PDA

View Full Version : A "commercial" of sorts--forgive me!

12voltman59
Nov 24, 2009, 7:09 PM
:bigrin:As I have told some of you---the kind of music I like to listen too falls in the genre of "Americana."

It is sorta hard to accurately define what kind of music that makes up this genre because it is sort of a catch all, grab bag, gumbo stew sort of genre.

Americana music can be a bit of rock and roll--various forms of rock to boot, alternate, sorta pop, blues, bluegrass, bluegrass gospel, folk, and country.

The form is also often called "traditional" or "roots music."

In the past year--I discovered (kinda late to the party since the station just celebrated its 12th anniversary) a great commercial free, listener supported FM radio station called WDVX out of Knoxville, Tennessee. I have been driving through Knoxville since the mid-1970s, but for some reason in recent years had not even tried to find any interesting local stations while driving through---thats in part to having XM radio going or having CDs playing with the advent of those forms of music delivery.

On my trip down to Florida last year during the holidays, for some reason--I had been tuning into radio stations along the drive south--when I got into the Knoxville region--I found the station and was so happy that they streamed their broadcasting.

I got down to my folks in Florida, got online and found the WDVX website to stream the station--since that time--I have been streaming that station pretty much all the time since--it's on now as I type this post.

The point of my posting is that if you like music that is more along the lines of alt rock, blues, bluegrass, alt country, folk and other similar forms of music-then I just suggest that you try streaming WDVX for awhile. I really think you will like this station. But of course--if you don't like this sort of music--then don't bother.

The link is www.wdvx.com

In a set of music--you might hear music from artists as varied as Bob Dylan, The Grateful Dead, the Del McCoury Band, Emmylou Harris, Buddy and Julie Miller, Hank Williams and Hank Williams III, Ray Wylie Hubbard, Bruce Springstein, Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash or his daughter Roseanne, Lucinda Williams and many, many more.

I offer this information in the hopes that some of you might be wanting to find a form of music that is different from that of commercial radio--most of the music played on those sort of stations to me--tends to be very restrictive and kind of formulaic. I also find it to be boring since it is either the same old stuff played over and over again--or if its new--it all sounds alike. I find that to be pretty boring for the most part.

I hope that if I "turn ya on" to listening and liking the station--you will become a regular listener--and in turn--you make a contribution somewhere on down the line to help keep this great station on the airwaves and the net. I just made a contribution during their recently concluded fall fund raiser.

Not only does WDVX play lots of great music that comes on CD and vinyl--they have a live-on air daily musical performance program that is broadcast noon eastern time each weekday from their studios located in the Knoxville Vistors Center in downtown Knoxville. This show, The Blueplate Special, brings some big names at times---but most often serves as a showcase for lesser known artists.

The station is also closely connected with a live monthly music show that brings some top talent in the Americana genre to Knoxville that is broadcast on the station called "Tennessee Shines" from a great downtown Knoxville theater---The Bijou. That show takes place the last Wednesday evening of each month and airs live.

Here are a few pics I took during a visit to the studios last month catching a Blue Plate show. I also got to spend time with Grace, the midday DJ in the broadcast studio. The couple playing call themselves The StereoFidelcs--they hail from Asheville, NC.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r216/mpgarr/102809_0332.jpg

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r216/mpgarr/102809_0348.jpg

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r216/mpgarr/102809_0349.jpg

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r216/mpgarr/102909_0228.jpg

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r216/mpgarr/102909_0235-1.jpg

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r216/mpgarr/102909_0227.jpg

Well--I hope that I didn't piss too many of ya off for posting up yet another thread that has nothing to do with SEX!!! :bigrin:

I do hope that at least someone checks out the station and likes it as much as I do---and that you help keep it going by making a contribution--I want to do what I can to help keep this station going so that it helps keep this genre of music going strong too.

TwylaTwobits
Nov 24, 2009, 8:01 PM
Are any of those people you?

Why are you advertising this do you work for them or get a kickback?

Cool 12Volt, I'll check it out, I listen to a few different stations online from time to time.

rdy2go
Nov 24, 2009, 8:03 PM
Hey Volty, might I suggest a band called, "Antigone Rising" They kind of have that folk, blues, rock thing going on. I think they might fit in with your musical tastes. They blend it all together very nicely. My pick is the live CD, "From The Ground Up." I really enjoy the sound. Give 'em a whirl.

Long Duck Dong
Nov 24, 2009, 8:03 PM
lol 12 volt, your pics are incredible..... we have nothing like that in new zealand....and I have saved ya pics to my computer and mailed them to a friend that would love to see them

I love the plates, absolutely amazing

MarieDelta
Nov 24, 2009, 8:21 PM
I'll give it a whirl :D

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Nov 24, 2009, 9:11 PM
Well Az, he did it because he likes the station, and because he Can.
Great job Voltie, the pic are top shelf as usual, Honey.
Hugs
Cat.

jem_is_bi
Nov 24, 2009, 11:31 PM
I love your photos!!
I will check out the music too.

roy m cox
Nov 24, 2009, 11:45 PM
yay i like all kinds of music and not bad pic's to thx volt "hugs"

:bipride::bipride::bipride::bipride: