PDA

View Full Version : Daylight Saving Time..lol

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Mar 14, 2010, 6:17 PM
Two of my girls got on line this morning complaining of "Oh, the loss of an hour has really messed me up" :rolleyes:

I laughed and told them I didnt understand this, as time isnt a real concept. You dont lose or gain Anything by moving the hands of a small machine forward or backwards. The sun doesnt go by the dictates of humans just because a President long ago wanted to get more man hours of work out of people. The premise was to have a longer working day so that more production could be gained for a stronger economy. Working longer in the fields meant a better yeild of crops, and construction meant that you got more built, and yes, this is a good thing. That's all fine and dandy and I'm all for free commerce, but time isnt lost or gained simply on people's say so...lol

I laugh because some people can barely function after the times changes. Its all in the mind, and all of the conditioning that humans have become accustomed to all of these years. I know that people Have to accomodate the time factors all over the world, but I still chuckle at those who have a hard time getting up in the morning simply because a machine tells them that time itself has changed. Maybe its just me, but I still run on Indian time: Sun comes up, sun goes down, you get shit done in between. Sun comes up, you begin work. It goes down, its time to stop for the night. Wouldn't life be a hell of alot easier if folks went back to the old ways of doing some things?
Thanks for listenin'. ;):bigrin:
Yer Silly Cat

framan101864
Mar 14, 2010, 7:43 PM
That was really well done, thanks for taking the time to write it. I agree with every word...except the starting work at daylight part LOL. I'm usually still sleeping then....

OmegaGray
Mar 14, 2010, 10:52 PM
What I find to be interesting is how mankind's integration of quantifying time, regardless of life expectancy, (after all, isn't it mortality that dictates the need to separate now from then?) correlates poorly with technological progression. I read somewhere that the average upkeep of a domicile 5,000 years ago was something like 20 hours a week less than modern housekeeping with modern conventions. Of course, less space and fewer possessions requires less upkeep, but I always found it odd that the advancements of mankind, specifically in increasing life expectancy, don't actually seem to allow for more free or uninhibited time in one's life. It seems contradictory to the nature of convenience we seem to strive for in our progression as a civilization. Now there is a distinct possibility that I'm talking out of my ol' puckerhole here, as I've not exactly researched anything on the subject. So, I apologize if there are glaring gaps in my ideas, here. This is just something I was kicking around in my head that seemed to fit the thread. Thanks for giving me a venue Cat! <3:bigrin:

grayhound
Mar 15, 2010, 1:17 AM
Why not just move the clocks 1/2 hour then leave them alone and let nature take over .... just MHO

xtopherix
Mar 15, 2010, 1:35 AM
The majority of us have completely abandoned any semblance of a normal circadian cycle. It's no small wonder that as a populace we have so many sleep disorders. In fact, right now I'm wishing that I could be in bed asleep but I have to work from midnight to 6am. We ignore our bodies because we don't have any "time". We're expected to be busy busy busy from the time we wake up until late into the evening. I was reading the other day that for a the average teenage body to work at peak efficiency, it needs to be asleep from 2am until 11am every day. Why does highschool start at 8?

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Mar 15, 2010, 1:46 PM
LOl Are you kidding? Most teenagers, that arent in school, sleep that much anyway. Then are out partying all night long..lol But I do agree with the sleep balance being messed up.
Cat

Annika L
Mar 15, 2010, 4:36 PM
Why not just move the clocks 1/2 hour then leave them alone and let nature take over .... just MHO

Why not *not* turn the clocks 1/2 hour...*just* leave them alone. Nature has already taken over (well, it's always been in control).

We (humans) created the 24-hour day, and we are the only ones to whom that system has any meaning. The more we fiddle around with it, the less meaning the system has...what time it is now depends not only on what time zone you're in, but also what time of the year, what the rules are in your locality (parts of Indiana, for instance, do not "observe" DST), what the President's whim is (which varies by what political party is in power), etc.

Having some kind of system for marking time can be helpful, Cat...otherwise, meeting you at the airport becomes kinda difficult...unless I want to get picked up at the crack of dawn, the stroke of sunset, or high noon (and if my plane lands at 3:15pm, I don't wanna wait for any of those). But it needs to be simple, and it needs to be fixed...the more complicated and changeable it is, the less useful and meaningful it is.

