PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone out there know Berlin?

pmg_ams01
Feb 28, 2006, 1:07 PM
I'm passing through Berlin in April (en route between two separate jobs elsewhere in Europe), and it's a place I've never been to. Can anyone recommend somewhere to stay, eat, go out (it's just for one night - a Saturday night). Any "must see" visitor attractions (of any description)?
Thanks. PMG.

DannyJ
Mar 12, 2006, 8:46 PM
When you visit Berlin, make sure to go a variety of public restrooms (seriously); you'll find they don't use individual urinals, but have single porcelain or metal facilities along the width of the wall/-s, allowing variing numbers of men to use at the same time.
Some of the guys will be peeing; a good percentage of the others will be there to jack off, to suck or to be sucked...this is Germany, so any guys who aren't interested in these practices will just finish their business and leave without a word, while those who are into them will be encouraged by the others to participate.
This is standard behavior for public restrooms throughout Germany, so enjoy your trip.

OralBradley
Mar 13, 2006, 1:07 PM
I can't say that I saw any similar activity when I was stationed WACOM, but that was years ago and the world has made a few changes. It was common thoughout Europe to have urinals along walls on public streets, and the ones is Bierstuben were usually a wall with a catch basin at the foot. Women had two footprints and a hole for their convenience.

mistymockingbird
Mar 14, 2006, 12:07 AM
Berlin is a fabulous city. I lived in Germany for four years and Berlin was hands down my favorite German city.

Stay near Alexanderplatz if you can, the hotels are much cheaper on the east side and you can ride the U-bahn (subway) all over town for a very cheap daily rate. The Checkpoint Charlie museum is wonderful if you're looking for some history. Also near the museum (within walking distance) is the only remaining section of the Berlin Wall, it also has a display attached.

There are wonderful restaurants of every ethnic variety. One of the only places in Germany you can get decent Chinese food. But if you're only there for one night go for German. I can recommend some dishes if you're interested.

There are plenty of clubs to go to. You can usually ask someone at your hotel for a recommendation. You will also see plenty of flyers, etc while out and about in the city. And you can look for a local entertainment guide.

Bathrooms can be fun (or so I've heard) but remember you do have to pay to pee.

happyjoe68
Mar 14, 2006, 4:20 PM
I've also lived in Berlin, but never saw any of the urinals in the street - they cant be practical in a high wind ... Just use a phone box like all the other drunks!

pmg_ams01
Mar 15, 2006, 7:00 AM
Thanks for the replies. Just to let you know that the trip has been cancelled as I've been asked to work that weekend - so I'm taking the flights but at different times, and now all I'm going to get out of Berlin is a 2 hour transfer stop on my way to Vienna. Now does anyone know Vienna..? :rolleyes:

mistymockingbird
Mar 21, 2006, 12:58 AM
If you are a classical music buff at all go to Schonbrunn Palace! It is fabulous. There are several major compsers buried in a cemetery just outside the city. Indulge in sachertorte, the local specialty dessert. It is well worth it. I'm a music person so a trip to the opera house was a requirement. All in all a beautiful city with lots of history. Can't help you on the nightlife here though, I was just there for the day.

tom_uk
Mar 21, 2006, 3:53 AM
When you visit Berlin, make sure to go a variety of public restrooms (seriously); you'll find they don't use individual urinals, but have single porcelain or metal facilities along the width of the wall/-s, allowing variing numbers of men to use at the same time.
Some of the guys will be peeing; a good percentage of the others will be there to jack off, to suck or to be sucked...this is Germany, so any guys who aren't interested in these practices will just finish their business and leave without a word, while those who are into them will be encouraged by the others to participate.
This is standard behavior for public restrooms throughout Germany, so enjoy your trip.

............... just wank in the urinals, they all do it! - i feel the long and firm hand of the german law reaching out - i don't recommend it ………

tom_uk