, 4:44 AM
I like fantasy and science fiction. Very few detective authors hold my attention after the first couple books.

I like the Jacqueline Carey's -Kushiel's Legacy (http://www.amazon.com/Jacqueline-Carey/e/B000APP0PA/ref=ntt_dp_epwbk_0) series

Some of my other favorites are

The Discworld Series - Terry Pratchett (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_16?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=terry+pratchett+discworld+series&sprefix=terry+pratchett+)

Anything By Neil Gaiman (http://www.amazon.com/Neil-Gaiman/e/B000AQ01G2/ref=sr_tc_2_0?qid=1268701938&sr=1-2-ent)

Other than that , lots of "research" books about Polyamory, BDSM, Trans sexuality...

Pratchett "Argh!" :)

A lover got me into Pratchett a little while ago. He's hi-larious, almost as much as Lenny Bruce.

I also like reading Eric Lustbader, Michael Connelly, Poppy Z. Bryte, Verne, Poe, Coleridge, Addison, Jefferson, Paine. I'm not as quick a speed reader as I once was though. Used to ravage an average sized library in a day or two, and yeah reading most everything they had.

Oh, let me see who else?

I love this (http://www.ursulakleguin.com/UKL_info.html) lady's stories. Her and another (http://margaretatwood.ca/) writer often help keep me in-sane.

sexy couple
Mar 25, 2010, 5:45 AM
Science Fiction, Art History and Shakespeare are some favorite subjects... Currently enjoying Homer's "The Odyssey", "Olives & Oranges - Recipes & Flavor Secrets from Italy, Spain, Cyprus & Beyond", and a fantastic comprehensive history of Pompeii we purchased from LACMA at the "Pompeii and the Roman Villa" exhibit last year.

TwylaTwobits
Mar 28, 2010, 9:53 AM
Been reading lots lately, finished a couple series for the third and fourth time. Even if the writing is what I term "bubble gum", if the plot holds my attention I will finish a book. I love when author's re-release an older book updated as they have progressed in both writing technique and grammatical proficiency.

rdy2go
Mar 28, 2010, 7:14 PM
For fans of Rush, the latest bio by Jon Collins. Rush - Chemistry. Typical rock and roll biography, with some humour chucked in for the helluve it! 2112.

MarieDelta
Mar 28, 2010, 7:31 PM
For fans of Rush, the latest bio by Jon Collins. Rush - Chemistry. Typical rock and roll biography, with some humour chucked in for the helluve it! 2112.

You mean this Rush:
http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/AQUA/24-274~Rush-Posters.jpg

Not this one:
http://weblogs.wpix.com/sports/thehuddle/rush_limbaugh_0213.jpg

Right?

TwylaTwobits
Mar 29, 2010, 2:34 AM
Looks at Marie and plans on doing the American thing and suing for emotional distress brought on by the thought of Rush Limbaugh.......shudders.

MarieDelta
Mar 29, 2010, 11:02 AM
Just found out Mercedes Lackey has a Podcast Serial - http://www.secretworldchronicle.com/ -

Its pretty good so far (I'm only into the third installment of the first book.)

TwylaTwobits
Mar 29, 2010, 11:24 AM
I knew she had that on her website, I just never had the time to check it out. Thanks for posting the link :)

Indyguy
Mar 29, 2010, 11:40 AM
I enjoy reading, and some of my favorites are:

Atlas Shrugged - Ayn Rand

The Fountainhead - Ayn Rand

Too many to list really, some I keep going back to. Things that are happening in our world today, were discussed in Atlas Shrugged way back then, so it is interesting to see someones thoughts come to pass.

Reading now : "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People" - Stephen R. Covey

rdy2go
Mar 29, 2010, 7:56 PM
You mean this Rush:
http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/AQUA/24-274~Rush-Posters.jpg

Right?

This one marie, lol The other one couldn't "rush" anywhere, and his surname reminds me of a stinky cheese!

rdy2go
Mar 29, 2010, 8:27 PM
[QUOTE=Indyguy;161310]I enjoy reading, and some of my favorites are:

Rands 'Athem' was the basis for the Rush album 2112. Because of that influence when the album came out in England, and they toured there for "A Farewell to Kings" the band were labelled fascists by members of the rising punk movement at the time, which really had a deep effect on bassist Geddy Lee. His parents were concentration camp surviours, (They spent time in Auschwitz) and the Nazi's killed most of his family. The power of the written word can have a dark side huh? Rdys Rock Trivia for this month! Next month we shall debate the merit of Leonard Cohn doing an album of metallica covertunes, lol

TwylaTwobits
Apr 7, 2010, 4:58 PM
Interesting, Rdy. I'm currently trying to replace my library that I lost when my hd crashed. I have been having a hard time finding certain books and of course fictionwise insists that when I download they can only be on a copy of Microsoft Reader that I had activated at the time I bought them. Sighs...so I had to do the poor pitiful me I had to buy a new pc to get another validation for that email because they allow you six in a lifetime.

Aside from that Microsoft Reader is an excellent way to read books on PC and I often have a book on PC here reading and an honest to god book by my bed for reading before sleep. When I was working quite often I'd have a book on the PC there for slow times and another real book in the car to read at lunch.

Lonewolf76
Apr 7, 2010, 5:13 PM
1. Lord of the Rings series by JRR Tolkien
2. Shannara Series by Terry Brooks
3. Revolutionary War History
4. Civil War History
5. Pirate History

Wolfie

TwylaTwobits
Apr 7, 2010, 9:53 PM
Score!! Found the new Jack Reacher book by Lee Child for download, I know what I'm reading later :)

ChaiLatte
Apr 7, 2010, 11:59 PM
I enjoy reading, and some of my favorites are:

Too many to list really, some I keep going back to. Things that are happening in our world today, were discussed in Atlas Shrugged way back then, so it is interesting to see someones thoughts come to pass.

I completely agree with those choices, Indy. I read Fountainhead & Shrugged back to back last year and was very impressed.

I like the Incarnations of Immortality series by Piers Anthony, especially On A Pale Horse.

But my all time favorite book has to be Good Omens by Neil Gaiman & Terry Pratchett. It's a fun little comedy about Armageddon. It's the only book where I finished reading and immediately started over again as well as the only book I've read more than three times.

TwylaTwobits
Apr 8, 2010, 11:04 PM
Woot I was looking very hard for Black Trillium and I not only found it....found the entire five books in that set. Black Trillium was my Marion Zimmer Bradley, Andre Norton, and Julian May. They wrote about the fictional kingdom of Ruwenda being overun by neighboring Labornok. Three princesses, triplets, escaped and were sent on quests. Each author wrote about the trials and tribulations of a different princess. The later books cover what happened after. If you have a chance and like high fantasy, give it a read.

DareMe
Apr 8, 2010, 11:38 PM
Lately I have been into reading Malcom Gladwell (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malcolm_Gladwell )

if you enjoy freaky economics and are fact oriented. This is a delight. This guy is responsible for the lately frequent use of the expression "Tipping Point'. hint hint, the title of one of his books.

DM