PDA

View Full Version : Last Min New Year's S O S for all cooks.

onewhocares
Dec 28, 2009, 9:23 PM
Some of you know I am a caterer. I had a job for New Years booked but the couple backed out two days ago. I really need the job as it is one of the few paying ones I have had all year. The people canceled because they said the they did not have the money and the guests did not want to spend the money for babysitters and fancy clothes and such for New Years.

When I was speaking to them I made mention of turning the situation around..instead of fancy on New Year's Eve do a New Year's Day Game Day Soup and Sandwich Party. Well they loved the idea. Asked me to come up with Around the World Soups and Sandwiches to offer their guests. I have come up with a few but ask YOU ALL HERE to add your favorites. I know for certain that there are great cooks here...share your recipes.

Soups:

Italian Wedding Soup
French Onion Soup
Doggies Creole Gumbo
Portuguese Kale and Chouriso Soup
New England Chowda

Sandwiches:
Fresh Mozzarella and Tomato with Pesto on Focciccia
Smoked Turkey, stuffing and tarragon cranberry mayo on croissants
Roast Beef on Pumpernickel with caramelized onions and blue cheese
Smithfield ham on cheese bread with sweet pepper relish and cheddar cheese

I need to have ten of each selection...I am coming up with the food and they have to do the games...twister, scrabble, Left right Center, the Banana games.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

Belle

MarieDelta
Dec 28, 2009, 10:22 PM
I always like a nice Chilli con Carne (http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/chili_con_carne/)

and Monastery Lentils (http://www.recipezaar.com/Monastery-Lentils-41384) as well

As far as sandwiches go- Rueben (http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/reuben-sandwich-ii-2/Detail.aspx)

mikey3000
Dec 28, 2009, 10:45 PM
How about a nice big steaming pot of Borscht? Nothing better on a cold winter's day!!!

http://www.grouprecipes.com/18475/ukrainian-borscht-soup.html

onewhocares
Dec 28, 2009, 11:17 PM
I knew you all would be the GREATEST help. Funny you said Chili...I happen to have a batch of Rachel Ray's Chili that I made with venison which I shall add to the mix....some pork added in for tenderness.

Mickey...the Borcht is perfect..Love the color and the depth of flavor.

I was also thinking of a Greek Lemon Egg soup and a Vietnamese Sweet and Sour Fish soup.

Also thinking of Classic Tomato Soup and thus the next element is a Grilled Cheese. Was thinking of doing...and I know this is crazy...but a Mac and Cheese Sandwich.....classic mac and cheese surrounded by one side of American and the other of Cheddar cheese.

Belle

Almost forgot....anyone have some thoughts on making a nice Cuban Sandwich?

jamiehue
Dec 29, 2009, 10:30 AM
Im so fortunate to live in a area that has the best bakery breads around. Love bread too much!!

Realist
Dec 29, 2009, 10:38 AM
Hey Belle, how about beans and franks?

You should have known better than ask me, anyway!

mikey3000
Dec 29, 2009, 10:38 AM
How about nice Veal Panini Sandwiches? YUM!!!!!

Wolf_Sr
Dec 29, 2009, 3:35 PM
Ooops, sorry, I misread the title as "cocks" instead of "cook"

12voltman59
Dec 29, 2009, 4:58 PM
A fave dish of mine for things of this sort Belle is my version of "Savannah Red Rice and Shrimp"

If I can get them---when I am down on the coast or once awhile up here---some unfrozen pink shrimp from the Carolinas or Georgia or the Keys and Gulf Coast--if not--just get some good quality frozen shrimp.

The shrimp need to be peeled of course----and if they are fresh--cook them first in water flavored with sweet onions--hopefully Vidalias, Old Bay Seasoning and several cans/bottles of beer.

Of course--you only add the shrimp to the water after it has reached the boil and is now just hot----when all the shrimp are to cooked color---pour them into a colender to drain and let cool----peel when cool and set aside.

