rissababynta
Jan 22, 2010, 1:42 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERJVizL71P4

Georgie_Girl
Jan 22, 2010, 1:59 PM
That's horrible!!

BLCHGK777
Jan 22, 2010, 2:23 PM
I am so disturb that CNN just stood there and filmed the man gasping for air, dying. How awful for them to film a man dying and just stand there. Then how awful for a police man to SHOOT a guy over some RICE! These people are hungry and the even worse part is that the rice was a gift from a guy who saw them. This needs to be seen more to raise awareness that this is going on and how server it is. And CNN needs to make a public apology for filming this man dying and not trying to help then going over to film his grieving mother which is not cool they should have just let her grieve not bother her. Thank you for sharing this video.

Giggles100
Jan 22, 2010, 4:25 PM
I am so disturb that CNN just stood there and filmed the man gasping for air, dying. How awful for them to film a man dying and just stand there.

That's easy to say when your not in a situation like that ;).

Policeman shoots rice thief. You help rice thief...... Policeman shoots you....

It's really sad though.

darkeyes
Jan 22, 2010, 4:28 PM
That's easy to say when your not in a situation like that ;).

Policeman shoots rice thief. You help rice thief...... Policeman shoots you....

It's really sad though.

...an reely sad thing is summat like it will happen gain.. :(

Giggles100
Jan 22, 2010, 4:34 PM
...an reely sad thing is summat like it will happen gain.. :(

Yep..... seen similar on my travels :(. At the end of the day you can't do anything about it unless you want to become a victim too.

12voltman59
Jan 22, 2010, 4:38 PM
With Haiti I am sorry to say---at this point in this disaster---it is not at all a surprise that something of this nature would happen.

As to the actions of the CNN crew----we don't know what they might have done as far as contacting someone, I mean--when the police did something lilke this in a place like Haiti--what are they supposed to do??--In the situation down there--there was probably not much they could do.

There has already been much criticism of CNN and other news organizations because they have had their doctor/reporters down there, like Dr. Sangay Gupta stepping out of his role as a reporter and going to start operating or treating people--same for Nancy Sniderman of NBC and other doctor/reporters working for other news agencies.

Some news agency in a report I found online the other day got dissed because they loaded some injured people in their trucks to transport the wounded to a place they could be treated.

Anderson Cooper came under great criticism from media critics because in recent days----he saw a young boy get hit in the head with a stone by some thugs and was stunnded---Cooper ran out from his protected position and pulled the boy to the place he was----Cooper got dissed because by doing that "as a reporter he crossed the line from reporting the story to being part of the story!"

As a journalist--you are supposed to maintain a degree of seperation from the story you are reporting on---and letting whatever takes place--take place----but then again---that seems to often fly in the face of common human decency--but that is the condundrum that reporters run into---you are suppoesed to maintain a degree of seperation from what is happening while still being a human being.

As a reporter---you are damned if you do and damned if you don't in many circumstances.

Some reporters will hold very strongly that they have to operate by the ethics and such of "the reporting profession" remaining "aloof and distant from the situation" while others feel they can let that go to do something they feel is the right thing to do under the circumstances at hand that might conflict with "professional standards."

It is hard to say whether the actions of a person following either ethic is "right or wrong"--I guess you can say----as long as they remain consistent in which values they feel work best for them--that is the best barometer of their action or inaction as the case may be.

The fact is though---if you work for a big news agency like The New York Times, CNN or others--if you inject yourself into situations too much and too often---you stand a big chance that you will lose your job and probably not be able to work for any major news organization ever again to boot.

There are a few notable exceptions to this rule---take Geraldo Herrera---but then again he does work for FOX-News now and many reporters in much of the industry do not consider FOX to be a truly legitimate news organization.

rissababynta
Jan 22, 2010, 4:50 PM
With Haiti I am sorry to say---at this point in this disaster---it is not at all a surprise that something of this nature would happen.

