PDA

View Full Version : Arkansas 10-Year-Old Won’t Pledge Allegiance Until Gays Gain Equality

bensonmum65
Nov 12, 2009, 6:24 PM
A 10-year-old Arkansas boy name Will Phillips has decided that he cannot in good conscience pledge allegiance to the flag as long as the country for which it stands refuses legal equality to its GLBT citizens.

Thumbs up for this young man. Full article http://www.edgesanfrancisco.com/index.php?ch=news&sc=&sc2=&sc3=&id=98884

FalconAngel
Nov 12, 2009, 8:10 PM
There should be more kids like this in the world. It would give me more hope for future generations. He understands the Pledge and has the honor to stand for it in it's hardest core meaning.

This kid is a smart one, so lets hope that he is not beaten down, like many are, to just follow the crowd.

onewhocares
Nov 12, 2009, 9:16 PM
Kudos to a young man who stands up for his own beliefs and parents who support him fully. Will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Belle

TwylaTwobits
Nov 13, 2009, 1:15 AM
When I first saw this my first reaction was what does a 10 year old know unless he is the child of GLBT parents. After reading the article I was impressed to know that the family had many openly gay friends and that is why the young man knew there was a problem with the system of equality in this nation.

He chose a way to show his beliefs and that deserves something. But as was pointed out this won't change a thing, writing letters to senators and lawmakers might.

America isn't perfect, but it gives this young man the right to do as he did.

Long Duck Dong
Nov 13, 2009, 1:16 AM
I kinda view this on the same level as swearing on the bible in court.... it means nothing unless you actively believe in what you are saying

I am not down playing what the kid is saying...... nor their actions..... but drawing into question, the swearing on the flag if a persons heart is not in it in the first place...and they do not believe in the * cause * they are proclaiming

during my time in the scouts and in the army, I did not swear a allegiance to honour god... something that that did cause issues.... especially when I was told to go thru the motions, and I refused....

what i did swear, was to honour and respect my fellow men and women, to the best of my ability, in war time and peace, to uphold the law and defend my country from those that sought to take from us, the right to freedom
( my own verse )

I got asked why I did that...and I said simply " I will not swear allegience to a deity I do not follow, nor a country that will pass laws that I do not agree with, or engage us in combat situations I do not support..... but come hell or fuckin high water, I will not watch my fellow soldiers become cannon fodder if I am able to get them home...and I am not in the forces to serve my country, but to bring my fellow soldiers home

darkeyes
Nov 13, 2009, 4:09 AM
That's a nice gesture but what does it actually do?

Politicians and others really are not going to care if one or even a bunch of elementary school students do not stand for the pledge for whatever reason.

Writing to your representatives and Senators is way more effective than silly silent protest like this.

An politicians giv a sod bout a few lil letters? Grow up ya silly boy... they care bout publicity an popular appeal.. who gets more?? lil boy who has appeal or a few lettas wich mean nowt 2 them? Think bout it..

12voltman59
Nov 13, 2009, 10:56 AM
It might just be a symbolic gesture to refuse to say the Pledge of Allegiance----but at least he is doing something.

Kudos to this young man--good for him!!

I hope that others follow his example, maybe if enough people did it-it might change some minds.

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Nov 13, 2009, 1:26 PM
Ya know..I find this very commendable, but what ever happened to kids being kids? Used to be that kids didnt bother with the politics of grown up affairs and were more interested in going outside and having fun. He should be out conducting the business of being a kid. :}
Sigh. They grow up too quickly nowdays.
Just my humble :2cents:
Cat

Annika L
Nov 13, 2009, 4:26 PM
That's a nice gesture but what does it actually do?

Politicians and others really are not going to care if one or even a bunch of elementary school students do not stand for the pledge for whatever reason.

Writing to your representatives and Senators is way more effective than silly silent protest like this.

What does it actually do? It allows one child to live with integrity! He sees hypocrisy in the pledge, so he refuses to take it...how can you judge that as silly?

How much hypocrisy in the pledge would be sufficient, in your wise and mature view, to justify refusing to participate?

And do you honestly believe that if he'd written any Congress person or persons...*any* of them...he would have drawn nearly as much publicity to his cause as his "silly silent protest" did?

I for one appreciate the nice gesture, and won't judge him for not acting on my behalf in a manner of your choosing.

Shhhhh 47/F/usa
Nov 13, 2009, 5:39 PM
Ya know..I find this very commendable, but what ever happened to kids being kids? Used to be that kids didnt bother with the politics of grown up affairs and were more interested in going outside and having fun. He should be out conducting the business of being a kid. :}
Sigh. They grow up too quickly nowdays.
Just my humble :2cents:
Cat

My sentiments exactly!

Annika L
Nov 13, 2009, 11:47 PM
You're not even from the United States so what would you know about writing, corresponding, or even communicating with politicians from the United States?

I don't know if it shows on your face, but it certainly shows in your posts.

Do you really mean to suggest that Americans are authorities on writing, corresponding, or otherwise communicating with politicians from the United States? Must be a nice little world you live in, but it's not this one.

But no, by all means, engage in a political debate with Fran. You might learn something.

bisexualman
Nov 14, 2009, 12:06 AM
I have always skipped the "Under God" part and it always raises eyebrows. I think the young man has taught me why I shouldn't say it in the first place.