To the main cooking pot---start with a mirepoix of onion, garlic and green peppers (also celery)--sautee them well in either olive oil or bacon fat. (if ya cooked bacon for bacon fat--save that and use it in the dish)

In a seperate pan---work up a blonde roux--saving it to add later. (preferably a cast iron skillet)

For my ingredients: either use chicken, veggie or fish stock based on your preference; tomato sauce, paste and stewed tomatoes; kosher salt; fresh ground black pepper; red pimientos; mushrooms; black olives; cayenne pepper; your fave version of a pepper sauce--Tabasco, Uncle Pete's, PickAPeppa or whatever; clams and clam juice; a good sausage--such as a good smoked sausage, andouille or chorizo; bay leaves for seasoning

Put all those items in the pot after the mirepoix has cooked---with the seasoning done to taste and preference on degree of heat you want, etc.

Stir in the roux mixing throughly about midway in the cooking--total time of cooking varies--at least 45 minutes is my guide.

Simmer these items for a time---seperately cook a favorite form of rice--I prefer hardier "wilder" forms---of rice over the more processed ones---add them later in cooking. ( I have even used either Arborio or Rissotto forms of rice for a different flavor and texture to the final dish)

Not long before ready to serve---add the shrmp--then serve.

Even though its a bit of overkill since I had used the roux--at the end of cooking--I add some File Gumbo powder-it does thicken the dish a bit more of course--but it adds that extra bit of cajun flavor to it.

gfofbiguy
Dec 29, 2009, 5:21 PM
Wow, Volty, that really sounds delish! I'm going to have to try making this sometime!

A fave dish of mine for things of this sort Belle is my version of "Savannah Red Rice and Shrimp"

If I can get them---when I am down on the coast or once awhile up here---some unfrozen pink shrimp from the Carolinas or Georgia or the Keys and Gulf Coast--if not--just get some good quality frozen shrimp.

The shrimp need to be peeled of course----and if they are fresh--cook them first in water flavored with sweet onions--hopefully Vidalias, Old Bay Seasoning and several cans/bottles of beer.

Of course--you only add the shrimp to the water after it has reached the boil and is now just hot----when all the shrimp are to cooked color---pour them into a colender to drain and let cool----peel when cool and set aside.

To the main cooking pot---start with a mirepoix of onion, garlic and green peppers (also celery)--sautee them well in either olive oil or bacon fat. (if ya cooked bacon for bacon fat--save that and use it in the dish)

In a seperate pan---work up a blonde roux--saving it to add later. (preferably a cast iron skillet)

For my ingredients: either use chicken, veggie or fish stock based on your preference; tomato sauce, paste and stewed tomatoes; kosher salt; fresh ground black pepper; red pimientos; mushrooms; black olives; cayenne pepper; your fave version of a pepper sauce--Tabasco, Uncle Pete's, PickAPeppa or whatever; clams and clam juice; a good sausage--such as a good smoked sausage, andouille or chorizo; bay leaves for seasoning

Put all those items in the pot after the mirepoix has cooked---with the seasoning done to taste and preference on degree of heat you want, etc.

Stir in the roux mixing throughly about midway in the cooking--total time of cooking varies--at least 45 minutes is my guide.

Simmer these items for a time---seperately cook a favorite form of rice--I prefer hardier "wilder" forms---of rice over the more processed ones---add them later in cooking. ( I have even used either Arborio or Rissotto forms of rice for a different flavor and texture to the final dish)

Not long before ready to serve---add the shrmp--then serve.

Even though its a bit of overkill since I had used the roux--at the end of cooking--I add some File Gumbo powder-it does thicken the dish a bit more of course--but it adds that extra bit of cajun flavor to it.

onewhocares
Dec 29, 2009, 6:58 PM
WOW...you all have given me some amazing ideas.

The more I explored this ideas the more I liked it so decided to do this same idea myself for New Years Day.

To the sandwiches we have added the CUBAN...thanks for the tips on bread and pickles, a Ruben with corn beef and pastrami, a spaghetti and meatball pannini, a fresh mozzarella and vine ripe tomato on focaccia with fresh pesto.

Soups that have been added have been Chicken Tortilla, Corn Chowder, Venison Chili, Vietnamese Sweet and Sour Hot Pot.

We have also added games...bunco, twister, LRC, The Banana game....

More updates to follow.

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH. We have such great cooks on here. Volty I printed out the recipe and will combine it with Dogwoods. Realist...I am bound and determined to teach you some basic cooking skills.

Belle

FalconAngel
Dec 30, 2009, 3:17 AM
You may want to try serving the soups in bread bowls.

