PDA

View Full Version : The Movie "Paranormal Activity"

12voltman59
Jan 29, 2010, 1:21 PM
I did not see this movie in the theaters but I rented the DVD of it and just watched it--I have to say---they did a hell of a job doing it----it was very realistic and believable.

The way they did it in that minimalistic, documentary sort of style actually made it very creepy and scary.

I am glad I watched it in the daytime and it was funny--during the film--there was some noise that crashed on my roof--even the cats looked up at it---but that was not anything of a supernatural happening--just some ice from last night breaking free and sliding down from one section of roof onto the lower ones!!

This was the film that Blair Witch could and should have been.

I do think that Mikah, the male character in the movie, was being an asshole and a bit of an idiot for thinking he had the situation under control and he could somehow stop it, but his attude is reflective of so many modern men on things like this---"ohh--stuff like demons is bullshit on one hand and cool on the other!" and that "I have this under control and I don't need any help to deal with this!!!"

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Jan 29, 2010, 1:28 PM
We tried watching this, and I just couldnt seem to get into it. It was too Blair Witchy-ish for me....I hope it was good for other folks tho. :}
Cat

mikey3000
Jan 29, 2010, 1:30 PM
Yeah, I really enjoyed it too. I don't like slasher movies anymore, they give me bad dreams now. I much preferr stuff like PA and The Blair Witch. Ever seen the Omen? Especially part II. Or there's an old film called The Changling. One of my all time favourites.

12voltman59
Jan 29, 2010, 1:34 PM
CAT---this film totally kicks Blair Witch's butt all over the place and wipes the floor up too--BW doesn't even come anywhere near to this one----

This movie--compared to all of the effects laden, blockbuster "scary films" kicks their butts too--to me--I really think in many cases---"less is more"

The other ones that I find pretty creepy are the ones from Japan, or their American versions, about the vengeful ghosts that just won't quit.

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Jan 29, 2010, 1:36 PM
Ohhhh, the Changling with George C. Scott was an all time favorite of mine when it first came out. Scared my kids half ta death...lol That and Ghost Story. Remember the old House on Haunted Hill with Vincent Price? The Uninvited with Ray Milan, the Shuttered room, and the Birds? Wonderful old classics.
I love these kinds of scary movies, but I cant handle the gory ones anymore.
Sigh, I'm gettin old....lol
Cat

mikey3000
Jan 29, 2010, 1:50 PM
Ohhhh, the Changling with George C. Scott was an all time favorite of mine when it first came out. Scared my kids half ta death...lol That and Ghost Story. Remember the old House on Haunted Hill with Vincent Price? The Uninvited with Ray Milan, the Shuttered room, and the Birds? Wonderful old classics.
I love these kinds of scary movies, but I cant handle the gory ones anymore.
Sigh, I'm gettin old....lol
Cat

Remember them? I have them all on DVD and watch them all the time. I love a good, ol' fashion ghost story. Classic.

12voltman59
Jan 29, 2010, 1:50 PM
The original Alien was pretty creepy and I liked the modern version of The Thing set at the arctic research station--it was much better than the first one.

I did like all of those older "horor" flicks too--but compared to what they have on today---they don't seem nearly as scary---

I do agree--I don't much care for all the slash 'em up, blood and gore ones---they are either getting almost boring or predictable--or now---they are simply too unrelenting with the carnage in their desire to amp up the "scare factor."

mikey3000
Jan 29, 2010, 2:04 PM
To mee, there's a big difference between ghost stories and horror films. I don't like to be horrofied anymore. I just watch the news for that. But to snuggle up with your honey (or honies) under a big ol blanket, with the fire place going and the snow falling out side, lights off, and watching a good ghost story, well it doesn't get much better than that. :bigrin:

TwylaTwobits
Jan 29, 2010, 2:19 PM
I haven't seen it yet, but I plan on it. I have heard good things about it. I didn't really care for Blair Witch, the story yeah, the presentation not so much. There are a lot of ghost story movies, after all it's one of the big three of horror fiction and most decent books become movies that come close to matching the author's vision. On the flip side there are some really bad plots that turn out brilliant in the hands of a skillful director.

rissababynta
Jan 29, 2010, 2:26 PM
The original Alien was pretty creepy and I liked the modern version of The Thing set at the arctic research station--it was much better than the first one.

I did like all of those older "horor" flicks too--but compared to what they have on today---they don't seem nearly as scary---

I do agree--I don't much care for all the slash 'em up, blood and gore ones---they are either getting almost boring or predictable--or now---they are simply too unrelenting with the carnage in their desire to amp up the "scare factor."

LOL I just watched Paranormal Activity last night and right afterwards I ended up watching Alien.

