PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving food!

Realist
Nov 24, 2009, 9:54 AM
How about this for an interesting switch?

I'm surprised Joe didn't post this first!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNf9t8R-ZWo

Belle, take notice..........you're always looking for something new and different to serve.

Doggie_Wood
Nov 24, 2009, 10:32 AM
mmmmmmmm - Turkey balls - mmmmmmm

I would rather try the small ones first then go for the larger ones and let them "explode" in my mouth - mmmmmmm

Doggie :doggie:

llllllllll
Nov 24, 2009, 10:45 AM
Thats about 10 minutes from me,i'll be there tomorrow night. Let's have a ball or 2

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Nov 24, 2009, 2:55 PM
LMAo It cant be any worse that eating the gizzards and I Love those!:bigrin:
People worry me sometimes, ya know that?? lol
Cat

foreverbi
Nov 24, 2009, 3:51 PM
I wonder if they taste kinda salty & sweet at the same time. I bet they would be good dipped in a white sauce. :male:;)

Realist
Nov 24, 2009, 4:13 PM
Bar Code, tell us how they are!

I'd try 'em.

12voltman59
Nov 24, 2009, 5:09 PM
I have had "Rocky Mountain Oysters" before--they are actually kinda tasty!!!

Cow's tongue is pretty good too and that sounds nasty when ya first think about it, but once ya get past that---its good eats!!! :bigrin::bigrin:

Lots of things fall into that category I must say----like Chitlins!!!

As far as the Turkey balls are concerned---I'd try 'em--think I will have to take a trip up there the next time they have that "festival"--they actually sound kinda yummy. I am trying to stay away from fried things these days though--but I am sure one order wouldn't kill me--since all the other fried food I have put down my gullet all these years hasn't done so yet!!!!!

Now--there is no way I am ever gonna try fried Twinkies-(it is either bad enough to eat something fried or to eat a Twinkie on its own-I cannot imagine combining the two things!!!)--and some of the other things I saw that gets fried on this one Travel Channel or maybe it was a Food Channel program about all the wild things that people fry up---they featured this one restaurant someplace--my god-they will try to fry everything there!!!!

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Nov 24, 2009, 5:27 PM
NoNoNo..Chitlins are just Wroooong. I'm a bad Southerner in many respects when it comes to food, and chitlins is one of them things I cant deal with. I also cant handle black eyed peas and grits. Just something I never aquired a liking for.
Chitlins is bait, plain and simple...lol
Turning a little green...
Cat

12voltman59
Nov 24, 2009, 5:54 PM
NoNoNo..Chitlins are just Wroooong. I'm a bad Southerner in many respects when it comes to food, and chitlins is one of them things I cant deal with. I also cant handle black eyed peas and grits. Just something I never aquired a liking for.
Chitlins is bait, plain and simple...lol
Turning a little green...
Cat

Mizz Cat--I don't know if ya eat pork breakfast sausages or not--but if ya knew all the things they mix into that--you wouldn't eat that either if Chitlins got ya turning green around the gills--it really is only a matter of degree between eating chitlins and pork breakfast sausages--same goes for pork hot dogs too---

Chitlins--like a lot of things-do have to be prepared properly--but once you do that--it is no more dangerous to eat them than many things we do eat without thinking about it--and they basically do taste like a form of sausage. There is this old timey mom and pop grocery in Cairo, Georgia--they get their chitlins from some local processor and they are really good. It has been a few years since the last time I was in that part of Georgia so maybe the store is gone now too--I hope not---

I love grits too--once again--if they are done right and the quality of the initial product is good--most of those "instant" ones they sell are not worth warm spit!!

Go to Savannah, Charleston or other southern cities to eat in an upscale restaurant and you most likely will find versions of grits that are downright wonderful and are more gourmet than "down home!"

Most restaurants in Savannah worth their salt at all offer at least one version of grits mixed with cheeses, shrimp and/or other seafoods---and man---they are great--not at all lilke the grits I am sure that you are thinking of!

I do agree with ya---never been a big fan of black eyed peas, nor am I a fan of "greens" like collards and such done in the "old timey way" where they cook them to death---there are some wonderful new ways of preparing those though.

llllllllll
Nov 24, 2009, 5:59 PM
That restaurant is in Ny city Volty, I saw the same show..Fried twinkies,fried Snickers bar,even fried a slice of pizza...I'll pass.....

and as far as the turkey testicles go,I'm a veteran of the festival,I have been going to one or another around here for probably 25 years.I know of at least 3places that still celebrate the Balls of Tom...they actually taste really good.Crispy seasoned outside with the texture inside of chicken livers,and taste as well.. I'll take 2!!!

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Nov 24, 2009, 6:00 PM
lol Gimmie some greens and cornbread and big ole helping of them there Turkey Balls, and I'd probly be a happy camper! lol.
Thank you Gentlemen for the laughs..:}:bigrin:
Cat

littlerayofsunshine
Nov 24, 2009, 6:02 PM
I am just shocked and appalled!! J/K.

I luv me some black eye peas or purple hulls with smoked neck bone or ham hocks or even a nice smoke hambone, same with my turnip and mustard greens..Yum Yum.

As for grits, gotta have the butter salt and pepper and none of that cinnamon and sugar shit.

As for this thanksgiving,

I am making cornbread dressin to feed the southern belle in me and Stuffing for the Yank in hubby.

As for the rest, its a bunch of yummy messed up things that everyone likes and isn't a typical menu. Everyone of the kids got to chime in on the festivities.