It is perfect for a party like that, since it is a huge reduction in cleanup and cost, since the bowls usually get eaten when the soup is gone.

roy m cox
Dec 30, 2009, 3:44 AM
Beer Chili is nice,

i use fosters beer and pork sausage "erfs" it's so good ....

:tong::tong::tong::tong::tong::tong:

Doggie_Wood
Dec 30, 2009, 8:00 AM
Belle - Gumbo is always good but costly to prepare as well as time consuming.

Tamalle pie is good this time of year - - just like a chilli pie but with a tamalle added - Tamalle, chilli and Fritoes

Doggie :doggie:

onewhocares
Dec 30, 2009, 9:23 AM
LOVE this idea Falcon. I saw smaller version of a pumpernickle boule at BJ's Wholesale before Christmas. I am going to call this morning to see if they will have them for New Years.

Belle

You may want to try serving the soups in bread bowls.

It is perfect for a party like that, since it is a huge reduction in cleanup and cost, since the bowls usually get eaten when the soup is gone.

12voltman59
Dec 30, 2009, 1:43 PM
Like Doggie said--gumbo can be both pricey and time consuming--mine is too since I tend to buy the best quality ingredients when I do it--and while the actual dish itself is not that hard---doing the other steps like making the roux, cooking, cooling and peeling the shrimp is pretty labor and time intensive, and also cooking the rice---the kitchen sure gets messy with all the various pots and pans that I use in preparing this dish--but oooohhh its worth it!

I do love that you added the Cuban---when they are good ones--they are among my most fave sandwiches. I have a few places that I have found that make some good ones--mostly down in Florida it seems.

It does sound like you have some good dishes and good ideas for the other parts of this job--glad you were able to switch things up and offer your client another option for them and you.

texasman6172003
Dec 30, 2009, 6:57 PM
Belle my Dear,Since i am from Texas,you would probably think i would say a nice Pulled pork BBQ Sandwich.Which would be great,butt how about this Sandwich. It is probably my Fav Sandwich,how about a Good Old Fashioned BLT!!! Bacon,Lettuce and Tomatoes,on good old Wheat Bread. Man i love em. And for a twist i like too add Onions too mine.. Good luck Dear with your party!!!

aussie blonde
Dec 30, 2009, 7:57 PM
OOPS Belle, I thought it read SOS for all cocks..........:smilies15

Cheers Chook :bigrin:

CalanderGirl
Dec 30, 2009, 8:10 PM
I love a good potato soup :)

12voltman59
Dec 30, 2009, 9:03 PM
A good corn chowder is a good soup---but no need if ya already have clam chowder---Italian Wedding Soup is great too---I just have not found a recipe for that which turns out--but I have found a few places I have found that have some great versions of this soup.

llllllllll
Dec 30, 2009, 10:07 PM
other than adding a nawlins po boy,i can't top what has already been offered...but i played a really fun game called apples to apples on xmas daycheck it out lots of fun for a big crowd

onewhocares
Dec 30, 2009, 10:07 PM
UPDATE

First....BREAD

I have found a source for good hard crust, soft center bread which we can use for Cuban sandwiches.

Was able to contact the local BJ's Wholesale Club which will supply us with pumpernickel boules for soup in a bread bowl. ( I shall core out the innerds and make croûtons with added, garlic and spices which I shall make into croûtons for the French Onion Soup)

The local Walmart of all places has a foccacia which is perfect for the fresh mozzarella and pesto tomato sandwich.

Second...........PICKLES

I have bought two large jars of half sour pickles for both the Cuban sandwiches as well as sides for other sandwiches.

Third............SOUP

The soup course is now growing by leaps and bounds...seems everyone likes soup. All the previous suggestions are a go and one rather unexpected request...Mullitagaunty (forgive the spelling). Just when I thought it was going to be easy sailing. We have added an heirloom tomato soup.

Fourth..........not planned on but added by others........DESSERT

Congo Bars
Chocolate Cookie Ice Cream Sandwich Cookies
Rice Pudding
JELLO.............RED or Orange with whipped cream from a can

This party is taking on a life of its own.

Lots of adult beverages to be served. NO GUEST driving home.

Again.......thanks to all....yet again.

