PDA

View Full Version : TOYOTA: The bad news keeps on coming!!

12voltman59
Feb 3, 2010, 12:14 PM
Man--what a fall from grace that company has had happen in a short time!!!!----They go from being the paragon of quality cars to the problems they are having now---with the stop on sale of most of their models due to sticking accelator pedals here in the US and other places.

Just a bit ago--I heard a report that Toyota now has some models with some sort of brake problems in addition to sticky accelators.

Do you have any of the affected Toyota models??

Does this current situation with Toyota cars change your view of that company and its cars??

This is got to be costing them tons of cash--I had heard on one report---well over a million dollars a day!!!

quiet1fornow
Feb 3, 2010, 3:06 PM
The media has simply fallen out of bed with Toyota on this is all that has changed....
In 2008...Toyota recalled more vehicles than they sold! They also received a loan from the Japanese Government for approximately 25 billion dollars to keep operating...I am not sure of the amount they were supposed to be returning to request to borrow this year...there are operating in a deficit currently, I believe...Toyota has had tremendous issues with sludge in their engines over the years...that has been addressed by them and allowed to be a non-issue when it came to again mainstream media….costing customers lots of money…
Do not get me wrong Toyota makes an excellent vehicle…they are not perfect and I am somewhat comforted that finally it is allowed to be addressed publicly….there is not a manufacturer in today’s world that does not make a good, high quality vehicle…NO ONE…had, back in the day the domestic manufacturers required maintenance to be done at their facilities to validate the warranty… it is doubtful in my mind that the imports would have ever been able to make the gains they were allowed in this country!
This, current focus on Toyota to me is similar to what happens in investing…it is simply an adjustment that is long overdue….they do not design and make better vehicles…a Toyota is a quality vehicle…so is a Buick or Chevrolet…they do however do a better job of making sure the owners feel they have to do all ask of them or lose their warranty coverage’s…or have them restricted….and they have enjoyed being in the glow of the media….the perception that they can do on wrong…well…why is it a surprise they are human and fallible?
We need healthy competition…we also need a level playing field…..it is nice to see it might have adjusted some to do just that!
OK…yes I have been in automotive retail for over 34 years….yes…most of them have been surrounding GM…I have watched a company that if anything over researched and developed their vehicles; in fact our government mandated that the original “On Board Diagnositc” system developed by GM be handed to all other manufacturers for free…. make mistakes but not be so graciously treated in years as Toyota has even in these circumstances….I have also represented Volvo, Mazda, Nissan, Toyota and Honda! The real major differences in the manufacturers….demanding loyalty and support of their dealers to retain warranty. When I was growing up many times I would hear a gentleman brag he had gone 30,000 miles on his Ford or Chevy without an oil change and it did well….what an idiot is what I used to and still do think….if a customer admitted that fact to many of the imports… any claim against them for defective workmanship….denied…oh and GM and other domestics have extended goodwill to their customers for years… I had a Nissan that had a bad radio…I went in before the warranty was out and they ordered the radio…my schedule did not allow me to get back to the store for two weeks…I was now one week out of time….they refused to replace it.. and when I placed a call to customer assistance a direct department of Nissan….…they backed the dealer it was my fault for not stopping all to get there not there is no goodwill…I drive GM exclusively now…
I am still in automotive retail and intend on continuing for a while…I do not wish ill will to any of the manufacturers…any negative publicity today hurts all of us in this industry…I am kind of happy it is Toyota’s turn in the media limelight though… I would be not telling the truth if I said differently!!

Q
:cool:

Realist
Feb 3, 2010, 3:13 PM
I hope they get this PR thing straight, along with their safety issues.

It's definitely something that needs to be fixed, but knowing what the problem is and doing a little preventive maintenance on your own, should be OK until they fix it.

I know most people couldn't fix their own cars, but I know exactly what to do if my gas pedal hangs up.

1. If you're driving and the petal sticks to the floor, put your shifter into neutral, but DO NOT turn the engine off, because you'll lose your power brakes and steering, if you do! (The engine will not rev up too fast, because the computerized rev-limiter will prevent that. It'll sound like it's running away, but it won't)

2. Then, when you coast off to the side of the road, you can shut your engine down. Call for help, then.

I've had 5 Toyotas, even though I've loved my older American cars, I can say that I've never owned a vehicle that gave better service, or lasted so long. (2 of them ran flawlessly over the 200,000 mile mark with no major problems)

And, NO, I do not have anything to do with Toyota, or stocks in the company! This is just my opinion.