PDA

View Full Version : To our UK contingent-----ever been to "Glasto"??

12voltman59
Jan 27, 2010, 4:52 AM
I cannot believe that being a music fan---and the number of years this festival has gone on--I have never heard of the Glastonbury Music Festival before. (most years since 1970 according to the info I found)

They have been playing hour long segments of the 2009 edition of this festival the past few days on one of the HD channels my cable company recently added, Palladia, which is one of the few MTV/VH1 family of channnels that is actually music related---it seems to play nothing but musical performances shot in HD.

It looks like that festival would be fun to go to-----even though reading back through the history of the festival----it is either wet, rainy and cool some years, and hotter and drier than hell in others--it never seems to ever have been simply--nice, perfect weather conditions during the festivals.

It is something----visiting the festival's website----the 2010 edition of the fest is already sold out, so it must be damn popular! No doubt of that though--with a total fest attendance approaching 200,000!

I like the thing going on in the audience where everyone is flying a flag of some sort--I love flags---one of the things I like to collect and display are flags of all sorts.

So, for you all from "the other side of the pond"----do tell your fondest "Glasto" memories.

I bet that it is one of those kind of events that in terms of sexual and other ways----pretty much "anything goes." I am sure it is bisexual friendly there.

I may have to make travel plans for one to travel to the UK for late June one of these coming years---obviously though---I will have to get my fest tickets now when they become available in October, according to the new way they sell tickets.

For more info on this fest for others who didn't know of it, check these sites:

http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glastonbury_Festival

12voltman59
Jan 27, 2010, 6:50 AM
It is fun to go through the official festival website---it could take you hours to do that---I'd suggest that you do----and look for the series of short vids that a group of university students produced at last year's event.

This is really more than a music festival--it truly is a cultural happening and it seems like something that would be fun to experience at least once.

This might be something we would want to work towards as a destination trip for many of us----there are a number of logistical considerations relating to attending the event so it would take a bit of planning to make it happen--especially since the event obviously sells out far in advance.

Obviously 2010 is out of the question since its sold out--but not too early to think of arranging attending in 2011 or 12.

For those from here in the US or Canada who finds the thought of going to this festival sometime a possibility-----post up and let's see if we can possibly arrange going one of these coming years.

We wouldn't want too large a group I think just for the logistics of it----but it would be nice to go with some people you already know.

darkeyes
Jan 27, 2010, 8:00 AM
Isn 2011 1a the years no festival is held Voltie? Hav nev been, but me sista goes every cuppla years.. an more often than not rolls bout in the mud like every1 else.. thats the prob wiv Glasto.. wetha jus a smidge unpredictable an the mud baths r legendary.. las year me sis went an came bak wiv the mos brill sun tan... spose by law of averages they hadta get a gud year sum time for wetha..

.. but Glasto is sposed 2 b brill.. mos peeps me knos that hav been tell me.. an wotch quite a lot on telly an it looks 2 b jus awesome.. time a year is always rong for me wich is a pity..

.. but every 1 who is ne 1 in music.. don matta wer they cum from..an how big a name they r... if asked 2 do Glasto..they do Glasto..

.. we usually do T in the Park at Balado in Kinross.. an thats fun an all.. smaller an newer an much less famous.. its held a few weeks afta Glastonbury but wud recommend it 2 ne 1.. http://www.tinthepark.com/content/default.asp?page=s14

Cum ova for a month an ya can do both.. tee hee.

darkeyes
Jan 27, 2010, 9:09 AM
..an at T in the Park..me finally found a use for big strong macho guys.. the big broad shouldas make brill vantage points 2 getya betta view a the acts... an hav no doubt woteva.. at Glasto.. ya will need 'em even more..:tong:

12voltman59
Jan 27, 2010, 9:30 AM
That one looks pretty good too, Frannie-it had many of the same groups play at both--at least bands from the UK and Ireland.

I bet there are more than a few who do make the rounds and attend both events.

It seems that they are having the Glasto every year now----2010 is sure gonna be a big year with U2 headlining the Pyramid Stage. I did see them play like 20 years ago now--just a few days before a show that was supposed to be sold out at a venue in the Fort Lauderdale, Florida area-----I was in a record store and they made an annoucement over the store PA that they had some extra tickets on sale for the U2 concert---me and a buddy were first in line as they opened the window--- we got our tickets.

Those tickets had us standing right up at the stage and we got to shake Bono's hand a number of times.