BElle

12voltman59
Dec 30, 2009, 11:11 PM
Belle--not exactly a cheap or easy dessert-but sure a good "adult one"---we called it a "Carolina Triffle"

Take a pre done or easily prepared angel food cake---hopefully one that is rather large because you want to be able to cut it either in half length ways or in some sort of fashion---however you cut it--between the "layers"---either make your own fruit filling or simply use a good quality jelly, jam or preserves---cherry or strawberry being best. (I have used raspberry as well)

You also want to make up some fresh whipped cream as both a topping and to go along with the fruit filling between each layer---before ya put the final topping on it once you have made as many layers as you wish---this is the "adult part"---use some good liquer that is a fave-- For this--I prefer to use Grand Marnier---cover the cake liberally with it--then put on your top layer of whipped topping---it is YUMMY!!!

I cooked good "Savannah style" food long before there was Paula Dean--if only I had known what a lucrative market it would have been to make some great food in that city!!!

Mrs.F
Dec 31, 2009, 2:12 PM
Sorry Belle, I am not that good of a cook. As Flounder will tell you I cook rather bland and he likes spice.

Looking over your soups..there are several that I've never had or heard of. But I have to say that I love Corn chowder and chicken tortilla. I have a recipe that I got from my sister n law called taco soup that is really good and served with cheese and sour cream and tortilla chips. But it looks as if you've got your menu all planned.

Wish you luck with all this food and I hope it's all a big hit.

Happy New Year!!

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Jan 1, 2010, 5:07 PM
lol Ya'll are killin' me here.....Made me Horribly hungry...lol

You can try a very simple Southern stew called Hobo Stew. Its very rich and filling, and damn good for ya too. I has a large soup bone, a good cut up beef roast, taters, carrots, onion, celery, diced 'maters, and all kinds of other veggies if you wish, and one packet of Beef Stew mix. You can get a small cabbage and put in this too, but I personally like just the afore mentioned veggies best. :} Start off with the soup bone on the crock pot over night, along with the cut up roast. Or, place all of it in the crock and cook it over night on low, but start out on high to bring all of the stock out of the marrow in the bones. Also add a couple dashes of good Adolph's meat tenderizer on the meat.

Cook it on low all day the next day, then serve it up with sweet cornbread the next evening. :]

As far as sammiches, definately go with Tex's idea of the pulled pork out of a pressure cooker, or a good beef brisket marinated in Teriyaki sauce, then grill on an indoor or outdoor grill, sliced thin and served on a hoagie bun with Au Jus, or delux French Onion soup.
Not fancy, not expensive and always good stuff, Maynard..lol
Yer Cat

onewhocares
Jan 1, 2010, 7:45 PM
THANK YOU........THANK YOU...........THANK YOU

I just wanted to thank all who posted on this thread. NEVER in my wildest imagination think that this idea which was for a client yesterday would have generated such a life of its own. My job yesterday was nice...some budget considerations made the menu a bit limited. When we were through our dinner consisted of a three cheese Swiss Fondue, a field green salad and Thai Chili and Coconut Mussels.

For our guest today we had..

Corn Chowder ( with a ham bone left over from Christmas)
Cheese and Potato Leek Soup ( leftovers from the Fondue last evening)
French Onion Soup
Classic Tomato Soup
Seafood Gumbo
Iced Borscht with Fingerling Potato and Dill
Vietnamese Sweet and Sour Soup with shrimp

Guests brought:

Armenian Lamb Vegetable Soup with Dialitini
Beef Barley Soup
Chicken Tortilla Soup

Sandwich Buffet included:
Vine Ripe tomato with Fresh Mozzarella and Basil Pannini
Cuban Sandwiches with Half Sour Pickles
Roasted Rare Beef with caramelized onions and blue cheese
Five cheese Grilled Paninni
Chicken Salad with dried Cranberries and Pecans

I made no desserts but someone brought the MOST amazing cake/brownies which she called Texas Brownies which when I get it I will Pass on to you all.

You folks are the BEST.

Belle

12voltman59
Jan 1, 2010, 9:56 PM
Wow, Belle--that food doesn't sound too hateful to me---in fact it all sounds pretty good.

I know that right now being winter and all--I am making lots of soups and stews. Been making some good beef lentil/veggie soup using some beef tips I had gotten from Omaha steak as part of a gift pack someone sent me.

Glad your gatherings went off well.

