PDA

View Full Version : Why post on a thread you don't like?

cliffordmontero
Dec 19, 2009, 11:04 AM
Ok, I am a fairly new member and have been reading, and occasionally responding on some threads here. I know its an internet thing, not a site specific thing, but why, oh why, must people post on threads when they have nothing to say. "This thread is stupid" "People are so immature" and "What is the point of this thread" are not contributing to the conversation. Would you walk up to a group of people in a bar talking and tell them they are immature or that their conversation is pointless? Doubtful. If you did, you surely wouldn't get very far with anyone from the group who remembered you in the future. Regardless of the topic discussed, you probably just alienated some people. Oh, let's not forget that now, whenever you meet someone new on here, at some point they will probably look at your profile. On that profile is a link that shows all your threads and responses to threads. When I find someone I want to know better online I click these links. You add nothing valueable to the conversation. So why enter it? Ok, I will get off my soapbox and back to the sofa now.

Realist
Dec 19, 2009, 11:20 AM
I agree. Sometimes things people say irritate me, but if you comment to refute them, it'll just feed their fire. I'm trying hard not to respond to things I don't agree with, or have no interest for.

cliffordmontero
Dec 19, 2009, 11:48 AM
thanks realist, i just dont get some people i guess . . . maybe they need to try taking some immodium as a suppository to cure their diarhea of the mouth . . . or in this case keyboard

welickit
Dec 19, 2009, 1:19 PM
Drew Rule # 4: 4. Have fun. Learn. Share. Entertain. Discuss. Argue. Enlighten.
The fact that someone doesn't like a thread doesn't take away their right to state their opinion. Which probably would go into an endless loop with Rule #2: 2. Be polite - flame the idea if you feel you must, but not the person.

eddy10
Dec 19, 2009, 1:30 PM
Disagreement is good. It brings out both sides of a topic. But, in doing so it is good to remember to be civil to each other.

darkeyes
Dec 19, 2009, 1:35 PM
Drew Rule # 4: 4. Have fun. Learn. Share. Entertain. Discuss. Argue. Enlighten.
The fact that someone doesn't like a thread doesn't take away their right to state their opinion. Which probably would go into an endless loop with Rule #2: 2. Be polite - flame the idea if you feel you must, but not the person.

Agreed in the main hun.. jus cos the thread we don like don mean we don hav owt 2 say on the matta...

..howeva..sumtimes, not always an not often, sum peeps spill out such bile that not only dus we havta flame the message but also tear the messenger 2 shreds!!! :)

djones
Dec 19, 2009, 2:10 PM
This thread is totally pointless, and you people are all immature . . . sorry, couldn't resist !

I do agree, though, if you have something to add to the conversation, share it. Weather it is a point of agreement or a counterpoint, constructive comments are what make a positive discourse.

There are people who feel they need to comment on everything even when they have little or no value to add to the conversation. I simply try to take them with a grain of salt and read past.

Most of the threads I have read - weather I comment on them or not - have had a lot of interesting comments from people on the site. I think the genuine outweigh the attention hungry.

cliffordmontero
Dec 19, 2009, 2:21 PM
thanks for the thoughts guys, and thanks for citing rule #2, which is why i started this thread. figured i could talk about the idea rather than the people who are doing it . . . plus bitching in the other threads is off topic to the original thread . . . another pet peeve lol

12voltman59
Dec 19, 2009, 2:23 PM
Agreed in the main hun.. jus cos the thread we don like don mean we don hav owt 2 say on the matta...

..howeva..sumtimes, not always an not often, sum peeps spill out such bile that not only dus we havta flame the message but also tear the messenger 2 shreds!!! :)

Most of the time when I see a thread I don't care for I do keep my comments to myself and don't post----but I do respond if I see that someone has posted up something that I think is profoundly factually wrong or what the person has said is something "hateful" towards others.

Even in such responses-I try to not respond in a "personal way" to what I think is wrong--if I think someone posted something up that is factually in error---I will include in my response, links to stories, sources, etc, that present what I feel to be the correct and "objective facts." (sadly-- in this highly polarized time---it can be hard quite often for two parties to come to an agreement on just what those objective facts are--but that is another discussion)

On some occassions---I have seen fit to "tear the messenger 2 shreds" as Frannie put it---but that is rare for me and I have only done it when what a person has said is so nasty, vile and hateful to others that I feel the person lost any right to expect any respect or 'fair play" from me.

Fortunately--cases such as that are really rare on here--and when they do take place---it may take a bit---but eventually Drew does wind up booting such a person from the site--even if that takes a few times since many of those who put up such posts have this nasty tendency to keep creating new names and re-joining the site.

Bi_Druid
Dec 19, 2009, 3:06 PM
I agree that pointless flaming of a thread is, well, pointless.

Perhaps there should be an 'Ignore Thread' button built in (a little like what another forum type site, thingbox.com, has) where those who feel that a thread is pointless have the chance, or at least the prompt, to just ignore the thread altogether, thus saving themselves face and the rest of us a lot of ear/eye ache.

(If there is such a tool on here I afraid I have totally missed it myself)

Just a suggestion.

Long Duck Dong
Dec 19, 2009, 7:10 PM
I am really a sod for debating and challenging opinions and ideals, others and my own.....

but... I try to look at all points in a thread...and review my opinions and understanding of things.....

if it was not for opposing opinions, I would never realise some of my opinions and understandings are wrong.... but if it was not for some of the idiots that fail to put in a decent rebuttal other than, this subject is stupid or... yeah wotever..... then I would have nothing to rate my intelligence against, either lol