ANYways, I didn't think that Paranormal Activity was anything to scream about (haha, get it). I didn't think it was really scary. There was one part in particular that I REALLY liked though, but I don't want to talk about it because if anyone plans on watching it, well, I'd feel bad to give anything away. Overall, I did enjoy it. I thought it was ok. I'd definitely watch it again. But I just don't understand why there are butt loads of people raving about it.

Billys_gurl
Jan 29, 2010, 3:43 PM
For those who have seen it, I haven't, a friend told me that she and her sister rewoumd about 5 minutes from the end and the ending that showed was completely different from the first! She said they looked it up and aparently it switches endings or something when you rewatch it! Try iy and let me know.

rissababynta
Jan 29, 2010, 4:22 PM
For those who have seen it, I haven't, a friend told me that she and her sister rewoumd about 5 minutes from the end and the ending that showed was completely different from the first! She said they looked it up and aparently it switches endings or something when you rewatch it! Try iy and let me know.

First of all, I don't even know how this would be possible. I looked it up online and no website anywhere said that this could happen, so...I don't know.

Second, I did read a few things about the movie on a few websites and I am SO unahappy now because what was actually the original ending would have made this movie jump up a few notches in my book. Why they decided to change it to the crappy ending that they have now (probably because they might have had to raise the rating of the movie, maybe they didn't want to) is beyond me.

mikey3000
Jan 29, 2010, 4:35 PM
DVDs come with alternate endings all the time. Technology is a wonderful thing.

http://www.getthebigpicture.net/blog/2009/10/28/watch-the-alternate-ending-to-paranormal-activity.html

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Jan 30, 2010, 12:24 AM
lol I used to adore good old fashioned "Monster movies" when I was a kid. Loved Dracula, the Wolfman, Frankenstien, the Mummy, Creature from the Black Lagoon. Anything with Dinosaurs or ghots was a fave of mine.(And still are, truth be known) I loved stuff that startled the pants off of you but didnt gross you out with slash'n hack.
Yeah, the Alien trilogy was great, too. I just love good Sci-Fi, scary movies, fantasy and love series' like Ghost Hunters and ones like that. :}
I'm weird, what can I say? lo l:rolleyes:
Spookie Cat

void()
Jan 31, 2010, 2:47 AM
"I do agree--I don't much care for all the slash 'em up, blood and gore ones---they are either getting almost boring or predictable--or now---they are simply too unrelenting with the carnage in their desire to amp up the "scare factor.""

Tourista.

I had to laugh over the premise of the plot and gore. Mad doctor plays Robin Hood for local Brazilian villa, cuts up living tourists and sells organs to build schools. There was scene where the doc was supposedly removing a girl's liver. She was allegedly still alive, as the doc explained to a male captive, "got to get them while they're fresh you see, the price is higher for living organs for the transplant lists."

Couldn't help but laugh as he shoved his hand into her abdomen and proceeded to chuck out her spleen as she moaned very similar to having an orgasmic. I mean come on ...(sigh). Here let me rip out your spleen buddy, see if you just moan like you shot a load.

"Hello."

So yeah, I agree glitz-wood is way overboard for the shock or scare value. But it's kind of sad in a way. I'm jaded enough that watching that scene didn't 'bother' me other than to call bullshit and turn the movie off. I really have no desire to see PA, BW or even House of a Thousand Corpses by Zombie. Changling kicked ass. And it reminded me if I ever have human children, they damn sure will be like the little boy in Mad Max Beyond the Thunder Dome. That little boy had balls enough to stop a train for a hold up but sense enough to run from a horde of jackals. He was raised right, that boy.

roy m cox
Feb 1, 2010, 12:35 AM
oh i love spooky movies i need to down lode it and watch it with my bf love hugging him at really spooky:eek: parts of movies

12voltman59
Feb 1, 2010, 1:44 PM
Some other interesting "scary" movies coming that look interesting"

Shutter Island

http://www.shutterisland.com/?gclid=CKb965jk0Z8CFQsMDQod43K8Eg

It is done by a great director with some top notch actors---certainly looks good!

Also--The Wolfman

http://www.thewolfmanmovie.com/?__source=ggl|werewolf+films|Werewolf+Related|G_Wo lfman_Related&sky=ggl|werewolf+films|Werewolf+Related|G_Wolfman_ Related

Sorry--it had a long url---I have one of those sites that cuts down the size of urls---but someone on here said it didn't work for them when I have used it before---so I guess everyone can cut and paste the addy.

This one looks really good, Anthony Hopkins looks to be up to his evil best in this one--and I like the other actors in this one too.

Both look like they are worth seeing!

void()
Feb 2, 2010, 7:40 PM
The Wolfman

Oo ^__^ *----- Benicio Del Toro -------* ^__^ oO

Void becomes putty.

I'm sorry elian, he's just cute. Couldn't kick him out of bed for eating crackers. Me want a Benicio Del Toro for a birthday gift. Me have?