Happy New Year, Belle and all!!

gfofbiguy
Jan 6, 2010, 11:27 PM
I know this party has come and gone already, but I thought I'd share my Creamy Green Chile & Corn Soup (with Chicken - optional):

Creamy Green Chili and Corn Soup (with Chicken - optional)

In a 3 qt. saucepan, mix and heat:
- 4 to 6 C chicken stock (I used 6 cups)
- 2 cans (4 oz.) chopped green chilies
- 1 tsp Mexican seasoning (I could not find Mexican seasoning, but I used ½ tsp of chili powder and ¼ tsp each ground cumin and garlic powder)
- 1 tsp crushed garlic (I used 2 cloves crushed garlic)
- 1 C frozen corn (I used ½ bag of 16 oz. frozen corn for this part and the other half of the bag for the saute part)
- 1 C chopped onion
- Shredded chicken (optional - you can use leftover rotisserie chicken or what I did was used some boneless, skinless chicken breasts (2) and put them in with all these ingredients until they were cooked through, pulled them out and shredded them and put the shredded chicken back in AFTER using the stick blender/blending and then adding it in with the ingredients below)
- Finely chopped jalapeno, seeded and white pith removed (VERY optional - I used less than a quarter of a jalapeno because it was very hot, some are milder - you don’t need to use it at all; depends on your taste and bravery)

In a skillet, saute:
- 2 T butter
- 1 can green chilies
- 1 C frozen corn
- 8 oz. sliced mushrooms
~~~~~~~~~~
- ¾ C Mexican cream (not sure where to buy Mexican cream, but I used equal parts heavy cream and buttermilk which is the substitute - or you can use sour cream)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Blend (with stick blender, or in 2 batches in regular blender) the saucepan mixture.

Return to saucepan (if necessary), and add skillet contents.

Add Mexican cream, heat through.

Serve with a little chopped cilantro and Mexican cotija cheese crumbled on top (I just used shredded “Fiesta”/Mexican cheese mixture). Can also top with tortilla chips.

*Originally this recipe did not include shredded chicken, but I added it on my own and it was delicious!

**If you want to make this veggie-friendly, use vegetable stock instead of chicken stock/broth and no shredded chicken.

ENJOY!!!

onewhocares
Jan 10, 2010, 7:44 PM
As promised....The brownies that were the hit of the New Year!!. I have not made them myself but this is from the lady who made them.

TEXAS BROWNIES

CAKE
1 Cup of Water
1 Stick of Butter
1/4 Cup of Cocoa
1/4 Cup of Oil

Melt the above in a microwave or on stovetop. When it is all melted well, add:

1 Teaspoon of Baking Soda

Mix well and add to:

2 Cups of Flour
2 Cups of Sugar
1/2 Teaspoon of Salt

Mix all ingredients together with hand or stationary mixer. When combined add:

1/2 Cup Buttermilk
2 Eggs (room temperature)
1/4 Teaspoon Pure Vanilla

Mix well. Pour into a jelly roll pan and bake for 20 minutes at 400 degrees. Ice the cake while it is still hot.

ICING

1 Stick Butter
1/4 Cup Cocoa
1/3 Buttermilk
1 Small Box of Confectionary ( Powder) Sugar

Toppings: Chopped Nuts, Coconut

Melt butter, cocoa and buttermilk. Pour this over the powdered sugar and stir till combined. You may choose to add topping.

Option: Right before you bake the cake, you can add a can of cherry pie filling and slightly incorporate into the cake batter. You can add chopped up pieces of Maraschino cherries in the frosting if you wish.

Taken from Sunday Go to Eatin Cookbook.

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Jan 10, 2010, 9:03 PM
Does this Have to be put in a jelly roll pan, Miss Belle? I dont have one..:( But this sounds Really good..:}
Thanks for the recipe.
Cat

onewhocares
Jan 11, 2010, 8:37 PM
Well since I have not made these yet myself....I am NOT the greatest baker of all time I think any sheet cake pan that has tall enough sides to hold the cake mixture as well as the frosting. I would also think that you might be able to cook it in traditional 9 x 11 brownie pan but you might have to adjust the cooking time. The smaller the pan the longer it will take to cook. I will try and make these in the next week or so and make a double batch..one in a jelly rollish pan and another in a brownie pan and return with the results.

Belle

**Peg**
Jan 12, 2010, 11:34 AM
ohgawd I can't look.....I can't cook......the shame of it all *whimper*

somebuddy feed me PLEASE *lol*