I also maintain that if we're going to have a "Standard" time and a variant time, the Standard should be in effect for at least half the friggin year. :cool:

12voltman59
Mar 15, 2010, 5:24 PM
The change of an hour that is daylight savings time is really no big deal to me----but I can sure get all messed up when traveling---it seems going from an eastern location to a western one----like going from the US east coast to the west coast is no problem----but it is a killer to go from say San Francisco to Miami and trying to readjust to that time change---there was no adjustment at all going from east to west---but it always takes me almost a week to get back in synch when I come back from a trip to the west.

It is odd that I never seemed to have much trouble going from the US east coast to Europe--that is a west to east trip, but it was harder than hell to readjust coming back home from Europe--anyone else experience that? I don't know why the east to west and west to east thing doesn't remain consistent when making those two types of trips.

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Mar 15, 2010, 9:49 PM
Having some kind of system for marking time can be helpful, Cat...otherwise, meeting you at the airport becomes kinda difficult...

lol Oh Darlin, I'd Never be late in pickin' You up.. *Sly wink, and a naughty grin*..;):bigrin:
Cat

xtopherix
Mar 16, 2010, 6:25 PM
The only time I ever have a problem with daylight savings time is when I'm up all night, because then it gets to eleven and I don't know if I should change it then because if we were an hour ahead it would be midnight and a new day, or if I should wait til midnight to do it, but then when I change it it's 1:00, and I usually have things to do at 1 for my job, so it's kindda weird.

darkeyes
Mar 16, 2010, 6:36 PM
The only time I ever have a problem with daylight savings time is when I'm up all night, because then it gets to eleven and I don't know if I should change it then because if we were an hour ahead it would be midnight and a new day, or if I should wait til midnight to do it, but then when I change it it's 1:00, and I usually have things to do at 1 for my job, so it's kindda weird.

We go ova 2 British Summa Time at end a the month.. nev hav a prob wiv it cos we out partyin or clubbin usually on Sat nites/Sun mornins ..insteada gettin 'ome at 4 or 5 in mornin..we will jus get 'ome at 5 or 6 in mornin... the hangova is usually the same woteva time it is:(.. but we hav luffly undastandin babbasitters.. tee hee:bigrin:

xtopherix
Mar 16, 2010, 7:24 PM
We go ova 2 British Summa Time at end a the month.. nev hav a prob wiv it cos we out partyin or clubbin usually on Sat nites/Sun mornins ..insteada gettin 'ome at 4 or 5 in mornin..we will jus get 'ome at 5 or 6 in mornin... the hangova is usually the same woteva time it is:(.. but we hav luffly undastandin babbasitters.. tee hee:bigrin:

I didn't have any problems this year. I was out at a concert and was out all night afterward. I kindda just guessed at what time it was the next morning. =)

Donkey_burger
Mar 17, 2010, 9:42 AM
.....and could we close everything down one day a week like we used to on Sundays and really relax for a change?

Thanks Cat. Well said.

Try picking a day without religious connotations, to begin with. Good luck with that one.

I'm just picking on ya'.

DB :bipride:

Lonewolf76
Mar 18, 2010, 9:19 PM
Cat,
I'm sorry - I would've answered this - but I was running behind - forgot to set the clock forward... LOL Hugs! Wolfie

citystyleguy
Mar 18, 2010, 10:11 PM
to each their own, but i have never understood this fascination with daylight; left to me, get up between noon and two p.m. and to bed as needed usually 7 hours. other than business, i wouldn't bother with time, but others measure their lives with it, so to coexist, set the damn clock and take on the day!

sammie19
Mar 18, 2010, 10:27 PM
to each their own, but i have never understood this fascination with daylight; left to me, get up between noon and two p.m. and to bed as needed usually 7 hours. other than business, i wouldn't bother with time, but others measure their lives with it, so to coexist, set the damn clock and take on the day!

If you lived in darkness all of your life I think you would have quite a different opinion.