PDA

View Full Version : Catholic Church gives D.C. ultimatum over same-sex marriage

Toad82
Nov 13, 2009, 10:32 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/11/11/AR2009111116943.html

Catholic Church gives D.C. ultimatum
Same-sex marriage bill, as written, called a threat to social service contracts

By Tim Craig and Michelle Boorstein
Thursday, November 12, 2009

The Catholic Archdiocese of Washington said Wednesday that it will be unable to continue the social service programs it runs for the District if the city doesn't change a proposed same-sex marriage law, a threat that could affect tens of thousands of people the church helps with adoption, homelessness and health care.

Its good to know they care.

Long Duck Dong
Nov 13, 2009, 10:44 PM
I respect the churchs right to express their views and opinions..... I may not agree with them.... but I respect their rights

but I will say that the church seriously needs to read that lil book called the bible, and read the part where jesus says * what you do unto the smallest of my children, you do unto me *

if they are so concerned with reaching to the people of the world, they would not see in terms of color, culture, race or sexuality, they would simply see in terms of * they need, we have *

as for the right to discriminate...I actually support that right..... if a wedding planner doesn't wish to do a wedding for a gay couple they should not have to.... its a choice.... but most people would go to a LGBT supportive wedding planer any way so its a none issue, and a person should be free to decline to provide a service if they feel uncomfortable.... under the condition thats its a non essential service....

healthcare is essential, a wedding planner is not

FalconAngel
Nov 14, 2009, 12:51 AM
Remember that these are the folks from the same religion that made it punishable by death to claim that the Earth revolves around the sun.

They will, very likely, make good on their threat. Shame, since they do quite a bit for the poor and those in need........even if it is only selectively.