As to the actions of the CNN crew----we don't know what they might have done as far as contacting someone, I mean--when the police did something lilke this in a place like Haiti--what are they supposed to do??--In the situation down there--there was probably not much they could do.

There has already been much criticism of CNN and other news organizations because they have had their doctor/reporters down there, like Dr. Sangay Gupta stepping out of his role as a reporter and going to start operating or treating people--same for Nancy Sniderman of NBC and other doctor/reporters working for other news agencies.

Some news agency in a report I found online the other day got dissed because they loaded some injured people in their trucks to transport the wounded to a place they could be treated.

Anderson Cooper came under great criticism from media critics because in recent days----he saw a young boy get hit in the head with a stone by some thugs and was stunnded---Cooper ran out from his protected position and pulled the boy to the place he was----Cooper got dissed because by doing that "as a reporter he crossed the line from reporting the story to being part of the story!"

As a journalist--you are supposed to maintain a degree of seperation from the story you are reporting on---and letting whatever takes place--take place----but then again---that seems to often fly in the face of common human decency--but that is the condundrum that reporters run into---you are suppoesed to maintain a degree of seperation from what is happening while still being a human being.

As a reporter---you are damned if you do and damned if you don't in many circumstances.

Some reporters will hold very strongly that they have to operate by the ethics and such of "the reporting profession" remaining "aloof and distant from the situation" while others feel they can let that go to do something they feel is the right thing to do under the circumstances at hand that might conflict with "professional standards."

It is hard to say whether the actions of a person following either ethic is "right or wrong"--I guess you can say----as long as they remain consistent in which values they feel work best for them--that is the best barometer of their action or inaction as the case may be.

The fact is though---if you work for a big news agency like The New York Times, CNN or others--if you inject yourself into situations too much and too often---you stand a big chance that you will lose your job and probably not be able to work for any major news organization ever again to boot.

There are a few notable exceptions to this rule---take Geraldo Herrera---but then again he does work for FOX-News now and many reporters in much of the industry do not consider FOX to be a truly legitimate news organization.

I understand completely what you have said, and even as you have also said about human decency, it still makes you wonder how they sleep at night.

I don't think I could ever put human life below a career.

ElPincheViejo
Jan 22, 2010, 4:53 PM
Kudos to Anderson Cooper for being a human being first and a journalist second.

rissababynta
Jan 22, 2010, 4:59 PM
Kudos to Anderson Cooper for being a human being first and a journalist second.

Damn straight. I'm sure he won't be losing his job or having people thinking he's an asshole because of an act like that...

12voltman59
Jan 22, 2010, 5:43 PM
Thankfully--when I worked for newspapers--I have almost always worked for "community newspapers" over "hard news" operations and as such----we tend to be more focused on people and such----but for those big news orgs who hire the people who graudate out of one of the big "J Schools"-----that is the ethic they hold to-----

Here is a story I found on the Poynter Institue website that address this subject--the Poynter Institute is an professional organization that deals with education, professional standards and other aspects of journalism.

Read this story:

http://www.poynter.org/column.asp?id=45&aid=176402

12voltman59
Jan 22, 2010, 7:08 PM
OOpsie--boy oh boy did I have one major brain fart--I meant to say Geraldo Rivera---not Herrera!! I don't know where that one came from!!! Whoa Nellie!!:bigrin::bigrin:

Stinger78
Jan 23, 2010, 6:33 AM
Yah, ya know, that is pretty sad and messed up like all hell. I don't mean to come off seeming insensitive to the issue here, but that video sort of reminds me of that show on National Geographic Channel, Locked Up Abroad. What I mean by that is, third world country's police forces are REALLY screwed up, man! Which is exactly why you don't want to do anything remotely resembling a crime. Yes, I understood that these guys did not steal any rice, they were innocent, but it's the F'd up mentality of those 3rd world cops, man. It is pretty sad, though. Poor guys...

Georgie_Girl
Jan 23, 2010, 1:10 PM
I posted this on another forum I visit. Got 3 replies that were pretty much "Who cares?" :(