FalconAngel
Nov 24, 2009, 6:20 PM
The saddest part of all of this celebratory food, is that there is some moron out there with a recipe for "vegan" pumpkin pie. It comes without pumpkin.

1. How can you have pumpkin pie without pumpkin?

2. How can you have a pie, which has no animal products in it to begin with, and then come along and call it "vegan" by removing the main ingredient (namely pumpkin)? That's just dumb.

onewhocares
Nov 24, 2009, 10:26 PM
Well I am a caterer and ok cook, but I might be a little hard pressed to present this as an option to my clients. I doubt that those would be a hit at a party.

Personally, I like my balls hanging low and belonging to a smart, humorous man who enjoys my company.

Belle

rissababynta
Nov 25, 2009, 9:28 AM
Nope...uh uh...will never eat that...noooooooooooooooo

I never eat anything that's considered out of the ordinary and I refuse to. I'm a picky eater and forever will be. Especially with testicles lol.

rissababynta
Nov 25, 2009, 9:30 AM
The saddest part of all of this celebratory food, is that there is some moron out there with a recipe for "vegan" pumpkin pie. It comes without pumpkin.

1. How can you have pumpkin pie without pumpkin?

2. How can you have a pie, which has no animal products in it to begin with, and then come along and call it "vegan" by removing the main ingredient (namely pumpkin)? That's just dumb.

Well, pumpkin pie generally has evaporated milk in it...and most crust recipes call for butter...but other than that I'd like to know what vegatable eaters have against eating a...vegatable :-/

csrakate
Nov 25, 2009, 9:40 AM
We all know how pumpkin pie is REALLY made....

rissababynta
Nov 25, 2009, 10:09 AM
We all know how pumpkin pie is REALLY made....

LMFAO ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww that is SO messed up

jamiehue
Nov 25, 2009, 11:52 AM
Living in Lexington Ky a while ago i threw out all country hams haging in the tack room u know meat hanging in a barn it looked not right. Needless to say this yankee recieved a stern lesson in the culinary aspects of the south.Today i love country ham!!

FalconAngel
Nov 25, 2009, 12:44 PM
...but other than that I'd like to know what vegatable eaters have against eating a...vegatable :-/

:soapbox: :soapbox:

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Nov 25, 2009, 1:35 PM
lol My adopted boy says I'm half "Pinko" because I dont like turkey and am not doing a traditional Thanksgiving dinner this year..lol

My menu this year will be: Cornish hens basted lovingly with a little garlic butter--stuffed with My homemade cornbread stuffing, collard greens and bacon cooked in the crockpot over night, creamed onions, tater salad, white corn, my bread, pumpkin pie, sinkhole brownies, and strawberry daqueries..:}
Somebody walks away from my house hungry, its their Own damn fault! lol
Have a fantastic day Ya'll!
Cat

jamiehue
Nov 25, 2009, 2:13 PM
lol My adopted boy says I'm half "Pinko" because I dont like turkey and am not doing a traditional Thanksgiving dinner this year..lol

My menu this year will be: Cornish hens basted lovingly with a little garlic butter--stuffed with My homemade cornbread stuffing, collard greens and bacon cooked in the crockpot over night, creamed onions, tater salad, white corn, my bread, pumpkin pie, sinkhole brownies, and strawberry daqueries..:}
Somebody walks away from my house hungry, its their Own damn fault! lol
Have a fantastic day Ya'll!
Cat

Ill be walkin to your house hungry!

Doggiestyle
Nov 25, 2009, 6:54 PM
:bigrin: Well now tomorrow (Thursday) I am going to meet up with a bunch of motorcycle bums for a party / picnic. As a matter of fact I am, right now, boiling up a skinned, sack of potatos and makin up a big bowl of my garlic, mashed taters.
After we get done stuffing ourselves we will spend the rest of the afternoon drinkin beer, tellin war stories, remember when(s), did you know(s), and havent you heard(s) and so on. Even though I usually don't drink anymore, considering the day I probably will drink a few myself too. :tong:

So, I hope that everybody has at least as much, if not more, than I will tomorrow :cool:

Your friend, :doggie:

You know, it sounds like CAT is gonna have a mighty good tastin table also. If I wasn't comitted, and lived a little closer, I would just invite me / invade her house.

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Nov 25, 2009, 7:10 PM
lol You are welcomed here anytime, Doggy, you know that. As long as you dont bring a gaggle of big, hunky, handsome, bikers up to the house......My girls would be too busy drooling to eat! lol (But I bet it would be one hell of a good time!)
Grinning Cat. :bigrin:

llllllllll
Nov 26, 2009, 7:55 AM
Just an update..the turkey nuts were divine.I had 2 cups...yum yum..I suggested to the owner they would really get some attention if they served the cups in a jockstrap(clean of course ) LOL just kidding it was a fun time,place was absolutely jam packed.Can't wait til nexts years nut fest.

Happy Thanksgiving gobble gobble

Realist
Nov 26, 2009, 8:30 AM
Thanks for the culinary report!!

I was wondering if you were beginning to feel sexually attracted to turkeys, now?

I knew a fellow who had a pig heart valve installed. He said he developed an uncontrollable urge to root in a garden, afterwards!

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Nov 26, 2009, 1:17 PM
Oh Gawd, Real. I now have this horrible visage of Bar out in the back yard trying to "spread his tail" and strutting.... Shivers....lol:eek::bigrin::cool:
Bad, bad Cat