PDA

View Full Version : Human Kindness...All it takes is ONE person.

onewhocares
Nov 17, 2009, 10:40 AM
Someone sent this to me and I thought that I should pass it along. Human Kindness is AMAZING. All it takes is ONE person.

The Sack Lunches

I put my carry-on in the luggage
compartment and sat down in my
assigned seat. It was going to be a long flight. 'I'm glad I have a
good book to read. Perhaps I will get a short nap,' I thought.

Just before take-off, a line of
soldiers came down the aisle and
filled all the vacant seats, totally
surrounding me. I decided to
start a conversation. 'Where are you headed?' I asked the soldier seated nearest to me.

'Petawawa. We'll be there for two
weeks for special training, and then we're being deployed to Afghanistan.

After flying for about an hour, an
announcement was made that sack lunches were available for five dollars. It would be several hours before we reached the east, and I quickly decided a lunch would help pass the time..

As I reached for my wallet, I
overheard a soldier ask his buddy if he planned to buy lunch.
'No, that seems like a lot of money for just a sack lunch. Probably wouldn't be worth five bucks. I'll wait till we get to base.'

His friend agreed.

I looked around at the other
soldiers. None were buying lunch. I walked to the back of the plane and handed the flight attendant a
fifty dollar bill. 'Take a lunch to all those soldiers.' She grabbed my arms and squeezed tightly. Her eyes wet with tears, she thanked me. 'My son was a
soldier in Iraq ; it's almost like you are doing it for him.'

Picking up ten sacks, she headed up the aisle to where the soldiers
were seated. She stopped at my seat and asked, 'Which do you like best - beef or chicken?'

'Chicken,' I replied, wondering why she asked. She turned and went to the front of plane, returning a minute later with a dinner plate from first class. 'This is your thanks..'

After we finished eating, I went
again to the back of the plane,
heading for the rest room.
A man stopped me. 'I saw what you did. I want to be part of it.
Here, take this.' He handed me twenty-five dollars.

Soon after I returned to my seat, I saw the Flight Captain coming down the aisle, looking at the aisle numbers as he walked, I hoped he was not looking for me, but noticed he was looking at the numbers only on my side of the plane. When he got to my row he stopped, smiled, held out his hand, and said, 'I want to shake your hand.'

Quickly unfastening my seatbelt I
stood and took the Captain's hand. With a booming voice he said, 'I was a soldier and I was a military pilot. Once, someone bought me a lunch. It was an act of kindness I never forgot.' I was embarrassed when applause was heard from all of the passengers.

Later I walked to the front of the
plane so I could stretch my legs.
A man who was seated about six rows in front of me reached out his hand, wanting to shake mine. He left another twenty-five dollars in my palm.

When we landed I gathered my
belongings and started to deplane. Waiting just inside the airplane door was a man who stopped me, put something in my shirt pocket, turned, and walked away without saying a word. Another twenty-five dollars!

Upon entering the terminal, I saw the soldiers gathering for their trip to the base. I walked over to them and handed them seventy-five dollars. 'It will take you some time to reach the base. It will be about time for a sandwich.
God Bless You.'

Ten young men left that flight
feeling the love and respect of their fellow travelers. As I walked
briskly to my car, I whispered a prayer for their safe return.
These soldiers were giving their all for our country. I could only
give them a couple of meals.

It seemed so little...

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

May God give you the strength and courage to pass this along to
everyone on your email buddy list....

I JUST DID

Shhhhh 47/F/usa
Nov 17, 2009, 11:15 AM
That just warmed me to the bottom of my heart.

MarieDelta
Nov 17, 2009, 11:17 AM
Very touching Belle, thanks for that.

quiet1fornow
Nov 17, 2009, 11:21 AM
Belle,

What a wonderful story....I am not much for forwards and the like...but had to this one...It certainly should make each of us stop and see the "soldiers" or others that are right around us in need of some love and human kindness......

There was a time not too long ago that havig the money to do this was not a thought...these days it is...however...having said that....this story for me was a needed "frame of reference" adjuster!! so..thanks I needed that!

Q

rissababynta
Nov 17, 2009, 11:33 AM
My husband has had several people offer to buy our meals when we have been out, a few times before he came back into the military and a few times since. At one point, we were not doing well with money and it was at least another week before foodstamps hit so I started putting it out there that if any of my neighbors had anything in their pantries that they didn't want and knew that they weren't going to eat to let me know because I'd gladly take it. It soon hit the ears of a woman that lives off base that owns a dry cleaners and she gets a lot of business from soldiers for their dress uniforms. All of a sudden one of my neighbors who knew the woman showed up at my door with bags and bags of groceries, toilet paper, shampoos and soaps, diapers and wipes and an extra twenty dollar bill "just in case." This woman and her husband had taken time out of their day specifically to go food shopping for us. It's nice to see that some people in the world are appreciative of what soldiers do.

The sad part is that there are a lot of people out there that are jerks too. i remember being on craigslist recently and someone was bitching greatly about how someone in the area gave decent discounts and payment plans for the dog training service they offered to military (this is a military town, lots of people do this) and this person was blasting the business and saying that they are fucked up for "treating military so much better than the apparent low life civilians in the area." Needless to say, military and non military had some sore words for this person on craigslist that day haha.

As a military family, we have also been prayed upon purposely for the fact that we are military...and that hurts...so to see people in the world going in the other direction, it's heartwarming. Half the time I wish I could be treated like a normal family, but in reality, we aren't.

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Nov 17, 2009, 12:48 PM
I had read this one before Miss Belle, and it never fails to warm my heart and bring a small tear to my eyes. :}
Very cool Honey.
Cat

Realist
Nov 17, 2009, 6:19 PM
Something unexpectedly nice happened to me, when I was in the Army, in Germany.

Picture this: Bavaria, 1959, a 19 year old soldier, who had never been anywhere in his life. I had ridden with another soldier to Munich for Oktoberfest. (He just re-enlisted and invited me along, on his dime) He gets really drunk, starts a fight, a German Policeman Hauls his butt off to Jail! I'm stuck, without a ride, 90 Kilometers from my post!

It was at the end of the month and as a private, I only made about $69 a month, so........... naturally, I was broke. I was lost, cold, and in a foreign country. It was almost dark, sleet was turning into snow. I had walked about 5 miles, trying to hitch-hike and thinking I'd probably freeze to death; no one would find me until Spring!

Finally, a German family picked me up in a tiny Goggomobile. I sat in the back seat with a little boy, who seemed excited to meet me. They all seemed very friendly and cheerful.

Remarkably, the husband had been in the German Army and was captured in North Africa, then sent to Florida, where he spent the rest of the war. His English was good and he was pleased that I was from Florida, too.

He stopped at a Gasthaus where he bought me a hearty meal and I drank about 3 cups of really strong coffee. He told me about his experiences in the Army and In Florida.

They weren't even going to Regensburg, where I was stationed, but they went about 20 miles out of their way to take me to the front gate of the post where I was stationed.

I never saw them again, but what luck I had to meet them! Looking back, I don't know why I didn't get their addresses and at least write them a thank you note and maybe a gift for their kindness.

You meet the nicest people, when you least expect it!