PDA

View Full Version : I'm So Excited

Karasel
Jan 4, 2010, 7:33 PM
Ok, for the past few years I've been interested in joining the military but I had trouble actually decided which career/path I wanted to take.

I've been juggling different medical fields in my head, since medicine is my passion. And always I came back to surgery. During this time I enrolled in a community college so I could get my basic classes out of the way while I took the time to decided what I wanted to do.

Now that I am comfortable with my decision to go into surgery I've started to do research into the military. My research led to a discovery in an excellent med program that the Army is offering. Today I contacted a recruiter, and they said once I finished with my community college/basic classes stuff and get an acceptance letter into a med school I can apply for their program.

So in a few years I'll be apart of the Army, and when I get out of med school I'll be working for them for a few years as a doctor.

I am so happy, and I just wanted to tell someone. I don't want to tell my family just yet, because my mother is very emotional and I don't want to get her worked up over something that isn't going to happen for awhile anyway.

Realist
Jan 4, 2010, 7:52 PM
That's great, Kara. I worked for the Army for 30 years (7 of that active duty) It was a great career, interesting, traveled, met all nationalities.....

Like anywhere you go, there'll be some BS to put up with, but I wouldn't trade what I did for anything! Do your job, keep a good attitude, and don't sweat the stuff you can't do anything about .............and you'll do well.

Good luck!

rissababynta
Jan 4, 2010, 8:05 PM
OOooo maybe someday we'll be stationed on the same base and you can take care of me!

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Jan 4, 2010, 10:08 PM
Oh Hurrah..a spam troll...

Karasel
Jan 5, 2010, 12:22 PM
Thank you for the support guys.

And who knows rissababynta. ~.^

Lonestar_Northstar
Jan 5, 2010, 10:48 PM
Just keep your sexuality to yourself. I (the husband) was discharged from the Navy after 19 years for being bisexual. Hopefully Obama will repeal Don't Ask, Don't Tell, but until then, keep your sexuality to yourself once you join.

Karasel
Jan 6, 2010, 6:01 PM
Yeah, it's a shame that sexuality is still a problem with the government.

I have been doing research and found that congressmen/senators have put in motion a bill to repeal the "don't ask, don't tell," thing back in Dec. 22 2009. It probably won't be until the end of this year before it goes into effect.. You know how long it takes to pass a bill in this country.

But I still have a year or so to go before I even enlist.. because I have to finish up my Community College stuff since I didn't take the SAT in High School, and I have to have a letter of acceptance from a med school before I can take advantage of the Army's scholarship and serve them... I'll have plenty of time (hopefully) to wait and see what happens with the sexuality thing in the military.

mikey3000
Jan 6, 2010, 7:54 PM
I think you're making a very a very wise decision. Good for you. I wanted to join the army as a young man and go through law school on their tab, but I was talked out of it. Wprst decision I ever made, and I still regret it.

Go for it!

Karasel
Jan 7, 2010, 5:24 PM
I think you're making a very a very wise decision. Good for you. I wanted to join the army as a young man and go through law school on their tab, but I was talked out of it. Wprst decision I ever made, and I still regret it.

Go for it!

Thank you. I have been thinking about this for awhile. One of my not-so-nice friends who is in the Marines laughed at me when I told them about my thoughts of me joining the military a few years back. That quieted me for a bit, but not anymore.

rissababynta
Jan 7, 2010, 6:10 PM
Just keep your sexuality to yourself. I (the husband) was discharged from the Navy after 19 years for being bisexual. Hopefully Obama will repeal Don't Ask, Don't Tell, but until then, keep your sexuality to yourself once you join.

This is not so anymore. Don't Ask, Don't Tell still somewhat applies because people will still be ridiculed by the few jerks who are in the military, but as for people losing their jobs and such, they can't do that anymore.

My husband has a very out and open lesbian in his company (she considered herself by when she first got here, but not so much anymore) and people tease her about liking women. The higher ups occasionally refer to her affectionately as "one of their little men" and she laughs along with them because she knows it's all playful banter. There are also a few men that we know of who are bisexual and although they don't shout it from the rooftops, they also don't go out of their way to hide it.

open2both
Jan 7, 2010, 6:45 PM
Well done!
Semper fi...carry on!